Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mtn Ski Choice ~90mm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
danbre2022 wrote:

I had a long shortlist, but actual availability cuts it down to:

Fischer Ranger Ti 92 in 178
Salomon QST 92/177 (hard to find, actually)
Armada Declivity 92/180 (would have to buy from England including customs hassle, but hey)

Does any of you know the Ranger 92? Is it very demanding?

I am hestistant to pay to try an Enforcer 88 for weight/stiffness reasons.

Been a while since I've skied them, but the (old, pre-22) Rangers were generally a bit more demanding/carve-y than the Enforcers, which were maybe just a touch stiffer than the Blizzard Rustlers. New Ranger (from 2022) is a bit more new school and surfy.

In that 90-something bracket hard to look past the Enforcer, Rustler and Ranger though... I might lean towards the Rustler (I reckon the Enforcer is best in the 100mm flavour) but I haven't actually skied the new Ranger yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from skiing my QST 92's, bought 2 years ago, skied on them for the first time this year due to Covid cancellations.

Compared to the the Brahma 88's I rented last time they are significantly lighter and more forgiving on shorter turns.

A bit of chatter at higher speeds on piste which I don't remember getting with the Brahmas.

Great in the slush though, easy to smear about, benefitted greatly from a service even though I hadn't skied on them before so maybe the wax on from the factory goes off in storage....?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ol_smokey wrote:

Great in the slush though, easy to smear about, benefitted greatly from a service even though I hadn't skied on them before so maybe the wax on from the factory goes off in storage....?

The chap who services my skis rekons the stuff applied in the factory is just there to stop the bases drying out, and that a new set of skis should have the factory stuff removed, and proper wax applied along with a light edge tune. This goes along with exactly what you’ve said, I’ve never tested it as I’ve never taken skis about the box and put them on the snow, so wasn’t 100% sure this was true.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there,

Update, I have now spent some four days on the new skis. It's a Serpo!

Ripstick 88s from some web shop were not in stock it turned out. Some cheap Declivity88c were nice looking but stupid stiff despite armada's claims "4-7-4": utter cowdoo!
I then contemplated ordering 2023 ripsticks through Jennewein when I lost all patience and recalled Jennewein in Stanton are a Black Crows dealer. Looked up BC website, found a new 93mm Ski called Serpo billed as a piste ski/some offpiste, briefly checked reviews. Called Jennewein, they had a pair of 180s, jumped im the car and less than 2 hrs later I left the shop with the Skis &my Bindings mounted.

1st day in snow a little so-so, somehow found no balance. Identified some delta in the wardens, shimmed 2.5mms and here you go. These skis are so nice, the rush and grin from a first to last lift day last week lasted a good 2 days. Almost effortless skiing joy, feeling like having round and highly varible radius turn flowing from you boots. Very sensitive to detailed foot steering, good stability at speed, nocely damp w/o feeling dead and all the edge hold I'll ever need, despite being relatively soft longitudinally. High angle turns just happen naturally, still low speed pivoted turns are a breeze. Great in bumpy snow and in steeps. Like a crossover of a playful freeride ski and a carver. Which it actually is. I barely skid a turn on these, as it is just not necessary, ever, almost. Can ski 7hrs non stop without sore legs. I couldn't think of a better ski to fill the quiver gap between my AT and the QST106 freerider. Actually, the serpo is going to steal many many days from these. When i hit a closed, ungroomed east facing(corn) steep black yesterday I even thought like, this would make a great steep spring touring tool with marker alpinists. Have not had as much fun on groomers in ages. Honestly, I love this ski, period. Highly recommended.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm glad you had a satisfactory outcome in the end.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DanishRider wrote:
Stöckli Laser AX - Not quite as wide as you are looking for, but just as versatile as my Brahma 88, and a lot more fun on-piste. Rent it for a day, and try it out!

+1, and if that’s not quite wide enough, try the Stöckli Stormrider 88, which is an amazing 'do it all' ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, I live in Andorra. I don’t suppose you know where stocks or where I might be able to try Altums or Ronde? The distributor for the Andorra on the White Dot doesn’t seem to be operating.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite wrote:
@spyderjon, I live in Andorra. I don’t suppose you know where stocks or where I might be able to try Altums or Ronde? The distributor for the Andorra on the White Dot doesn’t seem to be operating.

AFAIK there isn't a Whitedot dealer in Andorra but I'll get midgetbiker to confirm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks. Anywhere in the Pyrenees might be possible too. Worst case I get them back on the U.K. and drive back with them at some point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hammerite, Afraid the distributor in Andorra (which in all honesty was a shop) isn't operating anymore. We also used to have a Spanish distributor who operated out of the Pyrenees, but again, the effects of Covid on the industry means they no longer represent. So at the moment at least I think your best bet is to do as you suggest and buy in UK and drive out, or ask @spyderjon for a VAT free price to have them shipped to Andorra (must admit though, last time I shipped a pair out there to a customer it seemed to take weeks for some reason).

PM myself or @spyderjon if you need any more help.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@midgetbiker, thanks. Yeah delivery here takes a long time. There is a local delivery company who are relatively quick, but this is because they claim the vat saving themselves. I’m in no rush, they probably won’t get used until next season now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick update on the Serpo, for the record.

It skis exponentially longer in 3D snow, particularly in heavy "spring pow" and such. Bit of work turning here. The more tracked (read: less sinking), the better.

So from my point of view, one ski quiver? don't think so, unless the skier skis in a dry climate.

It may look like a freeride ski, but it really is what Black Crows say, a piste ski +"some offpiste". Groomers of all sorts, tracked snow, steep chalk, steep corn, moguls, all fine.

Basically, the Serpo comes into play after a snowfall once the sidecountry is all tracked. Would make an awesome choice for a Verbier week in a dry spell!

Serpo+Atris would make a great combo within the BC lineup.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
danbre2022 wrote:
looks good, albeit expensive....

Would a Rustler 9 work?

I’m on these and I love them. They do everything well but of course nothing exceptionally.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have recommended Rustler 9s as a quiver of 1 to a friend and he is perfectly happy. A friendly, stable and somewhat playful ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So @spyderjon, kindly recommended Whitedot Altum 94 or Ronde 96 to me earlier in the thread. I’ve not bought any yet, but I was given a reasonable sized voucher this week for one of the local sport shops. They also have a reasonable reduction on skis/bindings at the moment. So any recommendations similar to the Altums?

If I go into town at some point I’ll get a photo of what they have. I know they have a reasonable Black Crow range.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy