Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heathrow wait times.

Poster: A snowHead
I’m sure I saw a thread on this but can’t find it.

Due to fly from T5 on Sunday, early flight to Turin, how have people been finding the queues to get through check in and security? Is 3 hours necessary?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LDP816, I checked in at around 0415 on Sun 27 Feb. Had to wait until 0445 for the oversize baggage belt to open.
Went through security in less than 10 mins.
Not sure if that Sunday was affected by the chaos of the big cancellation day the previous day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T2 on Saturday just gone was a breeze. Through bag drop and security in about 30 mins total.
We didn’t have any skis though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T5 last sat early big queue for oversize luggage
3 hours would be a better bet to keep stress levels low
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T5 last Sunday , 6.55am flight
Went through in minutes

We waited longer for the weatherspoons
Breakfast to turn up
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An option to speed up the process is to use BA Airptr service and have them collect your hold luggage from home and next time you see them is at the luggage carousel at the destination airport. Costs £33 for two bags from London for flights departing LHR. Takes away all the faff and allows you to travel as a hand luggage passenger bypassing the airport check-in counter. This is especially good on a busy day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wasley wrote:
T5 last Sunday , 6.55am flight
Went through in minutes

We waited longer for the weatherspoons
Breakfast to turn up

Can you not order on the spoons app from the security queue? may need to take a gamble on the table number Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spoons wasn't open when we got through security the other weekend, only opened at 0530.
Plenty of people were trying to get their orders ready on the app for table numbers they could see from outside.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LDP816, also, if you are there the evening before you can check in your bag in advance.

This next part is speculation but some peoes skibag didn't arrive and was shipped.out the next day so perhaps checking in the bag the evening before could be beneficial.

Aside from that make sure you have essentials in a carry on bag. Eg if you can put your ur.boots in there.

As a carry on bag I use this.

In the bag is boots , helmet, gloves, socks, base layers and ski trousers. Plus the odd t-shirt so if they loose the bag you can at least get by with essential clothes and have enough gear to ski in with rental skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LDP816, regarding queues at check-in and security, there are two security sections. I find the one on the right hand side near the 1st class desk to be quiet and in security, if there is no queue at the incoming security (from transit pax) then they open that up to others at the domestic security.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, spot on. That's what I do. Skiing essentials in hand luggage. I've had one holiday screwed by assuming my main bag will make it to my destination Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlasgowCyclops,

Thanks for this, I’ve always done the same, being without kit would really annoy me but really, hiring skis would be fine, but I couldn’t do with hire boots and no ski clothing!!

Thanks for the replies all, looking like I will get there three hours early to save the stress!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any recent experience of Heathrow T5?
I have 06:45 Turin flight tomorrow - I have checked in already, others in the group need to check in at the terminal - we only have standard sized bags.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ray Zorro, checked in on the 12th for 13.20 flight to Venice. Online check in so bag drop off only - long queues for the (new to me) "untouched by human hand" drop off *. (for both Club and Cattle). Your flight is pretty early so experience may differ, but who knows?
Main problem was return on the 19th - waited about 90 minutes after landing for bags to arrive.

* expert tip - don't put a foot on the conveyor when attaching your label Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ray Zorro, Earlier in the season there were dedicated Verifly lanes which gave priority. They have to load all data into the app beforehand.
snow report
My experience outbound on Sunday, 13 March for 1500 flight to Oslo was similar to Yoda's. Checked-in online, but bag drop-off took a while. No real queues at security. On return on Sunday 20 March, similar experience to Yoda too. Quickly through passport control, only to wait for about an hour for the bags
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:
T2 on Saturday just gone was a breeze. Through bag drop and security in about 30 mins total.

What time was that?
snow conditions
@NickyJ, Have you a time machine? Very Happy
snow report
ster wrote:
@NickyJ, Have you a time machine? Very Happy

Was after was it an early morning one later in day....late night
snow report
T2 last week on Thursday was quick for me mid afternoon, no queuing.

Coming back Wednesday morning about an hour from landing to getting bags, the queue for e gate passport was a bit of a snake but moved continuously.

Spent a while getting to car, bus to purple parking car park, then misplacing car keys several times whilst trying to find sun glasses and drive off
latest report
Very pleased to find this thread. We're on the BA 8.30 to Lyon tomorrow morning from T5. Usually use Easyjet but got BA vouchers as a present. Not impressed by them to be honest-tried to check online this morning, and it wouldn't let me (despite emailing me requesting I do so) so I presume we can do this in person at the airport tomorrow? Their so-called helpline hung up on me. Back to EZY for us in future.
snow report
@snowhound, yes you can check-in in person. Use the self check-in machines if you can, the queues for a desk can be long.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
... Not impressed by them to be honest-... Back to EZY for us in future.

I wasn't impressed either.
BA wanting uploads of PLF's and Covid certificates was an unnecessary faff. Took me hours to coordinate the info for the group I'd booked.
None of that required with EZY
latest report
@Ray Zorro, @snowhound, though presume their queues very better than Easyjet? Coming back from Geneva at half term queue were very long and slow because they were checking PLFs at the bag drop.
snow conditions
@snowhound, you entered all your advanced passenger information? I recall not being able to check in until I'd done that.
ski holidays
@dobby, Yep, did that last night. Looks like we'll be using the automated kiosks tomorrow.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

What time was that?

430am
ski holidays
@Ray Zorro, Their online just seems to bl@@dy complicated compared to Easyjet. Maybe it's just what I am used to and the fact you can only do online check in 24 hours before seems unnecessary.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
snowhound wrote:
... Not impressed by them to be honest-... Back to EZY for us in future.

I wasn't impressed either.
BA wanting uploads of PLF's and Covid certificates was an unnecessary faff. Took me hours to coordinate the info for the group I'd booked.
None of that required with EZY

In theory the BA process should lead to less queuing at the airport, as anyone with a boarding pass has already had their documents checked so there's no need for someone to check them at the airport (if you've sorted it out online) or at the gate.

I've been checked in and through security at T5 within 10-15 minutes most of the times I've flown the past year. However one time I booked a flight last minute and I was too late to upload my documents so I had a 45 minute queue to get my documents seen at check-in.

Generally if I've got a boarding pass I arrive at the airport around 90 minutes before the flight, which allows time for some food/drink!
snow report
When we flew out check in and security was surprisingly good.

Coming back from Innsbruck we ended up sat on tarmac for 45 minutes after landing and had to wait over 1hr 15 for bags to appear in the baggage hall - takes the p*ss
latest report
Has anyone got any information about the length of T5 arrival queues for immigration control for non UK nationals? Mrs. A is a Japanese national with settled status, but always has to crawl through a huge line of non-UK passengers being given the third degree by border control staff whenever we terminate at LHR. Has Covid changed this by using more automated systems? (e.g. for both of us, going through immigration control in Canada (YVR) was a breeze, thanks to the automated systems in place).
snow conditions
@Acacia, Mrs A can use the e gates because she is a Japanese national as long as she has a biometric passport.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coming-to-the-uk/faster-travel-through-the-uk-border
snow report
An update on this. We flew from T5 on a Sunday earlier this month, 7:55 flight to Turin, business class which is a no brainier for the modest extra cost.

Zero, and I mean zero issues at the airport. We were through bag drop and security in 15 minutes, a few hours in the lounge and some bloody Mary’s later we arrived in Turin on time and with all our luggage (including Skis). Online app was fine but a bit of a faff, adding PLF’s and Vaccine certificates, got there in the end. I think the key was the earlyish flights, from what I gather the chaos comes later in the day!
snow report
So our problem was that the travel agency we had used had not registered our tickets with BA. took half an hour to sort at T5 by the BA rep. Glad we have it plenty of time. Not using agencies again, I thought the point of paying for them was that they sorted the admin for you! Then just half an hour to check in bags and go through security. This was at 6 am this morning.
snow report
Arrived at T5 at 9.00 Saturday for a 11.50 flight. Was absolute chaos. Despite exec club membership and already checked in and verifly certified .
I asked a BA person which was the best queue and she couldn’t tell, pointing to one and saying she had no idea where it started. Queues did move and ours took just over an hour to get to the front. Arrive early!
ski holidays
I was checked in and through immigration in 15 mins both times I flew out this month - departures were 14.10 hrs on a Tues and 08.25 hrs on a Fri. Seems to me a lot of flights are leaving late lately whether it be baggage issues, cleaning issues, cabin not ‘dressed’…….
snow conditions
Came through T3 on Friday afternoon. Wheels on ground to inside taxi in 45 mins including awaiting baggage.
ski holidays
BA's VeriFly App is refusing to accept my 14 yr old son's NHS Covid Cert which has 1 vax + recovery, even though he is travelling with Adults all of whom are vaccinated.
Seems to mean that we have to queue up to check in on Friday morning which is a pain!
latest report
@DJL, does T3 have the unspeakably vulgar "Welcome to GREAT Britain" illuminated sign in passport control or is that just T5?
snow conditions
@closey1973, where are you flying? For Swiss destinations you can usually just click straight through the vaccination bit even though it seems to require it at first.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy