Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

summer in Österreich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So word of caution on the whole "saalbach" thing for MTB.

we have just came back form a weeks skiing in saalbach and our hotel is the home of "Glemm Guides" during the summer, as we both ride MTB we got talking to the guys and they were showing us the trail maps...YES there is now a ton of singletrack and dedicated trails in the area BUT they are predominantly in either Leogang or Hinterglemm. Saalbach village / town itself has some but not loads and it is as described mostly double track.

if you are looking for easy (doorstep) access to lift assisted single track you should be looking at Hinterglemm or Leogang. Staying in Saalbach will require a couple of lifts / bit of a pedal to reach the goods.

That being said our hotel "hotel Astrid" is a bikers paradise, full bike store / spanner room, bike wash, outdoor pool and in house guides.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach is excellent. I’ve MTB’d in Schladming, Wagrain, Saalbach and Leogang - out of all of them I much preferred Saalbach.

@enduroaid, I know what you mean about it looking like most of the runs are in Hinterglemm, but you access the Hacklberg from Saalbach and from there you can get to the other Hinterglemm runs easily. There’s more family stuff to do in Saalbach too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ecureuil wrote:
What areas would people recommend for just pleasant mountain walking? Ideally not constantly interrupted by bikes!

We've been to a few places in the summer and our favourite was Seefeld. The town itself is well set up for tourism, with a swimming pool, a bathing lake, a train to Innsbruck for the day and so on. High level walking is a bit sparse but the easy walks in the forest areas to the west, and in the next valley (Leutasch) are lovely. Nearby Mittenwald, just inside Germany has a cable car up to the Karnwendel and there's a funicular at Seefeld that takes you up to some routes in the higher areas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ecureuil wrote:
What areas would people recommend for just pleasant mountain walking? Ideally not constantly interrupted by bikes!

I appreciate I may be biased, but there are umpteen options for quiet mountain walking in the Salzkammergut plus numerous accommodation options that don’t need to break the bank.

Re hiking, a few options where you can avoid bikes:

Zwolferhorn, St Gilgen: lift or hiking access - moderate to hard if hiking to the summit, depending on which side one tackles.

Schafberg, St Wolfgang: train or hiking access - moderate hiking if walking up. Some really iconic views of seven lakes from the top. Can be busy in peak season.

Gosausee, Gosau: the Gosaukammbahn provides Summer access to the Dachstein West (Winter ski area) - mostly purely hiking (there are some MTB trails) but easy to avoid. Typically quiet, alpine meadow hiking with some fabulous huttes for refreshment stops. Moderate hiking.

Postalm, Strobl: easy to moderate hiking. Drive up via switchback roads, park, and then take any one of a number of routes. Very natural, unspoilt.

Koloratshohe, Perneck: moderate hiking. Very quiet, impressive views. Mixture of forest and alpine meadow hiking. Very traditional Hutte - Hoisnrad…typical Austrian hospitality.

Katrin berg, Bad Ischl: moderate to hard hiking. 2.5 hr hike to summit (or take seilbahn), choice of hiking routes taking in 5 lake views (moderate hiking).

Zimnitz, Bad Ischl/Pfandl: hard hiking - full round trip is seven hours. Awesome views.

That really doesn’t do anything more than scratch a very large surface. Apologies for missing your post/question a few weeks ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

This is a fair question. Even several years ago in Les Saisies, walking on footpaths was quite likely to be rudely interrupted by hurtling bikers - and the MTB scene has grown a lot since then. Same applies in the UK, of course - one can feel positively beleaguered on the South Downs Way.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've ridden schladming a fair bit in last 10 years. Gone from pretty much just a pro-line to a whole bunch of more tame flow lines and natural stuff on Planai mountain. There's also a dedicated kids section, also some more lift served trails on nearby Reiteralm. Loads of marked and unmarked xc trails too. Not as busy or extensive as Saalbach but still a great spot to consider and I've tested the local hospital several times, very good, as was the heli rescue my fellow snowhead needed a few summers ago. https://www.schladming-dachstein.at/en/summer/biking/bikepark-schladming
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy