Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Switzerland from the UK via France and back - what to think about in Covid times

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to drive to Switzerland in Feb in our GB reg car, via the Eurotunnel, through France and to the Verbier area. We will leave the UK in the morning on Friday 18th Feb, drive to Dijon, stay there overnight and then continue driving to Switzerland the following morning, more than 24 hours after leaving the UK. We are planning to do antigen tests in the 24 hours before boarding the Eurotunnel (hubby, I and our double vaxed teens). On the way back, we are planning to leave Switzerland in the morning on Sat 26th Feb, drive to Dijon and stay there overnight before continuing to Calais the following morning. We are planning to drive on the major motorways with tolls.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Are we likely to get stopped when entering Switzerland from France in our GB reg car to show passports, negative covid tests and Covid paper work?
3. Are we likely to get stopped when entering France from Switzerland on the way back to show passports, negative covid tests and Covid paper work? Will we need to do any Covid tests before entering France from Switzerland in our GB reg car?

Any information on this topic would be useful thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Motherofthree wrote:
We are going to drive to Switzerland in Feb in our GB reg car, via the Eurotunnel, through France and to the Verbier area. We will leave the UK in the morning on Friday 18th Feb, drive to Dijon, stay there overnight and then continue driving to Switzerland the following morning, more than 24 hours after leaving the UK. We are planning to do antigen tests in the 24 hours before boarding the Eurotunnel (hubby, I and our double vaxed teens). On the way back, we are planning to leave Switzerland in the morning on Sat 26th Feb, drive to Dijon and stay there overnight before continuing to Calais the following morning. We are planning to drive on the major motorways with tolls.

1. Are we likely to get stopped when entering Switzerland from France in our GB reg car to show passports, negative covid tests and Covid paper work?
3. Are we likely to get stopped when entering France from Switzerland on the way back to show passports, negative covid tests and Covid paper work? Will we need to do any Covid tests before entering France from Switzerland in our GB reg car?

You need UK reg car not GB reg car. Things have changed: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HilbertSpace wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:

You need UK reg car not GB reg car. Things have changed: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Thanks, good point.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a lot in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158013&start=40
You need tests going into CH and into France. We found we can get free LFTs in Zermatt for the return, not sure if that's general.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But maybe you know what the rules are, and are just asking what the chance is of being stopped if you don't follow them?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of threads on the subject and what is needed : have a look around the forum
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Make sure you don’t run out of petrol (or diesel, or electrons)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends where you are crossing.
Depends what the officials feel like on the day.
Depends whether you are displaying a valid Swiss motorway vignette.
Depends on how guilty you look.
The likelihood of being stopped always seems to be inversely proportional to how well prepared you are.
Conversely it is proportional to how rammed and badly packed your car is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2 Thanks for your reply and for mentioning the Swiss motorway vignette, I wasn’t aware of this and will get one before we go. I’m wondering if the likelihood of being stopped at the border is greater if you drive a British car, rather than a Swiss or French one? Also it seems to be the case that you don’t need to do a Covid test when entering France from Switzerland, have I understood this correctly? Thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
caughtanedge wrote:
Quite a lot in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158013&start=40
You need tests going into CH and into France. We found we can get free LFTs in Zermatt for the return, not sure if that's general.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I’m aware we need Covid tests before entering France and Switzerland on the way to the Swiss ski resort, but my impression is that this is not needed when going back to France from Switzerland on the way back to England. Is this correct?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes the requirements for the return to France seem unclear. The rules for entry to France from Switzerland are here: https://ch.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-entree-en-France-et-passe-sanitaire#Rappel-de-vaccin-et-passe-sanitaire but they seems there's no distinction for non-Swiss travellers. To be on the safe side, we've booked free LFTs which the pharmacy say are valid in France.
Also need a 'déclaration d'honneur' / sworn statement for the return, I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Motherofthree wrote:
... the Swiss motorway vignette, I wasn’t aware of this and will get one before we go. ...

You can order one online from the likes of The Swiss Travel Centre in London, for an apparent £31.50 but along with other suppliers, not only do they charge +£8 for postage ( a bit pricey, but tolerable), they've introduced a stonking 'handling fee' of a further +£20 that they don't mention 'till the very last part of the payment process. I've checked and all the UK retailers now do something similar. So we now just buy ours at the border or a petrol station nearby. At the border, it's CHF 40 (£32). Where we transit at Creux, there's a separate lane for buying vignettes after the customs: during the day, there's an outdoor ticket seller walking down the line of cars, or out of hours, there's a machine. The BP Garage opposite also sells them.

Tip: If you go the Besançon » Pontarlier » Creux (Vallorbe) route to Lausanne, be aware that the long downhill road from the border to the Autoroute is mostly 80 Kph limit, so don't go mad with relief having got through the border - 50 mph is hard to keep to on the downhill stretch and there are speed cameras. And no, you've not got synaesthesia, as you descend it is coffee that you can smell - there's a big coffee factory in Orbe.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 20-01-22 17:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've ordered my 2022 vignette from https://www.tolltickets.com/ EUR 41.50 including postage. Used them a couple of years ago no problems, it comes from Germany.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great suggestion from @caughtanedge as I'd given up searching after wasting my time with the UK retailers. Useful info. And as @Valais2 implies, if you have a vignette already on the car then there's less chance the border officials will stop you to point out the omission, given it's a foreign car. Which means less chance they'll bother to ask for documentation. Just make sure that EU-based resellers can actually deliver in time if you're travelling soon, as some EU deliveries into the UK are being held up by Brexit paperwork.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 19-01-22 22:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...and saves leaning over trying to position the sticker perfectly on the windscreen without ripping it, when all you want to do is get going..
snow report
caughtanedge wrote:
Yes the requirements for the return to France seem unclear. The rules for entry to France from Switzerland are here: https://ch.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-entree-en-France-et-passe-sanitaire#Rappel-de-vaccin-et-passe-sanitaire but they seems there's no distinction for non-Swiss travellers. To be on the safe side, we've booked free LFTs which the pharmacy say are valid in France.
Also need a 'déclaration d'honneur' / sworn statement for the return, I think.

Thanks, you are right that this page doesn`t mention if there are different rules for Brits. But I think we will just wing it and not do any tests when driving back to France from Switzerland, and point to this page if we get asked for a negative covid test result at the border. Where did you book the free LFTs by the way?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-01-22 23:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
... the Swiss motorway vignette, I wasn’t aware of this and will get one before we go. ...

You can order one online from the likes of The Swiss Travel Centre in London, for an apparent £31.50 but along with other suppliers, not only do they charge +£8 for postage ( a bit pricey, but tolerable), they've introduced a stonking 'handling fee' of a further +£20 that they don't mention 'till the very last part of the payment process. I've checked and all the UK retailers now do something similar. So we now just buy ours at the border or a petrol station nearby. At the border, it's CHF 40 (£32). Where we transit at Creux, there's a separate lane for buying vignettes after the customs: during the day, there's an outdoor ticket seller walking down the line of cars, or out of hours, there's a machine. The BP Garage opposite also sells them.

Tip: If you go the Besançon » Pontarlier » Creux (Vallorbe) route to Lausanne, be aware that the long downhill road from the border to the Autoroute is mostly 80 Kph limit, so don't go mad with relief having got through the border - 50 mph is hard to keep to on the downhill stretch and there are speed cameras. And no, you've not got synaesthesia, as you descend it is coffee that you can smell - there's a big coffee factory in Vallorbe.

Thanks for the info, might be worth buying the vignette at the border then. We will be driving the quickest way from Calais to La Tzoumaz, via Lausanne.
ski holidays
caughtanedge wrote:
I've ordered my 2022 vignette from https://www.tolltickets.com/ EUR 41.50 including postage. Used them a couple of years ago no problems, it comes from Germany.

Thanks for the tip, this sounds like a good price as long as there are no extra charges at checkout. For us it would be worth paying a couple of extra £'s to be able to cross the border quicker.
snow report
DJL wrote:

Good point.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
DJL wrote:
Good point.

Eurotunnel let you carry charged fuel cans up to a certain capacity. We have a 5L Wavian Explosafe™ can, just as a backup if we get the distance-to-next-service-station wrong. There's a link to the relevant Eurotunnel page and the Wavian site in the Self-drive to the Swiss Alps guide I mentioned on the other thread. The ExploSafe™ cans have an internal honeycomb which prevents vapour leak in the event they're damaged, which is why they seem pricey.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
Where did you book the free LFTs by the way?

Apotheke Amavita (pharmacy): https://www.amavita.ch/de/amavita-apotheke-zermatt I did it by email directly with the shop, they were very helpful. It's a chain - I don't know if the free testing applies to all branches.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 20-01-22 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@LaForet, thanks for the tip, have just ordered a 5L ExploSafe can from Zoro (£23.99).
latest report
Thinking similar. My reading of this, currently is as follows :

Outbound:
Entering France from UK - Negative test under 24 hours prior to departure. Completion of sworn statement.
Entering CH from FR - provided the adults are vaccinated, adults and accompanying children don't need anything (no test nor PLF).

On return:
Entering FR from CH - Negative test 24 hours before entry for any unvaxxed over 12s. Vaxed no requirement.
Entering UK from FR - No departure test. Pre book day 2 test, complete PLF.
Day 2 UK - for everyone over 5.

Have I missed anything ?
snow conditions
I am going to throw the curved ball @Motherofthree, .....forget France!

Come out of the tunnel into Belgium then Germany. East side of the Rhine down Basel et voila you are on Swiss soil. German autobahn is fabulous and FREE third f would be fast!!!!
ski holidays
ViaMichelin says

▪ Via Basel = 934Kms, 10h 15m
▪ Via France = 850 kms, 8h 43m

remember that @Motherofthree is going to the Valais, not the Swiss resorts to the north/east.

I'd concede that ViaMichelin doesn't get the route quite right for mid-winter. It recommends going cross-country via Champagnole, which is fine in the summer but if it's at all snowy, I wouldn't want to do the segment on the B-Road from Champagnole to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs.

We come off the A39 Autoroute and take the A36 autoroute to Besançon, then the new by-pass to the N57-E23 to Pontarlier, and on to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs and the border at Creux.

We find we have to set the satnav to Besançon first, then set it to Pontarlier as we approach Besançon, then La Tzoumaz as we approach Pontarlier. The satnav also sometimes directs us through the centre of Pontarlier if the ring-road is busy. But having tried that, I'm not sure that it's been much quicker and worth the circumlocutions of driving throught the centre of the town.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-01-22 9:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Regarding entering France from Switzerland on your return leg you don't need a Covid test but you shoud complete a «Déclaration sur l'honneur»:

The Ministry of the Interior page references a regulations for those entering France from a Green country ('Déplacements internationaux .... pays vert') in which it states:

Je suis vacciné :
• Preuve d’une vaccination complète (vaccins reconnus par l’EMA**) • Pas de motif impérieux exigé • Test RT-PCR ou antigénique négatif de moins de 48h avant le départ (1) • Test antigénique à l’entrée sur le territoire métropolitain • Pas de mesure d’isolemen

(1) Sauf pour les arrivées en provenance d’un État membre de l'Union européenne, Andorre, d'Islande, du Liechtenstein, de Monaco, de la Norvège, de Saint-Marin, du Saint-Siège ou de la Suisse.

Which I translate as saying that entering CH from a green status country you still need a test <48h except as in note (1) - for arrivals from the EU, Andorra etc. or Switzerland.

i.e. at the moment, you don't need a test to enter France from Switzerland. BUT you still need to complete a «Déclaration sur l'honneur for a Green List Country». So you could pre-print one of these for each person and leave the date blank until the last minute, just in case, along with the «Déclaration» for the outbound Eurotunnel crossing.

This is in contrast to the UK Passenger Locator Form which can't be completed until you're within 48h of UK arrival i.e. at the end of the holiday. But if you wanted a paper copy of the UK PLF just as backup, then you could probably email the documents to the Tourist Office and I'm sure they would print them for you.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 20-01-22 22:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
DJL wrote:
Good point.

Eurotunnel let you carry charged fuel cans up to a certain capacity. We have a 5L Wavian Explosafe™ can, just as a backup if we get the distance-to-next-service-station wrong. There's a link to the relevant Eurotunnel page and the Wavian site in the Self-drive to the Swiss Alps guide I mentioned on the other thread. The ExploSafe™ cans have an internal honeycomb which prevents vapour leak in the event they're damaged, which is why they seem pricey.

Thanks for the tip and for the link to your website, lots of useful information there.
snow conditions
caughtanedge wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Where did you book the free LFTs by the way?

Apotheke Amavita (pharmacy): https://www.amavita.ch/de/amavita-apotheke-zermatt I did it by email directly with the shop, they were very helpful. It's a chain - I don't know if the free testing applies to all branches.

Thanks for the info, I hope the tests on the way back won't be necessary though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazzza wrote:
Thinking similar. My reading of this, currently is as follows :

Outbound:
Entering France from UK - Negative test under 24 hours prior to departure. Completion of sworn statement.
Entering CH from FR - provided the adults are vaccinated, adults and accompanying children don't need anything (no test nor PLF).

On return:
Entering FR from CH - Negative test 24 hours before entry for any unvaxxed over 12s. Vaxed no requirement.
Entering UK from FR - No departure test. Pre book day 2 test, complete PLF.

Have I missed anything ?

I think this is correct as things stand today. Heard that Switzerland have removed the requirement for testing for fully vaxxed people, which is great news for us.
ski holidays
Rogerdodger wrote:

Come out of the tunnel into Belgium then Germany. East side of the Rhine down Basel et voila you are on Swiss soil. German autobahn is fabulous and FREE third f would be fast!!!!

This sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wonder why not many people seem to drive this route to Switzerland? I can imagine it takes longer than driving through France...
latest report
LaForet wrote:
Regarding entering France from Switzerland on your return leg you don't need a Covid test but you shoud complete a «Déclaration sur l'honneur»:

The Ministry of the Interior page references a regulations for those entering France from a Green country ('Déplacements internationaux .... pays vert') in which it states:

Je suis vacciné :
• Preuve d’une vaccination complète (vaccins reconnus par l’EMA**) • Pas de motif impérieux exigé • Test RT-PCR ou antigénique négatif de moins de 48h avant le départ (1) • Test antigénique à l’entrée sur le territoire métropolitain • Pas de mesure d’isolemen

(1) Sauf pour les arrivées en provenance d’un État membre de l'Union européenne, Andorre, d'Islande, du Liechtenstein, de Monaco, de la Norvège, de Saint-Marin, du Saint-Siège ou de la Suisse.

Which I translate as saying that entering CH from a green status country you still need a test <48h except as in note (1) - for arrivals from the EU, Andorra etc. or Switzerland.

i.e. at the moment, you don't need a test to enter France from Switzerland. BUT you still need to complete a «Déclaration sur l'honneur for a Green List Country». So you could pre-print one of these for each person and leave the date blank until the last minute, just in case, along with the «Déclaration» for the outbound Eurotunnel crossing.

This is in contrast to the UK Passenger Locator Form which can't be completed until you're within 48h of UK arrival i.e. at the end of the holiday. But if you wanted a paper copy of the UK PLF just as backup, then you could probably email the documents to the Tourist Office and I'm sure they would print them for you.

I had no idea about this piece of paper to enter France from Switzerland, thanks for the info. Lots of paper work etc. to think about when driving it seems like.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
Rogerdodger wrote:

This sounds like a good idea in theory, but I wonder why not many people seem to drive this route to Switzerland? I can imagine it takes longer than driving through France...

It's much quicker through France, the other route is cheaper (no tolls and cheaper fuel) but for me to not worth the time saving if heading straight to and from the Alps.
latest report
Well I've just pulled the trigger and booked an appartment in Lauterbrunnen for Feb HT with a view to driving down. After Austria got cancelled at NY hope to make this one. Should be good never skied Switzerland before, and the Jungfrau area looks stunning.

Booking tunnel later today. Astounded to see Flexiplus has gone up from around 460 when I last used it in Feb 2019 to some £750 return for Feb half term. That's quite some inflation for 3 years so I may actually revert to a standard fare, especially as on our outbound time, there is only 1 crossing an hour anyway.

I plan to go the France route. Not sure if we will go Reims-Metz-Strasbourg-Mulhouse and cross at Basel, or maybe cut via Nancy, or alternatively avoid Basel and cross Reims-Troyes-Bersoul-Belfont and cross at Delle/Boncourt. I think with the kids in tow the Strasbourg route is more autoroute and an easier drive, they tend to complain when not on motorway routes.

I assume fuel and supermarkets are cheaper the French side of the border so worth a supermarket stop before crossing to CH ?
snow report
Thanks @LaForet, so the sworn statement needed both ways then. So return journey requirements now :

Outbound:

On return:
Entering FR from CH - Negative test 24 hours before entry for any unvaxxed over 12s. Vaxed or =<11 : no test requirement. Completion of sworn statement.
Entering UK from FR - No departure test. Pre book day 2 test for over 5's. complete PLF.
snow report
@Gazzza, the Strasbourg, Mulhouse, Basel run is sound.
From Basel it's good motorway to Solothurn, Bern, Interlaken then up the "glen" into Lauter's!!
Supermarkets in Interlaken probably a tad more expensive than France but don't forget we have Lidl and Aldi in Switzerland these days.
There are a few SHeads over here perhaps we should look into a meet up.
snow conditions
@Gazza FYI if your are stopped at CH customs inbound they are mainly interested in (a) pointing out that you need a vignette (b) limits on foodstuff imports and (c) checking for furniture imports (on which there's 7% VAT) and imports of hi-tech items like cameras. This might cause some misunderstanding - you'll be focusing on the Covid stuff while they're asking you about your shiny new DSLR camera equipment. On the principle that it's never a good idea to have a confused conversation with any customs official, just be prepared to say that you're aware of the import rules and you don't have anything other than holiday items.

There's a new app from Swiss Customs called 'QuickZoll' which has all the details of the latest customs allowances for entering Switzerland. The key thing is that the value of all the new goods imported over CHF 300 is liable for 7% VAT, and the limits are up to 5 litres of wine and 1 litre spirits per person, and meat 1Kg per person. Of course, they're mainly interested in people who are regularly crossing the border and trying to evade VAT and higher prices in CH by shifting loads of stuff across illegally. But they might be suspicious of a UK car if they think you're an apartment/chalet owner who is trying to import stuff for their property.

Oh, and talking of apps, I find the best weather app for Switzerland is their equivalent of the Met Office - 'MeteoSwiss'. The rain/snow 'Animations' is good for giving you a +72h animation of any incoming snow. You can easily add where you're staying in as a special location for weather alerts and a 5-day forecast.

Finally, before anyone says it, the odds are low that you'll even be stopped at the F:CH border. In the last seventy or so crossings since 2003 I think we've been stopped three times and only once been asked to open the car up and show what was in the boot. When we crossed last September, no one was interested, in either direction. But of course, the one time you don't have all the necessary official documentation, you're bound to get asked for it .....
snow conditions
just a small thing but you need to have UK sticker on your car not GB
if you regularly drive through France consider getting an emojis tag which means you don't have to get tickets out of the French toll booths. Costs £5 per month that you use it to get it and a bit to get it in the first place (deals available via Eurotunnel etc)
latest report
[quote="Gazzza"]Well I've just pulled the trigger and booked an appartment in Lauterbrunnen for Feb HT with a view to driving down. After Austria got cancelled at NY hope to make this one. Should be good never skied Switzerland before, and the Jungfrau area looks stunning.

Beware queues Feb half term for the tunnel. it can be a lot quicker and cheaper to get the ferry! we have been caught in horrible queue both ways Feb half term and always go by boat now.
Luxembourg is much cheaper for filling up fuel so you can go Belguim Luxembourg then Germany and avoid French Tolls

Jungfrau area is stunning but the indoor picnic rooms are all sadly closed (my husband is there at the moment)
snow report
7ncj wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Rogerdodger wrote:

It's much quicker through France, the other route is cheaper (no tolls and cheaper fuel) but for me to not worth the time saving if heading straight to and from the Alps.

I see, thanks for your reply. For us the most important thing is to get there as quickly as possible, so we'll stick to original plan which is driving to Les 4 Vallees via France.
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:
Well I've just pulled the trigger and booked an appartment in Lauterbrunnen for Feb HT with a view to driving down. After Austria got cancelled at NY hope to make this one. Should be good never skied Switzerland before, and the Jungfrau area looks stunning.

Booking tunnel later today. Astounded to see Flexiplus has gone up from around 460 when I last used it in Feb 2019 to some £750 return for Feb half term. That's quite some inflation for 3 years so I may actually revert to a standard fare, especially as on our outbound time, there is only 1 crossing an hour anyway.

I plan to go the France route. Not sure if we will go Reims-Metz-Strasbourg-Mulhouse and cross at Basel, or maybe cut via Nancy, or alternatively avoid Basel and cross Reims-Troyes-Bersoul-Belfont and cross at Delle/Boncourt. I think with the kids in tow the Strasbourg route is more autoroute and an easier drive, they tend to complain when not on motorway routes.

I assume fuel and supermarkets are cheaper the French side of the border so worth a supermarket stop before crossing to CH ?

We are also planning to do the big supermarket shop in France, rather than Switzerland. Not sure if there is a big difference in price, but I've heard wine is cheaper in France. We re-booked for Switzerland after our holiday to France got cancelled at NY.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy