Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glenshee conditions today

Poster: A snowHead
@valais2, All skiing miles are good miles in my view! And to be fair he is the youngest, completely fearless (which terrifies me!), does not feel the cold (wears shorts year round even in the alps in winter), and used to lots of Scottish outdoor time in all seasons and weather. And a very good skier. So probably happier in the conditions than most.

But the fact remains the area was open, lots of lifts running and the weather was no surprise to anyone (and not that bad later on). So no idea why anyone would expect to get a refund on their pass. Especially anyone who lives up here, spends time in the mountains, and skis a bit. Bizarre.

Just to correct you a bit, if there are only two out of the three (death balls, zero vis, eyeball-numbing wind) it is a good day out for Scots skiers. If all three even we think it is not such a good day! Worst is manning ski gates in those conditions when you are static for hours.

I will give you a heads up when I think we will have that magical combination of good snow, good weather and few queues (it does happen sometimes!), and see if you can make it up. It really is special when all that comes together (about every 4 years or so)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you had half a brain between you would have realised it was 10000 feet. I corrected this further down the screen
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JohnU, Well it had me laughing! And you don't seem to want to respond to any reasonable questions or challenges, so it should be no surprise that the thread gets a bit derailed.

You do seem to leap to insult very quickly, and some of what you have written is completely unacceptable. I am sure it is just the keyboard warrior thing and you would not speak like that to my face. I am happy to message you my contact details and we can discuss in an adult manner on the phone or face to face. If you are in Pitlochry we are not too far away from each other. And I could even give you a bit of my time (I am a qualified ski instructor and semi-retired from business) sometime when conditions allow at Glenshee, for free, just to show there are no hard feeling. Just let me know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the Guardian today….six people have died in the Scottish hills in the last two weeks.

Its dangerous out there…..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnU wrote:
From the Guardian today….six people have died in the Scottish hills in the last two weeks.

Its dangerous out there…..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/09/man-dies-17-rescued-ferocious-conditions-ben-nevis-scotland?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnU wrote:
From the Guardian today….six people have died in the Scottish hills in the last two weeks..

But not, I would guess, at Glenshee.

The man in the report died because he fell 300m, that would kill you even on the warmest summer day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnU, Yes it is. Very sad.

Underlines the importance of fully understanding the weather conditions and forecast before heading to the mountains. Something that cannot be stressed or stated enough.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, It was not dangerous at Glenshee. Unpleasant at times for sure, but no danger if well dressed.

It seems there are always more casualties in the mountains here after a period of relatively good weather. Scottish mountains are especially vulnerable to sudden and severe changes in conditions, and many of them are very easily accessible. As I said before most monros are easy to climb and lots of people with poor levels of knowledge/preparation/equipment will do so without incident. Until the weather changes or something goes wrong.

Accidents will always happen and it is tragic when it results in loss of life. But we should all do what we can to limit to avoidable casualties by beating the drum of skill/knowledge/preparation (esp. weather and route)/equipment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JohnU, @JohnU, I spoke to my son at a bit more length last night. He was laughing at your description of conditions on Tuesday at Glenshee, what he said was:
- It was indeed "a bit windy at the top" in the morning but he did not feel it was uncomfortably so
- There was no "cowering" behind a minibus he laughed more at that description, and all the teachers with them skied (they are qualified instructors) supplemented by a local BASI instructor
- Conditions improved and were better in the afternoon
- Snow was not the best but also not the worst he has skied at Glenshee
- Their large group (2 large minibuses) of 10 - 12 year olds skied the whole day with a short break for a packed lunch. None of them complained or had a problem with the weather.
- He enjoyed his day. Only disappointment was some of the more interesting skiing was not open.
- When my wife picked them up later she observed "a happy bunch who looked like they had a good day". She chatted to the teacher about conditions, he told her they got on fine with some wind in the morning but weather improved and afternoon was quite good.

He was back yesterday and again had a good day. Snow had deteriorated a bit, with icy patches at the top of lifts and some slush. Again "a bit windy at the top" but they all managed fine. There were a mixture of abilities including 10 year old beginners. Chatting to other parents at pick-up yesterday, consensus was they all got on well and enjoyed themselves. No mention of difficult weather conditions beyond chat about the snow not likely to hold up much longer.

It is not possible to draw any other conclusion than your indignation about not being refunded is completely unfounded. Not only was the area open but the qualified mountain leader in charge of the school group was happy with conditions. 10 year old beginners had no problems skiing all day. Which begs the question of why such an experienced and hardy outdoorsman as yourself felt conditions were so bad the area was un-skiable, should not have been open, and you should have got your money back for your pass. I can only conclude that you cannot cope with a bit of weather, are not used to Scottish conditions in winter, and have completely unrealistic expectations. And frankly are a big softie.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A good informed report from Zikomo Cool

Sat having breakfast in the tea@the shee and according to a wall display the local legend is that the elves of Glenshee ‘Sithichean a Ghlinnshith’ decide whether visitors are welcome. Apparently those accepted will return to the Glen for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps the Elves don’t accept everyone Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, Laughing Hope you have a good day!

Scottish skiing is not for everyone. And I would not even take my southern softie cousins walking in the mountains unless I was sure the weather would remain benign, they are just not used to what my kids see as normal and would be uncomfortable in conditions we would not bat an eyelid at. I suspect this is what happened with @JohnU,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zikomo wrote:
@Peter S, Laughing Hope you have a good day!

Scottish skiing is not for everyone. And I would not even take my southern softie cousins walking in the mountains unless I was sure the weather would remain benign, they are just not used to what my kids see as normal and would be uncomfortable in conditions we would not bat an eyelid at. I suspect this is what happened with @JohnU,

Absolutely this. We once took a visiting consultant for a walk from town up to the top of Dundee Law, and it nearly killed him.

This thread has been an absolute hoot. How to dig a hole for yourself and keep on digging.

Happy memories of the little ice marbles into the face on the top of Carn Aosda and having to pole down the top section of Meall Odhar against the wind. Having said that, I remember a glorious day in Glencoe on the 30th April, having just come back from Tignes and the snow was better in Glencoe

Learning to ski in Scotland didn't seem to do me any harm - until Covid I was managing 30 days a year (mostly abroad to my shame...). I was having a chat with some random Scots I met half way down from Plange 2000 and they were saying that they'd been asked by an Instructor, "Did you learn to ski in Scotland" and in reponse to the affirmative replied "Ah yes, you complete every turn as if your life depended on it"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andyrew, Yes, a fun discussion (with a bit of mild insult and toddler level stropping)! @JohnU, has been quick to respond hitherto but not today. One can only hope that some self-reflection has brought him to his senses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would just flag that if you want to ski at the 'shee I would do it this weekend as weather forecast not favourable and snow fell on warm ground so next week I suspect it will all disappear pretty quick.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@orange, I agree not looking good.

Despite the weather getting more spring like it will probably still be too tough for @JohnU, !
ski holidays
Juicy!
snow report
brianatab wrote:

If you can ski in Scotland, then you can ski just about anywhere else in the World. Very Happy

Exactly you can always spot someone raised on Scittish combat skiing. Any condition no matter how crappy is easy by comparison.
ski holidays
Another comedy gold vote.

I was told skiing in Scotland was akin to sticking your face into a blender full of ice.

Johnu, you really need to calm down. Virtually ever year I (can ski) a day is ‘lost’ when they just open one lift so no refund. And sometimes they don’t even do that until lunch time.
snow conditions
'Sand blasted by Ice' would be my description when standing at the top of the White Lady T-bar.....
ski holidays
This has all been amusing on one hand with the OP's rather contradictory statements! My only worry is that someone, not in the know, reads the first post and forms a bad opinion of the team at Glenshee who have done their very best to provide snowsports through a poor weather year off the back of 2 covid years. They need as much support as we can give them or won't be there for much longer. So lets all put our big boy pants on and go up for a slide even if the forecast and conditions are a bit Scottish. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

So lets all put our big boy pants on…

Sexist!!

What’s wrong with frilly knickers?
snow conditions
Quote:

conditions are a bit Scottish.

Racist!!

What’s wrong with Scouse Drizzle?
ski holidays
Transphobe!!

You saying that females can't wear big boy pants?
latest report
@scottishandy, Touché!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy