Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

Poster: A snowHead
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where we can namecheck TOs/airlines/accommodation etc who’ve treated us well - in future seasons I’d like to be able to spend money with them.

From me, I’d booked a house with the owners of The Hotel Jäger in Ried im Zillertal - they emailed me as soon as the Austrian closures were announced asking for my bank details to return the deposit. Eurotunnel were also helpful about transferring my booking to the summer (and answered the phone surprisingly quickly...).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowberry refunded balance of ski and boot hire in ValD this morning without asking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Miguel have offered the ski pass refunds and requested that we try our insurance company to claim our cancelled Austrian package holiday costs.
Gatwick parking easily cancelled online
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Car hier with Expedia easily cancelled online and that money already refunded.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is going to be incredibly one sided. People are going to go out of business - this kind of thread may well hasten that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
This is going to be incredibly one sided. People are going to go out of business - this kind of thread may well hasten that.

Thats the risk one takes when starting out in business though. Paying customers arent a charity when things go wrong.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mother hucker, they will have all signed up to t&cs. The risk is shared.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
These companies should have their own insurance for these kind of risks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inghams. Were due to fly out 4th April. Full refund. Will use them again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Mother hucker, they will have all signed up to t&cs. The risk is shared.

very much depends on the T&C's. Some companies could profiteer out of this, ie bookings till the end of the season, can lay off seasonal staff early, no food, drink and heating costs to cover. Thats some huge overheads no longer having to be spent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EasyJet cancelled change of flight fees, enabled our early exit out of Geneva, which was welcome last Saturday. Ryanair still not cancelled my daughters flight to the Canaries,despite FCO advice to not visit. Get a grip Mr O’Leary.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edited as sitations have changed

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 20-03-20 7:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, wow really ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
YSE in Val disere height of irresponsibility we’re still offering to fly people out for a walking holiday !! No refund from them .

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 16-03-20 6:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twoodwar wrote:
EasyJet cancelled change of flight fees, enabled our early exit out of Geneva, which was welcome last Saturday. Ryanair still not cancelled my daughters flight to the Canaries,despite FCO advice to not visit. Get a grip Mr O’Leary.

They have waived change of flight fees though: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/disruptions-and-refunds/coronavirus-covid-19/flight-change-fee-removed
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
@Mother hucker, wow really ?

That was my thought as well "WOW".

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-03-20 23:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Canadian Ski Instructor Association is giving full refunds on cancelled courses.
NCP flexplus parking. Full refund
latest report
Crystal have been amazing, for the holiday that was due next week. Full refund.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-07-20 0:12; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
ESF - full refund of ski school and private lessons. They phoned up this afternoon for bank card details with apologies. I offered to rebook dates for next season but they said refund easier.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
Warrem smith Academy giving no refunds on cancelled courses
That's a way to tank their reputation pronto.
latest report
BASI saying no refunds on courses, look to your insurance. (note they do warn to self insure when booking a course)

Quote:
For many years, BASI has asked members to ensure they have adequate insurance for courses. This insurance is typically underwritten by large financial houses that have deep pockets to manage situations like this. Our terms and conditions also explain this recommendation.

We would love to refund everyone but ultimately we are a small organisation with regular costs which need paying for, to the benefit of all members. Refunding everyone could put us in a vulnerable financial position and is likely unnecessary as we hope most are insured.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

^ this this & this!

Mother hucker wrote:
Thats the risk one takes when starting out in business though. Paying customers arent a charity when things go wrong.

Totally different case here as the businesses affected are willing/ready to supply you - it's just that they can't due to Government shutdown. And any cost saving made on gas/elecy/food/drink etc will be more than offset by costs of shedding staff etc. The majority will be small locally owned/registered business were staff by law have to have proper contracts etc not Brits on a dodgy gap year chalet maid contract who get paid in the UK.

For the vast majority of businesses in the winter sports market the receipts for the last couple of months of the season are the 'profit months' as everything earned until then is required to pay all of the fixed costs/overheads for the season so with the trade now curtailed early, and without notice, then for most it'll just be a huge battle for survival.

mrlossyman wrote:
These companies should have their own insurance for these kind of risks.

You've obviously don't have any involvement in running a business. You said this on another thread. Force majeure clause and similar come in play here, its not their fault that everything is shut down.

Mother hucker wrote:
Warrem smith Academy giving no refunds on cancelled courses

I've no issue with this. I'm assuming that WSA will have to employ their instructors under Swiss employment law and if this means they can afford to give a decent pay-off to their instructors and remain in business then so be it, it's what you have insurance for.

As stated by Stinkpickle on another thread "Why would you want all these businesses to go bust? Claim on your insurance it's the whole point of it and the insurance companies get fat every year - finally there is a point to them. So use them."

Many many businesses, the majority of which will be small businesses who've always offered great service etc will go to the wall. Probably good number of insurers as well as they won't be covered for this amount of pay-outs but as the insurance industry have been bottom feeders for years then better them than the businesses we need to survive to be there when we want/need them next season.

FFS people, the loss of your weeks skiing is a first world problem! Yes you've lost a week of fun and a few memories/pics but you've not 'lost' any money as you were spending it anyway - it's not like you're buying a car or similar were you'd have to go and buy it again. And not skiing for a week has actually saved you whatt you'd have spent on food/drink etc.

Just claim on your insurance and anything that's not covered just man up and suck it up!
ski holidays
AirBnB....full refund. very quick, easy and transparent process. even updated their IT system so it shows specifically on your booking if it is eligible for the refund to save you having to trawl the T&Cs. very impressed.
snow report
>FFS people, the loss of your weeks skiing is a first world problem! Yes you've lost a week of fun and a few memories/pics but you've not 'lost' any money as you were spending it anyway.
@spyderjon, Indeed, it's a first world problem and skiing is definitely a first world privilege... I do apologize for focusing on my £7K+ in jeopardy and my worries about receiving a P45 next year. Admittedly, it's not much when a lot of people are going to die. That said, the future of any ski-related business is not worth much either for the same reasons.

Macron ordering a shutdown is just what any responsible business should have done earlier without being coerced to. Any business, whatever its size. Insurances are primarily expected to cover issues on the customer side. If they can't handle the real world then business should insure themselves. I don't have insurance because I would have handled risks on my side.
Honestly, if a business can't suck this up and put the customer first then they should go bust. They are doing something wrong and they may as well leave the space to a responsible business that will be of value to society.
snow report
@spyderjon, I v agree entirely ... its a nightmare scenario for suppliers much more so than clients.
I’ll applaud BA - sat now in DEN waiting flight back 2 days early no charge.
They have also refunded in full a May trip planned.
snow report
[quote="spyderjon"]
Totally different case here as the businesses affected are willing/ready to supply you - it's just that they can't due to Government shutdown. And any cost saving made on gas/elecy/food/drink etc will be more than offset by costs of shedding staff etc. The majority will be small locally owned/registered business were staff by law have to have proper contracts etc not Brits on a dodgy gap year chalet maid contract who get paid in the UK......

^^^ +1
snow report
PBJ wrote:
@spyderjon, I v agree entirely ... its a nightmare scenario for suppliers much more so than clients.
I’ll applaud BA - sat now in DEN waiting flight back 2 days early no charge.
They have also refunded in full a May trip planned.

With your view on "it's more of a nightmare for the suppliers than the clients" have you requested to pay extra for the early flights and said you dont require a refund for the May trip?
snow conditions
@spyderjon, the points you raised are valid.

Coming from the business im in gives me a different view(heartless QS's chipping away,subbies pushing for more) which i shouldnt be using in these circumstances.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another shout of for AirBnb, full refund and quickly done. Spoke to the apartment owner who mentioned going to him direct next year for a cheaper price, great I thought, but I bet I don't get the same refund cover!

Also budget car hire were superb, and the I think the refund of the lift passes will be okay.

I think easy jet will be the troublesome (which I understand as they're still technically flying to France). The free waiver fee is good, but less so if you don't want to go anywhere else. And Easter 2021 flights aren't open yet!)
snow report
The ESF (here) has provided refunds to its customers.
Their salaried staff have been told that their contracts will be honoured until the end of the season, and are placed on Chomage Partiel ( The state will pay 70% of their salary, under Macron's emergency provision).
However most staff are not salaried, as ESF are workers co-operatives between the instructors (no work = no pay).
Many are self-employed out of season, as carpenters, landscapers, builders etc... so will be looking to start their "summer" jobs as of today.
snow conditions
[quote="Handy Turnip"]Another shout of for AirBnb, full refund and quickly done. Spoke to the apartment owner who mentioned going to him direct next year for a cheaper price, great I thought, but I bet I don't get the same refund cover!

We take Airbnb and Direct Bookings and offer the same T&C when it comes to refunds. We also waived our administrative charges on those who were forced to cancel last weekend. You should note that with Airbnb the owner has to authorise refunds once you are inside the cancellation window. We did of course. Our Direct Bookings are cheaper as we don't have to pay the Airbnb commission. Very Happy
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, very interesting to know! Cheers!!
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:

However most staff are not salaried, as ESF are workers co-operatives between the instructors (no work = no pay).
Many are self-employed out of season, as carpenters, landscapers, builders etc... so will be looking to start their "summer" jobs as of today.

The only snag being that all builder's merchants etc are shut... Basically anyone self-employed in the Alps (certainly France) on any sort of seasonal work basis is currently out of work for the foreseeable future.
latest report
A shout out to Biohotel Hermitage in Madonna di Campiglio. I had a non-refundable booking with them, but they cancelled it free of charge when my outgoing flight was cancelled. This was when only the 11 small towns in Italy were in lockdown. Before Lombardy and Veneto were locked down and way before the ski resorts across Italy closed
ski holidays
Rappers wrote:
Ski Miguel have offered the ski pass refunds and requested that we try our insurance company to claim our cancelled Austrian package holiday costs.
Gatwick parking easily cancelled online

If it's a package holiday Ski Miguel are required to offer a full refund. Check out the 2018 consumer rights for package holidays - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/634/contents/made
Part 3 section 12 is the section to read
snow conditions
Neilson - we were due to go to La Villa March 28th. The day the Dolomites closed they phoned us, offered a full refund or transfer to alternative resort (at which pint Austria etc were still open). We took the refund. We booked through RBS travel service who also fully refunded airport parking. Excellent customer service from both.
snow report
Long timer lurker, have to say these forums have got me through the last few days of uncertainty. First time in 24 years I won't have skied at least once in a season. Was also planned as a special birthday trip for the Boyfriend to try out a ski holiday for the first time. Sunweb are offering a credit to used by May 2021, however we've got a 14 person chalet booked and the likelihood of all of us being able to coordinate for a week next year doesn't look too likely. So we will probably be going down the credit card route.
Eurotunnel re-booked for later in the year, hopefully to be used in Dec. IHG group have refunded the booking and just waiting on the Premiere Classe to see if they will credit for later in the year as booked through booking.com
Ski lessons had said that they would offer 100% refund should the resort closed when I emailed back when italian resorts started to close, however I wouldn't be surprised if they can no longer off this given that they are loosing so much of the season, so I'm prepared to also claim through the credit card.
Here's to planning for 2020/2021 season and getting a few weeks booked in there!
ski holidays
Has anyone tried to contact CGH for refund / re-booking? We have a booking from 4th April. There on nothing on https://www.cgh-residences.co.uk/
ski holidays
Inter Chalet have been really good and refunded my money without quibble (week's accomodation in the Tirol). Ischgl ski school tell me I'll get a full refund. Ischgl resort itself not currently answering emails, I'm guessing they're busy. Lufthansa offering changes to flights but their schedule doesn't go into next year, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

On the argument about customers wanting money back. There are laws and T&C's we've all signed up to so I think it's fair companies honour them. I have sympathy with local business and accomodation providers of course but I'm not a charity. Some of you talk about sharing the pain, I'm freelance and my industry has pretty much shut up shop, I'll be lucky to work at all for the next three months. I'm not expecting sympathy but I do want a refund when I actually can't use something I've paid for.
snow report
After reading conflicting information (and the site being updated), I decided to phone MPI to speak to them.

Their underwriters are sticking by the FCA guidelines, so currently as France (for my situation) isn't advised against travelling to my insurance will not cover any cancellations.

^ may be helpful for anyone insured with MPI who are on a bash.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy