Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-catering advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Kettonskimum1971, I get what you mean now, was confused there for a second.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name,
Quote:

If anyone's watching, Jenlain Brune particularly appreciated, thanks.

maybe thats where i went wrong, it was only kronenbourg!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
...emptying the dishwasher...

This is one that really gets me (and usually ignored), especially when you're talking about a chalet for 12.

Personally I'd much rather turn up to find all the dishes in a clean, clearly run dishwasher and have to unpack it than turn up to find them all in the cupboards...but no sign of any washing up liquid/cloths by the sink. Sure maybe the previous week dishwashered over night and skipped breakfast, or were driving and had breadkfast/washed up in the sink/took their washing up liquid/cloths home with them, but there's always the though maybe they DIDN'T, so the breakfast dishes just got a rinse under the tap and shoved on the shelf...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree, @Mjit. It comes from a fetish for making sure things "look good". Like objecting if a previous renter left some (full) bottles of beer untidily around the place or didn't fold up a blanket sufficiently neatly. But the washing up liquid might, of course, have been snaffled by the cleaners/proprietor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
It comes from a fetish for making sure things "look good".

Yep, I mean it's critical that all the cultlery/plates/pots/etc are in the correct place for the new guests when they arrive. I mean how do you expect the following week's guests (who've never stayed there before so have no idea where anything is) to find anything if they aren't?!?! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Yep, I mean it's critical that all the cultlery/plates/pots/etc are in the correct place for the new guests when they arrive.

I like it. I have arrived at places to find plates in the wardrobe, knifes, forks, etc in a drawer in the salon, salad spinners in equally odd places. One of the great pleasures of arriving in a rented apartment is finding out just where everything is and translating the inventory. I have a friend who didn't know what a salad spinner was (excellent for spin drying socks)

TBH I am very wary of opened bottles of anything, including brandy and herbs. Just about the only foodstuff I'd use would be the salt. I have no qualms about the toilet paper, however.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I have no qualms about the toilet paper, however

How dull life would be without taking the odd risk, eh @johnE?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've SC as 3 couples (plus 2 kids) 3 times.

We do - 1 night each per couple, 1 night girls, 1 night boys, 1 night takeaway pizza, 1 night eat out.

Food is basic and tasty - spaghetti bolognaise, fajitas, fish pie, jacket spuds with loads of toppings, 'picky' tapas style dinner etc. We all eat together early. The couple of who cooks does the washing up (loads the dishwasher - we never rent a place without a dishwasher).

We do an online shop to be delivered the first day (or next morning if late arrival - we have 1 non skier who is happy to wait in for it). Some things get taken from home - fajita wraps and seasoning spring to mind. And teabags - I'm fussy!
We plan meals before we go (not necessarily which day, but roughly which dishes).
Extra bits picked up as and when (milk, treats, bread etc)

Breakfast is cereal, bread/toast, yogurt, fruit. Table laid up with everything in the middle (not fridge stuff) and bowls, plates, cutlery out ready. Makes it a lot less stressful getting everyone up and out in time for ski school (only the kids go, but we all leave at the same time so we can ski together).

Everything gets paid for on one credit card and then total cost divided up afterwards. When everyone lunches/drinks together that all goes on the same card for division at the end too. Makes everything so much easier (we all tend to have similar things at lunchtime, so it's all much of a muchness).

It all sounds a bit regimented, but it's really not. We have a spreadsheet which dates back to our first trip together with our meal plan and shopping list, and that just gets tweaked each time. If we all decided to go next week (I wish), it could be organised in a flash!

I always said I'd never do SC for a ski holiday, but for a group, if you're not worried about going out drinking in the evenings, it works perfectly. We have a couple of drinks straight off the slopes and then head home.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always self-cater, and always have. With 4 kids we have always found the space and running to your own time-table is much more pleasant than being cooped up in hotel rooms. And I actually enjoy the company of my children so have never been a fan of all day ski school followed by supervised play, then early "kids dinner" so they can be shuffled off early and parents can enjoy an "adult" evening. I just don't get it.

Yes you can plan a week of self-catering down to the last detail, and I am sure that will work well. We never have, and the only things we take are tea bags (for Mrs Z), a sharp knife and some dishwasher tablets (many places do not supply). Breakfast is variable depending on who gets up early, and often skipped by teenagers anyway. I often make scrambled eggs and whoever is up has some. Those that skip generally grab a pastry to eat on the lift up or stop for a drink and pastry on the mountain. We generally have a good lunch on the hill. Eat out a couple of nights a week. Other nights generally lots of good bread, cheese, meats, salad often bolstered with some tune been salad/caprese and maybe some local sausages etc. Or raclette/fondue. All the alpine regions have great local produce of this nature to be explored and enjoyed. Add local wine and a very pleasant evening is had by all. Loading the dishwasher is no bother every night, and as I am an early riser I empty it in the morning. We have never really put much thought into it and have never seen it as a chore. It really is not anything like hard work, especially if you don't attempt to have complicated three course meals every night!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I usually take coffee filter papers as well, although @pam w, and @johnE, may have no qualms about using the toilet paper provided I don't really want to use it if I don't know it's providence for coffee filtration and whereas you can almost always buy coffee for the first morning from a baker or whatever filter papers may not be available.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I don't really want to use it if I don't know it's providence for coffee filtration

Laughing I can't remember when I last used coffee filters papers. Good idea to take them with you - after all, the previous occupants might have rinsed out the toilet paper and left it to dry on a radiator? Anyway, toilet paper, even on its first outing, makes for poor filtration - just disintegrates.

I wouldn't bother with a great deal of planning for a single family self-catering holiday but for a big group - four couples in the case of the OP - some prior planning and coordination can free up a lot of the scarce, valuable, time you have in resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy