Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia

Poster: A snowHead
Planning my ski trip for February 2007! Last year had an enjoyable week in Obergurgl with my wife and daughter (complete beginners), my 14 year old son (fearless and improving fast) and me (pretty ropey, king of the blues, but reds OK). This year there will be the 3 of us (daughter off to university), and looking perhaps to ring the changes, and wondered about Italy. Interested to see little comment on these boards on that area. Any reasons for this? I hear quite good things about Cervinia. I'm looking for the obvious things - nice hotel, good restaurants, picturesque village, nice ambience, not too onerous transfer, broad selection of pistes, good ski school etc etc. Does Cervinia (or elsewhere in Italy) tick the boxes, or should I look back to Austria or Switzerland? Any views most welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia has got an excellent range of extremely flattering pistes, ideal for early intermediates, however stronger skiers will find it a little limited.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember one of the most popular pistes is called the Ventina, which is a long cruising red. You can also ski over to Zermatt for the day (Be sure to take your passport with you and choose a good day weather-wise, as sometimes high winds can cause the return lifts to close, leaving you stranded on the Swiss side) Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink,
Quote:

Be sure to take your passport

Not at all necessary. There are no border controls that I've ever come across.

I like Cervinia, if you enjoyed Obergurgl, a lot of the skiing in Cervinia is similar, plus if you fancy venturing O-P a bit there's loads of safe, but fun stuff in between the pistes. Also some great on mountain food. The village isn't the prettiest place though and if the weather closes in there's no low skiing in the trees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Sparks wrote:
Alastair Pink,
Quote:

Be sure to take your passport

Not at all necessary. There are no border controls that I've ever come across.

I didn't come across a border control either - but I still think it's good advice to have your passport with you if you are crossing into another (non EU) country! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
noggy, we fancied going to Italy next year and settled on Arabba - it has the big stumpy rock thing that the Sella Rond goes around and Inghams do a transfer from Bolzano, which is under two hours. We skied Obergurgl last year... nice ski area, bit pricey - no riffraff! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noggy,

Haven't been to Cervinia, but am a big fan of Italy. Not much chat about it on here, don't know why?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Cervinia has a great choice for red run skiers amd beginners. And with Zermatt next door, the possibilities are endless, along with better views.
I have never been asked for a passport there, but it is common sense to bring it with. Also, if you are stuck at either resort after the lifts closing and the piste bashers won't give you a lift, its a very very expensive taxi ride!

One thing I found bad in Cevinia were the lifts... they were slow and old.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 31-05-06 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
noggy, we fancied going to Italy next year and settled on Arabba - it has the big stumpy rock thing that the Sella Rond goes around and Inghams do a transfer from Bolzano, which is under two hours. We skied Obergurgl last year... nice ski area, bit pricey - no riffraff! wink

Which Hotel are you going to? Sounds like your doing exactly the same trip I did in Jan this year. I Stayed in the Sport Hotel. Who'll trip was great.

Cervinia, did this in late March this year.

Resorts not the pretties and the lift system could be better (some long buttons) but if you're a beginner I cannot think of a place better to increase your confidence. Lond wide easy runs. Fantastic cruising. Zermatt for the trickier stuff but you have to be up and over early to get to the best slopes. This should be easier next year with the new lift being built though.

I've heard horror stories about people not making it back but we had no problems. Passport probably a good idea but we didn't bother.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tp023, I think it's the Olympia...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Noggy, My wife, 14year old son and I are headed to Alagna for two weeks mid-March. It's part of the Monterosa Ski area, a very large Italian area bordering and just east of Cervinia. We've been once before and loved it. The villages, Champoluc, Gressoney, and Alagna are pretty and the skiing is very varied. Good stuff for everyone and plenty of it. The views are tremendous too. We have also skied Cervinia and Courmayeur too, which is also nearby, to the west of the others. Of all the villages, Courmayeur is the prettiest and most vibrant. Unfortunately, Cervinia's probably the least good looking of the group with a mix of architecture but it is nonetheless a pleasant place. You'd really have a good time at any of these places. They all have the great talian food and culture which I guess is drawing you to Italy in the first place. It's what grabbed us even though we still like the big mountain skiing in France and Switzerland too. If you want to do some research try http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp. There's plenty of great information in the book that you can buy online that should really help you make an informed decision.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to Cervinia at the end of March this year, skiing was excellent lots of fresh snow and nice cruising runs. The food on the mountain is very good. If self catering, the supermarket seemed to have just about everything you could want, good range of shops in the village and The Tea Room is a must for coffee and cakes. Our kids (10 & 12) enjoyed ski school and the instructors seemed to really get on well with the kids. Yes there are some long button lifts, but there is also a gondola and cable car out of the village to about half way up and then a fairly new high speed quad from there to the top.
We really enjoyed our trip to Cervinia and will definately be going back in the near future.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't know about the ski school but it ticks all your other boxes. It's (a lot) cheaper than Zermatt, you get to ski under the Matterhorn (it's a high resort) and you get the easy going Italian style. Italian hotel build quality and electrics can be, er entertaining but for the slopes and eating out Cervinia would be fine for you.

(In my experience passport wasn't necessary).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are border controls at the bottom (Italian) and top (Swiss) of the cable car up to Plateau Rosa. They weren't staffed when I went through, though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been stopped and searched at the border control by the Swiss. They were searching for cannabis.

Not much to add to the above. If you can get a hotel that avoids the steps up to the cable car station (either by staying above or next to said station or in a hotel that runs minibuses to it) you'll avoid whinging from some members of the party wink . There's a very good restaurant that partway up the piste that has a good room in the cellar (I'll try and look-up the name) too, that may get missed by a lot of people. Also, it can get very busy at weekends, esp. Sunday.
snow report
noggy, Have been there 4 times on the trot for the following reasons:

Perfect Blue Pistes for beginners and timid intermediates
Almost guaranteed snow (only it was in short supply early Feb this year)
Italian hospitality
Good mountain restaurants and plenty of them
Reasonably priced food and drink (nothing like the prices in France)
Average transfer time, and picturesque one at that.

The draw backs are:

Turin airport
Whole lift system can close down for days due to high altitude (cloud) and windy exposed mountain ranges
No trees
Very few snow cannons if needed
Small, uninteresting town – so nothing to do when lifts closed
Quiet Aprè Ski
Steps, steps and more steps to the Cable car or hike up the road and no lockers to leave skis in. (only 2 hotels in the resort are near the cable car)
Long drag lift if you want to avoid the steps/road.
Lots of old non-detachable un-manned chair lifts (some are dangerous)
Experienced skiers may find the runs “samey”

You have to pay extra for a lift pass to Zermatt and it’s only useful for good skiers.
If you miss the lift back from Zermatt, which many do, its a very expensive overnight stay!

If this resort updated its lift system, created some form of lift system from the resort to the cable car, and introduced a more Austrian aprè ski feel, it would be the perfect resort.

The tourist office website is down at the moment but lots of info on there, and webcams

http://www.cervinia.it/

We didn't go back a 5th time, but our friends did, and spent 5 days skiing just 2 runs, as the lift system was closed due to bad weather!!
ski holidays
Quote:
only 2 hotels in the resort are near the cable car

There are apartments above the cable car so you can either ski down (from one set) or walk across the car park (from others), if you fancy that.
Also, the more expensive and further out hotels run minibuses to the cable car.

Quote:
Long drag lift if you want to avoid the steps/road.

Yeah, but if the weather's good it's a cracking view from said drag.

Quote:
If this resort updated its lift system, created some form of lift system from the resort to the cable car, and introduced a more Austrian aprè ski feel, it would be the perfect resort.

Some bars do try and do this, but the week we went there were loads of families around so they were fighting a losing battle.

Finally, if the snow's good Valtournenche may be worth a look - though it's a taxi from the town at night (there are a few bars there, but I suspect it's quiet).
snow report
I have skied/boarded in both Obergurgl & Cervinia. The piste grading is pretty similar, but Cervinia is not as attractive, nor does it have that afternoon apres ski like Obergurgl.

I stayed down the valley in Valtournenche, which is a good option if you have a hire car, as you then have the choice of taking the Valtouenenche lift or a 5 minute drive to park at Cervinia's lifts.

Valtournenche is a lot quieter than cervinia, but a lot more attractive/traditional. There are a few decent bars & restaurants, but it's not lively.
snow report
If you have a hire car, stay in Aosta. Then you have the option of Pila, Cervinia, Courmayeur, La Thuile, etc. etc. There is Val d'Aosta ski pass available.
ski holidays
skanky, well if you are referring to the La Pineta apartments, I wouldn't send a dog to stay there. Our sons stayed there and it was so bad that we got a partial refund from Crystal, then they withdrew the accommodation in their subsequent brochures, but it may well be back by now! ssnowman, we are thinking of Obergurgle next year, is it really as gentle as Cervinia?
snow report
sharon1953, was one lot (had never been there) but there are others above the lift. You can see them on the way up (and down). Couldn't vouch for them, but some people do seem to have a big problem with the steps I thought it was worth mentioning. Personally, I found the steps no issue, so wouldn't bother, but they are ski-in, ski-out (I think).
latest report
sharon1953 wrote:
ssnowman, we are thinking of Obergurgle next year, is it really as gentle as Cervinia?

Yes it is as gentle as Cervinia, but not as extensive. However, the apres ski more than makes up for that!
snow report
ssnowman, well we couldn't decide between revisiting Andorra where we went a few years ago, trying Zillertal Arena area, or Obergurlge, in search of gentle blues. Loved Hinterglemm/Saabach, but blues were too advanced for me! We do love Austria though, so a bit bias!!
ski holidays
sharon1953, I've not skied Andorra, but my wife has.

She's the most nervous skier in the world only venturing off blues if there's no other way, and she loved Obergurgl.
snow conditions
In Obergurgl there are no bars as such, just those attached to the hotels. Being a family chap I wasn't too interested (or allowed) to go out on bar crawls, but I would say (compared to Meribel e.g.) that apres ski in Obergurgl is virtually non-exisent outside of the hotels. It didn't worry me, but I wouldn't say it was great for the under 30s.
snow conditions
noggy, It all depends on what you term apres ski. Obergurgl is afternoon/early evening apres ski. Whereas Meribel is more after dinner/ late night apres ski.

I much preferred the ambience of Obergurgl especially the open-air umbrella bar.
ski holidays
noggy, well at 52 bar crawls are out! We are too tired to even think about it. But what we do like is the 4 - 7pm apre ski complete with ski boots, and umpa/Euro-pop music !!! ssnowman, I have the title of most nervous skier!! Been 8 times & still terrified when outside my comfort zone, even taken skis off and walked down!! But when I'm on well groomed, gentle, wide runs there is nowhere else on earth I would rather be. Will start researching DIY holiday to Obergurgl I think. Is location important with regard to lifts etc? Is Hochgurgl better/cheaper?
snow report
ssnowman, you're right I'm sure. I was referrring to 10pm onwards when I referred to apres . I'm not sure what the definition of apres ski is. I suppose it means anything after the last lift has stopped. In which case I agree, Obergurgl is very jolly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, I would try to stay as close as possible to the main lift in Obergurgl itself.
latest report
sharon1953, Hochgurgl can be rather isolated and the hotels tend to be rather expensive. We did stay at the Riml one Easter abd it was OK, but I wouldn't want to do a DIY holiday to Hochgurgl.

As ssnowman says, if you are going to Obergurgl then stay as close as possible to the main lifts, ideally the Edelweiss or the Jenewein. Don't stay close to the Festkogl lift on the assumption that will be OK, unless you are happy to catch the skibus up to the village centre lifts.

Also, the umbrella bars are by the village centre lifts.

If you are going for a DIY holiday, we have in the past flown to Zurich, caught the train to Oztal Bahnhof and the bus up the valley to Obergurgl. Both the Edelweiss and the Jenewein are only a short distance from the bus stop in the village centre. The train connections from the airport to the city centre in Zurich are good, but we had to change there and had a long wait before the Vienna train came in. Other than that everything worked really well.

I think you might be able to fly into Innsbruck now but I don't know how well the transfers work. Of course, you can always arrange a taxi from Innsbruck to Obergurgl, but again I don't know what it might cost. Most likely, the hotel you book will be able to help.

I've not been to Cervinia so can't compare the two, but there are some nice slopes in Obergurgl and the snow is almost always good.
ski holidays
Derek Jackson, thanks. We flew to Salzburg last year, and got a taxi transfer, all went like clockwork, and as there were 7 of us the cost was minimal, so hoping to do the same, but having used their website, it seems there are only 3 hotels with vacancies for 10th Feb! Either it's too early to book or too late!! How much further is Salzburg than Innsbruck, as we know a cheap airline from Manchester to Salzburg that we would like to use again if poss?
snow conditions
Salzburg is a long way from Obergurgl. I've been diverted there in the past and from memory it is probably some 4 hours from Salzburg to Obergurgl, but I could be wrong.

I would not recommend flying into Salzburg.

Which hotels have vacancies?
snow conditions
Derek Jackson, Burghotel Alpenglühn, Hotel-Gasthof Mühle, Hotel Wurmkogel, Hotel Lohmann Sports & Family and that's all that came up!!
snow report
Well after all that, the prices in Obergurgl have ruled it out, so now looking at Obertauern!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy