Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - snow reliability April 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon All
First post so apologies if Q has been asked before.

Serre Chevalier and snow reliability this year? Would you book for the second week in April right now?

I’ve looked at earlier posts (pre-covid) and it feels like it would be a half decent bet in previous years but this year looks like it could be a patchy affair given the lack of snow so far.

The situation is this, it’s my first time back on the slopes in 15 years
I was all booked for the same week as COVID in 2020 but it didn’t happen
As you can imagine I’m keen to have a good one
I’ve put a small deposit down on 2nd week in April but having serious second thoughts right now…… maybe write off the deposit and try for a late deal elsewhere with better / deeper base?
Maybe the long wait is making me sound daft though…..?
On the one hand it won’t take much to satisfy me after such a long break…… on the other hand feels like there’s potential for disappointment
FYI after so long all I’m bothered about is decent on piste ski-ing, not bothered about carving it up off piste or getting my Frank the Tank outfit on after the lifts have shut.

Hope this all comes across in the right way….. all advice welcome
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kmkyap, the French Alps hasn't had any snow since 25 Feb ish and there was a bit of a barren spell before that. Though the base was good and temps low so things were holding up well. That said, my understanding SC hadn't fared quite so well as other areas. And it's supposed to get warmer this week.

On the flip side second week of April is 4 weeks away and a good dump could change things quickly. Also snow making means there will be ribbons of snow below the snowline that means skiing many pistes will still be possible.

Were you particular wedded to SC? When do you have to pay for the rest of the holiday?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely not wedded. SC looked a good choice for that time of year given that my dates had to be late season, it's a resort with north facing slopes, I hadn't been before and the accommodation was in my budget and close to lift.
Another reason was that if the wheels really did fall off snow wise Montgenevre wasn't that far away, but it looks like my logic was flawed there... Blush

I need to settle up this week.....

My bro has advised that piste bashers and snow canons are a lot better than they used to be so don't lose all faith just yet.
In my head I figured that as time goes by it is less and less likely that snow will fall, but I've not been in a long time so what do I know Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's currently snowing in Serre Che, well I live 20 mins away and its been snowing on and off all day so I am guessing it similar. Puy Saint Vincent my local resort said earlier today 10cm at 200m and it is forecast to snow on and off all night so maybe 30 cm over all. There is more snow forecast next week but I wouldn't take that as 100% sure

The problem is this season has been one of the worst on records, with very long dry and warm spells. by all accounts the piste guys have done an amazing job with what they have had. I have been told that Montgenevre is still very good, not sure if you have transport etc to mix resorts up? I am guessing there will be snow and enough to ski and have a good time, there will probably be the odd dry patch. Will other areas be better yeh probably/maybe.

As Layne said when do you have to decide, I can't see even if we have the snow next week it will be amazing with lots of powder etc, but for piste skiing it could be good and you wouldn't loose your deposit. if we have no more snow then it should still be ok?

Sorry I know that maybe not the answer you wanted, but its just where it is at. Happy to provide more info if you have time to give it a little longer?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for responding @ecrinscollective, & @Layne,

I have to pay the balance next week
I won't have my own transport so my Montgenevre plan would mean using public transport

Snow today sounds good although the poor base so far is what's preying on mind to be honest and the main reason for my initial post.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If I hadn't skied for 15 years and just wanted to have some decent piste skiing to get myself back in the game I wouldn't be sweating it. Whatever happens, you will be skiing and everywhere will be quiet and uncrowded.

We are going to Les Menuires 9th April.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ask @weathercam he is based there and has a good handle on conditions (see the Serre Chevalier snow report thread)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This already gives some insight (Weathercam contributes)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159465
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all round for replies @Layne & @ecrinscollective, much appreciated
Have decided to drive down, if it's really that bad it gives me some flexibility.
A couple more Qs if you don't mind...

1. @ecrinscollective would you ski Serre or PSV if you had to choose for a day out today?

2. Any recommendations on places in Serre to hire skis would be welcome. This forum feels a bit more useful than Google....

Thanks again for the help & see you in April
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kmkyap, if I was going to choose between Serre Che and PSV I would choose Serre Che every time. Big area, lots of slopes facing different directions, some bits nice and high.

As to hiring skis, it would depend on which part/village you were entering at (not helpful I know). We've used Aoraki in Monetier for ski service, and an Intersport in the village and they have been ok. Aoraki is down at the Halte Pre Chabert by the bus stop/caisse.

EDIT: If your driving, you can always go and park at different entry points. We usually stay in Monetier, but if we dont fancy starting from there one day, we drive up to the Boulodrome parking above Villeneuve/Bez and pick up the Casse de Boeuf chair. Would probably avoid trying to park in Chantemerle as it always looks busier and we never have had bother at Villenueve or Monetier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

getting my Frank the Tank outfit on after the lifts have shut.

Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1st post! Hi Km, just back from 2 weeks in SC stayed in Chantmerle. Locals say least snow in 30 years, probably had 24-30” fresh snow (top mountain level) in the last week - brilliant for the boarders! Green run into town closed due to lack of snow, black run open but well mushed up as soon as the sun hits it. Lots of stones on various runs which we avoided as much as possible. In our group of 8, none of us noticed any snow making at all, though they claim to have 80%(?) coverage - aye cowdoo. Check out their website to see which runs are currently open - compare to other resorts. I personally wouldn’t be taking a freebie there mid April, anyways I’ll be working/golfing in Scotland (glorious sunshine this week but won’t last I’m sure). Save your pennies for an early dart next season.
Hope this helps -G
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy