Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots woes - preparing for the next season.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I've just came back from 8 days skiing trip to Austria - 85% on piste , 15 % off piste and I've had horrible experiences with the boots. I was renting from multiple shops and my experience has been as follows:

Boot #1: Atomic - Felt ok when fitting the boot, managed to last two hours on the piste. Pain on the underside of the foot. Took in back to the rental shop.

Boot #2: Atomic - Older lady (more experienced perhaps?) looked at my foot, did some tests a pressure sensitive plate and said boot #1 was too big and that due to the flat foot I need special insole. Gave me a smaller boot and fitted it with Formthothics insole: https://www.formthotics.com/activity/ski I skied with this setup the longest. The first 1h of skiing every day was horrible - a lot of pain which eventually subsidized. I could feel there was more room in the boot that I'd like. When skiing down making turns I wasn't experiencing the pain (adrenaline perhaps?) but the boot was extremely uncomfortable on a long flat easy blue runs where I wasn't making turns.

Boot #3 From another rental shop, another set of tests with the pressure plate and some 3d photos machine. They've selected the boot for me but couldn't fit the insole from the previous boot into it (the insole was too large). I tried the smaller boot that I thought fitted me very well - it was tight but not pinching anywhere - comfortable in the rental shop. It became extremely uncomfortable after 30 mins of skiing (already on the way up in a gondola I knew it was going to be horrible).

Boot #4 The guy at the shop thought my problems was related to wide feet. He gave me a different branded boot (Solomon), bigger and placed two insoles to make it tighter. More room inside the boot - still comfortable in the shop and again extremely uncomfortable after 30 mins of wearing it - pain on the outside and inside front of the foot.

Boot #5 I've had it for the day - we went with the bigger size (Fisher - he said this particular model was much wider than usual), inserted the custom insole from boot #2 - last day was chilling we didn't do anything crazy. Still not 100% pain free but less pain that the other boots however, I could feel it was too big as I was swimming inside of it - I wasn't feeling comfortable with the turns.

For the next trip I really want to avoid this experience. I'm in Belgium and was thinking of going to a reliable bootfitter like Black Sheep Sport in Munich for a custom boot but part of my problem is that in the rental shops the boots felt ok but after a couple of turns the boots were unbearable. I'm worried that I'll buy a custom boot that will feel amazing but then I'll have to keep brining it to the shop for modifications which is not ideal.

What are your thoughts please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you had problems with boots before?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adithorp wrote:

It's my only 2nd season skiing - knowing what I know now the boots I rented last time (Atomix Hawx Magna) weren't tight.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snew, in terms of boot fitters in that area Black sheep are great guys and know what they are doing

in terms of your feet.... with the greatest will in the world rental boots and retail boots are different, whilst they may have the same names on them for the most part are cheaper plastics and poor quality liners, boots too big is often a rental thing, as they don't want people changing their boots after they have set up skis on a weekend, so a bit big and when you go back on the 2nd or third day they don't mind adjusting skis as they are quiet, i am surprised to be honest that you got as many options to try as you did

as for a fitted boot, firstly a full assessment needs to be done, pressure plates and scanners are all very well but they cant see the little things and cant feel the tensions and the tolerance to compression that a good fitter can, if you are looking for an instant solution then i am afraid to say there isn't one, ski boots take a bit of time to bed in and can need alterations to accommodate your specific foot needs, if it fits you out the box with no work at all then you have been pretty lucky (don't knock it if it happens but not many feet come out of boxes)

spend time with the fitter early season, even before they have their stock in to work out what might work and what might need to be done, see if there is any work you need to do on your foot and ankle mobility or any other biomechanics issues that you need to address

its a process and for some people it is quicker than others
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CEM

Thanks for the reply. I'm worried about the logistics - I'm in Belgium, the shop is in Munich and the slopes are in yet another place. Is wearing the boot for a couple of hours (walking in it etc) a good enough analog for skiing so that I can go to Munich, get through the process of bootfitting and wear the boot for some time to eliminate the pressure points etc whilst still in Munich? I'd rather avoid buying the boot and testing on the mountain as it could be months before I have a chance to go again to Munich for adjustments.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snew, also consider that the problem may not be the boots, but the person. If you aren't sure about the boots and crank the clips up too tight because someone told you that your boots have to be close fitting, you'll have all sorts of painful experiences especially if you do the lower ones tighter than recommended. Have you been shown how to do up your boots? How much effort do you need to make to close each of the clips?

Also, if you really must have them fitted in Munich, consider this option for a day trip - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158851
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ousekjarr wrote:
@snew, also consider that the problem may not be the boots, but the person. If you aren't sure about the boots and crank the clips up too tight because someone told you that your boots have to be close fitting, you'll have all sorts of painful experiences especially if you do the lower ones tighter than recommended. Have you been shown how to do up your boots? How much effort do you need to make to close each of the clips?

Also, if you really must have them fitted in Munich, consider this option for a day trip - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158851

It's possible but I don't believe they were too tight, I don't overtighten the buckles - I follow this process: ankle, top one lightly, stand up push knee forward( walk the two top ones until tight), strap and two lower ones. I normally don't put much more pressure than what keeps the buckles tight. Unless there is a much better process and I've been doing it wrong I don't believe that was the issue.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Keep away from boot fitters and Hire shops, devils... Toofy Grin
Make sure you can take them back if they don't fit. Try wearing them in the house for a month, if they are at all painful take them. You will be surprised how many boot fitters will try not to take them back, despite being obliged to if they fitted them.
Decathlon change boots, no questions asked, even if you ski in them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snew, Have you considered snowboarding?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
theres no such thing as a comfortable ski boot, if it hurts a little bit your doing well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@compostcorner76, sorry, may be your experience but not mine, and I've been skiing 50 years, had present boots for 12 years.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
compostcorner76 wrote:
theres no such thing as a comfortable ski boot, if it hurts a little bit your doing well.

Absolute nonsense!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its Feb so bootfit nonsense is in volume !

Same thing every year .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
compostcorner76 wrote:
theres no such thing as a comfortable ski boot

All those I have experienced are a pain to take on or off. Or walk down stairs in.

But once I got my own, fitted properly to my own feet, there was no discomfort in use.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
compostcorner76 wrote:

Absolute nonsense!

Agree - it is entirely possible to have perfectly comfortable ski boots.

That said it is impossible to have comfortable race boots! My daughter sometimes wears her race boots when we are sticking to the piste, they get undone at the bottom of every run. And she would be the first to admit they are not designed for comfort!
ski holidays
@snew, ignore nevis1003, he scans this forum to make the same dumb comment on any boot thread - check his history. Also ignore compostcorner76 - I have boots (fitted by CEM as it happens) that are comfortable all day long.

Best thing is to find a good boot fitter (via recommendation) either fairly close to where you live or in a resort that you are skiing in. That way you can take them back for adjustment either after or during your trip.
snow conditions
Race boots should be tight to the point that you do indeed always want to release the buckles on lifts and at the bottom of the runs. But they should not cause pain as such when actually skiing, waking in them may be another story! They are designed to have an extremely snug fit for maximum feel and control.

There is no reason why any recreational skier, even at the highest level should have painful boots. That just reflects that you are wearing a boot that is the incorrect size for you or you have specific foot anatomy that needs to be mitigated for by a skilled boot fitter.
ski holidays
I realise that it's not the Snowheads way to stick to the topic, but can we please avoid turning this into a general discussion on boot fitting? The OP asked a question - if you have an answer, please provide it. If you want to dispute whether ski boots can be comfortable, please start a thread for that.
ski holidays
@snew, as I see it you have 2 choices.

1. Continue hiring boots and swapping everytime they don't fit right and are painful, until you find one that isn't. Then repeat that process everytime you go away skiing.

2. Go see a bootfitter. Preferably one that's got good reviews/recommendations and is easy for you to access repeatedly. Let them select and fit the best boot for your feet. Then take back for adjustments, if needed, until you have a perfect fit. Then just get on with skiing.
snow report
snew wrote:
@CEM

Thanks for the reply. I'm worried about the logistics - I'm in Belgium, the shop is in Munich and the slopes are in yet another place.

Have you considered buying on your next ski trip? Most resorts have decent fitters, and if you get them at the beginning of the trip you should be able to go back several times for adjustments if necessary. If you get an evening appointment, it doesn't have to take up lots of valuable skiing time.

Alternatively, take a 2-3 day trip to Munich, get your boots there, ski locally (perhaps Garmisch, as suggested above) and get adjustments as needed.

Fitters in resort will likely adjust boots bought elsewhere, but you'll pay for it whereas tweaks post-fit are often covered in the original fee.
snow report
@snew, would it be possible that you could get some boots, in Munich for example as you say, and ski over the summer at one of the indoor places in Belgium or the Netherlands a few times. That way you can bed them in, and if you have any troubles, get them sorted before a holiday.
ski holidays
@swskier, @adithorp,

I guess that what I'll do, I found another bootfitter in a more easier to get to place that resort bootfitters and more convenient place than Munich. He gives 2/3 years of free adjustments or new boots and there is a small slope nearby to try the boots straight away.

@AL9000,
I don't know if you were joking but at the end of the holidays I really was close to breaking and going with snowboard. Sad
ski holidays
snew wrote:
@swskier, @adithorp,

I guess that what I'll do, I found another bootfitter in a more easier to get to place that resort bootfitters and more convenient place than Munich. He gives 2/3 years of free adjustments or new boots and there is a small slope nearby to try the boots straight away.

Just be completely honest with them about your ability/experience and how they feel. Ignore all concerns about colour or brand (and cost as much as you can) and trust their judgement.

snew wrote:
@AL9000,
I don't know if you were joking but at the end of the holidays I really was close to breaking and going with snowboard. Sad

I usually assume @AL9000 is joking wink
latest report
snew wrote:

@AL9000,

THAT bad eh? Sorry to hear it Sad

(I was quasi-joking Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
@adithorp, A fine assumption Madeye-Smiley
snow report
snew wrote:
adithorp wrote:

It's my only 2nd season skiing - knowing what I know now the boots I rented last time (Atomix Hawx Magna) weren't tight.

These are the boots I use, they are very wide and very high, I am not surprised these were not tight! Especially if they are hire boots that are “well worn in”
ski holidays
Having had multiple issues with hire boots in my adult years, I bit the bullet and bought a set of my own, hands down, the best ski related purchase I’ve ever made!

I went to snow and rock which some may look down on, to be honest, it took 3 or 4 visits to get them perfect, which is irritating, but it has been well worth the time and money, I wouldn’t entertain the idea of hiring boots ever again. I am an extreme case, I have very wide feet with a high instep, so much so that the boot fitter laughed when I stood on the measuring thingy and I overheard him mutter “this isn’t going to be easy”. Just my experience but I would personally recommend someone you can go back to until they get it right!
latest report
Yes there is such a thing as comfy ski boots on an ideal foot! However if you've a flat foot then the foot is flatter than a normal foot. No amount of insoles will 100% solve the problem so the boot needs more secured over where the foot is flat & that is the second buckle up from the toe. No amount of cranking up the top two buckles will secure your foot in order to turn your ski with confidence. You say there is always movement in your boot so do try to tighten up the second buckle from toe AFTER you have comfortably secured the top two. You may also wish to check your hip flexors individually are not too tight thus causing more problems in boots. Hip flexors are easy to stretch & strengthen. Good luck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Correct boot buckle sequence is to put the boot on, gentle heel tap to the floor to get your heel into the heel cup. Do up the buckle nearest your toe but only finger tight, likewise for the next one up (these only really keep the snow out and you don’t want any pressure on the top of your foot). Move on to the top two buckles making sure the boot tongue is correctly seated before alternating between the buckles to get them reasonably tight - also bring the power strap into play and make sure that is tight as well.
I had issues with my previous 11 year boots. Two hours with a good boot fitter in La Plagne sorted me out. I had custom made footbeds put in which always help if you have high arches. New boots are supportive with no discomfort. I went back to the shop once to have the outer shell expanded ever so slightly on one side but other than that all good.
ski holidays
@Griggs, that's not the correct sequence!

https://www.solutions4feet.com/care---prepare/general-boot-care
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Griggs, that's not the correct sequence!

Yup, you shouldn't be touching the two clasps near the toe at all until the boot is fully done up!
latest report
Apologies - was typing whilst having lunch and was trying to remember what to do !

Back to the multi tasking lessons it is ...............
snow report
I was always told to do the Boots up as per S4F....but interestingly, when I had Boots fitted by the legendary JoJo in Tignes, he told me to do the bottom clips up first - to stop the flaps jamming.

Then, in this Harald Harb video, he demonstrates the same thing (@5:56 and 10.10). I don't know if this is wrong, or just different....though these two gentlemen are experienced enough to have their reasons:

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo&t=4s
latest report
AL9000 wrote:

+1
snow report
As the bottom two buckles are finger tight I don't think it matters a great deal. The key thing is that they are finger tight i.e., not very tight.
ski holidays
Yeah, the point is that if you need to have the two forefoot clasps tight to retain the boot on your foot and give the feeling of it fitting you, then the boot doesn't fit you! Those two forefoot clasps are to close the shell and not to retain your foot
snow report
Layne wrote:
As the bottom two buckles are finger tight I don't think it matters a great deal. The key thing is that they are finger tight i.e., not very tight.

That is my view.

Getting the heel into the back of the boot and tightening the lower of the leg buckles, is the key.
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

+1

There is no doubt that snowboard boots are far more comfortable than ski boots, it is the instrument of torture that they attach to that is the problem Laughing Laughing Laughing

Having said that, my various off the shelf ski boots that I skied in for 30+ years were always uncomfortable, particularly pressing on the inner ankle and that lump of bone in the top of the foot.

I bit the bullet about 6 yrs ago & bought some new boots from Ellis Brigham at Xscape Leeds, I explained my problems with wide, bony feet & extra padding was fixed in these areas by the 20 something boot fitter before I put my feet into the hot boots that had been in the oven for 30 min.
I had to go back to get the buckles moved to a tighter setting after two trips but otherwise they are comfortable fully done up all day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy