Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Husband vs Wife - DIY vs Package

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks.
Just after some advice, mainly from those skiing/boarding with young kids. Quick background - skied since school days (now late 30's) but been out of the loop for a few years since we had our little financial burdens. They've both recently had an hours lesson at HH and loved it so we're keen to get them up into the mountains next winter. Obviously restricted slightly by school holidays (kids aged 7 & 5 when we go) so weighing up some options. I'm keen to drive to France somewhere, maybe St Sorlin D'Arves as it seems a little less well-known over here and therefore maybe a little quieter on the slopes, plus we may be able to keep costs down a little by taking provisions etc with us. My wife isn't so keen and has mentioned Bulgaria as it's generally cheaper, but I've heard mixed reports from there in terms of snow coverage (NYE week or even Easter is on the table so not sure how Bulgaria stacks up snow-wise in those dates). I've done enough ski holidays to be confident in getting everything booked if we went down the DIY route (equipment, lift passes, ski school) so that's my preference but really interested to know what others have done or would recommend.
Thanks in advance guys
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

maybe St Sorlin D'Arves as it seems a little less well-known over here and therefore maybe a little quieter on the slopes

This is not a reliable calculation as, oddly enough, the overwhelming majority of the people on the slopes in small French resorts are French...... and our half term always coincides with French holidays, so although February is usually reliable for snow, it's also an expensive and busy time in French resorts.

Personally, I'd choose driving to France too - but not at half term. And would definitely not choose Bulgaria - reports of massive, ridiculous, lift queues there in the last week or so.

As you're stuck with school holidays your first decision is whether to go Christmas, Easter or half term - and different arguments/criteria apply to all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

maybe St Sorlin D'Arves as it seems a little less well-known over here and therefore maybe a little quieter on the slopes

This is not a reliable calculation as, oddly enough, the overwhelming majority of the people on the slopes in small French resorts are French...... and our half term always coincides with French holidays, so although February is usually reliable for snow, it's also an expensive and busy time in French resorts.

Personally, I'd choose driving to France too - but not at half term. And would definitely not choose Bulgaria - reports of massive, ridiculous, lift queues there in the last week or so.

As you're stuck with school holidays your first decision is whether to go Christmas, Easter or half term - and different arguments/criteria apply to all.

Thanks for the reply. I must say that I'm probably leaning towards the 31st Dec date range as it may well work out easier in terms of boking holiday at work. With regards to the aforementioned resort - when I did a YouTube search recently I noticed that a lot of the videos posted are from French, Dutch and German tourists so I'm guessing although it's not well known to us here in the UK, it's likely to be a popular resort for other nationalities.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bogeylogey, bear in mind that it is likely to be colder at NY than Easter. For small children, that can be a problem. There's a lot to be said for Easter skiing with a young family. If you are set on France, resorts tend to be quieter at Easter too - many French people seem to think Easter is too late for skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bogeylogey, A couple of more thoughts to throw into the equation.

With young children it`s great to have the car. You can take more stuff that will make them comfortable, you can take them places other than the slopes/ski resort if conditions dictate, and you can come home early if you wish much more easily (and cheaply) than if you have flown. On the downside the drive is long if you have children who don`t do well on long car journeys.

With young children/possible tummy upsets etc if you need to communicate with locals would you find it any easier in French than in Bulgarian? Or would having hopefully competent tour operator staff be better?

My own preference when my children were small was always to have the car with us.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely go at Easter with young kids. Longer days, warmer weather, fewer people, cheaper deals. I would always go DIY and generally go Sunweb at Easter with the family to somewhere like La Plagne. The French mega-stations are probably not worth it at half-term due to the numbers of people who go. There can be deals on flights to Austria/Germany and Italy if you keep your eyes peeled from now on.... Generally we can get £200 return for 4 of us at half term to Munich with Lufthansa, then hire a car and head to Austria. Tempted by Italy too in the future. I have never been interested in Bulgaria. Too many horror stories about queues, food poisoning and hookers.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bogeylogey, New Year, pretty well everywhere, is very crowded and very expensive. It's also predictably dark, often either cold or rather drear. On the other hand Christmas is generally quite a bit less busy and a little less expensive. And Christmas in a ski resort is hugely preferable to a TV and too-much-food fest at home. I am organising a big family holiday next season and will be going for Easter school holidays - first week in April.

All those holiday times are a big compromise - pretty important for you and your wife to decide on a similar bunch of compromises......

If budget is a big consideration then driving to a self-catering place within easy reach of the ski school meeting place is likely to be cheapest - but still bloody expensive! And the costs mount up over the years if, as is almost always the case, you have a wonderful first ski family ski holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for your responses......especially the mention of Bulgarian hookers Laughing Laughing Touring the streets searching for prostitutes is actually how we like to spend time as a family!!
Just having a look at La Plagne in Easter with Crystal (been there a few times so know the resort well enough and its also high enough to be fairly snow-sure that late in the season) and there's a noticeable difference in price between then and earlier in the season. My preference would still to be drive but the wife's main reservation is the entertainment factor of the kids on the journey, but that's clearly a family issue to address and not something universal to all who choose to drive. Finding that a few of the companies (be it Eurotunnel/Brittany Ferries, Inghams, ESF, Pierre & Vacances etc etc) aren't showing prices for next winter just yet so may need to sit on this for a few weeks yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the wife's main reservation is the entertainment factor of the kids on the journey, but that's clearly a family issue to address and not something universal to all who choose to drive

that's a perfectly reasonable consideration. I have driven back and forth to the Alps a lot, and my preference is to do it alone! No matter what mode of transport there are two classes of travel - first class and with children.

When offered the choice between driving and going by coach (with the old TO Snowcoach) my three kids unanimously chose the coach (and there wasn't much they were unanimous about....). Sitting with three of them in the back of the car for hours was their idea of hell. The reports this weekend of airport delays with TUI are horrendous, though - there is simply no easy way of getting kids to the Alps!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Definitely go at Easter with young kids. Longer days, warmer weather, fewer people, cheaper deals. I would always go DIY and generally go Sunweb at Easter with the family to somewhere like La Plagne. The French mega-stations are probably not worth it at half-term due to the numbers of people who go. There can be deals on flights to Austria/Germany and Italy if you keep your eyes peeled from now on.... Generally we can get £200 return for 4 of us at half term to Munich with Lufthansa, then hire a car and head to Austria. Tempted by Italy too in the future. I have never been interested in Bulgaria. Too many horror stories about queues, food poisoning and hookers.......

£200 return, with luggage, at half term?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes. There tends to be a deal in April/May time where the flights are a fairly uniform price. Have managed to get similar for the last 2 trips.

Not sure how it will work in these new times, however. Generally go on Friday night and stay in a cheap airport hotel before driving to resort on Saturday morning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NB. Had a quick look now! Probably give it a couple of months! Though if you want to go via Madrid, £122 return Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have just got back from zauchensee. Booked Heathrow to munich with lufthansa Sunday to Saturday) when they came out in feb 2021. Paid £450 for 4 return flights with luggage. I thought that was good!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We drive to French Alps and have a car sick young teen. Use prescribed tablets from Dr and it's amazing...he eats whatever and is not ill for whole journey (bit spacey but I'll take that over vomit/stress).

However, to make a kid journey comfy, we do an overnight stop and have TVs in the back. Between watching films and being on their phones we don't hear a thing from them. I suppose we try not to drive more than 6.5 hours in a day (stops on top of this, about every 2 hours).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well...twenty years of doing this...at least five times a year...always at kids’ holiday time.

Pick them up from school at 3pm - straight to Dover - almost no delays, hotel an hour or two into France. Early on the road. No delays on autoroutes apart from one year with snow..even then few problems. Over to CH via Jura. Maybe 15 mins wait at border at Jougne...in house in Valais by 8pm latest.

Heading to Isere valley (val d’isere, la plaine, les arcs) generally a nightmare by comparison. Albertville etc. Horrid.

Try Air B&b somewhere like St Luc - Chandolin, or Nendaz, or Grimentz. Easy to book. Cheap. Even in school holidays.
latest report
Aged 5 and 7?

I would definitely take them out of school and pay the fine. They are not going to miss anything important at that age.

Go early March the week after after French school holidays finish.

Cheap, quiet week , snow should be at its deepest but temps more pleasant for little ones and lighter later for post skiing sledging or other activities.
ski holidays
DIY the cheapest, no contest. Also driving cheaper than flying with 4 people (when you take costs such as transfers into account). The nearest large ski area from Calais is the GM - Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Le Carroz. Next is probably the PDS (Morzine etc). I agree that Easter probably best, if it's early (not like this year). You can book an apartment on-line and, if you have Tesco vouchers, get a cheap or free tunnel crossing. If you have skis, no additional carriage. Win,win. This assuming the passengers are happy to sit in a car for several hours. There is a good chance of slush at lower levels at Easter but there'll generally be enough snow left.
snow report
@kettonskimum, prescribed stuff for kids for travel sickness can be bought from any pharmacy. Not many that are prescription only.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the wife's main reservation is the entertainment factor of the kids on the journey, but that's clearly a family issue to address and not something universal to all who choose to drive

that's a perfectly reasonable consideration. I have driven back and forth to the Alps a lot, and my preference is to do it alone! No matter what mode of transport there are two classes of travel - first class and with children.

When offered the choice between driving and going by coach (with the old TO Snowcoach) my three kids unanimously chose the coach (and there wasn't much they were unanimous about....). Sitting with three of them in the back of the car for hours was their idea of hell. The reports this weekend of airport delays with TUI are horrendous, though - there is simply no easy way of getting kids to the Alps!

Yet mine never really minded driving to the Alps! Anymore than I did as a child. I grew up accepting whole days (sometimes day after day after day) spent travelling in a car, and it never occurred to me to wonder if my own children would object. It`s not fun, but its not hell either if planned correctly and your children are accepting. My eldest son has in the last couple of years done some very long road trips with is own small children as he did not want them on aeroplanes during the pandemic. It was fine.
ski holidays
Unless your kids speak the local language, stick to resorts that are popular with British, all my three learned from age 3 in Soldeu, Andorra, the ski school is run by an English guy, just met some of my instructors from 30+ years ago this week.
ski holidays
Packages are not always more expensive & could mean being in a hotel full of other British kids, normally hell but if yours have playmates, this is a big bonus.

Self drive with kids needs lots of movies on ipads etc, we had built in dvd player.

I have also found that driving on my own is less tiring than with a co driver (but this depends on how stressful the co driver is) I find that I can't really rest properly with the vehicle in motion so 30 min stopped is more refreshing than 2 hrs with someone else driving.
snow report
Our first 2 years with kids (started ages 7 and 4) we took them out of school, risked a fine which never came and flew to Innsbruck. We travelled on to obergurgl and had really lovely, relatively easy holidays. Both of ours had bad carsickness and really struggled on other trips to northern France by car.
latest report
Our first 2 years with kids (started ages 7 and 4) we took them out of school, risked a fine which never came and flew to Innsbruck. We travelled on to obergurgl and had really lovely, relatively easy holidays. Both of ours had bad carsickness and really struggled on other trips to northern France by car.
latest report
Quote:

I find that I can't really rest properly with the vehicle in motion so 30 min stopped is more refreshing than 2 hrs with someone else driving

Me too! I did stop every two hours or so for a coffee, walk about, bit of fresh air. And could keep going for ages like that. And choose all the music or audio books!
ski holidays
We found it a less lot stressful driving with our son than flying. He'd get really restless waiting in the airport, running around getting under everones feet etc. In the car he just slept. No need for him to have videos, books etc. The only problem was he objected to me listening to audio books while I drove.

I always sleep while my wife drives.
snow report
Having done the drive to Alps numerous times (from when kids were 4 months to 20yr), the best thing we found for entertainment was audio books. Harry Potter saw us through many trips! Personally think better than DVD as kids can look outside

Not always practical but at that age have an overnight stop each way.
snow conditions
Hubby and I still listen to audiobooks on our journeys.
latest report
@mgrolf, Our thoughts precisely when we started skiing with our two (then 4 and 5). Since then we have always gone first week of the Easter holidays-go high, avoid south facing resorts and it is a great time to go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hubby and I still listen to audiobooks on our journeys.

So do I. I listen to them whilst doing the washing up at home sometimes, too. Or yesterday, when I was doing a tedious hand sewing job on voile curtains.
ski holidays
"The Sheep Pig" once kept all five of us entranced on a journey from Scotland to Worcestershire.
latest report
Hello
Family of 4, including a non skiing partner. Skied with kids since they were 5 years old, the eldest is now learning to drive.
Fines can add up, our authority was per parent per child. If you've flexibility or are driving, just a day's absence either side may not result in a fine.
Easter, sunshine, longer days etc.
Go high up, you must have guaranteed snow and lots of it. A miserable strip of man made white across a green hill doesn't cut it.
A resort with a public pool or similar extra facilities is nice.
Driving is easy, we're from North UK, and reach Switzerland via hull. Open car boot, empty house contents into car and off you go. Throw kids in back, plug them into iPads and occasionally feed them.
We've also flown, harder work and still a very long day.
Packages are painless and financially just about risk free, but you'll have bags to lug around.
snow conditions
Quote:

With young children/possible tummy upsets etc if you need to communicate with locals would you find it any easier in French than in Bulgarian?

I did, once, visit the doctor in Borovets and he spoke perfect English (he's probably a GP in England now). Two visits to the doctor in France. Once again perfect English.

Was my son unusual? He never had tummy upsets etc in England or on holiday. As for travel sickness all I recall on that was coming off his 4th or 5th fairgraound ride in a row and thowing up. I managed one of them and was too queesy to continue. Is it common for children to be ill on holiday?
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
Aged 5 and 7?

I would definitely take them out of school and pay the fine. They are not going to miss anything important at that age.

Go early March the week after after French school holidays finish.

Cheap, quiet week , snow should be at its deepest but temps more pleasant for little ones and lighter later for post skiing sledging or other activities.

This. Although I would choose the first week of Feb. No holidays in France and the UK, and the slopes are normally deserted.
ski holidays
Skied with kids from age 5 (them, not me Smile )

Have DIYed a few times at New Year if I couldn't get a deal, but generally packages with Crystal were cheaper.

When kids couldn't keep up we always went with Esprit so we could ski all day without the ankle biters. As soon as they could both keep up (and then outski) the adults Crystal were always cheapest package (apart from one last minute Easter trip with Neilsons).

I suppose it depends what you want out of your holiday, if you want the kids to learn to ski whilst you ski, Esprit is the way to go. If you want to spend quality time with your kids (weirdo Wink , maybe not)
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
Aged 5 and 7?

A fine plan...right up to the point the school decide to have a concert on the Friday that both children want to perform in. At least that how our half term plan got a little derailed Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy