Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crest Voland Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Anyone got any idea whether we might still have snow from 2 April in Crest Voland? Bit of an impossible question I know.

It's a last throw of the (snow?) dice... we were going to go to Crest Voland and stay with french friends at Xmas but had to debook everything when Macron banned Brits. Then we booked a package thing instead at half term for Borovets, Bulgaria, but got Covid.

Now... our French friends are happy to have us back in Albertville for Crest Voland but are saying the snow is melting fast and it's shaping up to be a pretty warm spring. Dunno. The ski school, ESF, say they're going to be running lessons. Webcams look OK-ish... who says risk it??!!

Thanks

L
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go up to Les Saisies. Subject to what your local friends have to say, the conditions there won't be great, but better than CV.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam. Might be worth seeing if ESF do lessons there. Good thought. We'll be commuting from Albertville, but I think that's doable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is plenty of snow in Crest-Voland. It is warm though today, I stopped at 11, forecast looks a bit cooler.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There'll be no problem with lessons in Saisies. Easy commute from Albertville. Whatever the snow is like in CV, it will be better in Saisies.

The gondola is new, and I don't know the set up there, but it's possible you could have lessons starting in Bisanne 1500 - worth asking the ESI, as well as ESF.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of snow at Saisies yesterday, a bit thin at the bottom in CV.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @Idris and @pam w – I'll chat to our friends about switching to Les Saisies>Bisanne 1500
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BaobabPowder wrote:
Thanks Pam. Might be worth seeing if ESF do lessons there. Good thought. We'll be commuting from Albertville, but I think that's doable.

Another possibility is Areches; should be the same distance from Albertville, no?

CV is kind of low compared to Les Saisies so might be worth the extra 10-15 minutes' drive. Generally LS remains open until mid April, right?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice all. Les Saisies looks possible. Checked in with our French friends and the conditions aren't great – quite a bit of snow up there but apparently it hasn't really snowed or rained since January and it's pretty warm. Meteo-France suggests rain on the first couple of days we're out there (weekend of 2/3 April staying for a week). My partner is a complete beginner so it may not be ideal, but I guess that's the season. Anyone heard anything about what it's likely to get like weather-wise? Ta

L
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking now at forecasts for 2/3 April is probably a bit of a waste of time. It's been a warm spring so far, snow conditions are not great and unlikely to suddenly improve. If I were going to France skiing in early April I'd go to Tignes, not Les Saisies - but I can say confidently that whatever it's like in Saisies, it'll be worse in Crest Voland.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
It's been a warm spring so far, snow conditions are not great and unlikely to suddenly improve.

Thanks Pam, but also agh. Missed Xmas and half-term due to virus stuff and was hoping this would be the saviour. But what you’re saying is what our French chum is saying and I’d like my partner’s first xp of skiing to be positive… maybe write this season off, I fear. Ta!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Difficult decision, but there will still be good skiing in Tignes, with the back up of the glacier. And there are excellent ski schools there too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Difficult decision, but there will still be good skiing in Tignes, with the back up of the glacier. And there are excellent ski schools there too.

Yes, it's a toughie. I think probably LS is the furthest, as we'd be staying in Albertville with our friends who live there and it's 80 mins drive to Tignes, which is probably a bit of a stretch every day. LS is 30-40 mins which is a bit more than CV but doable... it may be that or nothing! Shocked But in any case, thanks for your advice!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes - too far to commute from Albertville to Tignes, I agree. But at that time of year a small studio in Tignes Val Claret wouldn't cost much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BaobabPowder, I'm guessing you will have made your plans by now but there is plenty of powder in Crest-Voland and hardly any people.

One other option that you could have considered would have been to commute to Les Menuires for lessons, it takes me about 40 minutes from Albertville and there is free parking near the centre.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@BaobabPowder, I'm guessing you will have made your plans by now but there is plenty of powder in Crest-Voland and hardly any people.

Thanks! We decided in the end not to risk it in case the snow didn’t come. With family and friends it was just too much to organise… next season for sure, though, it was a shame it didn’t work out.
ski holidays
I could hardly drive up to Les Saisies from CV this morning there was so much snow
snow report
And there have been so many posts dismissing the idea that anybody might need snow tyres, or chains, to get around in April. Laughing In Wales, they call these the "lambing snows". My grandfather, ever the pessimist, used to shake his head when we ran around joyfully in shorts and T shirts in early April. The lambing snows, he assured us, would wipe those grins off our faces.
snow report
@davidof, Were you doing XC or alpine?

I used my free Espace Diamant day today and skied in Les Saisies until about 2pm.
ski holidays
Just spent the day in Les Saisies today as well… what a fabulous spot. Perfect for beginners. Really enjoyed it. Not busy either. Thanks to Pam W for the ESI recommendations - lessons for myself and the kids start tomorrow.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@davidof, Were you doing XC or alpine?

I used my free Espace Diamant day today and skied in Les Saisies until about 2pm.

The Etoile de Saisies xc race. Hard work in fresh snow. I drove back via the Hauteluce road which was clear.
latest report
Quote:

The Etoile de Saisies xc race. Hard work in fresh snow

Yes, I bet it was. Used always to enjoy the Etoile de Saisies - watching the competitors skating up the main road.
snow report

I did think of you Pam!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy