Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smith Chromapop Lens flaw

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I got a new pair of googles earier this year and noticed that the pink lens has marks/flaws all over the lens on the inside. When using the lens it does affect visibility and is sort of blurry.

Just wondering if this is something anyone else has seen before? Is it a flaw, or just the nature of these lenses? The other lens I had with them doesn't have this, but it's a different lens so I wasn't sure if it was something with the lowlight/pink lenses etc?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scottland, no reason why the low light lenses should be blurry. Have you rubbed the inside surface of the lens? The coatings can be fairly delicate. If it has been like that from the beginning, then it's a warranty issue IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scottland, definitely flaw or damage. Mine and Mrs U’s crystal clear
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you hold them in very bright sunlight and look obliquely across the surface it will show if there's "crazing" within the lens structure which can obscure clear vision. A material fault in other words.

Or, if it's just visible on one surface (inside or outside) it's a coating issue. Outside is colour/density usually, with inside often having an anti fog coating.

Either way shouldn't be there, with clear undistorted vision through the lens at all points the reason for coating it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had to remove the protective film off the inside of the last pair of goggles, just saying.........
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@KenX, just thinking that myself funnily enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Yeah I did wonder if there was another layer of protective film on there but doesn't appear to be so. There was already a film later on there that was removed...

It doesn't appear to be in the lens structure itself, just on the inside so as @ski3 suggests - could be anti fog coating. I'll see if I can get hold of the retailer or Smith re a replacement lens.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scottland, Just an idea..............The protective film for mag goggles is a very precise fit to the lens, and sometimes splits, so you think it has come off, but it leaves a thin layer behind. I have had a pair do exactly what you have described, (on the storm rose lens) and the thin layer was not obvious at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy