Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traveling on British or Irish passport???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all

This is the first trip abroad that we have the option of using our Irish or British passports. We live in Brighton and traveling on the Eurotunnel to France.

Are there any benefits to traveling on the Irish passport?

Can you use different passports on the same journey....e.g British out, Irish back?

The kids Irish passports haven't arrived yet, does this make a difference to us using our Irish passports?

Thanks all Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You won,'t get your Irish stamped whereas your British one would be which is disadvantageous if you intend to intend to spend a lot of time in the EU. Yes you can use British out and Irish back and vice versa. You can use your Irish passports even of your kids haven't got theirs yet provided they have British ones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to use the same one in and out, because if you didn’t then you wouldn’t have the correct entry and exit stamps in the British passport and this could cause you problems the next time you travel.

Last time I travelled on Eurotunnel (September) there wasn’t a separate passport queue for EU and non-EU passports, so would make no difference which one you used. Similarly I flew to Salzburg last month with two Irish passport holders, and despite their pre-trip crowing, they did not get through passport control significantly more quickly than me. *However* I suspect that they may have had a quicker queue if we’d flown to a bigger airport that had electronic passport checking.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan wrote:

Can you use different passports on the same journey....e.g British out, Irish back?

even before Brexit you shouldn't have done that. You can use the British one to exit Britain (if necessary) and the Irish one to enter France then repeat in the same order on the way back.
Otherwise use the Irish passport to visit the EU.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Corky, @Kramer, @davidof, thanks for your replies, really helpful Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter has dual UK/Can nationality and on our recent trip to Canada the only time her UK passport came out was at entry to the UK. No-one batted an eyelid.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As has been said...
Leave UK = British passport
Enter UK = British passport
--
Enter EU = Irish passport
Exit EU = Irish passport

No stamp in the Irish passport ; no 90 day limit on your stay ; no real advantage in the airport queues tho'.... !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@narbs, @albob, thank you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It makes no difference entering the UK. As a result of the treaty in 1921 Irish citizens have the right to live, work & vote in the UK, currently this means that the Irish Republic & the UK form the "Common Travel Area" (CTA) so (in theory) no need for a passport for travel between the two. For entering the UK an Irish and a UK passport is (in effect) the same thing.

For entering Schengen (Ireland is currently not in Schengen) an Irish passport is better simply because Irish citizens are EU citizens and so have all the rights associated with that whereas UK citizens are third party nationals and are subject to visa restrictions (even if only the 90 day in 180 day thing) and will shortly have to sign up for an Schengen ESTA. For leaving the UK there is actually no official check, it has been outsourced to the airlines / ferry companies who have to keep a record of everyone who travels so it is irrelevant which passport you use.

The queue thing depends, in many airports EU passport holders can use either the electronic gates or specific (quicker) lanes - all passports are supposed to be scanned in & out of Schengen, though in a number of places there is simply a single queue.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, thanks Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you munich_irish, got me reading about the new ETIAS system. Very interesting. Planned to come in sometime this year, but very little publicity.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"..For leaving the UK there is actually no official check, it has been outsourced to the airlines / ferry companies who have to keep a record of everyone who travels so it is irrelevant which passport you use.."

I did not know this until my recent holiday, when I realised I had not passed through a Passport control booth as I boarded the plane...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy