Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - top tips with beginner kids

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

So very excited to be heading to Val thorens a week on Saturday. It’s our first skiing holiday with the family (boys, 7 and 5) where we are not just handing them over to the chalet childcare for the week.

We have booked them into morning lessons with ProSneige so all good there - although realised we are in the Residence Montana block which has ESF directly outside, but never mind.

Can anyone help with the below:

- where would be a good starting point for getting our ski legs back on Sunday? We have just less
Than 2 hrs between ski school pick up and drop off. A green and Easy blues would be perfect for day 1.

- a run with a nice, child friendly cafe or activity at the bottom so the parents can take turns to ski whilst the boys get through copious amounts of chocolat chaud and Uno?

- is the Cosmo sledge off the top of peclet a fun-filled family adventure as the VT website would have you believe or is it a death / whiny small child trap?!

Any other tips for encouraging kiddos back out to ski in the afternoon and where might be suitable appreciated. The 7 yr old had lessons in Avoriaz when he was 4, the 5 yr old has never been on skis.

Thank you! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any other tips for encouraging kiddos back out to ski in the afternoon and where might be suitable appreciated.

If they enjoy their lessons (and they're a great age for it) it might be hard to stop them. Best be guided by their instructors though - and stick to slopes where they had their lessons. It's a fallacy that "kids have no fear". when my two sons learnt at 6 and 8, the younger had no fear (and far greater athletic ability) and the older one was much cautious. What he hated was the feeling of being out of control, and needing help. And most of all he didn't want to fall over and look like an idiot, whereas his younger brother didn't care. When, as teenagers, they both learnt to snowboard that difference was very noticeable. The older one who by then felt he was quite a "cool" skier just wasn't prepared to be like a beginner again. The younger one just threw himself down the hill and soon looked even cooler!

But if they don't want to ski in the afternoon, don't push it. It's more important that they come home thinking ski holidays are the best.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peezafreeza, with small beginners, I found that the Caron lift is a good spot in the afternoon. Lost count of the number of times I lapped Caron/Gentine with youngest when he was learning to first snowboard. The Caron restaurant is open just over the piste from the lift and is good for lunch or a restorative snack/drink, anyone wanting to do a more ambitious lap can carry on up on Cime Caron to the reds and black run, then meet up again with the smalls and their wrangler below, and you can take the Cairn bubble back to VT at the end.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@peezafreeza, we're also flying out on Saturday. It's the first trip for the kids for 3 years due to covid, so first thing on Sunday we will do a quick easy run before their lessons. We always get the 2Lacs lift, and then turn left, and after 200m turn left down the Espace Junior piste, which is a green and is the easiest run in the whole resort! From there, as mentioned, Gentine is the easiest blue by far.

The link below gives a clear outline of the beginners area and then the easiest blues in the resort. Really useful website!

https://valthorensguide.co.uk/beginners-area.html

It also shows the fun slope, which will a great thing to get the kids on once they get their ski legs - it's pretty gentle but great fun, and great practice for them. You'll end up doing laps of that (that's normally what happens with us!).

We did the Cosmo sledge run with the family and my 21 year old nephews - my nephews thought that it would be a breeze. Turns out you can pick up some real speed and the brakes aren't that good. My wife's sledge didn't turn as she hoped and she started to fly down the Tete Rhode blue piste! Our youngest was 7 at the time, and he doesn't want to do again it this year!!! Personally I thought it was great fun!!

There is a much smaller sledging slope by the side of the magic carpet that runs through the centre of the town. We normally buy a few sledges and have a few runs on that (you can get the magic carpet back up the slope!). You can just about see the sledging slope on the right of this picture below.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For adults getting their ski legs back, I'd suggest Moraine, Tete ronde & Fond. All have a bit of gradient but nothing scary, they're nice and wide and possibly quieter than some of the greens.

Chalet du Thorens doesn't do the best food but it does good waffles and is near a few runs to amuse adults.

Have a great holiday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But if they don't want to ski in the afternoon, don't push it. It's more important that they come home thinking ski holidays are the best.

Thanks - yeah this is exactly where we want to get to! I’ve been researching other stuff we can do and there seems to be lots. But hopefully they will be up for showing their skills by the end of the week? Maybe we can bring them with chocolate waffles…

My eldest is the more cautious of the two as well, little ones is all about the adrenaline rush Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways thank you- this sounds a great option! Is the red off the top of Caron nearer to a blue or a black?

Wrangling is definitely the word Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peezafreeza wrote:
@Richard_Sideways thank you- this sounds a great option! Is the red off the top of Caron nearer to a blue or a black?

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[b]grumpygargoyle[\b] wrote:
For adults getting their ski legs back, I'd suggest Moraine, Tete ronde & Fond. All have a bit of gradient but nothing scary, they're nice and wide and possibly quieter than some of the greens.

Brilliant thank you - will be trying those and the waffle stop out!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@handyturnip Oh fab, thank you For the link and top tips! Fun zone sounds, well, fun! Hopefully they will enjoy pootling through there. I am imaging it a bit like the lil stash in Morzine-Avoriaz. My husband loves it!

I hope your 7 year old isn’t too traumatised by the cosmojet. I’d only spotted the giant sledge or the tiny toddler option so good to know where there is a middle ground. Do you know where you can buy / hire sledges pls?

Have a great trip!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@peezafreeza, The reds off Caron are on the harder side for the resort but it good weather with good snow they're not too intimidating.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
@peezafreeza, The reds off Caron are on the harder side for the resort but it good weather with good snow they're not too intimidating.

Ah OK - will save those for later in the week!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peezafreeza wrote:

There are 2 reds off the top of Cimes De Caron. If you keep bearing right at the top, that run (Cime) is much gentler and has a few very flat (may require poling if its windy) sections. It definitely feels more like a blue, though it starts off quite narrow (but not steep).

The red further round the corner (2nd right - Col de L' Audzin)) is a real red and is much steeper.

If the boys get the hang of blue runs I would recommend a trip to Orelle and back, via the Lory piste. As blues go, it is quite a gentle run but the views are stunning. It is accessed via the Portette chair and Thorens gondola.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very timely and helpful thread, we're in VT from Saturday with our 12 year old making her skiing debut! She's with Prosneiges for a week of morning ski school.
I'm guessing it'll be magic carpet only for her on Sunday and then at some pt Monday (Tuesday?) the instructor will get them onto the lifts for further greens? Will do our best to leave the pro to get the job done but keep an eye on things so that in the pm we can do an hour or so together helping her on the lines the instructor has taken.

Sledging looks just the ticket for late afternoon fun Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@peezafreeza, I'm pretty sure @Richard_Sideways was referring to the Caron chair, not Cime Caron (the big cable car that goes right up high). The Caron chair goes up to the bottom of Cime Caron. Gentiane (the piste back to the bottom of the chair lift) is mellow. As others have said, the reds down from the top of the cable car could feel pretty intimidating for a beginner. It's worth a trip up for the view at least though, and you can always come back down again in the cable car.
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
@peezafreeza, I'm pretty sure @Richard_Sideways was referring to the Caron chair, not Cime Caron (the big cable car that goes right up high). The Caron chair goes up to the bottom of Cime Caron. Gentiane (the piste back to the bottom of the chair lift) is mellow. As others have said, the reds down from the top of the cable car could feel pretty intimidating for a beginner. It's worth a trip up for the view at least though, and you can always come back down again in the cable car.

Richard S was indeed referring to the lower Caron lift, which is in fact a gondola/telecabine (not a chair). wink
latest report
peezafreeza wrote:
@handyturnip Oh fab, thank you For the link and top tips! Fun zone sounds, well, fun! Hopefully they will enjoy pootling through there. I am imaging it a bit like the lil stash in Morzine-Avoriaz. My husband loves it!

I hope your 7 year old isn’t too traumatised by the cosmojet. I’d only spotted the giant sledge or the tiny toddler option so good to know where there is a middle ground. Do you know where you can buy / hire sledges pls?

Have a great trip!

Almost all the shops will sledges of different sizes - personally we just normally grab the tray like ones, as they're cheap and seem to work fine.

The fun slope is very similar to the lil stash, but obviously no trees! There's also a Family Park with family sized jumps etc, which is on the opposite side to the main park, up near the Fond piste. I've not been before as it's relatively new but we'll be giving it a go this year!!
ski holidays
we've used Prosneige Val Thorens 5 or 6 times now, always a great experience for our kids

we also go out on Saturday this weekend, kids booked with Prosneige again Happy
latest report
Yes we used Prosneige previously in VT and they were very good.

We've had to go with Oxygene this time as we had a credit voucher from one of our cancelled covid trips to Belle Plagne. Fingers crossed they're good too!
snow report
Great to hear all the positive feedback about ProSneige!!! Hope everyone heading off tomorrow has a brilliant time. Roll on 16th for us Eh oh!

Also thank you for the clarification re. Caron lift / cable car scenario! Had indeed missed the gentle blue off the chair situation which sounds ideal for day 1 once we’ve had a look at the green off the junior Espace.

@double bombardino - we asked about passes and they said the instructor would let us know when we needed to buy one so will save a few quid there!
latest report
Bit of a thread revival, but how did you get on with Oxygene Ski School in VT @Handy Turnip?
We're looking at going the week before Easter 2023.
snow report
chrisValTho wrote:
Bit of a thread revival, but how did you get on with Oxygene Ski School in VT @Handy Turnip?
We're looking at going the week before Easter 2023.

Yes the kids loved them - small groups, friendly instructors. Prosneige were also okay previously, but the kids preferred Oxygene definitively.
snow report
peezafreeza wrote:
Great to hear all the positive feedback about ProSneige!!! Hope everyone heading off tomorrow has a brilliant time. Roll on 16th for us Eh oh!

Also thank you for the clarification re. Caron lift / cable car scenario! Had indeed missed the gentle blue off the chair situation which sounds ideal for day 1 once we’ve had a look at the green off the junior Espace.

@double bombardino - we asked about passes and they said the instructor would let us know when we needed to buy one so will save a few quid there!

Also a bit of a thread revival. @peezafreeza - How was your trip? And overall experience? I'm staying at Village Montana in the Feb half term and will be with my wife and 4 boys (11,10,3 & 2) for our first family ski trip. Older boys are in ESF ski school in the mornings and then we plan to try and take them on some runs in the afternoon. Both little ones will be in childcare but also plan to take them out in the afternoon for some fun in the snow (non-skiing) on the occasional day.

Did you book any of the food packages on offer by Jaspers (the restaurant below)? This seems a good option for us, but wondered on the quality/value and also tying oursleves to one place to eat the whole trip.

Any other tips or run recommendations would be much appreciated.
snow report
@Roscoe, it's worth working out your route from your apartment to the esf ski school meet up (to save a panic on day 1!). Having been to VT many times, we tend to try and stay higher in the town, so that's it's a quick slide down to the ski school meeting point. Depending on where your meeting point is, your apartment may be lower than the meeting point so may involve an extra step to get up to the meeting point. It shouldn't be too onerous hopefully but just thought it was worthwhile flagging.
snow conditions
@Roscoe, and as mentioned in an earlier post, the link below is really useful in working out the easiest runs. If you scroll to the blue runs section, it lists the easiest blue runs in order of ease.

latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Roscoe, it's worth working out your route from your apartment to the esf ski school meet up (to save a panic on day 1!). Having been to VT many times, we tend to try and stay higher in the town, so that's it's a quick slide down to the ski school meeting point. Depending on where your meeting point is, your apartment may be lower than the meeting point so may involve an extra step to get up to the meeting point. It shouldn't be too onerous hopefully but just thought it was worthwhile flagging.

We're (hopefully) directly opposite the meeting point. This was one of our main reasons for booking Village Montana so there wasn't any added panic on getting the older two to their ski schools. They've had a few lessons in the snowdomes so the very very very basic's should be familiar to them, should we need to "slide" them to the exact meeting point.
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Roscoe, and as mentioned in an earlier post, the link below is really useful in working out the easiest runs. If you scroll to the blue runs section, it lists the easiest blue runs in order of ease.

Read through this earlier and found it very useful. Good to be able to have some sort of plan and progression in mind for them, should they be confident enough as the week progress'.
ski holidays
Anyone have any suggestions for family friendly bar's (if there is such a thing)? Would like to be able to partake in some form of Apres while away with the squad but want to avoid anywhere too raucous.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we are off to VT at the end of March with family - our two (5 and 10) and my nephew (7) have never skiied before. We are staying at Les Balcons and they are doing Prosneige morning lessons for a week. Does anyone know the best way to to ski school? Especially on the first few days. Hoping we might be able to ski down after a couple of days
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy