Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA changes cabin luggage policy

Poster: A snowHead
British Airways will change its hand luggage policies from July. There will be no hand luggage weight limit (providing you can lift it into an overhead locker unaided), with a maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm (22 x 18 x 10 inches), plus a laptop or handbag (which must be small enough to fit underneath the seat in front of you). This applies to economy or business class. The current weight allowance for cabin luggage is 6kg in economy, although I don't think this is strictly enforced for every flight.

Apparently BA is also likely to change its hold luggage policy in the autumn, possibly reducing the weight allowance from 32kg to 23kg.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

Apparently BA is also likely to change its hold luggage policy in the autumn, possibly reducing the weight allowance from 32kg to 23kg.

It already is 23kg on european and international routes except to USA/Canada the a few other places where the piece systems applies, unless you are in business or first class.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, Sounds to me like good news. Additional weight allowance effectively.

Do we know how this affected by BAA's comments of a few weeks ago regarding Laptops as separate luggage pieces??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, I'm happy with the change as I mostly fly with just hand luggage, and the old BA limit was a bit tight sometimes. I think that the airlines are coming into line with as hand luggage allowances, so I'm not sure what interest BAA has in this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, BAA a few weeks ago had some sort of announcement that they were (at Heathrow anyway) going to enforce a single piece of handluggage limit and laptops in bags were going to be waved through if you had any other handluggage. Or something like that.

So if you had (as I sometimes do) a largish case with stuff for a several day business trip and have the laptop in a sleeve in the case then not only would you have to remove the laptop at scanning but it would then be treated as your sole allowed piece of handluggage.

Anyway, I haven't seen any effects and there was some question as to who your contract was with. I.e. if BA say unlimited weight with 22/10/8 dimensions and a second bag for laptop, etc. then who were BAA to say anything as your contract is with BA and BAA are subcontracting to them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BA is far better than the budget carriers on luggage allowances in general, so no complaints from me.

Having said that, I do not take a lot as hand luggage anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't say I'm in favour of reducing baggage limits - 2 pairs of skis and a snowboard will comfortably go in a cofin bag with 2 pairs of boots but you start pushing 32kg. Effectively this will mean they'll end up with more bags to check.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm confused...what will the score be if i'm taking a ski bag with 2 pairs of skis in it and a holdall??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cant understand the 32kg per bag limit. The 20kg per bag limit will surely be the norm within a couple of years due to manual handling regs. Rightly so in my view, imagine lugging them for a living.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, i thought that all BAA were doing was asking people to remove laptops from hand luggage as you go through security. If BAA are dictating to BA how much hand luggage you are allowed, it really would be a case of the tail wagging the dog...

(I could now go into a separate rant about the inefficient mess that is security at Heathrow Terminal 4, but that's off topic)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, apparantly 32kgs is the magic number as far as the conveyor systems are concerned at the airports.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, IIRC (which I may not) they were treating laptops in laptop bags as separate items - whereas previously there was some latitude. It doesn't seem to have been enforced...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, AFAIK 32kg is the max weight they consider safe for the operatives to lift under health & safety regs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Yes, but this figure will come down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently its aimed at reducing airport costs, with the view that fewer people will check in hold luggage if more goes in the cabin. On UK short flights they "Valet" your hand luggage, taking it from you at the steps and returning it similarly on arrival, and on the sevice to Lyon in the small Embrairs I think that this would still apply.

I can't see many of us snowHead snowHead being either helped or hindered by the change in hand luggage regs as skis and boots will still have to go in the hold.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, actually, I have quite often (esp. heliskiing) taken boots as handluggage...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy