Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR Flachau 5th to 12th March

Poster: A snowHead
Never done this type of report so learning as i go. Feel free to fire questions if needs be, i will incorporate costs to allow people to make their own decisions regarding value. Currently in Flachau and often organise my own trips so will hopefully give some idea of the ease, value and convenience as i see it.......

Resort choice
2 friends, gents of a certain age. I have skied twice already this season, friend last skied in 2018 and cancelled trips in 19 and 20 due to injury. A fairly nervous skier so I chose Flachau because of it's reputation for not hugely challenging cruising over a decent sized area. Trip was planned about 3 weeks in advance so Austria seemed perfect for fallen and predicted snow. Also a resort I wouldn't really have ever considered without the information found on this site.

Travel
Jet 2 flights SZG out of Bham, £210 inc bags, all fairly seamless, as it was when i used the same flight Jan 29th this year. I had skis that time but still out of baggage reclaim and sorted by 1300 after a 1220 ish landing. For transfers used the shared Neu Touristik option offered by the www.flachau.com website. 50 euros return, booked via the link. Driver waiting with a sign just outside arrivals but waiting for the other customers (6 people in total) meant we left SZG about 45 minutes after meeting the driver. Couldnt complain as the transfer company say with shared option you could wait 30 to 90 minutes. Driver then helped by doing a passable impression of Lewis Hamilton on the 45 min journey time to the door of our hotel.

Accommodation
Twin room at Hotel Unterberghof @1088 euros HB (between us) and near to the Achterjet. Lovely place, v near slopes, excellent and plentiful food, brilliant staff. Reasonably priced drinks. Very imprressed. Booked a cellar room through the accom page on the flachau website and more than happy with it. Much cheaper than the balcony rooms upstairs but i am more than happy with the cheaper price.......spacious, decent storage and next to the ski room and wellness facilities so perfectly located

Daily updates to follow.......

Sunday
A day for my friend to get his ski legs back after so long away so spent it working our way around the runs from the top of Flachau. Up and down into Flachau by the various runs, down into Wagrain a few times, including noting the location of Klubhotel Widmoos as good on the way down to Flying Mozart. Its a hotel operated by Danski and they offer decent prices for half board and bed. They also now operate the ex Inghams Hotel Pinzgauerhof in Hinterglemm. Then onto the G link (*actually Panorama link) across to Flachauwinkl (pronounced Flashyourwinkle with a snigger by someone explaining it to a group as I skied past them the following day). Few runs down towards Kleinarl before heading back over the link for a few laps into Flachau. Simple toastie with fries lunch (9.50 euros I think with reasonable prices for hot chocolate schiwasser and a beer on top) outside at Alm Stuberl above Kleinarl. Beer at the terrace next to Achterjet to finish. Busy but surprisingly quiet, then back for dinner at the hotel.
Lifts and slopes fairly busy but in my opinion the slopes were in lovely condition and because they are wide/several runs to most destinations they stayed skiable through the day and there shoukd be plenty of space for everyone to find their own line. Only a couple of thinner sections on the odd run felt sketchy. We both really enjoyed the skiing.

Monday, will try to shorten it!
Same start then across on the panorama link (*actually g link) to ski round Alpendorf and finally back to the same bar at Achterjet. Lovely day, cool with a few flakes of snow in the air and slopes excellent again. Felt a touch quieter than Flachau. Gulaschsuppe (6e50) for lunch at Grafenbergalm, very nice. Heard our first English voices this side, including a guy seemingly guiding a snowboarder in yellow trousers around. Very knowledgeable about the area, made me think it might be one of the resdient Snowhead locals......
Popped out later to see what was going on in town but only got as far as Emas Pub for one drink before heading back. Fairly quiet in there and not many people about at all.
Again really enjoyed the day

Tuesday. Zauchansee
Decided to head across and its an easy journey, even for a fairly hesitant blue run skier. Up from Flachau, couple of runs to warm up then onto the g link (*panorama link!) to Kleinarl. From there an easy non stop ski all the way down to the valley at Flachauwinkl. Waited about 4 minutes for the shuttle bus which loops the short distance to the gondola station and access to Zauchansee. The gondola building is massive and inside reminded of the food court at the Merry Hill Centre, minus the ski hire shop! Dropped over into the Zauchansee bowl and it definitely suits a mixed group. Pretty much all runs lead back to the same area so we split up for a couple of hours to pick our own runs, knowing we couldn't really get lost. Blue skies and wide pistes, we both loved it. I didn't quite come down the world cup piste with the speed and grace of Lara Gut earlier in the season but it is a glorious (if the most cut up I found) run.
Met back up for lunch at the busy and scenic Gamskogelhutte. Pulled pork burger (12.90) was huge and tasty but too much, too late for me and it didn't sit well. Looked at the route back to Flachau and decided it looked like too much up lift with too little skiing from Flachauwinkl and then back across the link so stayed in Zauchansee a little longer. We planned to make our last run from the top of Zauchansee into Flachauwinkl and then find the bus back to Flachau or get a taxi. Luckily the bus to Flachau was at the stop across from the entrance so we dived on and took the shirt journey back to the bottom of our road. I navigated by googling the stops as they were listed on the bus screen and spotting the one closest to us. In fairness I probably could have worked out that Unterbergstrasse was the stop closest to our hotel! It worked out well to stay skiing longer, but note to self.....should have taken a picture of the bus timetable when I checked it earlier in the day for future reference. As in everywhere so far a lot of families and groups of youngsters skiing around Zauchansee, decent and mainly forgiving pistes. Bars at the bottom of the pistes were full but not bulging and fairly sedate with only background music really.A tiring but excellent day again, followed once more by a drink in the hotel bar and dinner. Rock and roll!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-03-22 21:25; edited 7 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Daily updates to follow.......

Looking forward to hearing all about it, @toyah807. We love trip reports!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@toyah807, Are you going to watch the World Cup race tomorrow night?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@toyah807, I am following. Am interested to see which areas you ski (if any others at all) and how much travelling between and how easy that is
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, yes, we invested in grandstand tickets as we might not get the chance to see Dave Ryding win in person again......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@toyah807, great stuff, going well for you and Derek Smile
Enjoy the race and looks like bluebird days for the rest of your trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, thanks, think I took him too far yesterday (Zauchansee) so he plans to have an easy day of lapping Achterjet. I am heading out with no plan other than a slightly early finish ready for the night slalom and maybe planning a taxi for Schladming tomorrow. Blue Rossignol jacket and red Atomic skis if anyone is about and spots me. Yes, weather and forecast glorious.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wednesday
A day spent local, though I did discover the red run down to the Rote 8er gondola. Excellent. Blue sky weather again but for the first time this week it felt warm enough to start properly softening the lower pistes and you could see the melting around the base stations. Still more than skiable all the way down to village and excellent higher up. First disappointing lunch (Muntzen burger) at Berggasthof Muntzen
Really enjoyed the night slalom, well worth the investment. Packed, noisy, well organised, brilliant racing and loved the buzz especially when an Austrian raced. We spent the second run at the top of the grandstand with the large and raucous (and wearing personalised green jackets) Marco Schwarz fan club, so when he took the lead I was thankful there was no roof on the grandstand! A couple of racers then failed to displace him and I suddenly began to worry for my own safety if Dave Ryding were to take the lead off him with me screaming encouragement in their ears ......sadly we never got to find out
The picture is between runs, it got fuller

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@toyah807, glad you enjoyed it.

Munden...ah yes not very good, won't go back
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
toyah807 wrote:
Wednesday
A day spent local, though I did discover the red run down to the Rote 8er gondola. Excellent. Blue sky weather again but for the first time this week it felt warm enough to start properly softening the lower pistes and you could see the melting around the base stations. Still more than skiable all the way down to village and excellent higher up. First disappointing lunch (Munzen burger) at Berggasthof Munzen
Really enjoyed the night slalom, well worth the investment. Packed, noisy, well organised, brilliant racing and loved the buzz especially when an Austrian raced. We spent the second run at the top of the grandstand with the large and raucous (and wearing personalised green jackets) Marco Schwarz fan club, so when he took the lead I was thankful there was no roof on the grandstand! A couple of racers then failed to displace him and I suddenly began to worry for my own safety if Dave Ryding were to take the lead off him with me screaming encouragement in their ears ......sadly we never got to find out
The picture is between runs, it got fuller

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@toyah807, Didn't spot you, but it was a good night out! One correction to your otherwise excellent TR. It is the G-Link that links Flachau/Wagrain to Alpendorf and the Panoramabahn that gets you to Kleinarl/Flachauwinkel.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, doh! Thanks for the correction, I did think before typing and clearly should have looked on the map. Apologies in advance to anyone only part reading the thread and ending up on the wrong mountain! Thanks too to you and @holidayloverxx, I certainly wouldn't be here this week without reading your posts over the years and we are both loving the skiing. If you are out and about today I am hard to miss in a full on orange Protest outfit. Well, technically its Cinammon apparently
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@toyah807, will keep a look out. We are around the Rote 8
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

@RedandWhiteFlachau, if only the resort had thought of a way to easily tell which one of the two link lifts you were on......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve enjoyed reading this as had a great trip to Flachau a few years ago. Interesting that they have now lift linked it to Flauchwinkl but the sound of it? Must make even even better still.
The Musistadle further up town is a great night out as well ( or was before you know what)!
ski holidays
Not much to report on thursday. A distinctly spring like day meant we stayed locally but split up so my friend could loop Achterjet to practice his turns. I zipped around Rote 8er, G link and nearby in the sunshine, wherever the mood took me. It was distinctly drink-on-a-sunny-terrace weather but our day was cut short by my friend being wiped out for the 4th (!) time this week, so instead an early bath and a walk to the pharmacy for me. Not sure if my friend is unlucky as I haven't seen many similar collisions as i travel about, but he is certainly travelling at slow speed so should be easy to avoid. Sadly it seems I will be out alone tomorrow.
Our hotel and bar seem busier tonight so quite a pleasant evening to be fair, especially with all the drinks being free. It is a brilliant hotel policy that all you need to do to get drinks all night is sign something at breakfast the following morning.....

This gives me an opportunity to make some general observations:
1. I am clearly fitter than the world cup slalom athletes and as such available for advice if required. I did at least ten runs this morning and was nowhere near as out of breath as the racers were at the finish last night and they only did two!
2. I have been on numerous lifts and gondolas over the years but never felt motion sickness.....until the Flying Mozart lift here. Maybe coincidence but feel distinctly wonky on it every time. Is getting travel sick on lifts a thing?
3. Thinking about this as I tootled around, I need a label for my ski turn style. Probably a poor mixture of parallel, slide, jump, skid and carve turns but I do turn so really they deserve a name. The Asymmetric Sklarve Jump Turn seems a bit of a mouthful but maybe I should patent it? Sure I have read something about a trademark expert on snowheads this year!

Lunch, Gulaschsuppe @6.50, and coffee earlier both taken at the self service Birkhahnalm at the top of Achterjet. Tasty and cheap, not sure what I can add.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-03-22 22:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@EdYarker, yes they have. Not sure when but now a lift across to it. Easily accessed from Flachau or Wagrain and a short, scenic gondola trip between the two.
That reminds me, although I don't like to suggest going off piste. I noticed people walking up a small track off the run to the left of topliner lift and up to a higher viewpoint with a cross on it. It seems the highest point over to your left as you approach the top of Flachau and was well worth the excursion and short walk up there for a photo
snow conditions
@toyah807, You're the third person this season to have mentioned motion sickness on the FM gondola. So yes, it probably is a thing but only if you're weak of body and mind. Very Happy The Birkhahnalm is my Ski School coffee and lunch stop with a decent discount for us Ski Lehrer. I'm working tomorrow so may spot you if you're there. I would suggest a slight amendment to your turn patent for marketing purposes. Perhaps Asymmetric Rotating Sklarve Executed Turn or A R S E-T for short. You're welcome.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Laughing ok, will try to spot you, but won't be wearing cinammon tomorrow, I will be Amy Winehouse. Back to blue
snow report
@toyah807, back to black surely?
Your friend sounds unlucky but flachau has a rep for people being taken out. Its the only place round here that it's happened to me. I just managed to get out of the way of a boarder who lost an edge above me yesterday.

@EdYarker, musistadl still going strong if a little muted at the moment

The panoramabahn is brilliant. We decided to pop over Flachauwinkl for lunch at the winklalm because we could. The gondola only takes about 10 mins whereas before we had to plan a bus ride there and back
latest report
A fairly flat end to the skiing week. My friend decided not to ski after his spill yesterday and I left the hotel in distinct warmth and a lift queue out of the doors onto the piste. Felt a bit like I was killing time until I met him for lunch. Coffee and lunch at restaurants I had already visited. Popped over to Kleinarl thinking it might be quieter and firmer but it wasnt really so came back to St Johann and then messed around Flachau side until a final run down around 1530.
Returned skis in about the same time it took us to collect them, a couple of minutes and very efficient service. Paid about 210 euros for one top, one middle level skis including insurance through Skiset (sorry @Admin) at Hotel Montanara opposite Achterjet. Happy with my Redster S9's but not sure I could tell the difference.
Hotel felt a bit like an end of week party in the bar so a really good night. The staff had to point a couple of drunks in the right direction.....one had walked into the wrong hotel and the other was actually in the wrong resort. He needed a taxi, the other just a nudge! Bar staff have been fantastic throughout, though a shock to find the drinks weren't free after all and payment in cash was required! So our bar bill was actually Exclamation Exclamation euros (this figure has been redacted in case my wife reads the thread). In fairness all drinks other than the 4.80 for a bottle of water were excellent value.
Main other mishap was losing my room key, only to find it had been handed into reception by some kind soul. In the morning our shared transfer is picking us up 2hr 50 before our flight so that could be entertaining!

Summary?
An enjoyable week
Would I come again? Yes
Will I? Probably at some point but I am not leaving desperately pencilling in my next visit. If I did return it would be in january. I am lucky to be able to get away skiing and if that continues there are plenty of places on my list to visit or return to, Flachau joins those names.

Positives
Hotel, staff, prices, length of transfer, cruising style and extent of runs with suitability for differing standards. Definitely seems family oriented. The world cup slalom, a brilliant experience

Negatives
Not for me, maybe for others, but apres felt quite sedate. Hinterglemm in January (when apres not allowed!) was positively bouncing by comparison
Town seems quite spread out, so despite being close to a lift we felt miles from the proper town. There is plenty of parking near the lifts, buses are well organised and lots of ski storage at lifts so I certainly wouldnt be afraid to find reasonable accommodation away from lifts and walk or bus in each day.
Slopes began to feel quite busy and congested as the week wore on, with more young people than i expected when outside school holidays. **I accept that this year might not be representative of the normal spread of visitors
If you want deep and steep black runs ( I don't) look elsewhere.

Best run
Difficult, lots brought a grin to my face. Probably from the top of Grafenberg into Wagrain, taking the red which turns left and drops under the G Link station
Least favourite run
The blue run back from Zauchansee into Flachauwinkl. Done late in the day felt like it suffered from sun, traffic and people racing along it to head elsewhere

Lastly, mask wearing. I would say probably less than 10% in lifts and queues, though if i got to a gondola at mid station and everyone inside was wearing one I didnt get in out of courtesy. Its still out there so stay safe and considerate
snow conditions
@toyah807, interesting summary...and with a user name of Toyah I've been looking out for a girl!

Apres is a little sedate, having only opened on Saturday. It's usually jumping.

We always come this week. I've never known it so busy. Possibly because of the race, maybe pent up demand, but definitely a bit of a shock to the system.

Your points about the run back down from Zauch..yep I almost always download in march. Grafenberg..did it the other day..Great.

Mask wearing no longer required so people aren't. I'd be surprised if it was as high as 2%

Your transfer pick up will be fine...you'll be at the airport 2 hrs before your flight and that's more than enough
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I'd agree, this week is busier than a normal season. But a lot of my Ski School clients this week are on short breaks rather than a full on Ski Week, which suggests to me that it is pent up demand and not normal tourists. I'm not sure Apres will return to pre-covid levels this season, we'll see what Easter brings.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, yes, short breaks seem right, you can tell as people come and go. We were at possruck on Thursday and there were new arrivals that day
latest report
The trip ended with a diversion via the old road to Salzburg when a crash blocked the motorway. Journey took almost 2 hours but we made our flight so all's well. Actually quite nice (whilst panicking about missing our flight) having a bit of local information from a knowledgeable driver, including some info about Erlebnisburg Hohenwerfen structure and strategically placed forts. Also the ice cave Eisriesenvelt, at least I think that is the one from a google maps review.
Last word of warning......after catching up on five missed episodes via the BBC sounds app whilst out for a walk this morning, a week in Flachau clearly dulls your performance on Popmaster. ** I accept that a week in other resorts may similarly impair**
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy