Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you bring first timers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would also recommend Cervinia, plenty of skiing for beginners, fabulous scenery, great food and overall good value.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all the replies. I’ll have a look at Alpe d’Huez. I haven’t skied there in about 15 years and as well as being suitable for the kids would be good for us dads too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from a week in La Thuile with our 10 year old first timer. She LOVED ski school. Excellent instructors-Italian instructors are ex ski racers. Small groups & my daughter had 2 instructors with her group. Slopes are quiet & wide. First time my husband & I have skied Italy & we loved it. Ski pass much cheaper too. No point paying for a ski pass to cover a huge area in France or Austria that you won’t be able to use when you have the children.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yellow Snow wrote:
Ottoline wrote:
I would recommend Austria for beginners as ski school operates morning and afternoon. They'll get maximum tuition, allowing you to ski at your level. They'll be intermediate by the end of the week!

Sorry.....but precisely why I wouldn't recommend Austria for a first trip. I would be so looking forward to skiing with the girls that I wouldn't want them in ski school all day - plus being in tuition all day would feel like a crash course. That Germanic approach would have got me so much moaning from my two, who thrived on doing in the afternoon what they had learned at ski school in the morning, with me alongside. Plus the girls may want an afternoon in the sports centre or a pamper or just mooching around the village. ADH is a delight for that

It's an option not a command isn't it?
+1 for Austria
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My experience of ADH was that the blue runs back to the village were a terrible option in the afternoons. They were so chewed up and moguly, and really crowded. Such a stressful experience! As a beginner, it would have put me right off. We found the reds to be by far the better option (but that's not appropriate for beginners).

Les Gets I think is good for beginners. I remember some quite nice slopes there. I went in a mixed ability group and the total beginners had a good week.

THere is something to be said for Austrian ski school though. You don't have to do full days all week - you could still ski together some of the time. We've done Kitzbuhel with complete beginners and it was a great option.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I took my husband to Andorra to learn, I also had lessons too. All lessons are in fluent and I mean fluent English or with English instructors. The area is perfect for beginners and early intermediates who are still finding their feet - I had not skied since school (just the 23 years) and found it great for building confidence. Large ski area, good lifts and fantastic facilities. And it’s all tax free so very reasonable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Andorra (Grandvalira) V good ski school in Soldeu, I've been skiing for many years and still learnt something new. Loads of confidence building blues and lift system/slope maintenance is excellent. The gentler rounded and benign climate of the Eastern Pyrenees compared to the Alps means that you rarely come across really unfavourable conditions (e.g slopes more likely to be grassy than rocky when worn of snow and don't often get sheet ice plaques). Only downside is that there are not much in the way of alternative facilities if skiing is providing a drag.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are looking for easy ski back and nice pistes, you could look at Obergurgl, Lech, St. Foy and very much agree with montgeneve.

Puy st Vincent also has good reputation, but I've not been there. The other area is Serfaus, very good reputation as well but not skied it.

Obergurgl is a bit longer to get to as no direct flights to Innsbruck from Dublin.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy