Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a snow sure resort in Austria for Xmas/NY 2022-23 with ski in ski out accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Motherofthree, Flachau and Wagrain in the Ski Amade would suit you well in terms of affordability, Zauchensee is also good and a little higher. Slightly longer drive than France but you'll save 20% on feeding your brood on the Muountains. We live here and can assure you that there's always plenty of piste open for Christmas Week. Most of the resort is North Facing so any early season snow holds well. Our large family apartments are currently on offer for Christmas Week (19-26 Mon-Mon) for €2335 (that's Euros not pounds!) and if you're driving down you can avoid the weekend traffic. PM me if you want more help or information. There was a great article on our area in the Daily Telegraph yesterday. Have a look in their travel section if you can.

Thanks, Zauchensee looks good and snow sure, but Flachau and Wagrain seem too low in December. We are looking to travel 24th-31st Dec and would only consider Zauchensee out of these three ski resorts. Do you have any accommodation to offer there for this time?

I'm afraid I don't have anything starting 24 Dec 22. The 24th is the Austrian "Christmas Day" so everything will be closed when you arrive. I'd recommend trying to come a day earlier. Flachau/Wagrain are linked to Zauchensee so where you stay in Salzburg Snowspace should probably be driven by other factors. Oh and I'd skip Obertauren at that time of year, it tends to be good snow but Zero visibility. Now not every December is the same, but the photo was taken on 6 Dec 21 from Reitdorf looking across at Flachau/Wagrain. Doesn't look "too low" to me.

Okay, thanks for the info. It looks very beautiful!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-03-22 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munich_irish wrote:
@Motherofthree, Austrian "resorts" are generally much lower than French ones. Typically that is because they are villages in the valleys at the base of the skiing rather than purpose built places above the tree line (there are some exceptions like Obertauern and Obergurgl). Also Austria has a lower tree line and tends to be colder in winter than France. That does not mean that they are less reliable for snow but some years (this year being an example) the eastern alps has earlier and / or more snow than the western alps. There is an element of chance in all this. If snow reliability is your key criteria then Ischgl is one of the most reliable places in the entire alps (I have been skiing there when it has been the only non glacial area open). Flachau (and the adjacent areas) does have a good snow record but if it is a dry & mild December (not unknown) then pretty much everywhere will be skiing on white strips amongst green fields. If you choose to go skiing at Christmas there is always a chance of thin conditions wherever you go.

I see. Yes I have looked at Ischgl and it ticks all our boxes, the problem is just finding somewhere to stay there that doesn't break the bank...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If you choose to go skiing at Christmas there is always a chance of thin conditions wherever you go.

True - and the best way to optimise the chances of good snow plus "ski in/out" is to go high. Which often means going bleak, cold and purpose-built. Choosing an area with a good choice of runs below, and above, the tree line, and in pretty "village style" surroundings probably means having to travel some way to the snow, rather than ski in/out. I think being in the mountains for Christmas beats being in the UK where it is almost always dreich and bleak and cold, and where for most people the priorities are to spend too much, eat and drink too much and watch telly for hours at end. But you do need to be clear about your priorities and the compromises you're prepared to make.

The timings for Christmas and New Year, where the usual "Sat/Sat" or "Sun/Sun" arrangements don't always apply, are an added complication. In France, where I have spent many a Christmas (some with good snow, some without.......) both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are normal days on the slopes, with lifts open, ski lessons etc. But on Christmas Eve restaurants will be full (and anyone who's not booked will be out of luck) and shops closing earlier than normal. The boulangeries are selling their most festive fare (including ice cream cakes) and the atmosphere is lovely. Even if, as sometimes is the case, the weather is gloomy and it's raining (plenty of French ski resorts are "villages in the valley" too).

Yes this is my thinking too, hence why we are looking for a high altitude resort.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Motherofthree wrote:
Yes this is my thinking too, hence why we are looking for a high altitude resort.

I've had more unpleasant days this season with high winds and low viz than sunny ones. Being high in a white out ain't great fun day after day. going high this season, out the 30 days I've skied so far 50% have been in low viz or Howling wind.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Motherthree
In doing my own searching today, plus past experience, there’ll be far more availability/choice of Austrian hotels coming up than you see just now.

If you actually visit hotel websites, they haven’t priced up and aren’t selling November dates onwards.

The scant availability on booking/hotels/tripadvisor/expedia is a false representation at this early stage.

My experience is that much loved hotels have taken pre-bookings from regulars who stayed this Xmas/NY/FebHT. Some would already be ‘full’ that way, but a small minority.

Things seem to take off in May.

Regarding us punters and demand, many people seem to looking way earlier than they were pre-pandemic. Pent up demand and lots of money saved, desperate to ski or board some more.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero visibility? We were in Obertauern over Christmas and we had eight days of sunshine!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tiefschneetaucher, very lucky. we were in tignes xmas and new year 50/50 Feb 50/50. There ain't too many trees in the EK to get out if it either
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mother hucker wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:

I've had more unpleasant days this season with high winds and low viz than sunny ones. Being high in a white out ain't great fun day after day. going high this season, out the 30 days I've skied so far 50% have been in low viz or Howling wind.

I agree, I know what it's like to ski in white out windy conditions - not fun. Still I'm thinking that I'd rather have white out, cold conditions than no snow at all when on a ski holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow&skifan wrote:
@Motherthree
In doing my own searching today, plus past experience, there’ll be far more availability/choice of Austrian hotels coming up than you see just now.

If you actually visit hotel websites, they haven’t priced up and aren’t selling November dates onwards.

The scant availability on booking/hotels/tripadvisor/expedia is a false representation at this early stage.

My experience is that much loved hotels have taken pre-bookings from regulars who stayed this Xmas/NY/FebHT. Some would already be ‘full’ that way, but a small minority.

Regarding us punters and demand, many people seem to looking way earlier than they were pre-pandemic. Pent up demand and lots of money saved, desperate to ski or board some more.

Thanks for the info, what you say makes sense as I have also been struggling to find any affordable, ski in ski out accommodation in the "snow sure" Austrian ski resorts for Xmas 2022. I will pause my search for now and re-start it later this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Motherofthree,

Really - do away with ski in/out.
Austria is about village charm. Not like france purpose built ski resorts.
If it is pre Xmas, how about katschberg? https://www.katschberg.at/en/advent-trail.html
Do the advent walk, take in each stop that is filled with actors playing their own festive scene. Sip on a gluwein, take a sleigh ride, etc. Then find a nice tavern for some Schnitzel.
Ski in/out means you spend the evening looking out the window down the mountain at the illuminated town thinking how much better it looks down there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Motherofthree wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
@Motherthree

Thanks for the info, what you say makes sense as I have also been struggling to find any affordable, ski in ski out accommodation in the "snow sure" Austrian ski resorts for Xmas 2022. I will pause my search for now and re-start it later this year.

Looking from the beginning of May onwards and keep rechecking should reap dividends, in my experience.

Many Austrian hotels seem to wait until the current season’s fully done.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to Obergurgl 3 times - great hotels, ski in/out, high snow sure resort, 1 hour from Innsbruck Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raclette wrote:
Been to Obergurgl 3 times - great hotels, ski in/out, high snow sure resort, 1 hour from Innsbruck Very Happy

Thanks for the tip, Obergurgl does look good. Will start looking for accommodation when this season is finished, like the previous poster suggested, as there is not much availability at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow&skifan wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
@Motherthree

Looking from the beginning of May onwards and keep rechecking should reap dividends, in my experience.

Many Austrian hotels seem to wait until the current season’s fully done.

Thanks, that explains why it`s so difficult to find suitable accommodation now for the next season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@Motherofthree,

Really - do away with ski in/out.
Austria is about village charm. Not like france purpose built ski resorts.
If it is pre Xmas, how about katschberg? https://www.katschberg.at/en/advent-trail.html
Do the advent walk, take in each stop that is filled with actors playing their own festive scene. Sip on a gluwein, take a sleigh ride, etc. Then find a nice tavern for some Schnitzel.
Ski in/out means you spend the evening looking out the window down the mountain at the illuminated town thinking how much better it looks down there.

Thanks for your reply, I hear you, but for us, a snow sure resort is more important than a pretty village. Katschberg looks good and high, never heard of this place before actually.
snow conditions
Quote:

a snow sure resort is more important than a pretty village

Those requirements are not incompatible if you're OK with going up to (and perhaps down from) the skiing in a gondola, as people have already pointed out. If you are prioritising the ski in/out requirement and don't mind being up high, possibly in bleaker surroundings, then I'm not clear why you've decided on Austria rather than France.
latest report
Motherofthree wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:

I agree, I know what it's like to ski in white out windy conditions - not fun. Still I'm thinking that I'd rather have white out, cold conditions than no snow at all when on a ski holiday.

Lift closures are even less fun than low viz.

Zillertal valley is a good shout. There's a glacier if you really feel you need one on the valley lift pass. Nice villages and towns all reasonably priced.
ski holidays
Hi @Motherofthree,

I've started my own enquiries for the same or similar Austria ideas as you, directly with hotels. It's boiling down to the following:

1. The popular (either stunning and/or top reviewed on TA for example) hotels, in snow sure resorts, tend to be fully booked already with waiting lists! I've been aware of this in the past. Nothing you or I could've done by acting earlier, as they admit that they keep allocating the rooms and dates to regulars.

This is irrespective of whether their websites haven't yet published next season's prices.

2. The rest. I'd suggest start making enquiries with hotels that tick the boxes for you. Their websites usually have an enquiry option. Plus keep checking booking.com (my favourite).

After a couple of pandemic hit seasons plus April 2020, it seems that every European skier/boarder is booking much earlier than before, many with a shedload of cash from not holidaying. An ordered stampede.
ski holidays
@Snow&skifan,
Topreviewed at Tripadvisor (and your favorite Booking) nowadays also means: most booked via Tripadvisor.
And most booked by Tripadvisor by definition means that these hotels are NOT the best hotels you can get, since such hotels are very seldom available at TA….
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy