Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New kit advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday I treated myself to my first new board.
I've been running my ex hire 2009 burton custom traditional camber board since well 2009. The kids are now getting into skiing and this year we are lucky enough to get 2 trips in. We go to les deux alpes on 9 April.
So I bought a new Salomon Assassin board yesterday. It's a rock out camber profile with a bit more flex and slightly longer 159 vs 156 over the custom. So hoping that it will ride significantly different.
The 2009 Custom is an old school stiff board that takes no prisoners.
Anyone else have experience on a similar upgrade?

Also my bindings and boots, burton cartel and burton ruler are the same vintage 2009. I was planning on just using the same bindings and boots but now wondering if I would notice a massive difference by buying new. What are people's thoughts?
Might wait until I'm in resort and see if there are any end of season sales in les 2 alpes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The boots will have most likely taken on the performance characteristics of comfy carpet slippers by now so something new will probably be a good idea.
The bindings... well if they've been well maintained they are probably functionally OK, but the materials and design used have come on since then so they can be stronger and lighter, plus new and shiny!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your convincing me that I need new stuff. Will take a look in the shops whilst there
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would wait and see how the new board feels with the old boots and bindings.
You might find that a more forgiving board is the only change you need.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice. It's easy to get carried away. I'll give it a day or 2 on my old boots and bindings and see how it goes. We are driving down from the UK so will be taking my old board as well. Weight is no issue.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm still using boots as old as yours and I really don't want to change them. Super comfortable carpet slippers!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm using older boots than you. They are well comfy, but I don't think they're as still as they were. The Plastic 'leatherette' type material is starting to come apart by the back of the toe box (probably flex transferred down the rigid tongue to the top of the foot flexing the boot sides?), the outer plastic is peeling off to reveal some kind of fluffy nylon thread material. I 'waterproofed' them with TigerSeal for this year. We'll see how long it lasts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Generally ya don't want to be changing multiple things at once if you can help it for obvious reasons.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just buy red ones wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boarderfarce, …Richardsideways will well know that if you are feeling the pinch then very high quality almost new stuff can be obtained at a fraction of their original cost from families like us, with growing youngsters…I sold some almost new Burton IONs - the top leather ones - for 50gbp ish, Rome bindings about the same…. And if you know your sizes well, then it’s really simple….

And we had an excellent ‘kit comparison’ day in CM - not a demo day but I went out with Luca and the seven friends who were staying with him for a week. They were mixed board/downhill/tour athletes but did an ‘everyone on a board’ day - with any boards which could be found, from the latest park boards to top Scott boards of the 2000s - stiff and very very fast - all with much discussion of the different characteristics of the kit, much hilarity at the debutantes, and much ‘got away with that one’ trickery….
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had some burton bindings that snapped half way down a mountain after about 10 years of occasional use. Deteriorated plastic apparently.

Local ski shop v amused at my 1998 burton fl project - “ iz back to ze future!!”

Treat yourself to new bindings too, I was lucky no injuries just a long hike!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy