Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I went skiing and I forgot....what?

Poster: A snowHead
hyperkub wrote:
I once got onto a drag lift having forgotten to put my skis on. The liftie laughed a lot and I felt a complete fool.

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I once left all my CHF's on my bed at home, didn't even twig until i got to the resort!

I panicked for about a minute then realised i had an empty credit card for emergencies! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welshskier wrote:
Remembered how to ski quite quickly last month but forgot how to speak French!

That happened to me in November but with German! At breakfast on the first day after not skiing for about 2 years what with the Covid stuff I realised I couldn’t speak German anymore.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jamescollings, I take it you have earphones in then to listen to it?
I couldn’t do that as I like to be able to hear what’s going on when driving especially a right hand drive car, I can’t ride my bike with earphones in either.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyperkub wrote:
I once got onto a drag lift having forgotten to put my skis on. The liftie laughed a lot and I felt a complete fool.

This has to be the winner.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went skiing for a day for the first time in many years on my trip this year and I forgot how damn uncomfortable rental ski boots are.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyperkub wrote:

I have in several occasions skied right into the gondola loading station! Had to hurry to take them off!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@jamescollings, I take it you have earphones in then to listen to it?.

Obviously not... because in France it is illegal to drive with headphones on!!!! (who knew eh?)
But if i DID have headphones... it would only be a single earpiece so that I could still hear the engine note/road noise/etc.

@ster It was a slightly surreal experience to begin with.. but then it became quite addictive (after an hour or so)... trying to guess which chapter would come next, and seeing how quick I could recognise where I was in the story from the words being spoken.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs endo, the alarm clock....... From this morning, " Oh s*** the alarm didn't go off". Luckily we were only 30 minutes leaving and got to the tunnel on time...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not skiing related, but...
20 years ago or so, my parents bought a small flat in Nice; shortly after @EmmaJ & I were the first to book it for a holiday. As the Eurostar pulled out of Waterloo (yes, that long ago) we realised that we had left the keys to the flat on our kitchen table.

Fast forward to last October; @EmmaJ and I were the last to have a holiday in this much-loved flat, shortly before it's sale to another owner. As we raced down the motorway to Bristol airport, late as ever, we remembered that we'd left behind the keys to the flat... on the kitchen table.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jamescollings wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@jamescollings, I take it you have earphones in then to listen to it?.

Obviously not... because in France it is illegal to drive with headphones on!!!! (who knew eh?)
But if i DID have headphones... it would only be a single earpiece so that I could still hear the engine note/road noise/etc.

@ster It was a slightly surreal experience to begin with.. but then it became quite addictive (after an hour or so)... trying to guess which chapter would come next, and seeing how quick I could recognise where I was in the story from the words being spoken.

Come to think of it I think it may be illegal in the UK too?
Edit-actually no it isn’t illegal but the Police can pull you over for ‘driving without due care and attention’ so it may as well be illegal.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 3-03-22 18:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I forgot my skis once but luckily only got 5 mins down the road when I remembered.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not me, but I had a friend who bought skis after a lifetime of renting, but when he got to baggage reclaim in Geneva totally forgot about them and it wasn't until the rep on the bus asked if he needed rental kit that he remembered....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, we have also forgotten our keys, but fortunately have someone locally with a set.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Driving licence, with a hire car waiting for me!

Hertz I think it was turned me away.

Then I got incredibly lucky - Europcar had a desk. They had me on their database from hiring from them a few years before elsewhere. They got me to call a dedicated DVLA section and request an emailed (to them) copy of my licence. All sorted quickly.

I’d never have lived down that blunder, from my wife.
snow conditions
flaming wrote:
Not me, but I had a friend who bought skis after a lifetime of renting, but when he got to baggage reclaim in Geneva totally forgot about them and it wasn't until the rep on the bus asked if he needed rental kit that he remembered....

My favourite so far! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Several years ago when the kids were 6 & 8 yrs old we were about to set off from Les Gets for the drive home. Rental apartment cleaned and locked up, I was squeezing the last bits in the roof box and getting the kids strapped in, my wife said she'd walk to the bakery go get some baguettes for the drive home and I could pick her up on the way past.

I was just exiting the roundabout near Perrieres lift on the edge of the village when a small voice from the back seat said "daddy, where's mummy?" Shocked

They're 15 and 13 now and still blackmail me with that one. Embarassed rolling eyes
ski holidays
@DeuxBieres, Laughing
snow report
Left my ski bootbag on the carousel at Gatwick airport coming home once. Not a problem, went back next day to collect it. But anyone opening it would have had a smelly surprise it also contained a very large lump of raclette cheese
latest report
I had a massive near miss a few years ago- left a whole hand luggage rucksack (!) including passport/boarding pass etc in my car that was parked in the Silver Zone at Bristol Airport and only realised when came to check in! Cuean anxious wait getting the bus back (with hardly anyone in it...) and I just had to push in in the queue when in got to the security stage or else I would have missed the flight...
snow report
First trip boarding after skiing for years, forgot i was on a board instead of my beloved bbrs as i tried to chase the rest of the skiers!
snow conditions
dode wrote:
...Back in the day, when virtually everyone wore skin-tight stretchy ski pants (aka race pants, at the time), I seem to remember that salopettes was a term reserved for the baggy, more insulated, trousers.
I think you'll find (well, I did, when I just googled to check) that the term is specific to pants with a bib and braces, which tallies with my own memory.
Even then you could get "ski pants" (for blokes) which did not have the bib or braces. Just like now, really.
Despite the sound of it, I think the word may be mostly used by British people - I've never heard anyone in north America use the term.

Um. I have a packing list, so even if I do forget stuff, I can't.
latest report
It wasn't me but one of my colleagues at the end of the season had lost his UK passport. When the coach got to Calais, he decided to hide in the toilet on the bus. Suffice to say he was immediately found, questioned, and held up for hours while the foreign office issued him a temporary passport. That was a long 27hour bus journey.
ski holidays
tomj wrote:
Not skiing related, but...
20 years ago or so, my parents bought a small flat in Nice; shortly after @EmmaJ & I were the first to book it for a holiday. As the Eurostar pulled out of Waterloo (yes, that long ago) we realised that we had left the keys to the flat on our kitchen table.

Fast forward to last October; @EmmaJ and I were the last to have a holiday in this much-loved flat, shortly before it's sale to another owner. As we raced down the motorway to Bristol airport, late as ever, we remembered that we'd left behind the keys to the flat... on the kitchen table.

Have done the same at our other house so i put a keybox in for exactly that situation and the very strict rule is use the key to open the house and PUT THEY KEY BACK IN THE BOX !

On topic I have managed more than once to breeze through GVA baggage without claiming my bag as I am a complete eejit, it was confusing as I was going backwards and forwards to the house a lot and didn't always have a bag. Every single time I managed to persuade them to get me it and more than once it was the same guy who just laughed at me !
ski holidays
After a tiring day of powder skiing last week in Tignes, I sat on the stairs (in the stairwell) of our apartment block to take my boots off. The light switch didn't work and I took the boots off in the dark. As a result, I didn't see my ski gloves as I picked up the boots and left...Of course they were gone by the time I realised the morning after rolling eyes

Not convinced by the ski shop assistant who said that, given the forecast, I would definitely need down-filled gloves at €140 a pop Shocked €54 was the cheapest I could find (as I had spares at home) after visiting four shops - for a pair that would probably be £20 or less in TK Maxx or Sports Direct Confused

Lesson learned...
snow report
On a lads trip to ADH I realised I'd left my ski jacket at home when we were getting everything out of the car to head to check in. Too far to go back and get it. Thankfully my mate who was more organised than me and had packed two jackets lent me one for the week !!
snow report
all my woes and troubles Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
One year in Feb half term we were pleased to be packed and leaving PSV at about 7.00am beating all the traffic. Traffic the other way was building. A further hour down the road it was realised that the passports were still in the "secret" hiding place. Crawled into resort at lunchtime, and obviously reception is shut for lunch. Passports in hand head back down the mountain, only to join a big queue due to some people protesting about skidoo ban or something, through that, then heading up through serre chevalier to then discover the col d'lautret is shut. As we passed the bottom of PSV to head back via gap 9 hours later, one thing was certain, passports will no longer be kept in the saucepans.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
After a tiring day of powder skiing last week in Tignes, I sat on the stairs (in the stairwell) of our apartment block to take my boots off. The light switch didn't work and I took the boots off in the dark. As a result, I didn't see my ski gloves as I picked up the boots and left...Of course they were gone by the time I realised the morning after rolling eyes

Not convinced by the ski shop assistant who said that, given the forecast, I would definitely need down-filled gloves at €140 a pop Shocked €54 was the cheapest I could find (as I had spares at home) after visiting four shops - for a pair that would probably be £20 or less in TK Maxx or Sports Direct Confused

Lesson learned...

First ski trip. Son2 managed to leave his buff on the bus from Salzburg airport to the train station. I left my sunglasses in one of the mountain restaurants later that same week. Went back the next day, but they were gone. Same trip, Son1 got holes in his gloves on day 2. Gave him mine and then spent 50 euros on a new pair for me (which are lovely incidentally).

This ski trip. I managed to lose both my new hat and my buff at some point. Suspect they fell out of my pocket whilst in the supermarket. 20 euros was the cheapest buff I could find. Almost identical to Son1s £4 one from Lidl.

My favourite on this thread is the forgotten wife or forgotten skis on the lift so far.
ski holidays
I have quite a collection of poles hastily bought in resort when I arrive and find I haven’t brought any with me. One time I was driving to Heathrow to fly out on Offpisteskiing’s first trip to Kyrgyzstan and remembered that I hadn’t packed my poles. I didn’t really know what to expect when we arrived in Kyrg and was worried that there would be no kit shop and I’d end up having to fashion something out of a tree branch. This led to a very rapid detour to Ski Bartlett and catching the plane with about 5 mins to spare Embarassed
ski holidays
joe1978 wrote:
Over seperate trips I have....
Left my ski jacket on my mates stair bannister and didn't realise until after security at edinburgh airport (i live in newcastle).
Packed a full bag with no base layers but 3 jackets!?
On a 4 day boys trip to Saalbach misplaced the return train tickets for all 8 of us, probably while drinking on the train trip out but didn't realise until hungover at 8am sunday morning on the return day.
Our group has lost countless lift passes in Apres Bars ALWAY TAKE A PHOTO OF THE PASS!
A friend forgot to pack the top part of his Flow bindings and had to hire a set in resort.

Not lost but while arriving in Geneva for a big group/family holiday I picked up my friends kids pram to lend a hand. I then found them outside with the kid in the exact same pram and had to get it back through the other side of security for the rightful owner, ooops.

Joe

and your friends and family still trust you??
ski holidays
Quote:

On a lads trip to ADH I realised I'd left my ski jacket at home when we were getting everything out of the car to head to check in.

Ahh, that reminds me that on our first driving trip to Cham (mid-90s) we had a roofbox on the car. When we got to Dover for the channel crossing we noticed the roof box was open. My mate's ski jacket had fallen out e-route. Slight drift there sorry.
snow report
A family friend packed the salopettes that her son had grown out of the year before - oops! Luckily managed to borrow a pair for the week.

Turing that on its head, we had enough spare gear to kit out a family of 4 when one of their 2 suitcases didn't make it to the luggage carousel on a different ski trip. It did eventually turn up at the hotel a day late.
snow report
Anyone else forget to take one of their kids, or was that just me. rolling eyes

Not checking one of my 6 kids passport expiry dates cost me £3 grand to sort out at the airport and then £14k the following year to repeat.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy