Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passenger Locator Form

Poster: A snowHead
One week too late from my pov but good riddance indeed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic news.

We’re skiing the first week of April, our first since NY2019/20 and we can forget about this red tape.

PLF’s entailed a very detailed exercise, x 3 or 4 for my family, towards the end of holidays. Always apprehensive about making a mistake.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Off to VT on Saturday. One less bit of faff to think about Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly related, BA scrap masks on planes:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-airways-scraps-facemasks-on-flights-cr93blmhr
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HilbertSpace wrote:
Slightly related, BA scrap masks on planes:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-airways-scraps-facemasks-on-flights-cr93blmhr

Not sure if Im as happy about that as other changes. I know they say the air in aircraft has a low chance of being a vector as its recycled and filtered but got quite used to anyone sitting so close, as your elbows fight for space, wearing a mask.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jet2 did this two week's ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
Jet2 did this two week's ago.

Mask still required if you are going in or out of Scotland
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heathrow now in on the drop the mask roll.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garfield wrote:

Mask still required if you are going in or out of Scotland

Good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swiftoid, Yeah, because they've worked really well so far haven't they to prevent an increase in infections in Scotland?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowhound, do you know what the infection rate would be without them? No, that's right, you don't.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swiftoid, No, but I can compare England with Scotland and they've made sod all difference. Such a predictable response. Wear a FFP3 to protect yourself if you want and the rest of us can decide for ourselves.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 16-03-22 21:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowhound, Maybe a higher percentage of the population in Scotland is testing and reporting their results?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swiftoid, Keeping trying to find reasons to justify them.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see EuroTunnel are still asking for Proof of Vaccine and PLF for travel dates well past the due changes.

I’m coming back on 9th April and the website is still asking for the above.

Wonder if it will change on Friday?
ski holidays
@snowhound, I don't need to. They're, at worst, a very minor inconvenience for most people and help reduce the spread. I care enough about my fellow human beings to support that requirement. YMMV.
snow report
@swiftoid, If they were such a minor inconvenience, why is hardly anyone still wearing them in shops and public places in England (or indeed France now) anymore. As soon as their requirement is dropped, people stop wearing them-pretty much everywhere.. Perhaps it is you who are in the minority.....
snow conditions
@snowhound, If the Tory government removed the drink driving restrictions I expect a larger number of people would drive drunk. That wouldn't indicate that removing the restriction was a good idea. What it may show is that many people believe that these decisions are made with their best interests at heart rather than the best interests of the Tories and their donors.

Please elaborate on the inconvenience wearing a mask causes for the majority of people.
latest report
swiftoid wrote:
Please elaborate on the inconvenience wearing a mask causes for the majority of people.

Face masks are unpleasant, uncomfortable, and a bit weird.

If they were so great we'd have been wearing them for years.
latest report
@HilbertSpace, Unpleasant and uncomfortable? Don't even notice wearing one now. I imagine being in ICU or ,you know, dying with Covid is a lot more unpleasant and uncomfortable. Still as long as you can go to Tesco and fly to the Alps without feeling a little bit uncomfortable then that's OK and everyone else can take their chances with your choice.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:

Does this help https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302 ? Sorry it's not from a reliable journal, like Dandy or Beano, but will BMJ do?
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
swiftoid wrote:

Face masks are unpleasant, uncomfortable, and a bit weird.

If they were so great we'd have been wearing them for years.

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1465043001303093261/photo/1
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@swiftoid, No, but I can compare England with Scotland and they've made sod all difference. Such a predictable response. Wear a FFP3 to protect yourself if you want and the rest of us can decide for ourselves.

One thing I dislike about this forum is that you can edit your posts once you've been replied to. This one has been edited twice.
ski holidays
@swiftoid, quote the original post in your reply to preserve it from any future edits
snow report
@albob, Yes, thanks, will do in future.
snow report
Is the PLF officially scrapped as of 4am Friday ? We’re flying back later on Friday, and all the official sites still seem to say you need one
snow conditions
Is the PLF officially scrapped as of 4am Friday ? We’re flying back later on Friday, and all the official sites still seem to say you need one
ski holidays
@swiftoid, You really are one of the True Believers and I suspect have not been south of the border recently otherwise you would have seen for yourself that you are in a small and ever decreasing minority who think masks are worth the inconvenience and discomfort. As soon as allowed to stop wearing them, around 90% of people have done so in England, and I would wager this will be the same in Scotland when the Dear Leader eventually allows people to decide for themselves. You seem to think you know other peoples' minds better than they do. I would be stocking up on the FFP2/3s if I were you you.
1. Any edits I have made to posts have been to correct SPAG or make them read better. Not to change the main thrust of my argument.
2. Your analogy with drink driving is a false one. There is clear scientific evidence between alcohol consumption and driving impairment. No such evidence links mask wearing by the general population and limited Covid spread. If there were, there still would not be this discussion.
3. I am a professional scientist, I understand there is a huge range in the quality of evidence. You clearly do not. That BMJ study was more akin to opinion than scientific fact. If that's the best you can find....
4. Just because something is published in the BMJ, does not make it Gospel. They issue retractions and corrections like any publication. Remember MMR, that was in the BMJ not the Beano?
5. So let's look at real world evidence then in the absence of hard empirical study proof. There is no-none-clear link between the introduction/removal of mask mandates, and infection rates; either between different countries, or within the experience of a single country. You only have to look at different areas of the UK or different European countries to see this.
6. I've had three jabs and covid twice. I reckon 6/10 on the bad cold scale. So I reckon I am safe from needing intubation. Thanks for your concern though.
Keep wearing a mask. Hell, wear two if you like. I don't care but you seem to care more about making other people wear them so you can feel safe. Fortunately those times are coming to an end, even in Scotland one day maybe.
That's all I've got to say. Believe what you want. Come back at me if you want-I am sure, with your messianic zeal, you will. I've got a dog to walk and a job to do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt wrote:

This from the .gov.uk website

"..If you will arrive in England from abroad after 4am, Friday 18 March, you do not need to:

take any COVID-19 tests – before you travel or after you arrive
fill in a UK passenger locator form before you travel.
This will apply whether you are vaccinated or not.."
snow report
snowhound wrote:
Not necessary, because it's the science. They reduce the transmission and reception between individuals in closed environments. And for most people, they're a negligible inconvenience. And they are generic to all such transmissibility. So why not us this simple, cheap and effective countermeasure? Of course, some people won't believe the science. And others may or may not, but think that individual freedom outweighs collective health security. And some can't be bothered. Most people will think that there's probably some point where the advantages are so small individually and collectively that it's best to leave it to personal choice. By all means rail against their imposition as a perceived threat to personal liberty, or see them as being of little benefit, but you can't deny their effectiveness.

What we should really be worrying more about is the plan to sell the UK's VMIC - Vaccine Manufacturing & Innovation Centre - to foreign buyers. Thus losing the UK a vital, UK-taxpayer and UK-industry funded, UK-controlled facility for responding to the next epidemic. Basically putting us back at square one all over again when this next happens.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 17-03-22 11:28; edited 6 times in total
snow conditions
I'm coming back on the tunnel on Sunday (but unfortunately not from skiing), so after the PLF has been officially scrapped. My booking was still asking me to upload. I've contacted Eurotunnel who said they know it's not needed and are updating their bookings and to ignore it.
Cheers Rich
ski holidays
Got back from St Gervais last Friday, PLF was the only covid legislation/dangly bits all week.
Not asked for covid pass at easyjet check in at Liverpool, or Geneva (in either direction) just fill in five pages of dangly bits for borris to come back.
Not once asked for a covid pass while in France, masks were rarely being used, we tended to to be the odd ones in with them!

Tested positive on Monday, wife on Wednesday, mate on our trip tested positive Tuesday, his wife Sunday; kids are all still negative.

It is a lottery.
ski holidays
@LaForet, No, I'm not one of the 'face nappy brigade', and 'against my personal rights'. I just like to see clear scientific evidence before I am made to do something and it is just not there in a rigorous manner-certainly not in real world settings rather than artificial laboratory experiments which in no way reflect how they are worn and used in every day life. But we do seem to agree that in the end, they should be down to personal choice from now on.
Anyway, this used to be a PLF thread before it got changed to masks by swiftoid.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
snowhound wrote:
Not necessary, because it's the science. They reduce the transmission and reception between individuals in closed environments. And for most people, they're a negligible inconvenience. .... By all means rail against their imposition as a perceived threat to personal liberty, but you can't argue against their effectiveness.

I think the real problem is that many have believed the narrative that Covid is a simple respiratory infection and they can risk getting it with impunity. All the evidence now points to significant effects to the brain and cardiovascular systems amongst others. It is of course a "novel virus", not seen in humans before, so it's longer term effects are only now becoming seen.

For a simple minor inconvenience I'm certainly going to continue with the mitigations that can reduce my own chance of infection.

https://twitter.com/drkerrynphelps/status/1503235200557334529?s=20&t=mhf8tmm_uvH2t2_x-O1cOQ

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-03-22 11:30; edited 2 times in total
latest report
PS Agreed about the VMIC. So much for building national resilience.
latest report
snowhound wrote:

Anyway, this used to be a PLF thread before it got changed to masks by swiftoid.

Incorrect. I didn't bring up masks I simply responded with 'good' to someone else when they were already being discussed then you pounced on it.
latest report
BA still insisting on face masks here at LHR. Either they haven't scrapped rule yet or they didn't get the memo.
latest report
Well I am going to try and fill in my PLF at 7 o’clock tomorrow morning and see what happens. Will report back here!
snow report
@eblunt, where are you going?
snow report
eblunt wrote:
Well I am going to try and fill in my PLF at 7 o’clock tomorrow morning and see what happens. Will report back here!

I think you will find that the page has been removed from the gov.uk site......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy