Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb half term with fam, flying to Turin- resort recs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve just made the most of easyJet releasing flights for next winter and booked Feb half term week flying to Turin.

Looking for recommendations of resorts accessible that would be good for a family.

1 adult intermediate-advanced skiier (happy to sacrifice the black runs for the sake of the kids)
1 non skiing adult
2 intermediate children who will need lessons
1 & 3 year old- if there is a creche or kindergarten around that would be a bonus.
Looking for SELF CATERING accommodation close to slopes, pref ski in ski out, with maybe some other activities in resort such as swimming pool.

I am aware of pila, sauze, cervinia. We have been to puy st Vincent before.
Any other gems out there that may not be as well known and tick the boxes?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Thuile is pretty reliable for snow and has some accommodation very close to the lifts.
Montgenevre likewise.
Through the Frejus tunnel the Maurienne valley has quite a few decent resorts Val Cenis is very pleasant.
I don't know when your half term is and how it coincided with French dates but if they are close to the Paris holidays I'd stick with Italy.

Bardonechia is also meant to be very pleasant but I've never been.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This resource gives a useful overview of resorts in Italy...

https://www.bergfex.com/italien/

Visited both, so I'd second the recommendations of La Thuile in Aosta Valley & Montgenevre just over the border in France for what you need.

Both decent size ski areas with ski schools for the older kids. Not sure about creches for the little ones. A few blacks for the expert. Not a huge amount to keep non-skiers occupied, but few resorts are geared up for that.

Bardonecchia may have a bit more going on for the non-skier as it's more of a proper town in a big mountain setting, but I've not visited it either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pre St Didier, 10 mins from La Thuile is nice for non skiers. Pretty sure there are daily buses. Also non skiers can take gondola up and join for lunch etc. Friend of ours hired snowshoes and walked up the blue run from top of gondola to access nicer restaurants with us, but sure you could also manage in walking boots, regular snow boots.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sestriere (obviously also part of Via Latea too) has quick access from Turin, lovely open plateau to have all family centrally located with very easy access generally for a typical family ski day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just came across this thread. In a very similar situation to the OP.
Cheapish flights to Turin currently available. But have no experience of Italy or the French resorts over the border. Requirements are:
Self catering accommodation as close to lifts and ski school as possible so the adults can make the most of the time the kids are in school.
Won't have a car so won't be driving to nearby resorts or lifts. Really need the convenience of being able to ski without any buses / faffing about!
Adults are intermediates. Would cover decent ground normally but we'll be limited to the times the kids are in school. So I'm guessing we'll mostly be confined to the resort we choose.
Night life/apres irrelevant to us. Glass of wine for the adults and a crepe/pizza for the kids will be perfect.

Can travel late January (prob 28th) or mid March. Slight preference for late January at the moment.
From research to date it looks like our best options are Montgenèvre, Sestriere and La Thuille. Anyone with any strong opinions or advice it would be most welcome.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After a lot of researching I’ve decided on Pila. I need childcare for the little ones and it seems like there’s a decent one there! Ticks all the boxes as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adriangrogan wrote:
Cheapish flights to Turin currently available. But have no experience of Italy or the French resorts over the border. Requirements are:
Self catering accommodation as close to lifts and ski school as possible so the adults can make the most of the time the kids are in school.
Won't have a car so won't be driving to nearby resorts or lifts. Really need the convenience of being able to ski without any buses / faffing about!
Adults are intermediates. Would cover decent ground normally but we'll be limited to the times the kids are in school. So I'm guessing we'll mostly be confined to the resort we choose.
Night life/apres irrelevant to us. Glass of wine for the adults and a crepe/pizza for the kids will be perfect.

Can travel late January (prob 28th) or mid March. Slight preference for late January at the moment.
From research to date it looks like our best options are Montgenèvre, Sestriere and La Thuille. Anyone with any strong opinions or advice it would be most welcome.

Thanks

Interested to know where you decided on? We are in similar situation for late Jan. We were thinking Cervinia but concerned about bad weather in Jan closing resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Costaerer, see youve decided on a resort but do consider Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent. Child care is excellent, lovely quiet slopes. Worth a look and only 2/2.5hrs from Turin. We’ve just been only looking at diff resorts to try somewhere with a bit bigger ski area and snowbizz booked for the weeks we can go
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whizz124 wrote:
@Costaerer, see youve decided on a resort but do consider Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent. Child care is excellent, lovely quiet slopes. Worth a look and only 2/2.5hrs from Turin. We’ve just been only looking at diff resorts to try somewhere with a bit bigger ski area and snowbizz booked for the weeks we can go

We’ve been to snowbizz before and would 100% go again, it was the most fantastic holiday. But it will probably cost us about £2000 more to go during feb half term week then to DIY the holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CosmoJo wrote:
adriangrogan wrote:

Thanks

Interested to know where you decided on? We are in similar situation for late Jan. We were thinking Cervinia but concerned about bad weather in Jan closing resort.

We haven't booked yet. We've had extended family travel with us on our last couple of trips and they're not in a position to commit to next year just yet. I'm tempted to just book our flights to Turin and piece the rest of the trip together during the Summer as the flights probably won't be any cheaper than they are right now.
At the moment I'm leaning towards Montgenevre. I've got quotes for apartments from https://www.go-montgenevre.com/ The apartments look pretty decent and well located.
We're also leaning towards late January as opposed to March. Our March trips have been very warm and slushy but then again that's now always a bad thing compared to potentially harsh weather in January. I guess it's always a bit of a lottery.
Let me know if you are looking at any accommodation in Cervinia as it is probably my second preference at the moment and I would like to try Italy for a change!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@adriangrogan We stayed Montgenevre a few years back. I really liked it - quiet village, good skiing. We skied in Jan and had one day of lifts being closed due to weather but found a little off piste area accessed from drag lift that was perfect for the kids to practise skiing.
We stayed here - https://www.go-montgenevre.com/en/complex/le-hameau-des-airelles. Self catering with pool. Short walk to restaurants and you can ski back to the hotel but most of the skiing was from the other side of the resort (short walk). Hotel had a bit of wear and tear but pool was great.
I am struggling to find accommodation in Italy to meet our needs and still not sure on Cervinia due to weather. Looking at Pila now.
We just booked flights to get the best price and are sorting out the rest now Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy