Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bars in Val Thorens suitable for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Anyone recommend a bar in VT for apres with kids? When we stay in La Tania we go to the Lodge, somewhere like that

Thanks

Simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wouldn't they all be OK for kids? Especially fairly early in the evening.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Being in The Frog didn't seem very kid friendly. Maybe better accessing a bar attached to a hotel would be better than a dedicated pub type bar.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My experience is probably coloured from experience in a French family resort, with no drunken Brits who seem incapable of having a few drinks without shouting fuck a lot.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The bars that open out onto the piste in the resort all seem pretty family friendly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, or drunken Dutch or Belgians for balance in the larger resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Folie. Seriously. You might get the MC bloke dropping a couple of muthafookas but there's quite a nice lougey area up the side and the kids will enjoy the insanity of it, probably more than the adults. Slush bumps to get home though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For many years, we took our two girls whilst young to the Irish bar (forgotten its name) which is next door but one to the Frog down the hill-they had fizzy drinks/hot chocolates and it was all very welcoming and convivial.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

or drunken Dutch or Belgians for balance in the larger resorts

at least their profanities won't be understood. I did once get a string of what sounded like very rude Flemish stuff from a little gang of youths in Brussels and surprised them by shouting back "voetsak", which I knew from my very sketchy Afrikaans studies. They looked surprised and went away! Both my local grand-daughters, who have a form of autism, are very upset by bad language - they wouldn't enjoy a bar where there was bad language flying round, or any noisy, crowded, places. they'd probably like being on the fringes of the Folie, preferably outdoors, and would enjoy the music, and feeling grown up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The Folie. Seriously. You might get the MC bloke dropping a couple of muthafookas but there's quite a nice lougey area up the side and the kids will enjoy the insanity of it, probably more than the adults. Slush bumps to get home though.

Yes, I agree - if the sun is blasting out then it's actually quite nice sitting on the slope to the side of the bar (it's normally packed), and you can still hear the music easily. We used to do it with my nephew's when they were about 11. They loved it.

But make sure you leave before the drunken masses, and as mentioned, beware the slushy bumps!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kosciosco, when?

If this week or next you'll find plenty of friendly snowHeads on the SFaB or EOSB on the terrace at the Hameau Du Kashmir.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adithorp wrote:
@kosciosco, when?

If this week or next you'll find plenty of friendly snowHeads on the SFaB or EOSB on the terrace at the Hameau Du Kashmir.

We are here now, have an apartment in Les Balcons
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If this week or next you'll find plenty of friendly s on the SFaB or EOSB on the terrace at the Hameau Du Kashmir.

and Snowheads never say rude words.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco wrote:
We are here now, have an apartment in Les Balcons

Can't you just go to the Red Fox? It's not very clear from social media if they're still open (Covid and all that) but google says they are? It's pretty similar to the Lodge in terms of sport on tv, some apres bands etc. so must be worth a recce and it's on your doorstep.

You might not realise it's there because it doesn't really look like a pub but it's right next to the walkway back to the Balcons from the Plein Sud piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Fox a good shout, our young teenagers came there with us last weekend. (We were also in Les Balcons).
snow conditions
You never know when you're going to hear an unexpected wee sweary when abroad.

Doing the grocery shopping when we lived in France, I was always shocked when Alanis Morrisette asked "was thinking of me when he !"£$%^ her" over the piped music in Franprix on an uneventful Tuesday morning.

Like wise when the kids were younger, in Switzerland Mumford and Son telling us "they had really !"£$%^ it up this time" on the radio several times a day.
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:

Yes, I agree - if the sun is blasting out then it's actually quite nice sitting on the slope to the side of the bar (it's normally packed), and you can still hear the music easily. We used to do it with my nephew's when they were about 11. They loved it.

But make sure you leave before the drunken masses, and as mentioned, beware the slushy bumps!

I was in VT last week with 13 yo daughter. She couldn't believe the queues so early in the day for Folie (they were doing searches on everyone), and then she saw the dancing and singing and was aghast, I said I would give her a couple more years and then she will change her mind Very Happy I took her to the slope side restaurants such as Jasper and it was lovely and welcoming.
snow report
jumping on the thread but how is Les Balcons? We are booked for next year (group of 11 people, including 3 children) and have read mixed reviews!
snow conditions
LeanneLlew wrote:
jumping on the thread but how is Les Balcons? We are booked for next year (group of 11 people, including 3 children) and have read mixed reviews!

It's an area of Val Thorens, above the main town (but only 10 minutes walk from the town), so the specifics of where you are staying/eating will be relevant. I don't think it's right to write off the whole Balcons area.

I really liked the Red Fox pub there, if that helps! wink
snow report
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
You never know when you're going to hear an unexpected wee sweary when abroad.

Doing the grocery shopping when we lived in France, I was always shocked when Alanis Morrisette asked "was thinking of me when he !"£$%^ her" over the piped music in Franprix on an uneventful Tuesday morning.

Like wise when the kids were younger, in Switzerland Mumford and Son telling us "they had really !"£$%^ it up this time" on the radio several times a day.

I remember hearing this song on a Belgian radio station whilst driving near Brussels around the time it came out. It was the original version with the lyrics as shown in this link (https://genius.com/Frankee-usa-furb-f-u-right-back-lyrics). There definitely seems to be a more laid back approach to song lyrics in Europe than in the UK - I definitely don't remember hearing this unedited version on any UK radio !
latest report
I was going to suggest the Folie Douce as well, but more as a joke.
But thinking about it, it can be great for kids.
My daughter could not get my 8 year old granddaughter away from the dancing on the tables at the St Gervais Folie Douce.

I can't think of anywhere suitable later in the evening for younger children.
I remember a great night out in the Swedish Bar just down from the Frog, it was the End of Season Party though.
ski holidays

Alas no longer in VT at least. No Kids Allowed.
Turned away Jnr this week.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I suspect Jnr needs to look like he's up for necking 30 dobs of overpriced booze quite quickly....
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I suspect the management looked at his parents and worked out that they didn't have enough booze in the cellar...
latest report
tomj wrote:
@Richard_Sideways, I suspect the management looked at his parents and worked out that they didn't have enough booze in the cellar...

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@LeanneLlew, Hi, we have just spent a week there in Les Balcons Platinum. Really liked the apartments, clean and bright with lots of space. We went over to the main Les Balcons swimming pool area but left again as it was mayhem, but it was half term so may be quieter other times of the year. Good Sherpa and ski hire place on site and L'Auberge was good and not to eyewateringly expensive (in VT Terms). Got kids take away pizzas one night which were excellent. Ski in/out is a bit of a stretch. Yes, you can ski out if you are heading down to lower VT, but if you have got kids in Ski school meeting anywhere near Place De Caron (ie Pionniers lift, Castor Pollux carpet) then you need to walk down the road 200m, and ski down from there. This was an easy downhill walk though. Skiing back at the end of the day you need to be a good skier as the run is quite tricky. A red run, but steep and for us it was really icy, in between the slush. You then need to walk down some stairs and cross the road and depending on which chalet you are in, then have a few more steps down to it. Not really that hard, but I would not have wanted to do it when my children were smaller. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
latest report
tomj wrote:
I blame the hanger on we have this week @ezsnow, she must have looked well shady Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy