Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

summer in Österreich

Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4 kids aged 6 and 8. I'm in to MTB in a big way, so a bike park essential. For the family we'd want stuff to do also.
Has anyone else holiday'd in the summer in österreich?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach. Pretty extensive bike park and loads of other stuff to do as well. Totally recommend the high-wire park if the kids are big enough to do it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
Saalbach. Pretty extensive bike park and loads of other stuff to do as well. Totally recommend the high-wire park if the kids are big enough to do it.

Saalbach over Leogang?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would have made a huge shout for Wagrain, but since the new Flying Mozart lift was built they are rebuilding the bike park and not scheduled to be open until the end of Summer '22. Maybe next year, but apart from the Bike Park Snow Space has pretty much everything you're looking for. Our apartments are 200m from the Wagrain Wasserwelt which is free with visitors cards and perfect for your kids.
https://www.wasserwelt.at/de
https://www.snow-space.com/de/sommer/abenteuerberg/bikepark-wagrain (for '23)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also if you were going to combine some time in Saalbach with another area for mountain biking in Austria, which would it be?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mother hucker wrote:
Family of 4 kids aged 6 and 8. I'm in to MTB in a big way, so a bike park essential. For the family we'd want stuff to do also.
Has anyone else holiday'd in the summer in österreich?

Have you considered Zell-am-See-Kaprun?

https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities/summer/bike

There's the flying fox:

https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities/summer/bike

And the Spartan Race in September:

https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/events/spartan-race/spartan-trifecta

All the best!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
Saalbach over Leogang?

Dunno. Never been to Leogang, but they're close enough to each other that lots of places will be accessible from both, especially with a car.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer wrote:
Also if you were going to combine some time in Saalbach with another area for mountain biking in Austria, which would it be?
Kitzbühel is providing uplift these days. A ton of trails at the top. Same goes for SkiWelt.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach/ Hinterglemm. The high wire park with tramps and airbag tower at the end of the valley is great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good pirate pool in Saalbach too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kramer, I wouldn't to be honest
I'd get a couple of hour to ride my bike then family activities.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Leogang would be my choice if I were going with pals but my marriage would suffer if I went missing all day on my DH rig while she entertained the kids.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:

+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We often stay in either Prutz or Tossens which are in the valley below Serfaus, Fiss and Ladis. There is a huge mountain biking scene there and so many family activities/parks in the mountains. So your tourist tax gives you free use of the buses, outside swimming pool (with slide) and entry to the swimming lake also with slide. Also possible to do a day trip up to the glacier not to ski but amazing scenery and kids trail to keep them amused on the drive up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The whole of SkiWelt is great in summer. Loads of things for kids to do.
snow conditions
Zell for the lake, a multitude of other activities and only a stone’s throw away from the MTB’ing at Leogang.
snow report
Have a good read into Saalbach before committing.

We went about 7 years ago I think as the first alpine family mtb holiday. We had a great time fir a week but objectively speaking the MTB was pretty poo-poo.
I was sooooo looking forward to the 500km of red, blue, black marked XC biking routes. We searched for a bit and eventually i got into an argument with some bloke who insisted the fireroad that the constant stream of ski infrastructure cement lorries were driving up and down was indeed the red XC route. I was gobsmacked. Apparently the only difference between the blue, red and black was the length.

There are ( were) 7 downhill runs of varying difficulty, which we did some of again and again and again, but nothing else.

Actually there was one section of nice techie XC on the route over to Leogang, which we loved ...Wurzelweg. but it really only served to emphasise how limited the rest was.

Like I say, it was our first alpine Mtb, we had a great time, and it was dirt cheap. But we've since spent weeks in Finale, Tignes, Val De iser, Meribel, La Plagne etc and all of those places made us realise how bad Saalbach actually was.

( and I say this as a Teutophile who does almost all our skiing in Austria)
snow report
@TheGeneralist, Finale now you're talking my lingo. I much prefer that type of riding to sanitised alpine resorts but I take what I can being a dad
ski holidays
Salzkammergut - take your pick!

There are awesome family oriented Summer activities. Some excellent mountain biking options, lakes to swim in - many with well managed, tidy beaches, loads of cultural events, salt mine tours, swimming pools including activity parks, smart towns, mountain villages, rodelbahns, lift accessed mountain hiking, and some jaw-dropping scenery etc etc etc.
ski holidays
Salzkammergut is stunning, The Austrian Lake District. Fabulous xc tours, but for lift served downhill trails it would be 90 min drive to Schladming.

The circular route from Cacciatore's Place, taking the Ewige Wand, Lower and the Blaa Alm was gobsmackingly wonderful.

Beautiful lakes, waters ports, beaches....fabulous.

Plus very caring, knowledgeable English speaking hosts.

OK, I am biased.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, Saalbach has invested heavily into MTB and the offering is very different to seven years ago, they have put in a number of new trailers up graded existing ones, there's been quite a bit of investment, have a good look at the offering .

For families there is a good area at the end of the valley you can walk among the tree tops, there are a number of zip wires, there is a swimming pool in Saalbach or you can go down to the lake at Zell with waterskiing paddle boarding etc.

You can do a family ride to Maria Alm which is is on mainly on very quite backroads or on dedicated paths, you can cycle all the way down the valley without going on a road.

For Saalbach pick accommodation that gives you the Joker card.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Salzkammergut is stunning, The Austrian Lake District. Fabulous xc tours, but for lift served downhill trails it would be 90 min drive to Schladming.

The circular route from Cacciatore's Place, taking the Ewige Wand, Lower and the Blaa Alm was gobsmackingly wonderful.

Beautiful lakes, waters ports, beaches....fabulous.

Plus very caring, knowledgeable English speaking hosts.

OK, I am biased.

Thanks, Frosty The Snowman Very Happy
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:

There are awesome family oriented Summer activities. Some excellent mountain biking options, lakes to swim in - many with well managed, tidy beaches, loads of cultural events, salt mine tours, swimming pools including activity parks, smart towns, mountain villages, rodelbahns, lift accessed mountain hiking, and some jaw-dropping scenery etc etc etc.

How far away is the lift accessed mountain biking?

Also I've heard that the landlady is a bit of a tyrant? wink
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
@TheGeneralist, Finale now you're talking my lingo. I much prefer that type of riding to sanitised alpine resorts but I take what I can being a dad

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sorry-need-to-preview-a-post-ignore-me/

Are the kids competent bikers yet? That's the best way of getting more hours in.

Our youngest was 7 when went to Saalbach so we only did the Milka and two or three other downhill trails with the kids. Kinda limited if they're on 20" wheels

Milka Line
P1020604 by sacoon, on Flickr

P1020747 by sacoon, on Flickr

Link to Leogang

P1020644 by sacoon, on Flickr

P1020702 by sacoon, on Flickr

P1020655 by sacoon, on Flickr
latest report
^^ As above, I think Saalbach’s MTB offering has improved substantially since 7 years ago!

I’ll throw Ötztal into the pot too though. Epic lift-access MTB at Sölden, enduro trails in other areas of the valley, all sorts if water/climbing/etc-sports + pools/slides at Area47, great hiking with glacier views from Obergurgl in particular (I presume Sölden too), probably Europe’s best whitewater rafting on the Ötz, the Aquadome spa, 007 and motorcycle museums, the Ötzi (stone age ‘ice man’ man found on the glacier) Village…

Lots going on. Not sure where you’d be best to base from though… Probably somewhere in Ötz for a bit more sun and village charm. Personally Sölden town itself isn’t my thing.
ski holidays
@TheGeneralist, they'd both do the milka line. That a family activity we could all partake.
snow conditions
a bit more on Saalbach from the tourist board website and also why you should go with accommodation with a joker card, unless it at bargain price. This is the link to the trail map https://www.saalbach.com/en/summer/mountain-biking/interactive-trail-map

Over 80 km of the finest lines & trails and up to 9 ultra-modern lifts* on 7 mountains ensure unlimited biking pleasure in the Home of Lässig. Six modern gondolas in Saalbach Hinterglemm, two in Leogang, one in Fieberbrunn bring bikers swiftly and comfortably to the most beautiful mountain peaks and coolest trails. Touring-, Gravel-Bikers and E-bikers will find 400 km mountainbike & gravel bike routes of varying difficulty and on perfect terrain. However, Saalbach Hinterglemm is not only Austria’s largest bike region but also scores points for its legendary trails such as the Hacklberg-Trail and the World Championship trail in the Epic Bike Park Leogang! There are cool events such as the Glemmride Bike Festival 2022 and the World Games of Mountainbiking in Saalbach Hinterglemm making the Home of Lässig a honey pot to all fans of biking.

TIP: JOKER CARD holders can transport their bikes twice a day free of charge on a gondola and take advantage of a 30% discount on bike tickets for unlimited use of all operating gondolas, including bike transport in Saalbach Hinterglemm, in the Epic Bikepark Leogang and in Fieberbrunn.

NB: we don't rent out our apartment in summer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@radar, we'd want a hotel so yore apartment is safe from my 2 wrecking balls
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
Leogang would be my choice if I were going with pals but my marriage would suffer if I went missing all day on my DH rig while she entertained the kids.

I always thought you were female (with that username) Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
What areas would people recommend for just pleasant mountain walking? Ideally not constantly interrupted by bikes!
snow conditions
Totally agree on the Joker card.
Once you subtracted the cost of the lift pass from out hotel price it cost us minus ~ 9 Euros a night for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast!
ski holidays
Quote:

Over 80 km of the finest lines

I'm intrigued where this comes from, as the linked page only has 51km of trails noted.
snow report
@ecureuil, in Saalbach the mountain trails for bikes are in the main separate to the walking ones, there is an occasional shared section running down the valley from Hinterglemm you do a have mix on the pedestrian/cycle way that goes from Hinterglemm down to Maishofen it wide enough for it not to be an issue.

On Komoot or Outdoor active there are several routes, the tourist board routes can be dowloaded and impaired into either app, we enjoy walking of the Zwolferkogel definitely no bikes on that one, the walk up to the Spielberghaus is good the occasional bike as you get closer to the restaurant , the re are quite a few tranquil ones.

Edit: this the link to the walk I mentioned https://www.saalbach.com/en/tour/panorama-tour-2-summits-1-lake_58183843

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-03-22 14:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@TheGeneralist, let me help you find it, https://www.saalbach.com/en/summer/mountain-biking
latest report
Yes indeed, I followed that link when you posted it ( or something similar) above. I can see the 80km headline, but when I look at the detail I see 51km. Interested to know what the reality is ( probably that I can't add up!)
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, I’ve checked the first link I posted and can’t find any reference to “51 km”

This is the copy from the landing page on the trails map

“ Thanks to the interactive trail map, orientation in the "Home of Lässig" becomes child’s play: You can identify precisely each and every trail. You receive a detailed description, photo gallery of trails, many tips and tricks as well as the appropriate GPS track to download. Have a nice time browsing. Note: For permanently maintained and supervised lines & trails, an open/closed status is provided, for unattended trails this cannot be provided.
ski holidays
Quote:

I’ve checked the first link I posted and can’t find any reference to “51 km

It's just the sum total of the described trails.
snow report
@TheGeneralist, though I was losing it, I think what it is , is that these are suggested routes which gives you 51km, the total number of trails as in pistes is 80km.

I think it’s a bit like the ski circus circuits, if you add those up you possibly won’t come to the total number of skiable KM.
snow conditions
[quote="Kramer"]
Cacciatore wrote:

Quote:
How far away is the lift accessed mountain biking?

That kinda depends on where you stay - it’s a big area!

Quote:
Also I've heard that the landlady is a bit of a tyrant? wink

I’m mildly surprised to read that, Kramer….though I probably shouldn’t be, on reflection… wink
ski holidays
Interested in the comments that Saalbach has made many improvements over the last 7 years.
There’s the top of X-line, some reworked bits on Pro & Blue, Panorama is really good now, bottom of Hackelberg reworked.
I can’t think of anything else though? No big new trails?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy