Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dover Ferries this evening.

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone sailing from Dover to Calais this evening. Family are due to sail later tonight but there's a post doing the rounds saying that P & O's space charter agreement with DFDS ends today.

We've been unable to confirm this anywhere and no mention of it on P & O site or twitter. Some older information seems to suggest that this may be referring to freight.

Thanks all.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GeorgeVII, DFDS Twitter have been reporting 6 hour delays on crossings today and the main routes into Dover haven't been too good either, so be prepared.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posted an hour ago by P&O update twitter account

"..Services today remain cancelled. Please arrive as booked, we will get you away on an alternative carrier asap. Once at the port please head to the DFDS (Dover) or P&O (Calais) check in booths. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause~.."

https://twitter.com/POferriesupdate/status/1509900907500220427
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
M20 closed as part of Operation Brock. Added about 1.5 hours to journey to Eurotunnel this evening. Not the best start to the holiday!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rowlocks

Left in plenty of time for getting dfds ferry.

Operation Dead Badger by the Side of The Road in Kent total Sh..tfest.

Nonsense of lorries arbitrarily abandoned by drivers causing gridlock in Dover town.

Finally in port but suspect long cold night in car….

If you are in the queues we are in the Yeti which has Kinks playing Lola loudly on the sound system and two people weeping inside.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 6-04-22 9:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crying or Very sad o dear, that does sound miserable. Hope you're on your way before too long.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Pam - hope you are in front of a log fire with a glass of wine..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. I think that they were due to sail at 11pm. Doesn't sound great as DFDS are blaming conditions in the channel and technical issues for the delays. Hope you all get across safely and as soon as possible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="valais2] If you are in the queues we are in the Yeti which has Animals playing Lola loudly on the sound system and two people weeping inside.[/quote]

Better than the office though?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster, good thought…

Yep considerably better…
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

DFDS are blaming conditions in the channel

Well they're not great - NE gale 9 was forecast last night and it'll still be rough, presumably makes approach to the French ports more twitchy. We don't get a lot of strong northerlies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:

If you are in the queues we are in the Yeti which has Animals playing Lola loudly on the sound system and two people weeping inside.

I thought Lola was by the Kinks?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, …sorry…brain fade…indeed Ray Davies and the Kinks…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice guy waved us forward to an empty line…quick boarding…now on a heaving sea….hotel soon I hope…zzzzzz
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just reading some Twitter messages from the last hour or so. It's sounds absolutely chaotic at the docks.
snow report
Yes, it's chaos! My daughter's been stuck on a coach at the dock all night on her school trip.
GeorgeVII wrote:
Just reading some Twitter messages from the last hour or so. It's sounds absolutely chaotic at the docks.
snow conditions
And this is why we go via tunnel wink

Which is equally shocking when things go wrong! Hope everyone gets across safely soon
ski holidays
@RCM, …that’s a grim start…I guess they can all have a good sleep on the journey …

…for us we arrived at hotel one hour from Calais at 4am … decide to sleep in to get prep’d for drive … just stirring now.

Boris … m20 closed between junction 8 and 9 so that’s affecting tunnel too
snow report
@valais2, and they’ve just tweeted to say check in terminals are down Laughing As I say, just as bad when it goes wrong.

We mix and match depending on time of year, distances, price etc. had good and bad experiences with both.
snow report
Other threads have been insisting that, these days, the old "Saturday/Saturday" pattern of ski accommodation is becoming much more flexible. These awful travel stories are invariably on Friday nights/Saturday. I spent 15 years driving back and forth to the Alps at least four times a year and never encountered any significant problems because I never did it on a Saturday. Flights, of course, are far cheaper away from weekends.

Perhaps it's about time we became rather more imaginative about timing - especially as more people work flexitime of various ilks these days.
ski holidays
DFDS now advising customers not to travel to ports unless absolutely essential.
latest report
What a miserable time for folk who were finally getting away on holiday. At least the weather has now moderated. But I don't understand how P&O and DFDS were just telling everybody with booking to go to the port, until just now. Talk about getting a quart into a pint pot. And the losses for businesses involved in freight will presumably be significant.
snow conditions
Sounds like a chaotic night - ski trip school coach stuck in Dover for 9 hours last night. They’re finally on their way now. What a shambles.
snow report
And there are people who reckon that teachers who go on those trips are getting a "free holiday"
snow report
Having done around a dozen school ski trips as a teacher in the dim and distant past, including organising several, I can assure everyone that the "free holiday" starts when you've finally handed the last child back to parents.
latest report
@pam w, I don't think it's the norm though.
snow report
Well the Family arrived safe and well in Tignes at about 16.00 hrs.

They were delayed just over 4 hrs at Dover last night. Absolutely chaotic apparently.
snow report
Well…after a snowy drive through the Jura yesterday (winter tyres definitely needed), a great day here in CH skiing boilerplate covered with dust, at between minus 5 and zero.

A a shout out to the DFDS staff in Dover on Friday night, who were very efficient and cheerful. The horrific delays were not the result of anything that they had done - and they kept admirably calm and courteous.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reading this thread with dread. We are sailing this Friday from Dover with Irish ferries. Assuming this weekend will be even busier than the last with school holidays starting
snow report
Boarderfarce wrote:
Reading this thread with dread. We are sailing this Friday from Dover with Irish ferries. Assuming this weekend will be even busier than the last with school holidays starting

I'm sure it will be busy, but some of last weekend delays were weather related. Gales in the channel led to delays, the "snow" affected the A roads onto which traffic was diverted. If the weather is reasonable it's unlikely that there will be such problems, but there is limited ferry capacity due to P&O ferry crews not being capable, I mean not being trained, and therefore unable to sail.

The M20 between Maidstone and Ashford will continue to be a lorry park. There may be 1 lane open with a 50 mph limit. Last weekend this was lorry parking too, and the A20 can't cope with the extra traffic.

Keep an eye on this https://www.kenttraffic.info/ plan to give yourself a couple of hours leeway as a minimum.
snow report
Excellent thanks for the link. @knackered knees,
snow conditions
@Boarderfarce, many areas are already on holiday. Eg Surrey schools broke up for Easter last Week. I expect this Friday will be busy too as as you say other counties start school holidays this Friday.
snow report
@snowymum, that's good to know.
We have a 11.45 ferry. Fingers crossed we manage to get on that one as planned.
snow report
@Boarderfarce, plan for the worst … we left cambridge at 4pm. We got on the ferry at midnight…
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@Boarderfarce, plan for the worst … we left cambridge at 4pm. We got on the ferry at midnight…
Shocked
snow conditions
@Hurtle, yep…was bad

I have the sense that we were lucky though…at least we made it out that evening
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy