Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast can you get a passport....NOW

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
1 day?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Passport office website will be able to provide the details.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah thanks, tried on there earliest appointment is in two weeks, not very fast track! Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SillySkier, have you tried appointments at all offices?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Call the Advice line? Might be better than trawling thru their website.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SillySkier wrote:
Yeah thanks, tried on there earliest appointment is in two weeks, not very fast track! Crying or Very sad


We had to get one short notice in October.

The availability on the website changes. Initially it looked like days and nothing local. Checked back 10 mins later and found local next day availability.

There was still processing time there after. Don't recall how long exactly, but more than 24hrs
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was dangerously close to having to pay for an in person appointment (ie 1hr turnaround) when I didn't realise mine had expired after booking a last minute trip to Avoriaz. You still had to book a few days out, and from what I remember it was the thick end of £250. It was printed while you wait, so in theory you could book an appointment for the morning of the day you travel. They do a week express via the post office for a little less.
My stress levels were through the roof waiting for it to turn up. TBH next time I might pay the extra.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last time I tried to get a same day passport in London they wouldn't let me do it, they said I looked too different from the photo in my passport, the new passport photo and in person... So left with no passport.

Ironically, when I went back out to France and applied by post I got it back within 2 weeks, even though I used the same photos they'd previously refused.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ster wrote:
Call the Advice line? Might be better than trawling thru their website.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000


Rang that and got a ton of automated messages then told to go to the website and it cut off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swskier wrote:
@SillySkier, have you tried appointments at all offices?


Yep Peterbrough was the 20th. There were other at later dates for London, I'm in Wales, there's none for Newport.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adam123 wrote:
SillySkier wrote:
Yeah thanks, tried on there earliest appointment is in two weeks, not very fast track! Crying or Very sad


We had to get one short notice in October.

The availability on the website changes. Initially it looked like days and nothing local. Checked back 10 mins later and found local next day availability.

There was still processing time there after. Don't recall how long exactly, but more than 24hrs


It said a week to send it after the in person appointment, is suspect longer with the bank Holidays.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TheGingerPrince wrote:
I was dangerously close to having to pay for an in person appointment (ie 1hr turnaround) when I didn't realise mine had expired after booking a last minute trip to Avoriaz. You still had to book a few days out, and from what I remember it was the thick end of £250. It was printed while you wait, so in theory you could book an appointment for the morning of the day you travel. They do a week express via the post office for a little less.
My stress levels were through the roof waiting for it to turn up. TBH next time I might pay the extra.


I know that feeling. I'm missing the SFB and probably Eosb too.
Currently there's no appointments where they do it while you wait due to covid Confused
Didn't see a 1 week option for the post office but the bank hols would mean it would be more than a week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SillySkier wrote:
swskier wrote:
@SillySkier, have you tried appointments at all offices?


Yep Peterbrough was the 20th. There were other at later dates for London, I'm in Wales, there's none for Newport.


Try Glasgow. A big office and the Scottish holidays normally don't coincide with England and Wales.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just checked.

The earliest is Durham on the 20th.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I applied on line the normal way as soon as I'd realised and I'd checked the other options.

With the bank holiday Friday and Monday I doubt any but the wait service would get it to me in time, but 'due to covid' that's not an option atm.

I used it to get back from France at the first lockdown, thought I had a few years on it but with the forced 'break' those years have gone.

There's a space on the families bash this week and the Eosb next week if you know anyone...

To say I'm kicking myself is a understatement. Utterly Gutted! Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I just checked.

The earliest is Durham on the 20th.


Ridiculous isn't it!

Thanks for looking
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When does your current passport expire ? (you only need 3 months before expiry for the EU)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SillySkier wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I just checked.

The earliest is Durham on the 20th.


Ridiculous isn't it!

Thanks for looking


Is it ridiculous though, nobody travelled for a couple of years. Lockdown restrictions removed so suddenly everyone wanting to travel and realised passports have expired so increased number of folks panic renewing their passports.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SillySkier wrote:

I applied on line the normal way as soon as I'd realised and I'd checked the other options.

With the bank holiday Friday and Monday I doubt any but the wait service would get it to me in time, ...


You might get lucky for EosB...
When I renewed mine online last year the new one arrived within a week. Posted the old one the morning after I applied, got confirmation it had arrived the next day and was being processed. Couple of days later email saying new one was posted and it arrived the next day.
The bank holiday affecting Skullie post but then you'd need to sort a flight at short notice which would be another problem....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
SillySkier wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I just checked.

The earliest is Durham on the 20th.


Ridiculous isn't it!

Thanks for looking


Is it ridiculous though, nobody travelled for a couple of years. Lockdown restrictions removed so suddenly everyone wanting to travel and realised passports have expired so increased number of folks panic renewing their passports.


Well yes, as its what they call the fast track service. 2weeks to get an appointment and then a week to send is longer than the post office method mentioned above. (which I might have done had I known)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SillySkier, I'm not saying it's good and civil service and also government web presence is notoriously slow to respond to changes in demand or information updates.

Last time I had to get an urgent refresh/new passport was in 2017.

Got an appointment at Victoria (London) office within 48 hours, turned up, had quick interview, went for a walk to the war museum and had pint in a pub, picked my new passport up 3 hours after scheduled appointment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adithorp wrote:
SillySkier wrote:

I applied on line the normal way as soon as I'd realised and I'd checked the other options.

With the bank holiday Friday and Monday I doubt any but the wait service would get it to me in time, ...


You might get lucky for EosB...
When I renewed mine online last year the new one arrived within a week. Posted the old one the morning after I applied, got confirmation it had arrived the next day and was being processed. Couple of days later email saying new one was posted and it arrived the next day.
The bank holiday affecting Skullie post but then you'd need to sort a flight at short notice which would be another problem....


Everything crossed.
My mum said the same, hers came in a week doing it online. I did everything as fast as you but no confirmation yet as suspect they don't do Saturdays.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
@SillySkier,
Last time I had to get an urgent refresh/new passport was in 2017.

Got an appointment at Victoria (London) office within 48 hours, turned up, had quick interview, went for a walk to the war museum and had pint in a pub, picked my new passport up 3 hours after scheduled appointment.


Yep when I realised, and the panic had subsided that's what I was hoping to experience, I would have driven to London or wherever if there had been any point. As you say pre-pandemic things were a lot different.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are staff at work in our Durham passport office right now. I am pretty sure they stopped doing 9-5 Mon-Fri some time ago, as they were advertising recently for evening and weekend staff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SillySkier, you are not alone. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/09/meltdown-at-uk-passport-renewals-forces-travellers-to-cancel-easter-breaks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
@SillySkier, you are not alone. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/09/meltdown-at-uk-passport-renewals-forces-travellers-to-cancel-easter-breaks


Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

When does your current passport expire ? (you only need 3 months before expiry for the EU)

I thought it was 6?

My daughter's passport expires start of December, so have just sent off for renewal as will get it done while it's not needed and, if it is 6 months, then it's hopefully back in time. From article above it seems that renewals are a little quicker than new passports, I guess less checking to do
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SillySkier, you walloper! When some bint nicked my passport I applied on 24th January and it turned up on 3rd Ferbuary (even though they were advising several weeks), but that counted as a new passport so takes a bit longer than a renewal. Fingers crossed it gets sorted out, I know all too well how much it sucks to get this close to a ski trip and miss out Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
Quote:

When does your current passport expire ? (you only need 3 months before expiry for the EU)

I thought it was 6?

My daughter's passport expires start of December, so have just sent off for renewal as will get it done while it's not needed and, if it is 6 months, then it's hopefully back in time. From article above it seems that renewals are a little quicker than new passports, I guess less checking to do


From Gov.uk (for entry to Schengen zone)

"..If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must meet the Schengen area rules.

Your passport must meet 2 requirements. It must be:

less than 10 years old on the day you enter (check the ‘date of issue’)
valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)...."
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@albob, I believe some airlines have their own policy separate to that, which is generally what causes the issue. But even our own passport office doesn't respect the validity of a passport within date. When I had to get my new one I asked a colleague to verify my identity but it was rejected because his passport was due to expire later that month...which makes me wonder what the point of the expiry date is, given that it was only for verification purposes rather than travel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JailBaitMcFlude, ".. I believe some airlines have their own policy separate to that, which is generally what causes the issue..."
That is the worry - tryin to argue with an airline official that 3 months is Ok and them refusing to let you on the Plane
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob wrote:
@JailBaitMcFlude, ".. I believe some airlines have their own policy separate to that, which is generally what causes the issue..."
That is the worry - tryin to argue with an airline official that 3 months is Ok and them refusing to let you on the Plane


This was defo an issue when the changes first came about, and resultantly got some decent press coverage at the time, so I think they are all generally clued up, and systems updated for the actual rules now.

I was in this situation (4 months left, and within 10 years from issue) in sept last year with tui and had no issues. Some generic emails before flying mentioned checking validity and 6 months, but I think they were sent the same regardless of destination as a coverall. A friend was similar with EJ and was also fine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bad news for anyone wanting a new passport, official Government advice is now to allow up to 10 weeks to get a passport...... Shocked

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/allow-up-to-ten-weeks-to-apply-for-a-british-passport
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Bad news for anyone wanting a new passport, official Government advice is now to allow up to 10 weeks to get a passport...... Shocked

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/allow-up-to-ten-weeks-to-apply-for-a-british-passport


Blimey.

My daughter's UK passport expires the day after we're due to return from France in the summer. Looks like she'll be relying on her Canadian one to get in and out of France.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Okay: we just scraped back from France before our passports expired so better submit ours now for October half term... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just got mine back (yesterday) in 13 days.

its some crappy black colour but thats a different thread
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Did that and got a ton of automated messages then told to go to the website and it cut off
It's exactly the same when you ring the published number for HMRC. Absolutely shocking public service rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, I tried a few months ago to ring HMRC, I gave up in the end, and did something online which seemed to work. They used to be very helpful .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hobbiteater wrote:
just got mine back (yesterday) in 13 days.

its some crappy black colour but thats a different thread


Did you get an email saying they have your old one?

My old one should have been with them on Monday but I haven't had anything but the automated email about the online application.
Should I be worried it's got lost? (no I didn't do recorded Confused )

Nevermind I've just had the email!

1 week...Not bad for first class post! Shocked
Nothing will be done now before next Tuesday Sad


Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-04-22 15:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy