Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport tips wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

With any luck we will be exiting Geneva in a few weeks after some actual skiing, how exciting after > 2 years.

Anyway, I wanted a few tips re the airport, specifically:

1. What is the best petrol station to fill up at when returning a hire care, i.e. cheapest, near to the airport so the needle doesnt fall off full, but not so out of the way that we will take ages or get lost finding it.

We should be coming into Geneva on the E62, but we might take the D1005 route south of the lake for a change.

2. We have some lounge passes that can get us into the following - Horizon Lounge, Marhaba Lounge, Air France Lounge or Swiss Business Lounge - which is the best for a group of four (adults and kids).

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ster, Geneva lounges are my middle name. Swiss lounge is the best. No views to speak off but decent wine and food selection, and free flowing haribo and chocs. Wifi is good. Need to pop out to use the loo which is annoying but you’ve got 4 of you so no need to take bags etc.
Marhaba lounge close second - better views and good coffee.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The supermarket at Carrefour at Ferney Voltaire is probably the closest cheep filling station to the airport. It's easy to find turn right at the rounabout just after entering France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you’re renting from the Swiss side, then Migrol Service at https://goo.gl/maps/Vvf7h96ytKLhaMq3A is my preferred option, or the Tamil across the road.

My preferred route is to come off the motorway (E62 from France) a junction early and go past IKEA. I do this anyway for the car rental return as it avoids getting caught up in the zoo around Geneva airport.

Re lounges - I’d take the Marhaba over Swiss most days. Peek in from the outside to check it’s not overcrowded (used to be a problem just before the ?Emirates flight was leaving) but absent that I think it’s a much nicer environment, with natural light, more seats, runway views, and marginally better (at least less stodgy) food. But this is snowheads, so someone else we be along shortly to tell nadenoodle and I that we’re both wrong and you should do X. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nadenoodlee, I have always thought the Swiss lounge at Geneva was pretty scruffy and small, not a patch on the ones in Zürich. Fine for a brief stop waiting for a flight though not sure if I would use up vouchers on it. Cant comment on the others. Unlimited supply of booze if that is a consideration.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My preference is the Marhaba (previously Dnata), it's a good size, light and airy and normally pretty quiet. Food and drink is nothing to get excited about but it does the job. Was in there a couple of weeks ago and there were about 5 other passengers in there. I don't think I've ever seen more than a dozen or so in pre-covid days. Maybe I've just been lucky.

You probably won't get into the Air France/KLM one as quite small and they usually reserve it for their own passengers.

Horizon gets quite busy and I thought a bit dark and dingy.

I really can't remember the Swiss lounge but I don't think it was much different to the BA one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who cares if the Swiss lounge is scruffy, if the booze and chocs keep flowing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On my last two visits (January and last Friday), the Marhaba lounge has been closed - very annoying!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to jump on this thread with my own query, having nearly missed flight home 2yrs ago, wondering about getting fast passes for security for our return on 09 April? Or will the airport have quietened down by then?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@trmacc, this thread seems more relvant to your query and has some good info already - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157996&highlight=geneva+airport
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
trmacc wrote:
Going to jump on this thread with my own query, having nearly missed flight home 2yrs ago, wondering about getting fast passes for security for our return on 09 April? Or will the airport have quietened down by then?

In my experience - not really worth it.

Been through without fast track a couple of times on non-peak weeks this season and there weren't any queues outside the security zone/the snake inside kept moving and to 20-30 min (much quicker if you're lucky and get sent to the new machines, off to the right of the main/older ones).

Been through in the past with fast track when it was busy and there was a queue snaking through the terminal to get into the queue snaking through the security zone...and the security staff wouldn't let me duck in to the fast track but made me follow the first snake until I got to the fast track entrance, kind of defeating the purpose in my mind.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ARRIVING IN GVA
============
1: Make a beeline for the ATM and draw out either 50Chuffs or 30Euros to tip your transfer driver.
2 : If hiring a car, so long as it's not raining, and you don't have too much clobber with you, it can be quicker to walk to the car hire than wait for the shuttle.
3: Buy your Duty free before departure as the shop in GVA is not especially cheap.
4: If you're heading into the City, use the free travel ticket available from the machine just before just you go through the RED / Green lane to exit arrivals.
5: If you need a few provisions / chocolate / tinnies go to the Migros supermarket in the concourse by the station ( 1 floor down from Arrivals.
6: If you're being picked up by a friend, have them wait in the free car park at Balexert (outside) although the underground parking there is still cheaper than the airport).
7: If you have a CdS, you can go through the EU passport channel (quicker) with a UK passport and your CdS.
8: All garages sell vignettes so if your French hire car doesn't have one, don't sweat it, just stop at the first garage you see.

Departing GVA
=========
1: Avoid weekends and Friday nights
2: Traveling to the airport by train avoids queues at the Bardonnex border or Veigy, which can be very lengthy during rush hour.
3: Buy Duty free airside on landing (see point 3 above)
4: The French-side shuffle is a lot harder to pull off these days, unless you are very good at playing very dumb.
5: Migros for pre-flight / in flight snacks as way cheaper ( see 5 above)
6: IMHO BA check in / bag drop is better organised than Easy Jet : you pays your money ... you takes your choice.
7: Stick as much as you can in your hold bag as the security prep area is much smaller than LHR or LGW
8: There's plenty of 24h garages to fill up so don't sweat saving 4ct per litre by going to Ferney.
9: There's fewer charging points out on the B satellite hub, so charge your devices in the main terminal before heading out there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WindOfChange, cheers, all good general stuff and reminders. We have been to GVA and hired cars there before, so good with most of that info, and in terms of departing GVA most of those aspects are now fixed for us.

So info on the two specific queries in the first post would be much appreciated and looks like you've answered the petrol station one. Anything on the lounges?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know enough about when GVA is and isn't busy. I normally do book both Speedy boarding (Easyjet) and FastTrack when travelling on a Saturday (it's often a zoo) but 9th is a Monday, so no idea.

Fast Track security at GVA is 10CHF (about £Cool per passenger. If it's busy that'll be £8 well spent. If it isn't busy then you've wasted the cost of a pint of beer up the mountain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, When I commuted every Mon-Fri from GVA-LCY I used to use the Priority Pass Lounges which at the time were fine. (Not too busy, free fruit, coffee, papers etc. -- no booze as it was normally 6:30 AM on a Monday and I was going straight to my desk on arrival at LCY)
I tend not to use them now as I get free* beer and food at the other airport catering outlets.

*I get the Swiss equivalent of luncheon vouchers that I never use, so it builds up to a healthy amount of airport beer tokens Smile
ski holidays
Thanks everyone , great info there.

So in summary what I've taken is

1. Off-site Petrol - Doesnt sound like a bit saving to be had (?) , but if time allows then Migrol Service or Carrefour at Ferney Voltaire looks convenient (must remember to ask/tell rental car I might take it into France - I dont imagine this will be an issue but best to check)

2. Lounge - A toss up between Marhaba Lounge & Swiss (we've only been in BAs before so had no experience of these) - I thought Swiss might have the best as they are the local airline but sounds not necessarily so, but it may come down to which is least busy when we want to use it. So may pop my head around the door of each before committing as I dont think that they are far apart.

Cheers all
snow report
@munich_irish, you’ve identified the difference between Geneva and Zurich in all respects- its much smarter up here wink I’d say the gate E lounge at ZRH is possibly even better than Zurich Swiss due to the outdoor terrace. Gate D Swiss lounge is same as GVA. But for food quality, booze variety and the movenpick ice cream in summer oh and their love of sporting events (World Cup 2018 they had a beer and hot dogs stand and big screens) - its Swiss for me.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, one issue - it seems the free travel into Geneva city is no longer offered. That at least was the essence of the notice across the machine where you used to get them.
latest report
@j b, was it out of order, or just plain discontinued?
I flew back here in late Jan, but I didn't pay it too much attn as Mrs WoC came to collect me.

It seems like there is a new free travel programme that will replace it.

https://www.tdg.ch/les-billets-de-bus-gratuits-ont-disparu-404827475037
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@munich_irish, you’ve identified the difference between Geneva and Zurich in all respects- its much smarter up here wink

Not the only difference.
Zurich's the only airport I've flown into with hold luggage, taken less than 15 minutes to get from plane to baggage hall...to find bags already on the carousel waiting for us!
Geneva on the other hand is the only airport I've flown into with hold luggage where they've tagged one carousel with the flight number...but sent the bags out on a different one.
snow conditions
Zurich is, all round, a much better airport experience than Geneva from baggage arrival to outbound security/passport control. The railway station also seems better connected without the need to always go into the main bahnhof, unlike Geneva.
ski holidays
I guess Zurich is the main airport, busy all year round. Geneva just copes with massive numbers for a few days of the year - much harder to deal with. Most British skiers only experience Gva airport on a busy Saturday - the rest of the time it's fine!
snow report
Zurich can be just as bad as Geneva. Even worse on occasion.

Avoid Mondays and Fridays at Zurich Airport , or do so at your peril.

Yes the station is great but so are all airport rail stations and Geneva is no exception. Most trains do go to Zurich main station, unless you are going North East or occasionally West.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-03-22 17:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, I didn't make a note, but I think it said it would not be available in 2022. But good news if something else is on the way.
snow report
Dont risk dropping your car at the 'wrong side' i.e. hire in France, return to France.
A few years ago we were charged 120 Euro for the privelege of the car being returned to the correct side!
snow report
Zurich arrivals hall on half term Saturday this year was a complete shocker. 1h30 wait for passport control and lots of people ducking under barriers etc with no enforcement. Absolutely rammed. By contrast have had smooth trips through GVA this year and before. Not on Mondays or Fridays though!
snow report
pam w wrote:
I guess Zurich is the main airport, busy all year round. Geneva just copes with massive numbers for a few days of the year - much harder to deal with.

Actually Geneva's a much busier airport than Zurich, with over 50% more passengers/year and getting on for 50% more flights/year than Zurich. And that's not just skiers making the difference, it's certainly as big a hub for Swiss as Zurich and I think actually bigger.
ski holidays
@Mjit, You've actually got that the wrong way around.

Swiss' main hub is Zurich and Zurich has (nearly) twice the number of passengers as Geneva afaik.

PS .. you need to go back pre-Covid for real numbers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, hadn't spotted Google was giving me skewed Covid numbers.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, 4: The French-side shuffle is a lot harder to pull off these days, unless you are very good at playing very dumb.

What do you mean by this?

I usually rent from the French side and have never had a problem. The only difference being that they started requiring a boarding pass +/- 1 day in order to cross between the Swiss and French side a few years ago, but that's no hassle since I'm always either arriving or departing from the airport when I need to access the French car rental area.
snow report
musehead wrote:
@WindOfChange, 4: The French-side shuffle is a lot harder to pull off these days, unless you are very good at playing very dumb.

What do you mean by this?

I usually rent from the French side and have never had a problem. The only difference being that they started requiring a boarding pass +/- 1 day in order to cross between the Swiss and French side a few years ago, but that's no hassle since I'm always either arriving or departing from the airport when I need to access the French car rental area.

We went through to the French side at GVA 10 days ago to get our (French) taxi to Les Carroz. You go up the stairs/lift in arrivals (having exited from airside into the Swiss sector), through the glass tunnel, and are then met by a bod wanting to see a boarding pass. From memory the boarding pass is supposed to be dated +/- 1 day, but ours were only a few hours old. After that there were a couple of bored Customs/Douaines asking if we had anything to declare. No actual problems, just more checks (the sniffer dogs missed the bacon, sausage and black pudding squirreled away in my luggage rolling eyes ). Once through there are about 20-30 flight check-in desks, but none seemed operational.

Our taxi driver then left the French side, all the way down the access road for Ferney, turned right back into CH, down the Motorway, and back into FR again at Bardonnex. On the way home we were dropped off at the Kiss&Fly area in the Swiss sector. Rules are rules I suppose.
snow report
Oh yes, anyone know what UK coin can be used in the Geneva luggage trolleys? I think there is one but can’t recall which.
latest report
@ster, From recollection it’s either a £2 or a 2p coin - it’s been 3 yrs since our last visit & neither me or MrChuckles3 can remember which one.
snow report
@ster, 2p
ski holidays
@snowdave, thanks

Now how do you even get a 2p these days.
latest report
Another + for Zurich - the trolleys are free Very Happy
snow report
I've never had that issue with baggage at GVA. I find that if you don't rush, just walk through to the baggage hall, your bags normally arrive roughly the same time that you do. [NB I rarely fly in/out on Saturdays].

I always walk to the car hire car park, quicker than waiting for the shuttle

I normally just fill up at the petrol station at the airport. Simplest way to do it. However, coming from Annecy direction, I have worked out that if you fill up at the last service station on the motorway, then drive economically, it is still regarded as 'full' when you arrive.
ski holidays
@ster, or even a £2 coin . It's been years since I've seen them.
ski holidays
@johnE, thanks, I think @Chuckles3, also mentioned a £2 coin, but same as you, what with carrying less cash than ever, I can't remember when I last saw a £2 coin.
ski holidays
Trolleys are 2 EUro or 2 Swiss franc coin.
Nowhere to get cash in the baggage carousel hall and nowhere the money changer had minimum change of 20 Swiss francs , a flat five franc change fee and a spread on the exchange rate.
Welcome to Switzerland!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy