Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
I'm limited due to annual leave, so this is why I am thinking of a trip at this time of year. Obviously snow sureness is a priority, so I am thinking of one of the high French Resorts. What is it like atmosphere wise?

Any good deals (from belfast)??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, would you consider Obergurgl (in Austria) it is high and last season I think it's fair to say the Austrian resorts got the best of the early snow last season. "If you're going there I wouldn't start from here" wink Not the cheapest of resorts...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied at Christmas for the last half-dozen years, either Courchevel or Les Arcs. The atmosphere in the resort has always been nice, and it's never been too busy. Snow conditions have been OK: sometimes not brilliant, but always plenty of piste skiing available.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LET DOWN! Maybe because it didnt feel chrisstmassy in the slightest in La Plagne, even though there was loads of snow!! Depends who you're with, but without the xmassy bits from home, It was crap!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, the historic records for recent years indicate that Austria has better early snow than France. Last year was not an exception, but proved the rule of the previous few years.

Of course it goes without saying (but I shall say it anyway) that past records do not necessarily indicate the future situation. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only skied twice around Christmas. I was in Soldeu over Christmas this season and it was fantastic. Everyone seemed to be in festive spirits and most hotels put on a show. We didn't see a cloud all week but there was plenty of snow around, it felt nice skiing on Christmas Day (mind you, it feels nice skiing on any day snowHead ), you'll find people skiing as Santa and the like. Quite fun and jolly on the slopes that day (and a bit quieter). If you're going with anyone who's learning it's worth noting that significant odds are that the ski school will not be operating on the 25th! (My write up of that week.)

I've also been at New Year (first day was Boxing Day), slightly different and not useful regarding atmosphere, but the snow conditions in Serre Chevalier were not that good, but definitely skiable. As with any early season booking, you'll have to gamble regarding snow conditions. As Ray says though, the Austrians resorts have probably been best recently during the early season - they certainly were this season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Saas Fee over New Year - Resort Report here. The Swiss make a bigger deal of New Year than Christmas Day - I understand they even had ski lessons on Christmas Day! snowHead The snow was fine but there had been fresh at the beginning of the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To totally disagree with Nadenoodlee, we had a wonderful Christmas in Montalbert La Plagne. Starting early evening on Christmas day with Pere Noel arriving on skis accompanied by a torchlit decsent by the esf carrying cow bells and ringing them very loudly! Pere Noel skied to the village and climbed aboard his sleigh while Madame Noel was throwing sweeties to the crowd. The esf then pulled the sleigh through the village streets to the tiny chapel where the nativity was enacted whilst the crowd were warmed by free Vin Chaud. The bars were then very busy to the small hours.
Christmas day we had our normal Family Christmas presents etc and Turkey dinner late afternoon.
Christmas day was pretty much a normal days skiing except for glimpses of Father Christmas skiing around the La Plagne area! Snow conditions were generally good but better in Montalbert because of the extensive snowmaking.
In direct contrast to Nade we brought all our christmassy bits from home with us which made a huge difference! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're off to Zermatt for xmas. According to the locals when we there last January, they get most of their snow early and late season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We skied at Christmas in Meribel in 1987 (I know it's a long time ago) and although the resort wasn't very Christmassy, everyone in the chalet decided to make it special and had a good time. The snow conditions weren't great and we had to get the lifts down from mid-station at the end of each day.

More recently, in 2003, we skied the week before Christmas in Tignes. The snow conditions were fine and there were no problems skiing down to Val d'Isere, Val Claret and Le Lac. The weather was cold and sunny and a lot better than it was during the February 2003 half-term week when it was just cold and cold.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy, I think from most parts of Ireland you can get cheap(ish) flights to paris. then you can take the train. There's a station at Charles de Gaulle airport. I've had lots of clients doing this. Paris (Gare de Lyon) to Grenoble is about 3.5 hours + then regular bus to resort. You can use this for LDA or ADH. I reckon "sort of christmassy" is the thing. The French celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve evening for prezzies and big meal, so the 25th isn't that special. We have decorations, fireworks, torchlit descent by the ESF and Pere Noel giving sweeties away from his pony and trap. Elves and a grotto for the little kids. Very Happy OTOH Austria probably has more obvious atmosphere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've made a point of heading for mountains for the last few years, beats staying with the in-laws Twisted Evil I've done both chalet and apartments, and chalets can be fun, providing as ever, you get a good bunch of people. Without wishing to get too slushy, it can be can quite romantic exchanging Christmas gifts over a champaigne lunch on a slope side restaurant. Also fun to go out and get sloshed with like minded folk in the evening. Back on thread, I've really enjoyed Morzine village which is pretty with decent piste access. For snow sureness Meribel has never failed me, but be sure to stay at the bottom of the mountain at Brides les Bains. It's cheaper and much more 'authentic'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have had Christmas in Val d'Isere for most of the last 10 years. My impression is that the resort puts on a few festive events but mostly the resort workers treat it as just another few days in the ski season. The few events plus the attitiude of the holiday-makers make it a special few days and so I have been very happy with my Christmas holidays. Around the slopes you see people in Santa hats and occasionally Santa suits. Have even seen skiing Santas handing out sweets as gifts. My holidays have been in chalets where the staff wanted to enjoy their Christmas as well as making it special for their guests. For many chalet staff it is the first time they have spent Christmas away from their family and so they want to make it nice.

Part of the fun of a family Christmas is the preparations. In a chalet the staff do most of the preparation, but it can be good to help them. Let the kids assist them in decorating the tree and the room. Do not be late for Christmas supper and, as it is a special meal, help with laying the table and stirring the gravy. Read and remember a book of good jokes so you keep the party spirit going, although it is probably better to avoid what I did a couple of years ago, namely telling too many Irish jokes to a doctor from Belfast.

Christmas is a good time to go skiing. A little less crowded than the new year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy, We skied Saalbach 3 years ago stayed at the Sonnalp in Hinterglemm and it was lovely, with the manager of the hotel dressing up as Father Christmas on Christmas Eve dispensing presents. We attended the local church for a concert which all added up to a very pleasant atmostsphere joining in with all the local people. So ski-ing at Christmas in an established village community can a very pleasant experience. So my bet for Christmas would be Austria for the atmostsphere I would think. So Obergurgl for a snow sure resort would be a good plan or Saalbach if the snow conditions are good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, We've skiied in Peisey/Vallandry the last couple of Christmases & its been great. The French celebrate mostly on Christmas Eve, so slopes were very quiet Christmas Day. Generally quiet, but very busy leading up to & including New Year. Snow cover was adequate, although I think it was 2 years ago the snow only arrived the night before the resort opened! Great way to spend Christmas, specially with kids getting older. Sadly wont be there this Christmas!
latest report
We have skied at Christmas a few times and always had a great time, the snow has been ok (St Anton this year there was shed loads of it)
I would say the Christmasy atomosphere is probably better in the smaller resorts rather than some of the huge French ones, where it really did seem like just another day.We normally go as a crowd of 10 or so family and friends and always done small chalet's, where we have prettymuch been the only ones in it (who want to share xmas dinner with some nob from............. Oh, thats Pete and he comes with us !!!!)the chalet staff have always done a fab job,

Take your christmas stuff with you, except the crackers if you fly, they make you take the "BANG" out Shocked
snow conditions
johnboy, If you want to get maximum skiing with minimum leave we are offering 10 night holidays over Christmas for which you would only need to take 5 days leave! We are based in Alpe D'Huez and so are a high altitude resort with a good snow record. We will also have full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings so you won't forget it's Chirstmas!

Have a look at our website and then contact me for a quote for the Christmas period - we always give special reductions to Snowheads! Very Happy
snow report
I spent Christmas 2 seasons ago in La Clusaz, which had loads of snow despite being a 'low' resort, and it's such a friendly resort, every evening there were fun festivities in the village square, it was a brilliant atmosphere. I enjoyed it loads and I'd definitely rather spend Christmas there! On Christmas day the chalet owners invited us up to their chalet for a meal and a chat! Which was great because the man of the house was the ski lift manager of a whole Massif so I spent all night quizzing him about working in the resort... but anyway, definitely go for it, if you get the right resort it seems, Christmas is awesome!!
Also there is much more capacity for ski-related presents when in resort... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We're hoping to be out in Serre Chevalier again, this time with a tree and decorations I hope. Last year we moved in on Christmas Eve, so no chance to do anything much. WE did have a nice meal and a days skiing on Christmas Day though.
snow conditions
Quote:

WE did have a nice meal and a days skiing on Christmas Day though.

Just goes to show, it's who you're with, and what you make of it, that matters. We had a Christmas in our new apartment in 2002. We had just moved in, we had no curtains, the hob wasn't working (last minute wiring job before handing over the keys) but it really didn't matter. Having done a rapid return trip with White Van the previous week, we arrived with 2 of the kids on Christmas Eve at 7pm, having driven from Le Havre. First pleasant surprise was that all the resort shops were still open so we had fresh bread and croissants for Christmas Breakfast, instead of the stuff in bags in the roof box. The streets were full of people walking round enjoying the atmosphere. We had worried about the alcoholic smell in the car being the bottle of malt whisky smashed, but it turned out to be only the de-icer leaking. The snow was fairly crap, it drizzled slightly (even at 2000m) on Christmas Day but we were in, most things worked, the malt whisky was intact and it was a proper White Christmas. I took a look at the drizzle and when the kids went out ski-ing, stayed in with a large glass of the malt and made some curtains. It was a big improvement on sitting in front of the damned TV watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang again, that's for sure. But for keen skiers, it is probably best to think in terms of a fun Christmas holiday with a bit of ski-ing, rather than a ski holiday. Or wait till the very last minute and book only when you are sure of snow.
ski holidays
johnboy, My very first ski trip was over the christmas week to Mayrhofen and I had a great time. Very christmassy in the town and as far as I remember we had plenty of snow. I remember taking pictures outside the Pension I was staying in with the snow falling very heavily all around. A great weeks intro to skiing. snowHead
latest report
pam w, exactly, we even watched The Great Escape after dinner!!!! The atmosphere in the village was brilliant. Instead of building LEGO the teenagers helped build some IKEA furniture . Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
johnboy, We always go that time of year either Norway or France depending on whose turn to visit the outlaws. A skiing holiday at christmas is fantastic, same as any other week, we have never had a problem with snow that week but we are at 1800 mtrs. Apart from pere noel arriving xmas eve and the fireworks it is the same as any other time. It is rather unusual not to have turkey and the roast on xmas day but I prefer the savoyarde mountain fayre and the slopes.

Go and you will have great fun, we are not party animals these days but it is great for the family, (The Dog and the wrinkleys). Last year Norway so that must mean Avoriaz this year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Happy days.
latest report
johnboy, Forgot to say in my previous post that when I was a kid we always went to Wengen at Christmas, and always had a great time. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for all the great replies folks snowHead
snow conditions
Where we are, it's snowed on Christmas Day for 2 out of the last 3 years. All the slopes have been open, good snow, blah blah blah. Who knows what next winter will bring?

I expect that most resorts will make a bit of an effort (as described in various posts above) and bars/nightclubs will have special events but the type of Christmas you have will mostly depend on you. If you want to escape the whole Christmas thing you could probably do that but if you want the whole tree, crackers (hard to come by in France, bring your own although against airline regs to take them on the plane but I've seen people do it), turkey thing you'll have a great backdrop for it.

The New Year week is far busier so if you can arrange a trip that gets you out there for Christmas but back before New Year the slopes will be quieter. With New Year's Eve falling on a weekend this year you might find that the week 23 - 30 Dec is fairly quiet, or you might find that it's full of school kids.

[Added] Oh, and if you're staying in a hotel/chalet before you book you might as well ask them what they're laying on. We had a tree, decorations, champagne for breakfast (although I was the only one that could face this), presents for the guests, mince pies, sherry, port, Christmas Day dinner of what the guests chose (duck in this case) etc etc. I assume that if you're paying £500 for the week you'd get this sort of thing wherever you went.
ski holidays
Skiing at Christmas - a great way to get away from all the festive rubbish at home. Yeah, you can do all the Christmassy stuff if you wish, but if you just want to go out and ski and have a few beers without all the other paraphernalia then it's great. In most places it seems the slopes are really quiet on the day itself but, depending on where you are, it can get really busy for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
johnboy, have been skiing at Christmas for the last few years. Can't imagine staying at home anymore. There's nothing like being out on Christmas day, knowing that most of your relatives are at home stuffing their faces on too much turkey and watching another Bond re-run. Also solves a lot of arguments in my family about who's doing what and going where Twisted Evil
Also, it's great being away from the in-yer-face commercialism of Christmas in the UK. France and Italy seem much more low-key, whilst still managing to celebrate.

Of course, there's a bit of a downside..... It's generally not so pleasant weather-wise (depending on your destination of course) but can't think of any others Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy