Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing lenses on ski goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I have 2 pairs of Oakley goggles, one for low light, one for bright, the lenses in both need replacing, and you can't get them anymore.So I need new goggles, and because my eyes are really sensitive to light, one pair won't cover everything, I either need photocromic, 2 pairs, or interchangeable lenses.

There appear to be lots of goggles where the lenses are replaceable, but it involves peeling them out of the frame each time, rather than having clips or magnets (Oakley Flightpath, Flight deck, Flight tracker, Smith Skyline...). Are these lenses designed to be changed on a fairly regular basis, eg in the morning before you go out, or is it only to replace them permanently? I don't want to be in a situation where the frame gets fatigued because the lenses have been taken in and out more than intended.

I did try Smith 4D Mag this afternoon - the field of view was AMAZING, but at £320 it should have been, and I can't justify that! But buying 2 pairs of something like an Oakley Flight Tracker or Smith Skyline wouldn't be much different from £300 anyway...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had flight decks for years and yes you can change them daily or whenever easily enough
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having changed lenses on the Oakley Flight Deck as well as the older Airbrakes, I can say that the former are not really designed for regular swaps, in the way that the Airbrakes were, with the little lever to pop out the lens. They are easy enough to change permanently though.

Unless you are particularly hard on lenses, I normally find that the goggle foam and strap is done by the second change anyway. The money is in the lenses, so it doesn’t cost that much more to buy 2 pairs (get them in the sales – Oakleys available now from about €110), but if you want to switch them round, some of the Scott styles (probably others too) do come with an extra lens.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:

Unless you are particularly hard on lenses, I normally find that the goggle foam and strap is done by the second change anyway.

This is exactly right (for me anyway). When I buy goggles I also buy a spare lens. Once the spare is knackered it’s time for new goggles.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out the Dragon or Anon ranges. Super-fast changes and intended for regular swaps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, random question do you have any spare airbrake xl lenses you’re looking to sell? My goggles are still in this condition but I wanted some lenses for poor visibility and Oakley doesn’t sell those anymore…
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So one vote for, and one vote aginst being able to change them regularly!
A friend had Airbrakes and was very disappointed when he couldn't get a new lens for them last year. Wonder why they stopped using that system, or anything similar.
The thing about buying goggles is finding anywhere to try them on with your helmet, and also I have a pretty small face, which makes lots of the bigger ones look daft. (That's 'pretty' as in, 'fairly'... I wouldn't presume to say that my face is the other sort of pretty!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there are a number of interchangeable magnetic lens goggles that come with at least 2 lenses at decent prices on sport pursuit
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@euanovsky, No, sorry, they are both totally trashed – the light one has crazed like crackle glass you get in bathroom windows, and the coating has come off the other. https://funktionelles.de/ have some Oakleys at good prices, if you can get them delivered in the EU.

@karin, If you have a small face, try the Oakley M size. Flight Decks are pretty wrap-around, so they don't look too big.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, yes, I had found the Oakley M flight decks, it's what prompted the original question about whether you could change the lenses regularly, cos buying 2 pairs is a lot of money!

@t44tomo, I had a look but most won't arrive before my ski trip - I've been being an ostrich and putting my head in the sand about finding new goggles, and now it's nearly too late
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@karin, Where are you going? Check out the websites of the shops in the resort and see if they have any in the sales yet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
karin wrote:

@t44tomo, I had a look but most won't arrive before my ski trip - I've been being an ostrich and putting my head in the sand about finding new goggles, and now it's nearly too late

Decathlon / wedze also do magnetic interchangeable click and collect at asda if you aren't near a decathlon
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@karin, we use Smith Mag somethings (I/Os?) and rarely have to change during the day. Works well.

But next time I think I'll be investigating photochromatics a bit more closely. We both have cat 2-3 Serengeti sunglasses and they perform really well.

Julbo come to mind.

Where you going skiing? Buy in resort?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
karin wrote:
A friend had Airbrakes and was very disappointed when he couldn't get a new lens for them last year. Wonder why they stopped using that system, or anything similar.

The Airbrake was an old goggle. 2013 it was first made. They stopped selling as they were no longer 'cool' looking so quite understandably they go out of production. Still sold in the Moto-cross market though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll have a look at the resort shop websites - we'll be in Morzine. Might just order a the Salomon photochromics and the Smith I/O mag to home and try them both on. Can always return 1 or both if I don't like them.
ski holidays
@karin, not totally sure smaller shop websites will show goggles, not sure bigger chains will show products actually in stock.
snow conditions
Panda do a quick change system

https://www.pandaoptics.co.uk
ski holidays
I've got Anon M3 goggles with interchangeable lenses which I am a big fan of and have recommended on here a couple of times. They're really easy to change the lens on and I like the magnetic face mask compatibility too.

However, the price has absolutely rocketed up since COVID and they stopped using Carl Zeiss for the lenses and do their own Perceive range instead. So, as and when I eventually kill my goggles and the 4 (well, 5) lenses I have for them, I don't think I'll be able to stomach replacing them with something from the current range: LINK

As I now board with a bag, I'll probably end up either buying a couple of cheaper pairs off Amazon etc or give a cheaper magnetic option a go.

Price should drop on the goggles further towards the end of the season, especially from places like Absolute Snow. I paid £110 for goggles, 2 lenses and a mask when RRP was £125, and saw them drop as low as £80 a few months later, but I think that was partly because of the Carl Zeiss deal ending and the switch-over to their own brand of lenses.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 21-02-24 9:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Anon did also do "Asian fit" goggles. I don't know if that's still the case or what the difference actually entails.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@karin,
But next time I think I'll be investigating photochromatics a bit more closely. We both have cat 2-3 Serengeti sunglasses and they perform really well.

Julbo come to mind.

Slightly off topic but ... I've used the Julbo Cyrius 0-4 photochromics this season and have been really happy with them - apart from in very flat light (low cloud or whilst snowing), when I needed to switch to a different pair of yellow lens goggles to obtain slightly more contrast.
ski holidays
Quote:

Anon did also do "Asian fit" goggles

These are usually designed for small faces, but also have a lower nose bridge because Asian faces tend to be flatter.

I decided to go for Smith I/O mag S with rose gold mirror lens and storm rose flash 2nd lens. I did want the sun red lens as the main lens, it's a bit darker, but although it's made as a spare lens, they don't make a model with it in that you can buy. And that was according to Smith themselves. Bit crazy, really. Now just got to hope that they fit my face!
latest report
Many of the googles are available direct from China at 1/4 of the UK/European price. Copozz goggles seem to turn up as Summit, Aphex and Panda.
E.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1581664423.html?

I and few others have been buying these for several years:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832681662.html?
Under 2 week delivery.
ski holidays
Some friends have these https://www.hysteresisoptics.com/. Magnetic to make changes easy. Only €69 in shops around Andorra.
snow report
@colinstone, but there's no chance of trying them and sending them back if they don't fit/work with your helmet. I've bought dance shoes direct from China (I know, nothing to do with skiing...) for the same reason, and ended up with a couple of pairs that just don't work for me.
ski holidays
@karin, in this case, I recognised that the Copozz goggles on Aliexpress were exactly the same as the UK Summit goggles I already had. When they arrived, the lenses were completely interchangeable with the Summit.
Most, if not all, of the stuff I buy on AE has a returns policy/system.
latest report
@colinstone, that makes lots of sense if you recognised what they were.

The io mag s arrived and it was... too small! So I ordered the standard size, after all that, and they seem to fit fine. We'll find out on Saturday
ski holidays
Another option:
https://outdoormaster.com/products/falcon-e-quickhue-ski-goggles
I haven't found any good/nonsponsored review of them yet and don't have enough knowledge to judge if they are worth buying.

For sh*ty weather I use oaklay prizm pink which I bought second hand on ebay with a small scratch. The scratch doesn't make any difference to not seeing much Smile
snow report
@Wendyjh had very scratched Okley Flight Deck L & I rang Oakley in the UK who told me to go to rxsport.com for a replacement lens. It arrived 2 days ago & is an Oakley product. My only problem was trying to understand the very heavily-accented woman who answered the phone at Oakley. Why don’t businesses in the UK employ native English speakers to answer the phone or at least ones who don’t need subtitles?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone wrote:

Under 2 week delivery.

I got a pair of these and have to admit, they are just great. Good lenses, an very easy to change. Actually, it's done blindly in mere seconds. No need to take the goggles off. You just flip up the lens you are wearing, grab the one you want to apply from your pocket and snug them in. Magnets doing all the rest. No levers, no fiddling, no bending, no fingerprints, hence no necessary polishing - as unfaffy as it gets and easy on the stuff.
snow report
@colinstone, Those also look the same as magnetic goggles sold by Vola, so there would be even more places to buy spare lenses.
latest report
Tristero wrote:
colinstone wrote:

Under 2 week delivery.

I got a pair of these and have to admit, they are just great. Good lenses, an very easy to change. Actually, it's done blindly in mere seconds. No need to take the goggles off. You just flip up the lens you are wearing, grab the one you want to apply from your pocket and snug them in. Magnets doing all the rest. No levers, no fiddling, no bending, no fingerprints, hence no necessary polishing - as unfaffy as it gets and easy on the stuff.

Is there a way to test them if they provide enough protection to eyes?
ski holidays
snowyc wrote:
Tristero wrote:
colinstone wrote:

Under 2 week delivery.

Is there a way to test them if they provide enough protection to eyes?

What do you mean?
latest report
Tristero wrote:

What do you mean?

UVA, UVB UVC
snow conditions
snowyc wrote:
Tristero wrote:

What do you mean?

UVA, UVB UVC

Didn't you know that this is a complete non-issue and always has been? One of Luxottica's most ridiculous, yet most successful claims to scare people out of their money?
snow report
Tristero wrote:

Didn't you know that this is a complete non-issue ...

No I didn't know at all! Do you have anything to read to support this?
snow conditions
snowyc wrote:
Tristero wrote:

Didn't you know that this is a complete non-issue ...

No I didn't know at all! Do you have anything to read to support this?

Just google polycarbonate. All lenses are made out of this, even the cheapest - think those fake oakleys which at one point in time have been less than $1.20 delivery included. Polycarbonate as material is inherently UV-A and -B absorbent, UV-C is blocked by the athmosphere.
Glass isn't, though, it blocks UV-B, but not UV-A. That's why you don't get a tan behind a window, but a red sheet of paper lying on your windowsill will visibly yellow over time. To make glass UV-A absorbent as well, you need to add another layer. In normal cars, for example, only the windscreen blocks UV-A and -B, because of the vinyl layer carried by the safety glass. That's basically the origen of the myth, this could be an issue.
snow report
WOW! What does it mean in terms of VLT? I burnt my eyes once on Hintertux when I forgot goggles for one day, would having clear goggles in sunny condition cause any issues other than some discomfort of getting too much sun?
ski holidays
snowyc wrote:
WOW! What does it mean in terms of VLT? I burnt my eyes once on Hintertux when I forgot goggles for one day, would having clear goggles in sunny condition cause any issues other than some discomfort of getting too much sun?

No. Even contact lenses provide UV-A and -B protection.
ski holidays
Wow again! Thank you!
snow report
Bolle Nevada Neo with Phantom+ Not as ghetto stylee as Oakley or Smith but comfy and effective

Semi Polarized and comes with a 'free' Cat 0 yellow lens in a slim hardcase. Magnetic lens with a simple glove friendly clip at the top makes swopping out easy - however the standard Cat 1-3 Phantom lens covers 90% of conditions.

15% off if you sign up to Bolle - 40% if you are a Ski Club GB member . . . .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy