Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Klagenfurt - advice required on a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon everyone - thinking in 2023 we will fly to klagenfurt (a new flight so might try it) and we are looking for suggestions on where to go. Taking kids 4,6,7 with us so its their first time. We want a resort that is good for family but also that there is good après ski (a few families going so we will take turns child minding). Will we get better deals heading to this part of austria rather than the likes of Tirol etc . Open to all advice and even if its a trip into Italy too.. thanks in advance. ps..Accommodation suggestions also welcomed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think the best options are Bad Kleinkircheim or Nassfeld.
I think Nassfeld a little bit better for kids, although the Gondel way up is a pain in the AXXX....
Bad Kleinkircheim has also Spa etc and a little bit more "Luxus" hotels, but maybe you could visit the pools after skiing and this is a good option for small childrens.
Nassfeld - Hermagor has more Appartments etc.
If you have your own car choose Nassfeld. Otherwise maybe Bad Kl.
In Bad Kleinkircheim possible you could find something near ski lift, but Nassfeld is a little bit more difficult.

For après ski i have no idea...to be honest.
I visited once Bad Kleinkircheim, however with own car and we stayed a little bit away from Bad Kleinkircheim (Feld am See) in a Family Sport Hotel (Brennseehof)
Toll if you have small children but the logistic is a little bit a problem without own car

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 16-05-22 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I flew there I went to Goldeck.
No doubt there are many other places, but I was paid to go there so I went and had fun.
They had an FIS speed ski course, which would be brilliant for anyone who believes their GPS.
I stayed in accommodation they provided, which wasn't particularly close to the hill or particularly memorable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Train from Klagenfurt goes through the Gasteins. No personal experience, plenty of reviews if you search. Has a rep for being great for kids and a genteel nightlife.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimel, People tend to forget how far East Austria goes. Kranjskar Gora in Slovenia is the nearest decent resort to Klagenfurt. Nassfeld is the closest resort in Austria but still 70 mins away. There's enough to do for a week but not much nightlife and best budget accommodation is in Hermagor which is a 10 min drive. You're a long drive from anywhere decent in Italy so probably scrub that one.

The nearest "Big" resort is probably us in the Ski Amade. It is 1 hour 40 mins from Klagenfurt (so you might want to consider flying to Salzburg instead (45 mins)). That said, Flachau has some amazing family options. I have heard nothing bad about this place and they're doing a massive refurbishment for the Summer. https://www.central-flachau.com/en/holiday-resort.html . Sunweb also have a lot of options in Flachau. https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/austria/ski-amade/salzburger-sportwelt-ski-amade/flachau. Note, the Sunweb site says 120km of Piste, which is not correct. There are now 210km of Pistes across the "Snowspace" area and if you buy the 6 day pass this goes up to 780km with neighbouring resorts.

If you're after lower cost self-catering apartments, drop me a PM with more specifics and I'll see what I can do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is Petzen, don't have a feel for how good it is for beginners though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nassfeld for kids? Sure if they know how to ski pretty good, which at 4-7 years old and first time on skis, I doubt they do, otherwise definitely not. Nassfeld is not really resort for beginners. Tracks are not super hard (but good enough to keep me entertained for long, and let's say I ski pretty good wink ), but there's basically not a single easy track. Closest resort to Klagenfurt is Gerlitzen, just out of Villach (aboue 20min drive from Klagenfurt airport). Nassfeld is another 30min further (not really 70min as someone mentioned). 70min drive brings you to Flachau already. Closer then Bad Kleinkircheim you have also Kranjska Gora and Krvavec on Slovenian side (Krvavec is definitely better option, and if interested, we have apartment near by Smile ), and then previously mentioned Gerlitzen, and of course there's always Goldeck (not really much of ski place) and Katchberg. All this is basically in 1h drive from Klagenfurt.
Apres ski... well sure you can get wasted before ski lifts are closed on huts on hill, but after that good luck finding anything in Kaernten. So if apres ski is at least somehow important, pick Italy not Austria.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-05-22 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our first family ski holiday was in 1987 in St Oswald, which I believe is now lift-linked to Bad Kleinkirchheim . We stayed in a self-catered apartment in a complex with its own hot-spring pool, which was lovely. We enjoyed the holiday and had good lessons - though my instructor only spoke German, so it was just as well I had done O level, and there was a nice Dutch nun in the group who helped translate for me. 4 year old daughter also had an instructor with no English, but kids that age don't need much language, and she got on OK. Probably the instructors speak better English these days! It was early January and the snow down in the village was VERY slushy - but we knew no better and sloshed around happily enough. I don't remember much about the skiing but it must have been OK for beginners because that's what we were, though I'd done a week in Norway with a school trip in the 1960s!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good resource for an overview of all the ski resorts in the province of Carinthia...

https://www.bergfex.com/kaernten/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
very important is when do you want to go there...e.g. in March Kranjskar Gora i think its not a good option (too low?)
However i didnt skiing in Nassfeld until now . They declare that they are familyfriendly but if you see the ski map then i have the same opinino with primoz.
I think the best option are maybe Bad Kleinkircheim (although not so much easy terrain) or Gerlitzten.
Otherwise you have to go somewhere else

Flachau is better for kids etc, but then you have the same thing as Tirol (expensive etc)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I haven't been, but I really like the look of Turracher Höhe.

https://www.turracherhoehe.at/de/winter

I thought it looks a really nice, fun resort for families. You don't really need a massive resort if you're skiing with children. Unfortunately I couldn't find any good flights to Klagenfurt for us. Can I ask who you're flying with?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can see Katschberg has been mentioned. We went when my children were 4 and 7 and we all loved it. Really great resort.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Airport of Klagenfurt is for sale. This may affect the availability of future flights.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good spot, @Mankei, Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy