Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term '23 - Close to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
So after the excitement of finally getting away this year we've already booked flights into GVA for next year. We've been heading to Morzine for years and although we love it part of me wonders if its time for a change. We like Morzine as its great for skiers and non skiers and its a short transfer

I've looked at the likes of Samoens, La Clusaz, Megeve etc but wondered if there was anything else within say a 2hr transfer that we should consider ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you do a search there are very recent discussions about Samoens and La Clusaz. There's lots about Megeve on the forum, too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vessigaud wrote:
So after the excitement of finally getting away this year we've already booked flights into GVA for next year. We've been heading to Morzine for years and although we love it part of me wonders if its time for a change. We like Morzine as its great for skiers and non skiers and its a short transfer

I've looked at the likes of Samoens, La Clusaz, Megeve etc but wondered if there was anything else within say a 2hr transfer that we should consider ?

2 hours (by car) gets you to St Martin, Les Menuires or Meribel - for the 3 Valleys. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We like Combloux for half term. It's about an hour from Geneva and there are some threads about it on the forum too. You can get a Portes du Mont Blanc ski pass which covers Combloux, La Giettaz and Le Jaillet (which is accessed from Megeve village), or an Evasion du Mont Blanc ski pass which also includes the ski area above St Gervais and the other side of the Megeve village. Combloux is relatively low but the Megeve side is higher. We have tended to stay in Combloux after spending a morning in Megeve and not enjoying the longer queues.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Vessigaud, when you say Morzine, are you including the entire Portes du Soleil?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier is 1h 52m drive from Geneva Airport according to ViaMichelin.com

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 8-03-22 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
@Vessigaud, when you say Morzine, are you including the entire Portes du Soleil?

We've always based ourselves out of Morzine (some trips Essert Romand) but have skied all across the PDS. Have wondered about Chatel as that was my first ski trip with school and was great when we spent a day there a few trips back
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Vessigaud, Our preferred route to Châtel takes around1:30-1:40h from GVA if taking the Swiss autoroute north of lake Leman and going over Pas du Morgins. Can be quicker taking the French route but find it more stressful as often congested in parts and quite windy once we get to the valley road (kids get car sick).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What do you want? Cruisey blues, steeps, not to repeat the same run in a week, nice hotels, trees…?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
What do you want? Cruisey blues, steeps, not to repeat the same run in a week, nice hotels, trees…?

It always surprises me, this "not repeat the same run" mantra Shocked.

Surely that is something that appeals only to a small minority. Quality over quantity, surely? Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:

2 hours (by car) gets you to St Martin, Les Menuires or Meribel - for the 3 Valleys. Very Happy

Not at half term it doesn't.

It's taken me that long to get through the tunnels, clear of Bardonnex and down to Albertville.
And that's before having to queue all the way up the N90, with Gendarmes blocking the exits to keep the side roads free for local traffic and emergency services.

There was a driver who claimed he could get back to Les Gets with an empty van in 40 minutes, but on half-term Saturday it still took him 90 minutes as the Taninges road just bottlenecks. Even taking the comedy shortcut though Rond it was slow as all the other transfer vans went that way too.

as @Ozboy said, the North shore route is reliable even at half term (not to mention stunningly picturesque) for easy access to Swiss PdS and Chatel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Orange200 wrote:

Like most people - everything for as cheap as possible Very Happy

Key things are, reasonable transfer (under 2hrs), chalet acommodation (catered or self), decent ski & board schools for the kids, things to do for the non skiers (one reason we like Morzine is the village and the easy ability to get to the Pleney plateau). We're not high mileage skiers as kids often loop the same set of runs over and over
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Surely that is something that appeals only to a small minority. Quality over quantity, surely? Puzzled

I agree, whilst its nice to have a sense of range to explore in a resort, equally if I find a nice run that I enjoy, why the heck wouldn't I want to do it several times over the holiday?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Have skied frequently (almost annually) in PdS for 32 years, Monterosa (literally every run mostly every day there) for 21 years, and Chamonix valley for 16, I find this "same run" crap, a bit crap. We were in St Gervais/Megeve yesterday, been once before, defo like knowing where going, what's happening.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm. As @WindOfChange says, all bets are off for length of transfer to French resorts at half term. Combloux is an interesting suggestion, though I guess it would be preferable to have your own transport.
snow conditions
Through the Mt Blanc tunnel to Courmayeur or La Thuile in Italy?? snowHead
latest report
or various other places not far from the tunnel. Personally I'd prefer to drive a bit further and have quieter slopes.
snow conditions
What about Metabief Mont D’Or in the Jura’s which is just over an hour from GVA? Driven past it many times on my way to Châtel but never stopped. It’s a medium size resort and seems to have good cover in February despite being set between 1000 to 1500m elevation. Has anyone on this thread been there?
snow conditions
@Vessigaud,

Based on the comments above, unfortunately it looks likely that a max 2 hour transfer won't get you very far from Geneva at half term Sad .
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
Through the Mt Blanc tunnel to Courmayeur or La Thuile in Italy?? snowHead

^^I like this idea for a change. Although with tunnel waits, probably more than 2 hours...

There are, I think, 5 interconnected large French areas within a nearly guaranteed 2 hr transit (not including landing, getting luggage, picking up car) from GVA: Portes de Soleil; Chamonix/Mont Blanc; Grand Massif; St. Gervais/Megeve/Les Contamines; and Espace Diamant.

Outside of MB, the skiing at the other areas is not that different than Portes de Soleil, I would say; I.E., quality mid-altitude French stations with some lowish bits that can be heavily weather-dependent and will be crowded at half-term.

We really liked the Espace Diamant, and if you base yourself in Praz sur Arly or Flumet it should be easily within 2 hours. Can't argue with St. G, either, with amazing Mont Blanc views.
ski holidays
Quote:

if you base yourself in Praz sur Arly or Flumet it should be easily within 2 hours.

PsA better access than Flumet - straight up the fast new (well, fairly new.....) 6 man Cret du Midi chairlift and a huge free car park. But don't kid yourselves that just because the British mass market has never heard of it, it'll be deserted at half term.

PsA certainly very easy road access - only just up the road from Combloux.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
But don't kid yourselves that just because the British mass market has never heard of it, it'll be deserted at half term.

One you are "up" from PsA or Flumet or even Crest Voland, the crowds do tend to thin out, and you can stay up there all day. The Bellasta area in particular is great. As you know the center of Les Saisies can be mobbed, though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy