Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel this Friday.... Predictions?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm still confused!

Simple question, I'll be in Ashford tonight, how should I get from Ashford to Eurotunnel tomorrow morning?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kosciosco, on the A20 to J11 and then exit to Eurotunnel at 11a. The M20 is closed from J8 to J11.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@knackered knees, cheers, will look at the B2068 option when we get there and consider the A260 as the alternative.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well! We're en route at the mo to get to the tunnel. Feels like we're on the home straight now...

Decided to go north around m25 and head for M2 /A2.

We got stuck for about 20 to 25 mins around Faversham in traffic queues on m2. Decided against ducking into Faversham as looked like bad jam and smaller road than motorway jam. All traffic queueing up to the m2/A2 split roundabout with police on the roundabout stopping all lorries checking them presumably to ensure they're not skipping operation brock?

When we were sitting in left hand lane solid stationary traffic 1m from exit of M2 to A2, my husband had the brainwave to go straight on m2 /a229 for another junction then come off at staple Street Road, go over the a229 and back onto heading south, then easy peasy coming off slip to roundabout with left turn neatly dodging the police roadblock on bridge over the m2 just a few yards to our right.

Now done the A2 to B2068 planning back on m20 at j11. Beautifully smooth no traffic since left the police roundabout m2/A2 behind. Stone Street (B2068) as also nice and straight roman road which is awesome for our car sick 5 year old. Also beautiful views over dungeness plain!

From waze and Google maps, it now says no more traffic between us and eurotunnel and whole journey will have taken 3 hours. Not bad considering with zero traffic it should take 2 hrs 5 mins.

Good luck everyone!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's oddly quiet here at the moment
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We left hamster boarding drop off nr Bromley at half 9, just over 2.5 hours via the A20 to get to the 60 miles to the tunnel and we've actually made our booked 13:20 crossing. I hope.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Left 5 mins ago. Just joining the m25 at the a3 jnc. Wish us luck. Aiming for 6.38pm train and on to Reims tonight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, it took best part of an hour to get round the m25 from the a3 jnc to the m26 jnc. Queue around the m25 towards Dartford and m2 was standstill. We've come off and are tanking south to Tonbridge and will head cross country from there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jellyspoons wrote:

When we were sitting in left hand lane solid stationary traffic 1m from exit of M2 to A2, my husband had the brainwave to go straight on m2 /a229 for another junction then come off at staple Street Road, go over the a229 and back onto heading south, then easy peasy coming off slip to roundabout with left turn neatly dodging the police roadblock on bridge over the m2 just a few yards to our right!

Your husband is a genius, thank you! Just saved us from sitting in that slip road for another hour!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good luck @Gazza (and everyone else heading for Tunnel) - we’re about 20 mins ahead of you on same route - clear so far but considering heading to Romney Marsh and in from the coast to avoid Ashford area altogether - aiming for 18:20 train and then also onto Reims overnight. Fingers crossed…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck @Gazza (and everyone else heading for Tunnel) - we’re about 20 mins ahead of you on same route - clear so far but considering heading to Romney Marsh and in from the coast to avoid Ashford area altogether - aiming for 18:20 train and then also onto Reims overnight. Fingers crossed…
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

aiming for 18:20 train and then also onto Reims overnight

Sounds doable - good luck.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Pam - just arrived (via Romney) - first element of journey completed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good run cross country from Tonbridge. Made it to check-in just after 5.30 and on the flexi lounge by 5.45. Would have made the earlier 6.20 train had the kids but been faffing in the lounge.

So all in all about 2hrs 30 min from just outside Guildford, so not too bad. In boarding lane now, hoping to be on the booked 6.38 crossing.

Hope everyone elses journeys are going well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gazzza, What route did you take?
snow conditions
M25, joined the m26 then immediately off on to the m25 southbound slip and a21 to Tonbridge and on to Kipplings Cross.

Then set waze to Lympne and it took us minor roads through Goudhurst, Sissinghurst and across to Lympne which is just south of where you rejoin the M20 at j11. Some very minor roads but better than 2 or 3 lanes of bumper to bumper gridlock.

Good luck.
snow report
@Gazzza, Thanks for your advice have a good week.
snow report
Lots of signs and diversion info from Ashford, can't go wrong.
snow report
Left MK about 6.40. Waze had us come A2/A229/M20 to J8 then down the A20 to J12 of the M20. No real issues.
latest report
1 hour from the exit of the M20 to the check in desks...
snow report
I can't quite work out why trucks are in massive queues but cars not.
ski holidays
We’re travelling down to tunnel now - ETA 12pm ish.

Fingers crossed for minimal delays!
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, I’d imagine the B word will have something to do with it.

Plus ferry and Eurotunnel obviously decided to run more passenger than freight services. Which I’d assume is their commercial choice to make.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I can't quite work out why trucks are in massive queues but cars not.

The IT systems that allow lorries to ROLO are broken and not taking to each other. I believe they are reverting back to no checks to ease the backlog. Bad management on the software development side I would posit.
snow report
Hope everyone had a good run.

We made our.6.38 crossing and got to the hotel in Reims by around 10.45 to 11pm.

Left just gone 7,30am. Busy heading south, a few slow bits but no serious jams. Took the Bourg en Bresse route to Lyon, then stopped at Tour Du Pin for fuel, shopping and lunch. A bit of traffic between Albertville and Moutiers and on to Bourg, a few 5 min queues but nothing serious.

Snowing in Bourg. Made it to Tignes Le Lac at 4.45. Bags of snow and still snowing but road were clear. Had time to check in, unload, and get lift passes before the office closed at 6pm.

All in all 24.5 hours from Guildford with about 9 hours at the overnight hotel. Pretty good all things considered.

Safe travels to anyone still en route and enjoy the snow this week.
ski holidays
Worse bit of our drive down from Souampton to Meribel last night and today definitely getting to the tunnel!

SatNav took us on a few interesting single lane roads on Friday afternoon but once at Eurotunnel sailed straight through in a tunnel 1hr earlier than booked Eh oh!

Overnight in Challons then left 930, two stops and in Meribel by 430pm. Mix of sun, rain, snow and sleet on the way down.

SO GLAD to be back here - roll on first lift in the morning….
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Volume. According to the stats out of Dover, in 2021 tourist cars accounted for 336k out of Dover port, Road haulage vehicles 2.1 million. The majority of traffic is haulage apart from a couple of weeks per year. Haulage traffic moves mostly during the week, tourist traffic on Fri, Sat, Sun. Dover traffic accounts for approx 50-60percent of traffic over "Dover -Calais" route (so Eurotunnel about 40%). If things go t*t* up out of Dover (eg customs systems issues; stormy weather; oh P&O sacking all their staff, hmm P&O failing all their vehicle their safety inspections,) then default protocol is to park lorries on the motorway. Yeah, good news for us that live close to M20/A20 when this happens multiple times a year ..... day to day life is screwed. Even getting to hospital appointments for cancer treatments difficult
snow report
sueymagoo wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, Volume. According to the stats out of Dover, in 2021 tourist cars accounted for 336k out of Dover port, Road haulage vehicles 2.1 million. The majority of traffic is haulage apart from a couple of weeks per year. Haulage traffic moves mostly during the week, tourist traffic on Fri, Sat, Sun. Dover traffic accounts for approx 50-60percent of traffic over "Dover -Calais" route (so Eurotunnel about 40%). If things go t*t* up out of Dover (eg customs systems issues; stormy weather; oh P&O sacking all their staff, hmm P&O failing all their vehicle their safety inspections,) then default protocol is to park lorries on the motorway.
Hmmm, the joys of living in the SE!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure how relevant 2021 stats are given we couldn’t leave UK for most of it?
latest report
@sueymagoo, not great for you, but if I were a lorry driver going via Dover, I would be chewing on my last straw and considering road blockages as a protest. No food, water or toilet facilities again, and again and again.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, it's inhumane and disgraceful.
snow report
Well it seems like everyone got away safely - now what’s it going to be like next Saturday in Calais!!!
snow report
Heading out Friday. Planning to get to top of M20 around 5am and then stopping in Albertville overnight before heading up to VDI early doors on Saturday. Any suggestions welcome.
snow report
Can't leave Yeovil till about 17:00 on Friday (after YTFC thrash Aldershot) and am booked on the 20:38 chunnel. They've just said on the BBC news that P&O aren't expecting to restart Channel services until Friday, so I think that means the M20 will still be closed for operation Brock. 20:38 chunnel is looking 'optomistic'. rolling eyes
ski holidays
You’ll still likely face delays getting to tunnel, but gut feel is main holiday traffic has gone last weekend

If that’s the case, then they will also have been able to run more freight crossings
ski holidays
brovert wrote:
Heading out Friday. Planning to get to top of M20 around 5am and then stopping in Albertville overnight before heading up to VDI early doors on Saturday. Any suggestions welcome.

Doubt if you'd get a delay in arriving at tunnel at that time of morning, should be fairly unhindered then.

If it's looking like big snow leaving Albertville then get out sharply as good snow news spreads fast in the area Very Happy looks like good planning though and guess you'll have a decent run at times you're travelling.
snow report
Judwin wrote:
Can't leave Yeovil till about 17:00 on Friday (after YTFC thrash Aldershot) and am booked on the 20:38 chunnel. They've just said on the BBC news that P&O aren't expecting to restart Channel services until Friday, so I think that means the M20 will still be closed for operation Brock. 20:38 chunnel is looking 'optomistic'. rolling eyes

I'd be surprised if you got to tunnel even by 21.38 any flexibility in the passage time ? They do know if there's any significant delay on approach though and usually they're quite accommodating for their clients with difficulty in timing.
snow report
I'd have thought that was pushing it even on a normal day.
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:

We normally take just under 3 hours from here in Sherborne, youd go Marston, we go Wincanton so similar timings, but thats at 5 in the morning.

Let me help you, skip Yeovil/ Aldershot game, it will only start the holiday off on the wrong foot. They havent thrashed anyone in a long time.....

Long gone are the days when I used to wait for the fixtures to come out before chosing my ski trips round YTFC home matches. Never even went to the Brentford game.
ski holidays
As an aside, I'd wondered how strictly the tunnel "1 hour before departure" check-in would be when we went in mid March. We were booked on the 21.20 and arrived at (automatic) check-in about 20.23. We did get on the 21.20 so I wonder how late you could arrive and it still lets you on I.e. is the algorithm fixed or does it adjust depending on how many are ahead of you for your timed departure?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy