Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for car for a year abroad - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Grom has a chance to instruct for a year before going to University - bike and ski - but because of location of accommodation he will need a car. This means insuring a car for Switzerland for around 9 months - any idea of the best way of doing it and likely cost?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, I'm no expert, but it would seem that if the car is out of the UK for more than 90 days then you'll struggle to find someone to insured it, while the owner being out of the country for more than 6 months will make it impossible to get a UK policy as they are no longer classed as resident. See https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/long-stay-european-car-insurance

It may be easier to buy and insure a cheap car in Switzerland and then sell it at the end of the stay, but that will have its own problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up to 180 days is easy with LV, beyond that lie dragons as ousekjarr suggests
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also beware of a UK car being seen as an import if it stays over a certain amount of time, at which point import duties and/or VAT equivalent may become due on it, and that might be based on the initial sale price rather than the current value. And as a right hand drive car in Switzerland, it has a value pretty close to zero.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
all very helpful … many thanks. 180 days will be OK.... we can do two blocks of dec-apr ski instructing and then a break and then summer DH instructing....

very many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, Stuart Collins provide UK car insurance for a UK car which is going to be abroad for most/all of the year (used by our daughter in Switzerland for the last few years).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or just buy and register a car in Switzerland. It will probably not really cost you anything as you will get back the same or more guven how second hand car prices are going right now!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, totally separate question....

What's the situation re passport/visas etc.

Do you have access to the much desired, EU passport?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
StuartCollins....we insured with them when living in the EU and they were excellent. Car needs to remain registered in the UK which may be an issue with the "host" state. You may need to export the car from the UK, import it into the host state and then re-register before moving to a local insurer after three months or something.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurdy, What you are suggesting can be done with most Insurers. Most give 90 days, its the beyond that period that is the issue. But as has been said previously, it also depends on your residency status. Ie if your an Austrian resident, you have to re register it in Austria Im sure less than the 90 day period anyway.

Its a total falacy to think you can have a UK reg veh out of the UK for 365 days, and still maintain UK Insurance. One way or another you are either breaking local rules re registration, or your Insurance fm the UK. Even those who provide annual cover arent giving 365 days out of the UK . Most are giving annual cover, but to a limit to how long each trip out of the UK is.

I find those who think thye can do it, tend to have gleemed enough info to say the correct thing to the insurers to get themselves both a competitive quote, and an annual green card. But it doesnt work like that when you make a claim, and you may have to show when the vehicle was both out of the UK, and when it was back again.

Be warned.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here in Germany it is illegal to keep any foreign registered vehicle in the country for more than 6 months. The reason being is that by doing so you are avoiding car tax, avoiding tax here being the most heinous crime possible. After 6 months you would have to register the car as a German one, which for UK vehicles is fairly painful. Other countries are likely to be similar. You can avoid any issues by simply driving to Austria for a day or two as long as you have evidence of leaving Germany.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don’t believe that the Grom will necessarily lose UK residency. Also, many EU countries allow foreign registered vehicles for up to 12 months by non-residents. Extended insurance is also possible.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have recently had a conversation with my insurance company, for a slightly different reason. I want to stay in France for about 7 weeks, which would, when added to the time I have already spent in France during the period of insurance, take me way over the 60 days the policy provides for. The insurance company says they will maintain the cover up to the 60 days. When that expires the policy will revert to the minimum legal cover required wherever I am in the EU - third party. They suggested I might want to get a top-up policy to maintain the fully comp cover. My limited searches so far suggest the additional days will cost me as much as the existing annual policy.
Turning back to the OP, this (together with checking GOV.UK) suggests that you will still get minimum insurance cover for an extended stay. However, as others have suggested there may be other registration issues and you would have to tell the insurance company where the vehicle is usually kept. That could be problematic.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Stuart Collins - OH and I both used them when we were working in France and Italy all year. Yes, the cars had to be registered to us at our UK addresses and we had to be on British licences.
Saga do 12 month continental cover but age is probably a showstopper, NFU also do 12 month cover.
As @munich_irish, says, have an away day or two!

Stuart Collins & Co, 114 Walter Road, Swansea SA1 5QQ
Phone 01792 655562 Fax 01792 651126
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People go "vanlife-ing" out of the UK for these kind of periods and they are clearly insured.

It must be do-able.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy