Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd-9th April Last minute family holiday, maybe via Treviso?

Poster: A snowHead
My son's passport was due to run out in June so, since it now needs 6 months extra life, we applied for a replacement in the first week of January and...finally the old one has reappeared today. The new one is "in the post" and will hopefully come in the next few days. We are all booked off for the first week of the kids Easter holidays 2nd -9th April. Is there a website I'm missing that will show me to a bargain ski holiday? Or am I looking at another DIY. If it is a DIY, the cheapest flight seems to be Ryanair MAN->Treviso as it's currently <£350 for 4 of us inc luggage etc! GVA, GRN, CBY, Milan all seem about £300 one way, one person, without luggage! No Torino flights I can see from MAN. So a second holiday in the Dolomites is beckoning. Which is the best area this late in the season? Mrs W...S has a bad knee and wants a wellness hotel this time. I'm considering Ortisei/St Ulrich to ski Alpe di Suisi (maybe Hotel Hell?) or St Viglio to ski Kronplatz (maybe Aqua Bad Cortina?). Is there a better choice of area for a couple of 10/11 year olds who were skiing blacks in 2020 but appear to have forgotten 80% of what they once knew? Where are lessons from Ortisei? On Alpe di Suisi or on the southfacing slopes heading towards Selva (presumably mush after 2)? Any advice appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dolomites in April….only if you like slush
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@what...snow, I’m just back from 6 nights in Alba, after doing the Sella Ronda on Monday, where any south facing runs were soft and not enjoyable ( for me at least ) I spent the rest of the week looking for, and staying on slopes that faced anything but south, which meant in reality towards Arabba staying on the Porto Vescuvo side in the mornings, and after lunch Belvedere above Alba, there would be a small amount of south stuff to encounter on the way. On Friday I had an early start and went round to Corvarra, really good on the way the return less so. I’ve done a daily report in the trips area which has more detail. Can’t help on accom as I was in a small BB hotel, basic but lovely and ideal for solo trip.
For France have you looked at LYS with EasyJet if it’s still running until your dates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hell of a transfer from Treviso to Ortisei. Like the mountain stages of the Tour de France.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could fly to Toulouse and go to the Pyrenees where the snow depths seem reasonable. Nb I have only been to the Pyrenees in summer so do further research before booking.

Alternatively would you consider a self drive package to the French alps? Les arcs would be a good option there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Munich from Manc..... they fly everyday so seem to be cheaper..... Turin and Salzburg from Manc always stop before Easter which always baffles me...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NJ wrote:
Hell of a transfer from Treviso to Ortisei. Like the mountain stages of the Tour de France.

Easiest way would be using the motorways past Verona & Bolzano than trying to navigate mountainous passes, but yes, it's a long way!

Dolomites probably not the best choice for April, unless your doing the off-piste couloirs on the Sella after a spring storm like these guys...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437

Perhaps N facing parts of Arabba or Kronplatz would be holding up still by then???

But maybe best look at other higher options in Austria or France...Obertauern, Kaprun, Hintertux, Ischgl, Tignes, Val Thorens, etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sulden am Ortler & Schnalstal in far N of Italy (in S Tyrol, but beyond the Dolomites, right against Austrian border) have 3000m+ glacier areas that extend the season. Both a long drive from Treviso, but doable! Puzzled

https://www.bergfex.com/suedtirol/

Just need to keep an eye on resort closing dates
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@what...snow, too late in the season I’d suggest, especially this one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there nothing at all from Turin, even non-direct? Looks like a fairly easy drive from there to Orelle which would drop you into the back of Val Thorens.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. There's definitely no direct flights to Turin. There is a Jet2 to Lyon, for nearly £1500 all in for 4 of us. There is a Ryanair to Bergamo for <£700, but it lands at 2140, not ideal for a drive to a ski resort. Over the last 3 days the forecast has really perked up though. Looks like a cold front with snow to below valley level for the Dolomites comes through on Friday and spreads westwards across the Alps through Saturday and Sunday, followed by much colder weather for at least five days. Freeze and barely thaw on the mountains at all levels. Although there is likely to be more snow further into the Alps, it will arrive later so probably sticking to the Dolomites, although I have seen a reasonable package to Cervinia, still to decide between a package or sort myself. Lessons and skis seems fine, have even scoped out car hire and that seems reasonable. Passport still not turned up, hopefully today or tomorrow. Going to mean leaving a lot of organisation to the very last minute Skullie Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@what...snow, can you delay a week. Lets that forecast snow come in, give passport more time.

We are flying to Munich and going to Mayrhofen. Lufthansa looks like about £840 for family of 4 manchester to munich, inc bags and they let you book skis in for free
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, Possibly but I have to work Monday 11th so would have be a DIY leaving Tuesday 12th and coming back on Easter Monday. Plus my Dad is supposed to be visiting, but I've already warned him and he is flexible enough to suddenly switch. I don't think it would be so good for everyone else (kids like group lessons, wife like's Italy). I see longer term the forecast is more snow in the lead up to Easter. I will report back, even if you are all right that the Dollies are wet and soggy. So far the wettest, slushiest places I have skied have been Saalbach, Flachau, Glenshee, Morzine, The Lecht, Nevis Range (in that order).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@what...snow, ah, shame about work. Of course previous week is also possible for that route forecast is looking cold and snowy.... Smile so shouldbe good. Really hope passport turns up. Have to say I have never old turn up BEFORE new one and normally weeks after
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@what...snow, we are heading to Selva on Saturday, so I’ve been keeping an eye on the forecast. Temps appear to be dropping significantly since @geoffknight, was there last week, with a good top up of snow too (fingers crossed)
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Selva-Gardena/6day/mid
ski holidays
@what...snow, sounds like the Treviso flights are a good option, Sun-Sun is even cheaper.

Here are projected closing dates for Dolomiti areas:

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/dolomiti-superski/projected-closing

Shame Civetta & San Martino close on 3rd, but Falcade/Passo San Pellegrino isn't too far from Treviso and stays open until 18th.

Arabba or Cortina would be an option if you can find somewhere to stay.

Looks like a good covering all over in the forecast...

https://wepowder.com/en
snow conditions
Passport arrived today! Nearly finished booking all the bits, just waiting on confirmation from the hotel. Of course the flights went up by >£100 in the last 2 days but still good value. Promise I will keep you updated, even if it's the slushfest predicted by the stereotypers, but the forecast looks pretty good.
snow conditions
@what...snow, yay. Really pleased passport arrived. Looking at forecasts, looks like less slush than mid March would have been for this year. Fingers firmly crossed and hope you have a great time
ski holidays
@what...snow, great news!

Forecasts look promising and you'll likely have the place largely to yourselves, could be the best week of the season! snowHead

Where did you decide upon in the end?
snow conditions
Choose snowboarding, or fat powder skis - ideally with jet ski and rope tow Smile
ski holidays
We have arrived after many adventures! There is at least 8 inches of fresh snow on our balcony here in La Villa, which is one of the lowest villages in this part of the Superski Dolomiti area (1400m).

Temps were 10c at Treviso Airport, -8c where I had to get the snow chains on (I haven’t read a good chains thread on here for a few years but enough nuggets had filtered in that I managed despite being in the middle of the road, on a slope, in the dark, attempting this for the first time) and -2c on arrival. Missed a hot dinner but gained a new skill so swings and roundabouts.

General impression of travel with Ryanair and Manchester Airport is it’s going to be significantly more stressful than it was pre-pandemic. Pre-pandemic MAN was about adequate, today it was about as bad an experience as it is possible to imagine an airport in the U.K. to be TBH (imagine vividly). Over 3 hours standing in one queue after another, mainly security. All the money they are saving on staff, someone is losing in duty free, that was completely empty. No one has time for shopping.

Ryanair experience was slightly worse than the worst experience I’ve previously had with them (must have used them a dozen-20 times), just chaotic, massively understaffed and with website tariffs that nobody understands. We got through without an extra charge but with so much head scratching and sucking of teeth that I’m not expecting the return to go smoothly. Still, freshies tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
Going to restart over in trip reports for anyone interested. 1st attempt at using Imgur for photos.
snow report
@what...snow, glad you made it!

Have to say we were so glad Feb half term we were able to go out from Bournemouth. With 3 flights a day approx, it can't get too crowded..

Sadly that meant going to Geneva which was massively busy.

I am hoping that my trip next week won't be too bad by virtue of being on one of the first flights out
snow report
@what...snow, we are in selva just now. The fresh snow depths made for a very memorable day.
ski holidays
@dode, I bet! There’s a sign in the lift saying the Selva pass is closed to traffic. Presume it’s open now, the snow is only lightly falling here now. Any busier over there? Like your own private mountain here yesterday snowHead
snow conditions
Yesterday we went round by Arabba, the snow was awesome and it was fairly quiet.
Today went up Seceda and down La Longia, then up to Seiser Alm. It was ridiculously quiet over that way, with a good 4-5” fresh snow overnight at top of Seceda.
I’d imagine the Selva pass will be open. We are heading your way tomorrow, to take in Santa Croce in the best viz forecast for the week. So will know for sure then. Haven’t heard anyone in the hotel say anything was shut though.

Enjoy!!
ski holidays
@dode, The Lifts to Santa Croce after La Villa shut for the season yesterday. The last lift still running is Gardenaccia. Kids seem to fancy Colfosco tomorrow pm, not sure what I’ll do am. Went to Arabba today and was knackered by 12! No hanging around in queues or even waiting for the piste to clear. Getting too old for what my brain thinks I can do.

Still looks pretty good though

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-04-22 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
what...snow wrote:
We have arrived after many adventures! There is at least 8 inches of fresh snow on our balcony here in La Villa, which is one of the lowest villages in this part of the Superski Dolomiti area (1400m).

Temps were 10c at Treviso Airport, -8c where I had to get the snow chains on (I haven’t read a good chains thread on here for a few years but enough nuggets had filtered in that I managed despite being in the middle of the road, on a slope, in the dark, attempting this for the first time) and -2c on arrival. Missed a hot dinner but gained a new skill so swings and roundabouts.

General impression of travel with Ryanair and Manchester Airport is it’s going to be significantly more stressful than it was pre-pandemic. Pre-pandemic MAN was about adequate, today it was about as bad an experience as it is possible to imagine an airport in the U.K. to be TBH (imagine vividly). Over 3 hours standing in one queue after another, mainly security. All the money they are saving on staff, someone is losing in duty free, that was completely empty. No one has time for shopping.

Ryanair experience was slightly worse than the worst experience I’ve previously had with them (must have used them a dozen-20 times), just chaotic, massively understaffed and with website tariffs that nobody understands. We got through without an extra charge but with so much head scratching and sucking of teeth that I’m not expecting the return to go smoothly. Still, freshies tomorrow snowHead

Glad you made it!

I flew Ryanair from MAN at half term, was OK then, but maybe a lot more passengers to warmer destinations at Easter??

Bad luck having to do snow chains. Never ever had to do them on many trips to Italy. Which route did you take? Where did the chains have to be fitted?

From Treviso/Venice, it's advisable to choose a resort in the SE quadrant of the Dolomites where you don't have to cross any high passes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what...snow wrote:
@dode, I bet! There’s a sign in the lift saying the Selva pass is closed to traffic. Presume it’s open now, the snow is only lightly falling here now. Any busier over there? Like your own private mountain here yesterday snowHead

Which pass? The Sella or the Gardena?

Usually the passes around the Sella are only closed during and immediately after a moderate to heavy snowfall, until they can get to snowploughs out to clear them.

I thought you would have the place to yourselves, with fresh snow too!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I checked out the route before: come off motorway at Belluno Nord, Agordo, Alleghe, Arabba, Campolungo & Corvara. Top heights 1875m at Campolungo. We were on a tight schedule to make it for dinner so I got driving while she started an audiobook and then sat Nav. All seemed fine until Belluno.

I wasn’t happy with the satnavs notions (I drove this way once, to San Cassiano about 4 years ago) and asked her to try and sort it out. The sat Nav then took us to SP 51 which was shut, then I stopped and took my phone out as hers refused to recognise the hotel address suddenly. Got a redirect and thought it sounded sensible, drive time suddenly dropped 5mins.

It was only when I started seeing villages ending in Cadore and kept getting signs to Cortina that a sinking feeling started to come on. Then the snow started falling around Peaio. But the arrival time kept getting shorter and suddenly we were supposedly 50 minutes away.

Anyway you know what’s coming up…Cortina, a little slide a few times, less and less black visible. 5 Torri car park and barely making 30kms/hr, avoiding the edges of corners as much as possible, keeping it in 2nd, delicate on everything. Just after the car park and 700m to Falzarego (so around 2000m?) got totally stuck, well backwards was ok Shocked Wife asks “have we got chains?”. I’m about to say “not actually sure” when daughter pipes up from the back “they’re on the right, beside your skis”. Remember this is the first ski holiday I haven’t thought of a head torch and get wife out with her phone as torch.

Made a few mistakes getting 1st on but really not bad for 1st attempt. Round the other side and whizz it on 90% in about 5 mins. Can I get the final link on, NO NO NO. 15 mins mucking about on this and eventually gave up, drove 50 yards, quick tighten up and over Falzarego no problem.

The right turn and up to Valparola (2168m) was ridiculous though, masses of snow Confused but the Fiat & I were unstoppable. Through Armentarola and SC, then the road really was black so I said “got to get them off now”. There was a mutinous air but I was 2 mins tops doing that, 5 mins driving and a plate of pig meat and cheese and a huge wine list that I did not have time for. House red please was about as much as I could manage. Then someone tells me I’ve parked in the wrong bit of the hotel and need to move the car 20 yards Confused
latest report
Oh, so you went via Cortina! The road is straighter and better engineered that way, so I guess that's why the satnav picked it, but didn't take into account those high passes in a snowstorm! Skullie

Glad you made it safely. Must have been pretty anxious as the snow got heavier and thicker!! Shocked

I wonder if you would have got over the Campolongo without needing the chains?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy