Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet Cancellation - customer rights? SORTED

Poster: A snowHead
My families EasyJet return flight from Munich to Gatwick has been cancelled for 16th Apr. My sister and family were able to get themselves rebooked onto Innsbruck no problem. When my parents tried to do same they refused and trying to charge fare difference.

They are all sharing a private transfer

In fact while typing Mum messaged to say she has booked at todays horrific fares as she is panicking as believes there are only 2 seats left. She phoned twice both times they were refusing.

What rights and routes do we have to make sure she isn't out of pocket like this due to their cancellation

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-04-22 11:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My sister has been ok hold for 30mins or so so far trying to resolve for her (Mum gave them permission on her last call to deal with my sister)....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, as I understand it, if the flight is cancelled with <14>4 hours later than scheduled). It's your choice which option to take, not the airline's. Some airlines, particularly the low cost carriers, are notorious for trying to dodge the second option especially if it involves more costly flights with another carrier.

What isn't in the regs, is booking your own alternative and then reclaiming the cost. I suspect that if you could prove (in court) that the airline wilfully did not follow the regs, you might be able to reclaim the costs, but it won't be easy. I believe there is quite a bit of case law around this, but as I'm not a lawyer I really can't say how it plays out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And should have said - really is easiest if you can persuade easyJet to handle it themselves (I e. they rebook/reroute). They will likely fight to avoid paying compensation (prob 250 euro/person).

This is all assuming that the UK is still using the old EU rules, of course. I don't think that has changed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were telling her not to book and wait for my sister to get through. She was a panicking Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really feel they are taking advantage of elderly people here. Dont like to think of my parents as such but actually.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trying to work out but think fair difference is greater than compensation.... but might be about sameas presume that 250 is per person and £457 Extra is for both
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, just bear in mind that to get the compensation (and possibly even refund rather than a voucher) will probably take multiple calls, filling out online forms (that may not work, or will try to direct you to accept an alternative) and ultimately threatening small claims action. It shouldn't be like that, but sadly it often is.

The lowest stress option, if the 250 euro per person is a cost your parents can carry for a few months, would be to rebook via a different carrier (at own cost) and take the refund plus compensation. No absolute guarantee on what you'll get at the end but the travel will be sorted. However, it's a fair amount of money to be at risk, and the refund/compo process is probably stressful too.

Not a nice situation to be in Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Because they really would rather come back via Gatwick - car will be in that airport car park there aren't other options. Also they want to he on same flights as sisters family as sharing private transfer from resort
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good news is sister has got it sorted.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, phew, relief all round I think. Airlines really need to start treating everyone equally and in accordance with regulations.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now here's hoping mine (or their) outbound flights don't get cancelled this week end. Lufthansa doesn't seem to be doing too well on that morning flight

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 6-04-22 11:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@NickyJ, phew, relief all round I think. Airlines really need to start treating everyone equally and in accordance with regulations.

When my sister got through they are claiming what they did for my sister was outside policy. How can that be right there were no EasyJet flights from Munich to Gatwick from any other carriers or themselves that day or even the day before or after. Innsbruck is a sensible alternative
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, easyjets policy may well be to avoid rerouting via another airline, at all costs. Whether that is in line with the regs is another matter. Flyertalk or similar boards would give you chapter and verse on it if you have the time and the will to wade through it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrolf, they weren't even trying to change airline! Just country as lets face it Munich isn't that far from Austrian border

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 6-04-22 12:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@NickyJ, but still not what easyJet want to do, because it's not simple for them. I really dislike the way the budget airlines operate in situations like this - and avoid them wherever I can as a result.

I am nervously waiting for cancellation notice of mini_mg's flight to the UK on Sunday (first time she will travel on her own) and/or my flight out the middle of next week. Then if course we have to get home again. So I may be asking you for advice soon!
snow report
@mgrolf, fingers firmly crossed. Lufthansa cancelled my return flights a couple of months ago, so plenty of time to reorganise but also they had several other flight times the same day. Fingers firmly crossed none us get more cancellations
latest report
@mgrolf, just a heads up. My parents nor sisters have yet been informed of the cancellation they only notice when they check on the booking!
snow conditions
mgrolf wrote:
@NickyJ, as I understand it, if the flight is cancelled with <14>4 hours later than scheduled). It's your choice which option to take, not the airline's. Some airlines, particularly the low cost carriers, are notorious for trying to dodge the second option especially if it involves more costly flights with another carrier.

What isn't in the regs, is booking your own alternative and then reclaiming the cost. I suspect that if you could prove (in court) that the airline wilfully did not follow the regs, you might be able to reclaim the costs, but it won't be easy. I believe there is quite a bit of case law around this, but as I'm not a lawyer I really can't say how it plays out.
I have had recent success reclaiming for booking my own alternative. Easyjet cancelled our outbound flight at about 5pm the day before a 6am departure, so we had a panicked couple of hours trying to rearrange everything, knowing we were in a race with 200 other passengers on the same flight. The only alternative flights they were offering would have meant we lost two days of a week holiday, so we chose to grab some super-expensive flights with RyanAir, leaving from a different airport a bit later the same day. I made three claims:
1. Refund of flights for family. £300
2. Statutory compensation £4x220=880
3. Expense claim: Ryan flights £1600 plus taxi to different airport

They paid 1 and 2 quickly. With 3, after three weeks they told me they were unable to process the claim due to a 'technical error', which the cynic in me thinks was just an excuse to restart the clock for the deadline to respond. I resubmitted exactly the same claim and about 3 weeks later they said they would pay it (minus the refund they already gave, which is fair enough). I was expecting an initial rejection, on spurious grounds, such as that they had not approved me to arrange my own alternative flights (which would of course have been sold out by the time I had got approval) or that I should have waited for the EJ flights two days later (so I'd have lost about a third of my holiday) or that you can't have a refund AND get paid for the alternative flight. I was confident I could knock down these claims, but thankfully I did not need to. They have just paid up.

Looks like it is worth the effort of making a claim and see if they play fair, as they have with me.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 21-05-22 14:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
@koru, similar experience. We had an Easyjet outgoing flight cancelled, with costs already sunk on hotels and the return flight. They have accepted the obligation to pay the difference to travel on a more expensive (because of late booking) Ryanair flight the same day - though we are still waiting for the refund to turn up in our bank account.

In our case the flights both left from the same UK airport, and the fact they arrived at different destination airports (both Rome) was not an extra cost because we needed to buy train tickets anyway.
snow report
Of course, they don't tell you about any of this, other than the right to a refund, unless you go hunting in their help pages. I wonder how many customers just take the refund without realising that's just the start of what they are entitled to?

If most customers do make claims like this, it must be very costly for EJ. They sold, say, 200 seats at maybe an average of £100, so they were expecting to make £20k from the flight. Instead, they potentially pay out £600 per seat, so they make a loss of 200x600=£120k. Ouch!
snow report
j b wrote:
@koru, similar experience. We had an Easyjet outgoing flight cancelled, with costs already sunk on hotels and the return flight. They have accepted the obligation to pay the difference to travel on a more expensive (because of late booking) Ryanair flight the same day - though we are still waiting for the refund to turn up in our bank account.

Just to complete the story and say that the refund has now been credited.

They actually dealt with it fairly well - except that the email cancelling the flight only told us about refunds, not that we could claim the cost of re-booking with someone else which at that notice was inevitably more expensive. You need to ask.
latest report
koru wrote:
Of course, they don't tell you about any of this, other than the right to a refund, unless you go hunting in their help pages. I wonder how many customers just take the refund without realising that's just the start of what they are entitled to?

If most customers do make claims like this, it must be very costly for EJ. They sold, say, 200 seats at maybe an average of £100, so they were expecting to make £20k from the flight. Instead, they potentially pay out £600 per seat, so they make a loss of 200x600=£120k. Ouch!

/NERD MODE=ON

EJ mainly fly Airbus A319s (126) and A320s (168+20neo's). A319's have 156 seats (and they're talking about reducing that to 150), whilst A320's have 186 seats. They do have a few (four?) newer A321 neos which have 236 seats.

Ryanair only use B737-800's, and all have 189 seats.

In short, neither EJ nor FR will be selling 200 tickets for any flight (with the exception of EJ and the A321's). BA on the other end might (and do!)

/NERD MODE=OFF
Very Happy
latest report
I stand corrected! Laughing

Although if I fight your nerd mode with pedant mode:
The number of tickets they sell is not necessarily limited to the number of seats on the plane. Toofy Grin
latest report
koru wrote:
I stand corrected! Laughing

Although if I fight your nerd mode with pedant mode:
The number of tickets they sell is not necessarily limited to the number of seats on the plane. Toofy Grin

True, BA do oversell - gambling that some passengers with flexible tickets won't turn up - which is why people occasionally get bumped/upgraded at check-in.

But EJ and FR don't, because (with a few exceptions) they don't sell flexible tickets, so everyone with a ticket for the flight is likely to turn up coz if they don't they'll loose their money as a no-show.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy