Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Diesel availability - France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Anyone travelling the peages finding any shortages of fuel yet? We are due to hit the road next Fri, and starting to worry a bit that the supply situation is worsening. Bad enough that it's hitting £1.70, but be much worse sitting with an empty tank at Reims!! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be ok. Some local shortages. Our supermarket was empty shelves this morning but maybe due to panic buying.

2 euros a liter chokes demand to some degree.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We saw no evidence of shortages when we drove down to the Alps on Thursday. We paid € 1.89 - 1.99 / lt. Several motorway service areas were, however, closed for building work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Hard to tell where it will be in a weeks time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Note that on the Autoroute des Anglais on the segment around Sommesous, there are a series of autoroute petrol stations closed for refurbishment - for around 80kms or so. The overhead notice signs will tell you about this, and before the last open station, how far it is to the next available one.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 5-03-22 20:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In French Alps at the moment. No shortages whatsoever. Why would you expect shortages?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no problem for diesel,we've just got to Nendaz.prices are high though ive seen 2euro per litre for disel.
the standard of driving has gone downhill since i last drovein france, i thought that the uk was bad .!
i'm liking the look of nendaz so far on the slopes tomorrow first time in two years 880chf for two lift passes though !!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Note that on the Autoroute des Anglais on the segment around Sommesous

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Total+Petrol+Station+Access/@48.7392711,4.1867023,13.75z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x47e956958be0d3bd:0x40a5fb99a3b4070!2s51320+Sommesous,+France!3b1!8m2!3d48.738145!4d4.197908!3m4!1s0x47e956b84783cdd1:0xbc5ed979acd7b703!8m2!3d48.7313325!4d4.2053241

Worth a short detour here. Historically fuel has been quite a bit cheaper than the Aire at Sommesous.

edit. Looking at the info panel on the map it's not 24hr service.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deleted, as out of date info.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just came back from a week in T3V (lovely weather if a little warm. Snow still good in VT, the higher parts of Meribel, Courchevel and Orelle. A little slushy one or two days down in the bottom end of Les Ménuires and St Martin).

Last Friday, on the drive down to the tunnel I topped up the tank at the Shell at Folkestone at enormous expense but apparently all the others around there had run dry according to the lady on the till.

Through France we never came across a petrol station with no fuel but some very high prices (about €2 a litre along the autoroutes). We filled up more than was stricktly necessary because we were worried about dry pumps later on in the journey but we needn’t have worried. It was the same story on the return journey yesterday.

One thing to bear in mind is that at a fair few we had to prepay for fuel which made it quite slow and also meant never getting a full tank as we had to estimate how many euros worth we needed each time. This usually meant at about half a tank going in and asking for €40 worth.

This wasn’t happening at every petrol station but something to think about and is probably the cause of the pump not working at first - I spent a long time staring dumbly at it and pulling the trigger at about 3am just outside Beaune!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No significant issues last weekend provided your ere willing to pay… and much cheaper in France than Germany (€.15-/0.20/l).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you pick a large town near the autoroute and find a supermarket, you used to save quite a bit on the fuel price for 5-10 mins extra on your journey
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can check fuel prices in France here, don't think it will help with availability though.

My local supermarket in the UK has been out of fuel the last two times I have been shopping.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
You can check fuel prices in France here, don't think it will help with availability though.

And if you want to go to extremes you can even plot your route. It can then show you all the filling stations in close proximity to your route together with price and distance from your route. It seems to include every filling station within about 2km of your route.

Once finished there is then a print option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:

Thanks, I have been trying to find this website for ages .............. this time I will bookmark it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
viamichelin.fr also gives fuel prices on its map - click on the the petrol-pump icon in the top left corner.
latest report
We always use French supermarkets for petrol - so much cheaper. But it's a bit easier as we overnight and fill up where we stop.

It's totally worth going out of your way though if you plan carefully - ideally finding a supermarket no more than 5 mins off turn off. There are some you can literally see from the motorway (one in particular I always see but have finally worked out that to get to it you need to turn off at the junction before you get alongside it as there's no junction after).
ski holidays
@kettonskimum, exactly what we do.
latest report
We now take a 5L (1.1 gallon) petrol can with us, just to handle the range anxiety when doing these longer journeys. Eurotunnel allows up to one 20L metal can to be carried without having to declare it. Ours is an Explosafe™ type with an internal honeycomb to prevent ignition if punctured. You can get smaller 2L cans but these don't seem quite enough to get you very far in a search for a petrol station, and the larger 10L ones seem a bit too big. 5L gives us a 33 mile / 53 Km range, which seems reasonable (based on a pessimistic 30mpg).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy