Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed for first trip (Austria)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I am planning a lastmin beginner ski trip going this saturday to wed to Austria and so far have only booked my flight to Salzburg. I have been recommended zell ell see or Innsbruck and wondering what people think of these locations and from Salzburg if there are better options?

Also where at these resorts should i stay, given i need to do ski lessons and hire equipment, i would prefer somewhere close to slopes and ideally a ski school that books everything for u?

Also i have purchases from amazon a ski jacket, trousers, hat, gloves and googles, is there anything else i need?

Thanks!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
*zell am see
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Socks (ski ) baselayers fleeces pref a couple of different weights buff

I would ask in the ski Amade thread on the forum for recommendations - some resorts have closed, going to snow this weekend
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First ski trips are always full of uncertainty until you actually get on the slopes, from then on it's fun fun fun! Enjoy yourself!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skinewbie1, welcome to the madness!

Not sure how useful this will be, but here's a run down of what I remember doing on our first ski trip! You already have Salzburg flights to work from...

1 - Resorts nearer Salzburg probably puts you in line for Ski Amade and Saalbach-Hinterglemm (can recommend the latter, we did our second trip there and it was good for beginner-ish folk).

2 - look at the piste maps and google maps - and decide what kind of accommodation you want. Hotel? Self-catering? For a short trip I'd say book a hotel if you can then you're not worrying about breakfast etc. For instance, in Hinterglemm you'd want to be near the short blue learner pistes around Der Schwarzacher from experience. There are good threads on both Ski Amade and Saalbach with lots of advice and helpful people on the ground.

3 - See what transfers are available (or book a hire car). There will be buses or trains with varying levels of faff, depending on when your flights arrive and depart.

4 - When you've sorted your resort and accom, contact the ski school directly for ask for lessons, and see what is available. There are usually a few ski schools so you may wish to take advice from the threads as above. They may also be able to advise on ski hire shops (or, for ease - book the one closest to your hotel or the lift!) As a beginner, hire beginner kit, the shop will advise when you're there.

6 - buy a ski pass (either online before you get there, or you can just do it when you are there - our hotel sorted it for us in Saalbach!).

5 - Relax. You've done the job. Now you can just research restaurants for dinner and watch videos of snowy scenes on youtube until you leave. snowHead

As mentioned above though, make sure you check what is open at any given resort. Saalbach plans to be open until the 18th, but some connections may be shut. That may not matter to you are a beginner on a short trip though. Saalbach-Hinterglem has a decent ski bus during the day so getting around shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Edited to add - Innsbruck isn't a resort as such, it's a city with various resorts around it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's not a lot of snow in Zell at the moment! https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/

Hinterglemm is a good plan as it is a few hundred meters higher than Zell, or many of the surrounding villages. Snow & Fun have a ski school and hire shop in one and will also sell you a pass.

Kaprun might also be a good idea at this time of year as it is a glacier, however, the weather forecast is for snow and cold temperatures for the next few days so it could be very bleak......

Depending on your flight times, car hire or taxi could get you an extra couple of half days skiing. Otherwise, the Holiday shuttle, Postbus or train to Zell would be options. Have a look on the Saalbach/Hinterglemm thread and PM Tatmanstours for some ideas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skinewbie1, in this case I'd skip Innsbruck - it's a city not a ski resort and you want to make things as easy for yourself as possible.

As above, flying into Salzburg for me Saalbach comes first to mind as a great place to learn to ski. You'll find loads of hotels and apartments on booking.com; if budget allows choose one within walking distance of the Kohlmais and Bernkogel lifts (they are very close together so if one is in walking distance the other will be too).

Contact Fürstenauer Ski School for lessons: https://skischule-saalbach.at/en/

They can also arrange your ski & boot hire, and the family do own apartments too so may also be able to arrange accommodation with them in one package.

Hope you have a great trip!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Klamm Franzer, now you mention it, Snow and Fun is where we got lessons and ski hire there - both were fine and friendly!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Contact Fürstenauer Ski School for lessons: https://skischule-saalbach.at/en/

They can also arrange your ski & boot hire, and the family do own apartments too so may also be able to arrange accommodation with them in one package.

This is very good advice - they can help you with the ski pass you need, too.

If you have a jacket and trousers, just take some different layers to wear underneath - it's been very warm but a cold spell is forecast. Fleeces are good. And maybe jogger bottoms under the trousers. Don't let anybody persuade you that you need special "technical" base and mid layers. And if are missing anything vital, there will be shops in Saalbach keen to sell it to you.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skinewbie1, as has been said by others Saalbach Hinterglemm would be a good choice, there is a shuttle service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en from the Airport to your accommodation in Saalbach we have just used them and found them to be good and reliable, the Holiday Shuttle is mentioned above but it has stopped for the season,, or you can get the bus from the air port with one change https://fahrplan.salzburg-verkehr.at or download the app you can buy tickets through it and it will give you rail and bus alternatives.

Check what is open, some resorts will have partial closures, Saalbach Hinterglemm is closing some runs from 8 April

There is also a Saalbach thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156241&start=960

For gear get a couple of decent base layers and a mid layer which is slightly heavier, merino is good and light or something manmade that has anti smell built in Very Happy , also a helmet check with the ski school if they hire them out. Socks get proper ski socks they will make a big difference .

Base layers edit, something like Uniqlo heattech , M&S do something similar and then for a midlayer a lightweight jumper of fleece that you might already have.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 31-03-22 8:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flachau is a snowsure resort about 40 minutes by bus from Salzburg, and has lots of easy skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

For gear get a couple of decent base layers and a mid layer which is slightly heavier, merino is good and light or something manmade that has anti smell built in

yes, if time and money are unlimited - but you'll already have suitable things, I'm sure. You've only got a few days to ski, so smell won't be a significant problem! And you'll be in the open air.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
xscreamer wrote:
Flachau is a snowsure resort about 40 minutes by bus from Salzburg, and has lots of easy skiing.

You mean by minibus shared transfer? There isn't any public transport from Salzburg to Flachau directly
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
xscreamer wrote:

You mean by minibus shared transfer? There isn't any public transport from Salzburg to Flachau directly

Yes there is. There's a bus from Salzburg HBF to Flachau (and other villages). The bus from Salzburg Airport to the HBF takes 15 mins and costs €4. I believe HBF to Flachau is free if you can show you have a lift pass.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I meant from the airport as thats the OPs starting point so no chance of a 40 minute journey. I will bow to your better knowledge that there is a bus from HBF...as I've said before I've never found public transport to be quick or convenient....can you link to the timetable please?
snow report
Just to update, i ended up spending 4 days in Hinterglemm and did a beginners ski course had lots of fun and got on the mountians on day 3. There was plenty of snow and it was so easy go get there using train from salzburg to zell am se.

Loved the place, but only downside was Hinterglemm is slightly too quiet not much apres ski or places to go in the evening and only one supermarket which had limited opening hours

However it was a great quick getaway so thanks for the recommendations!
ski holidays
Glad it worked out, @Skinewbie1, thanks for reporting back. snowHead
snow report
@Skinewbie1, great, sounds like you got the bug and will be looking at your second ski trip!

Apres in Hinterglemm, we had some fun dancing on tables in Der Schwarzacher back in the day, and there's a biker-type bar in the village that was quite cool. Or the goat place. Anyway, i wonder if the apres vibe is slightly different because of being not long out of restrictions and near the end of season. Not that Hinterglemm is known for it's hopping nightlife. NehNeh
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Did some research. It would appear that the dedicated bus from Salzburg HBF will restart next season. I will publish the timetable if it happens.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks. That could be useful
snow conditions
@Skinewbie1,
Quote:

Loved the place, but only downside was Hinterglemm is slightly too quiet not much apres ski or places to go in the evening and only one supermarket which had limited opening hours

The explanation for this is that you visited Hinterglemm in April. Things begin to wind down in late March. Normally you would have a lively après scene at the Goassstall, the Schwarzacher and the London Pub/Tanzhimmel, as well as various other bars in the village.
FWIW I prefer the après in Saalbach (but I live there so must declare a bias).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy