Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best sealing method for holes (that I may want to use again)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

what would you say is the best method for sealing holes in skis that I may want to use again? I am thinking about moving bindings back 1.5cms but who knows!

Will these plastic plus you hammer in damage the thread?

Ski has titanal.

Thanks!

Dan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Silicone sealant if you're just going to pull it our again, potentially.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaffa tape?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
quiverkiller them?

or use this stuff if it is temporary (we use it when our pool cover gets torn, its waterproof and very sticky)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014JUDBXO/ref=twister_B085V5Z35M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, …Cuppa…Gaffa….nope that’s just slang in the trade….

It’s Gaffer tape….for Riggers and Gaffers….

Lighting engineers…it was originally developed for Ducting (hence duct tape - aka DUCK tape (sic) and then has been used by rigging gaffers or gaffers and riggers - hence gaffer or gaffa (sic) tape….
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, Laughing I wondered - and did actually google it. Lots of retailers selling gaffa tape! I use it for sticking my external hard drive and USB hub to the lid of my laptop.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sometimes described as following:-

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, …and I’m just a pedant….Jaffa Cake…Gaffa Tape…it all makes modern sense….
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, excellent … I like it ….

I ski with a friend whose reality seems to be held together with gaffer tape and epoxy glue. He once had a rucksack which was more gaffer tape than rucksack. And of course I have skied with guides and Alpine youth whose leather gloves sport a hell of lot of gaffer tape….

I feel a ‘uses of gaffer tape’ thread coming on….
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure about the effects of molten wax on the ski core but fill the holes with ski wax & just warm it up to get it back out?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for quiver killer. Move your bindings easily. See piste office.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I wouldn't use wax or silicone to fill holes I "may" use again as the residual lubricant will play havoc with screw retention....
Tape as a temporary fix, then hole plugs if permanent
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX wrote:
Personally I wouldn't use wax or silicone to fill holes I "may" use again as the residual lubricant will play havoc with screw retention....
Tape as a temporary fix, then hole plugs if permanent

Can see your point here definitely. I was thinking more to protect from water ingress over a period of time as OP said they may want to use again.

Gorilla tape (I don't like the branding of these products, but it is a very good quality) would give decent protection but may interfere with remounting position. I've some industrial film splicing tape that's very thin and extremely waterproof that would do this, but it's expensive to buy for such an isolated use.

Which tape would you advise KenX ? Is there a choice product of which we are unaware that's useful for this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair point on wax being a problem for screw retention in future
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Since I'm waiting for the repairman I have some time to overthink this. And, the shop owners have yet to weigh in with the real answer! Very Happy

Could you silicone an appropriately sized thin piece of plastic over the holes so the holes stay clean? Basically just a tougher approach than tape, though thicker, so you'd need to watch the thickness so it wouldn't impede mounting in the new position.

Never heard of gaffer tape, but I'll be looking for it now. I read the primary difference vs duct is that it apparently leaves no residue. If it is otherwise as good/versatile, goodbye duct tape. Although in defense of duct tape, it is intended to be left in place permanently on ductwork; we just hijacked it to the rest of our world.

There are various thread-lock products intended for automotive use (metal to metal). Whether or not these might help hold the screws the second time around might be worth a look.

I do believe water must be excluded 100% or it could get sketchy in there. Even then, could condensation form inside the sealed void and cause problems? If so, what about filling the holes with spray foam (insulation)? Easily removed when the time comes and I'd think the screw would cut right through any remaining residue. Whatever you do, tell us how it went.
ski holidays
T-rex tape over the top of the holes will seal them, (as mentioned above it seals cuts in our pool cover, which collects water on top and the tape remains stuck) You can remove it, but does leave a residue, which you can then remove using Auto Glym intensive tar remover.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy