Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways have lost my ski clobber - help please

Poster: A snowHead
Good Evening,

I've arrived in Innsbruck, as have my skis.

Sadly my other bag with clothes, boots., goggles, helmet etc has not.

Where do I stand? I've tried phoning BA but they are closed.

I want to ski tomorrow, I'm on my way to Selva.

I bought a club europe ticket for the ski carriage

Can I buy boots, gloves etc tomorrow and claim BA?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have cover from your travel insurance?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you hire they should refund that
Wouldn't hold your breath re them paying for a new pair of boots

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-01-20 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My personal nightmare Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why didn't you speak to the handling agents at the airport, and they wont pay for new stuff unless of course they never find it, but should pay for hire kit
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From ba.com

Quote:
Baggage delays

In case of baggage delay, the air carrier is liable for damage unless it took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible to take such measures. The liability for baggage delay is limited to 1,131 SDRs (approximately £1,000 or EUR1,230).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you tried tweeting @British_Airways they say they are there to help 24-7
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sean1967, how awful for you. You'll probably have to buy/rent some stuff tomorrow but as implied above, do check what you're actually covered for before you go mad in the shops.

My luggage went astray once and it was damn inconvenient even though it wasn't a ski holiday. (BA did stump up some money but I can't remember how much and anyway it was years ago.) Now I make sure all the kit to enable me to ski on day one is either on my person or in my hand luggage, including boots and helmet. I'd just have to hire skis. Sorry, that's not helpful for you to hear at this point. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sean1967, can’t see them (anyone) forking out for boots. Hire costs maybe, esp. if you have ski insurance.

But generally it’s for “essentials” ...

PITA.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swiss mislaid my son's bag on a sailing trip in the summer. He wasn't reunited with it until after the holiday.

I imagine their guidance would be similar to BAs. Essentially, airlines assume that you have insurance in place so their liability is limited. Like you, he flew business which gave him much more generous compensation.

The essence of the rules are that: you need to have a reference ID from the airport to confirm that your bag didn't arrive; you need receipts for everything; and only essential expenditure will be refunded.

On that basis, hire of equipment (with a receipt) would be refunded. Purchase of new equipment would not be unless, like goggles, it could not be rented. You should not expect to be refunded for the purchase of premium items (eg upmarket goggles), not least because your bag will probably arrive in the next day or two.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can’t believe you left the airport without speaking to anyone (I.e. BA agents). They would have told you exactly what to do as well as tracking your luggage from your luggage receipt which they usually stick on your passport at checkin. The agent would also arrange forwarding the lost luggage to your accommodation in Selva.

BA customer services for lost baggage is +44344 493 0785 6 00am to 8pm uk time. They are not closed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevinraine wrote:
I can’t believe you left the airport without speaking to anyone (I.e. BA agents). They would have told you exactly what to do as well as tracking your luggage from your luggage receipt which they usually stick on your passport at checkin. The agent would also arrange forwarding the lost luggage to your accommodation in Selva.

BA customer services for lost baggage is +44344 493 0785 6 00am to 8pm uk time. They are not closed.

Of course I spoke to the staff at the airport, where did I say I didn't?

They are closed, I've phoned numerous numbers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sean1967, I presume you have filled in the forms with the ground handling agent at Innsbruck? Have you given them the address of your hotel? You need a "missing baggage report number" to be able to check progress of the missing bag. The chances are the bag will come on the next plane but given you are staying a fair way from Innsbruck it might take a while to get to you. If you have not got the report number yet make sure you have still kept both the baggage receipt and your boarding card and call BA as soon as they open tomorrow

The airline will normally only pay for the necessities you need until your bag is returned to you so that is unlikely to extend beyond toiletries and basic clothes. You will almost certainly need to claim from your travel insurance for any costs such as equipment hire.

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims for details

BA baggage tracing only appears to be open from 09:00 - 17:00, might as well fly Ryanair Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 5-01-20 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sean1967, so staff at airport will surely have told you what will happen. no?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
missing baggage page https://www.britishairways.com/travel/your-missing-baggage/public/en_gb#/yourmissingbaggage
snow conditions
Quote:

But generally it’s for “essentials”

I cannot thing of anything more essential than ski boots for a ski holiday.

@sean1967, I assume that you reported the delayed luggage at the airport and told them what chalet or hotel you are staying in. BA will then deliver your luggage from their next flight. I would rent replacement equipment and send the bill to BA, but don't hold your breath. Lufthansa didn't carry my luggage to Venice when I went on a climbing holiday in the Dolomites. They took 3 days to get the luggage to us. We just had to kick our heals until it arrived.
ski holidays
Have experienced this several times. Best option is to check details of your travel insurance and claim against it.
snow conditions
@johnE, yeah but skiing is not an “essential”.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@sean1967, so staff at airport will surely have told you what will happen. no?

Yes, if it appears, they said they'll send it to my address.

They've no idea where it is.

All my skants, boots, clothes, gloves, base layers, helmet, socks, hip flask etc in limbo.
ski holidays
1. Keep in contact with the baggage people, as you may have it the next day.
2. Before you spend money, find out exactly what you are entitled to claim (and when) - probably from your Insurance - if your kit doesn't turn up.
3. Keep all receipts
snow report
Another data point, albeit about 10 years ago: BA once failed to load my skis on a flight to North America. I was given a voucher in the airport to cover equipment rental until they turned up.

The bag will almost certainly turn up at some point. I would hire whatever equipment I could and buy economy versions of the rest. I'd send the receipts to BA but, if they failed to pay, at least I'd be comfortable that I'd minimised the cost to myself.
ski holidays
I'm sans scantaloons, not a spare pair of jacks to my name, sockless.
I'll be minging by mañana.

Need to find a ski shop tomorrow who are liberal with the descriptions!
snow report
@sean1967, My bag was delayed flying into Canada a few years ago (I think January 2016). Thankfully I had the most essential things in my hand baggage - ski boots and some ski clothing. I was due to continue to a remote heli-skiing lodge the following day and I'd be without my luggage for about a week. I spent about £700 on things I did not have but needed for the week ahead, including a new suitcase, ski helmet, gloves, various ski clothes and normal clothing, other things like toiletries and sun cream. I absolutely considered all these things to be essentials for the coming week and it seems BA agreed with me.

They refunded me quickly and without any hassle.

I was reunited with my luggage when I got back to the airport from the heli-ski lodge, just in time to fly back to London!

I didn't use my travel insurance because BA were happy to pay up in full.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 5-01-20 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@sean1967, I presume you have filled in the forms with the ground handling agent at Innsbruck? Have you given them the address of your hotel? You need a "missing baggage report number" to be able to check progress of the missing bag. The chances are the bag will come on the next plane but given you are staying a fair way from Innsbruck it might take a while to get to you. If you have not got the report number yet make sure you have still kept both the baggage receipt and your boarding card and call BA as soon as they open tomorrow

The airline will normally only pay for the necessities you need until your bag is returned to you so that is unlikely to extend beyond toiletries and basic clothes. You will almost certainly need to claim from your travel insurance for any costs such as equipment hire.

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims for details

BA baggage tracing only appears to be open from 09:00 - 17:00, might as well fly Ryanair Very Happy

Cheers munich irish.

I'm a mild mannered sort but this has really boiled my wee wee.

I'm skiing tomorrow regardless, hire boots, go sans lid like it was the 90s.

Ill hit Goalie's tonight for a few stout, maybe some songs of treason.
ski holidays
Freezing my yarblockos off here at ponte Gardena train station, my jacket etc is in my missing bag.
snow conditions
This happened to us one year many moons ago, but we had to buy the basics; pants, socks, vests, gloves, baselayers, clothes for the evening everything needed, they paid out once we got back
snow report
Austrian offloaded about 35 bags on the Manchester Innsbruck flight on 21 Dec (not that the captain said anything). Bag arrived at hotel in Mayrhofen the following evening. Insurance co would have paid £50 for clothing after 12 hrs and another £50 after a further 12 hrs and that was that . Problem is that you can't buy at Aldi prices in a ski resort and while you can hire boots, helmet and skis , try hiring ski trousers, jacket, gloves and goggles. Good luck .
snow conditions
@sean1967, I feel for you, Condor Airlines lost my case 2 summers ago:-(

Keep us updated
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whenever I’ve flown somewhere “important” (e.g. Canada for heli) my essentials - boots, 1 pair socks, shells upper and lower, sunnies - have gone with me in the cabin. It’s a standard recommendation of at least Tyax and CMH that you do so.

Underwear and socks can easily be sourced. The rest can’t.

And if you’re in club class you get two cabin bags anyway don’t you? So one for ski kit, one for e.g. laptops, etc. if you need.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@sean1967, Now I make sure all the kit to enable me to ski on day one is either on my person or in my hand luggage, including boots and helmet. I'd just have to hire skis. Sorry, that's not helpful for you to hear at this point. Sad

+1
snow report
Had exactly the same happen to me in Geneva, late flight and no BA reps at all. Spoke to the staff in the airport who just said bag never made it, take it up with BA.
Same as you no answer on any numbers. We bought the essentials and didn't take the mickey, ie I assumed I wouldn't be paid so only spent / bought what I was happy to shell out for.

To be honest they were really good about it, they refunded the whole amount, even though the missus lost the dang receipt
latest report
Had the same issue, albeit 20 years ago, BA Manchester to Lyon.
Bag was sent on a later flight then by courier to our chalet in La Plagne. Arrived at midnight.
Only issue was Mrs Sinner having to argue in French on the phone with the van driver who thought we should meet him down in the valley cos he didn't have chains.....

Good luck.
ski holidays
I've taken sanctuary in La Bula for a pint and a pizza.

No update from BA. I've no idea how they've managed to make an ahrse of it, my skis made it, my bag did not.
latest report
@sean1967, no response to tweeting them either?
snow report
Not skiing but I had my bags delayed by 24 hours with BA, traveling with my wife and young daughter, and they gave me the same up to £1k per person on essentials message. I told them we’d travelled pretty much just in our pajamas and so everything was essential, and spent the whole next morning on a big shopping bender including every item of clothing you could think of, nice shoes, jackets, a new buggy, a massive amount of toiletries, new laptop bag etc etc., coming to over £2.5k.

It took a while and there’s a bit of paperwork, but eventually they paid for every bit of it with no quibbling whatsoever. To top it off the flight itself had been delayed enough they also had to pay us €1,800 in compensation under the EU rules. I now spend every long haul BA flight praying the same thing happens again!

I wouldn’t chance ski boots, but definitely treat yourself to a grands worth of jacket, gloves etc. It’s not so that you can go skiing, but so that you don’t freeze to death as you only boarded the plane in light travel clothes right?
snow report
@sean1967, It'll turn up tomorrow - they always do.

But regardless of that, buy what you need to ski and bill/sue BA for the cost. Keep the receipts! As musehead tells us they'll pay with no questions asked as they're clearly at fault.

Ignore their T&C's and waffle on their website - as a retail consumer you are protected by law from their attempts to dodge liability.
snow conditions
We had a up to £1k per person comp for essentials for a bag goin missing but it was from our amex travel insurance not BA on a family weekend many years ago. Had to be spent before bags arrived, my mum and sister where queuing at el cortes door for it opening...... I got one pair of boxers Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Steve77 wrote:
Not skiing but I had my bags delayed by 24 hours with BA, traveling with my wife and young daughter, and they gave me the same up to £1k per person on essentials message. I told them we’d travelled pretty much just in our pajamas and so everything was essential, and spent the whole next morning on a big shopping bender including every item of clothing you could think of, nice shoes, jackets, a new buggy, a massive amount of toiletries, new laptop bag etc etc., coming to over £2.5k.

It took a while and there’s a bit of paperwork, but eventually they paid for every bit of it with no quibbling whatsoever. To top it off the flight itself had been delayed enough they also had to pay us €1,800 in compensation under the EU rules. I now spend every long haul BA flight praying the same thing happens again!

I wouldn’t chance ski boots, but definitely treat yourself to a grands worth of jacket, gloves etc. It’s not so that you can go skiing, but so that you don’t freeze to death as you only boarded the plane in light travel clothes right?

I filled the unforgiving minute with forty seconds distance run from the hotel to the pub.

I am indeed sans jacket.
snow report
No wonder some companies want proof of invoices etc when folk are quite happy to commit fraud and go on an unnecessary spending spree, and why the hell would you fly to a ski resort airport without wearing a jacket ?
snow report
@robs1, although I always wear mine and make family wear there’s- this is to reduce weight of bags and to have the other end. In reality while at the airport they are a pain, you are super heated and they are yet another thing to carry.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy