Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR: Les Menuires, Crest Voland, Portes du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

Long time listener, first time caller

23/02 Newhaven -> Dieppe
24/02 -> 27/02 - Les Menuires
28/02 -> 05/03 Portes du Soleil

The Journey

We took the DFDS Newhaven -> Dieppe ferry on Wednesday evening. Relatively quiet, 23:00 sailing. We arrived 21:35 and would guess 30 cars ahead of us. Loaded on time and set sail around 23:15. Everyone seemed to have space to spread out, including some with yoga mats/sleeping pads. We had a cabin, and aside from car alarms in the first 20 mins out of port enjoyed a few hours of sleep. Docked at 04:10 local time in Dieppe. Slow through passport control, 2 booths open checking passports and vaccine certificates only. No checks of the sworn statement Honneur. A 3rd lane was opened when the HGV traffic had passed.

Very easy drive down through Rouen, onto the A13, around Paris and onto the A6. We planned a stop in Beaune as a convenient place to pull off the motorway. Using J24 gets you access to a large E Leclerc with filling station, and a Marie Blachere bakery on the same industrial estate.

Very light traffic travelling throughout Thursday, with the occasional lane closure for roadworks. Surprisingly didn't see a single Gendarme car the entire trip, but fixed cameras throughout, all marked on Waze as average speed sections. Easy enough around Lyon and through Chambery.

2nd major stop was Ekosport in Frontenex - we had ordered a pair of ski's to be delivered here. Unfortunately not there when we arrived, but assured they were on the afternoons delivery and true to their word, received an email 17:00 to collect. This is a pretty handy spot for anyone heading to the Tarentaise needing additional kit, only a few mins off the A430 and had a good selection of gear.

The Kit

Atomic Bent Chetler 100's in 188cm for me, mounted with Atomic Wardens and Quiver Killered for Marker Alpinists. These are my go to ski, very versatile. I'm 6'2" and V light (only just touch 70KG after a big meal). I'd consider myself an accomplished skier, 8 seasons and multiple holidays in the non season years since age 5. They're a cracking ski, at home on Powder or charging a freshly groomed piste. I've used ski's that are wider before and wouldn't bother again, 100mm underfoot is enough for me except in once per season snow events.

Salomon QST 85 Myriads for Bells, mounted with Atomic Wardens. €329.90 from Ekosport with collection from Albertville/Frontenex. So far so good, mounting by Ekosport is good, set to the correct boot length as specified in the order and forward pressure adjusted to the recommendation.

The Accommodation

As a relatively last minute trip, we were left somewhat short on accom. Considered various options including Brides Les Bains, but as the main aim of the trip was to pick up a load of gear I'd left in the Covid 19/20 season (in Les Menuires!) we kept searching. Found a studio on booking.com in the Azuvera apartment complex, Between La Croisette and Reberty. Check in from 16:00, though this was actually a phone number who informed us our room was already open. Very basic studio although surprised to have a full size oven, toaster, kettle, microwave and coffee machine. Decent enough block, plentiful hot water and a ski room with good sized lockers leading to a path, approx 50m walk and then a slide onto the Boyes/Fontanettes piste. Easy access down to La Masse lifts in the morning, with a choice of Masse, Masse 1, Doron, Reberty or even Tortollet if required.

Day 1 - Belleville Valley

Nasty cloud hanging round most of the morning, seemed to range from 2000 - 2300m but poor visibility. Enjoyed a trip up the new Pointe de la Masse, and although it must be frustrating to lose the option of lapping Masse 2 or the older chairs, the new lift is very quick and efficient. No queue's to speak of.

With Bells not quite enjoying the cloud, and struggling with cold fingertips we headed up towards Mont de la Challe/Cherferie. A pitstop at the Roc 1 bar was semi chaotic, lots of skiers taking shelter and more staff preparing the outside bar than trying to serve the coffee's inside. €9 for a hot chocolate + a coffee long, wouldn't rush back except for sunny Apres.

Clouds cleared as we hit Jerusalem, and it all came together. There's truly no better piste skiing than a good run down Jerusalem, happy to be challenged wink

Lunch at L'Art B in St Martin de Belleville, a good spot with approx 40 seating capacity inside, very friendly staff, Duck in ?sauce? + Steak Tartare done well for a reasonable price. Savoie wines available by the glass and total bill around €80, not bad with Genepi's, Coffee etc.

Snow conditions, a v small top up on Thursday evening just adding a touch of soft. Well groomed pistes, and only a slight hint of sugary stuff towards the bottom of the main runs (Sunny, Bruyeres, Reberty). Some bumps building up by late afternoon but all manageable.

Day 2 - Valley Rally

I've always enjoyed skiing on a Saturday, watching the cars come and go knowing I'm getting the quietest conditions of the week. Blue Skies, sunny and cold to start the day, but warmed up quickly. Felt deserted until around 10:30/11, by which time we had already lapped Pointe de La Masse, up and over Mont de La Chambre and lapped Mont Vallon. Bells' first time in 3 valleys so promised her a bit of people/plane watching in Courchevel, and didn't disappoint wink Coffee stop in Courcheneige Hotel/Bar Waikiki/Snack bar adjacent delivered perfectly. Few helicopters and planes in and out, and a lot of Moncler gear flying round with very little idea. €10 for 2 Cafe Long's, par for the course?!

Aimed to ski L'Eclipse down to La Praz but it's currently closed for race preparation, sprinklers n' all. Changed tack to ski Folyeres down to La Tania, enjoyable but a lot of man made snow lower down. Interesting to see the remodel of the Beginners area, looks to work well.

Back up and over for Lunch at Terrasse du Village. 45 mins early for booking but happily slotted us in with the warning we might have to wait to order food.This worked perfectly as we enjoyed the Brasserie du Petit St Bernand IPA on the wait, in the sun. Bliss. Katsu Chicken burger and Plat du Jour of Lamb 'rumsteck', both perfect, and good value. €80 bill including 3 Pints, a soft, a coffee and 2 mains.

Cut the day short as Bells had banged her head previous day and soldiered on throughout the morning, but was starting to feel a bit ill (She's ok, promise). Back up and over via 3 Marches, including the New Bouquetin chair. Much more convenient than the old Plattieres 2/3!

Earlyish night tonight before transferring across to St Jean D'Aulps, 15 mins outside Morzine to join family. We're planning to ski Crest Voland on the way through to break the journey and see another area.

Apologies for waffling, brief synopsis below -

DFDS Newhaven -> Dieppe - Good option for a short overnight ferry including a sleep. Let's you wake up 04:00 refreshed and could be in the Alps by 12:00 - 14:00 with efficient stops
Ekosport Frontenex click&collect - Not bad, but 5 business days from order to collect could be slightly improved.
Azuvera Les Menuires - Basic but decent enough Self catered studios. Available for Short stays
L'Art B St Martin de Belleville - Worth a look, v friendly staff, decent menu, good value wine
Terrasse du Village Meribel - Always decent, friendly atmosphere, book ahead

Cheers!

MB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to finding how Crest Voland is looking - pretty small beer after the 3 Valleys!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Top report...... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading to Crest Voland in a couple of weeks. Look forward to hearing about it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you been there before, @MagSeven?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope, we’ve never been there before. Driving down with the family, looks like a great area for getting the kids on snow for the first time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will be interested to hear how you get on. Crest Voland used to figure in one of the British TOs brochures - years before the internet was heard of. I could find out nothing at all about it. Then some years later, driving home, with some days to spare, from a holiday in Courchevel 1650 I saw a sign (off the Arly Gorge road) to CV (my OH was asleep at the time) and swung onto the road up, on a whim. The abrupt change of direction woke him up. We stayed in a hotel at the bottom of one of the draglifts, and skied over to Les Saisies for lunch the following day. We were so impressed with the area, which had better snow than the 3 Valleys and coffee at half the price, that we picked up details of an apartment complex being built by MGM, and end up buying one.

The top of the small ski area in CV is about the same altitude as the bottom of the Saisies slopes. If the snow is not much cop in Crest Voland, it's easy to get over to Saisies (or perhaps not, if you have beginner kids in tow).

Hope you enjoy it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Evening all!

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've always thought that when people offer multiple excuses they're definitely lying, but -

1) Brother, Sister in Law and 2 kids joined us in PDS, and kids take a LOT of time on a skiing holiday!
2) Being back in Morzine after a few years away led to quite a few hazy apres + evening meals/drinks
3) We've been remarkably good at getting out early and skiing most of the day

Crest Voland

Really sorry to disappoint on this one, but Bells' head still wasn't right on Sunday so we changed tack and dropped into Annecy for a bit of sightseeing. Wander down the lakeside, pop into the old town, demi at a bustling bar surrounded by the market. In reality this little bit of respite probably allowed Bells to ski the rest of the week untroubled, so absolutely worth it. Crest Voland and the rest of the Val D'Arly is still on the list!

Portes du Soleil

There's enough on this site to fill multiple volumes about the PDS, so I'll keep it relatively brief.

Snows good, crowds haven't been too bad, despite the usual queues in the usual areas (Tour)

Today in Morzine/Les Gets turned very soft after 12:00, the home run from Mont Chery closed whilst we were up there and looked very patchy.

L'Etale Morzine - Fan favourite, dinner on Monday downstairs, usual order of a few Raclettes, Meat Tree + Hot Rock. Very friendly staff, always a good feed

Bar National, St Jean D'Aulps 2 for 1 pizza on Tuesday, excellent and friendly service, cracking pizzas as always. 2 for 1 is nice but the food is worth the money so don't hesitate to visit.

Guy's Restaurant Set menu, eccentric owner, Veal steak main course, multiple bottles of red, absolutely cracking. Top recommendation if you ski the St Jean circuit. Link
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your Author

Skiing Feb22 by Matt Barratt, on Flickr

Photo Album - via link above!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D619BFA1-8E2B-4D9D-8254-C8D06CCEDA39 by Matt Barratt, on Flickr
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy