Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal ski Fiasco

Poster: A snowHead
Something very similar happened to us for our St Anton trip a few weeks ago. We booked ages ago because needed 2 single occupancy rooms (which are relatively tricky to find) fast forward 10 months later 3 days before we fly i get an email from Crystal stating "because of an earlier migration issue" they can no longer accommodate us with no alternative accommodation in that resort available. The email then goes on to say we have provisionally booked obergurgl instead or a refund. There was a whole backdrop up of issues with the flights changing without notice and other things that were just poor on Crystal part lots of calls that took hours to get through (literally spent 9+ hours on hold). I asked how and why has this happened and it was due to an IT migration of systems and somewhere in that process our booking was double booked with someone elses 9 months earlier but they had only noticed 3 days before our trip. Eventually got through to someone at customer service who firstly knew what they were doing and secondly cared enough to try and resolve it, out of pure luck the other booking canceled and they were able to restore ours.

If i thought it would make a difference i would write a letter of complaint but there are so many holes in the way they operate its just not worth the energy. They have some great staff on the ground who do a good job and making sure everyone has a great holiday whilst juggling avoidable problems put on them due to poor management.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After the Dolomites turned out to have inadequate snow (and there was a huge dump in Austria) we found a really good B&B in Mayrhofen for 7 people, 4 rooms at one day's notice after a few minutes looking. Keep trying. (You will still get better snow in Austria). Of course this was DIY, Tour companies may well have sold out. But it is easy to book flights and hotels separately.

Edit: Oops, didn't read that you found somewhere.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-02-22 19:05; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@twoodwar, That's a bad show from Crystal, they should have upgraded you rather than move you!

I'm also booked with crystal for last week of March for Austria and paid, £1100 pp back in November last year. Last week they were selling the same holiday for £1700pp. Hoping your story is not repeated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JimboS, hope so too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Linked to Inferno?

And Pericolo

Just down the valley from Disastro!! wink

Glad the OP averted total disaster and salvaged something from the wreckage though! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luigi, cheers. A bit more cash, but we think a better hotel and a choice of eating at night rather than hotel meal. Suites me, (except the more cash bit that is)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@twoodwar, We stayed in the Europa a couple of weeks ago, that area is the best for lift access. As for the Europa, it was good enough, there are lots of bad reviews of the food there but for me it was as expected for a mid priced ski hotel, some meals were good and some were poor. I think some reviewers had unrealistic expectations with limited experience for ski hotel food.

We found a really good bar close by with really friendly staff and punters, Bar Au Planet, great nibbles with every round of drinks.

We had bad luck with the wind on the first two days, the area was closed but good weather for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@twoodwar, Stayed at the Europa three or four seasons ago. Very well located, small rooms but a decent place overall. You have probably dodged a bullet by missing out on dinner. Four courses, ok in quality, but just too much (and I can eat!). Ended up skipping courses as the quantity of food was ridiculous!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must have been deal of the century if its now 3000 more.

Stinks of crystal getting money in just in case
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You have probably dodged a bullet by missing out on dinner

I'd always prefer not to be a captive eater in a hotel, even a good one. Always far too much food and whilst I have no wish to get fat on holiday, neither do I want to subsidise those who do. On a ski holiday, nowadays (ie without anyone else to pay for....) I like a good lunch on the slopes and I don't need two meals a day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, my wife too, however I ski to eat Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimboS wrote:
We stayed in the Europa a couple of weeks ago, that area is the best for lift access.

Really? The Plan Maison bubbles and cable car start a full half hour plus in advance of the Cretaz chair spinning.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad you’re sorted now @twoodwar. What a poor show from Crystal! Hope you have a great time when you get there!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DidierCouch, well it was a one minute flat walk for us and was running by the time we were ready.

I guess early risers not averse to a hike may see it differently.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stellaps, many thanks, @DidierCouch, our revised hotel does a free shuttle. Given its next door to the Cretaz , I assume, and hope it’s over to the cable cars
snow report
@JimboS, the bar looks good. The best we have ever had was bar Roma in Cormayeur, you really did not need an evening meal
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@OTS, never ever going anywhere near Crystal again. Shambolic

I vowed the same after a Crystal shite show in 2018. They just ignore you, deliberately send you nonsense comms, dire, dire experience all round.
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
@JimboS, the bar looks good. The best we have ever had was bar Roma in Cormayeur, you really did not need an evening meal

Yeah the 'Nibbles' in there were quite substantial......
snow report
Cinsha wrote:
twoodwar wrote:
@OTS, never ever going anywhere near Crystal again. Shambolic

I vowed the same after a Crystal shite show in 2018. They just ignore you, deliberately send you nonsense comms, dire, dire experience all round.

To add some balance, I've had maybe a dozen weeks with Crystal, and all of them have met or exceeded the expectations of getting you there, providing accommodation, feeding you twice a day, and getting you back home.
snow report
@moffatross, glad about that, but I judge a company by what they do when things get difficult, not when it all goes well for them. By that standard Crystal have failed. They have however refunded in full within 3 working days, which is something. Still a total fiasco. I am a potential customer for life, ….. gone!
ski holidays
@twoodwar, Thanks for sharing your experience. This is another aspect of why, again, I decided I wasn't booking anything this season. I've used Crystal many times over the years with no problem so they were, and still are, bombarding me with emails literally pleading with me to book.
They sent me surveys, maybe in early autumn 2020 on what would make me/stop me booking for 20/21 and I see specifically pointed out that having read their various guarantees in detail I could not see anything that protected me against being sent anywhere that skiing was possible if my first choice resort or even country wasn't. This was followed up by emails seeking further clarification and I never got a satisfactory answer.
We're now planning 2023's holidays and are going to DIY it as the hotels are happy to provide the specific guarantees and will be using Jet 2 flights as they seem to have built a great reputation for flexibility over the last two years.
snow report
In a way it's astonishing that package tour companies have survived the last couple of years - not surprising, I suppose, if they have made some major mistakes along the way. The key issue with DIY holidays is the transfers - which often cost more than flights - but perhaps the present inflated car hire prices will drop once car production gets back to normal. The key advantage of DIY is a vastly greater choice of resorts and accommodation.
snow conditions
@robboj, I’m now on Jet 2 from Manchester, transfer minibus to Cervinia, phoned Hotel direct in Cervinia and agreed terms. Shame Crystal can’t run a tour operation like this
ski holidays
@pam w, agreed. I also hate car hire. Simply too worried about any damage issues.
latest report
Over the years, as it’s just been the two of us, we’ve always booked package hols, getting on towards 50 at the last count. Used small independents & the big guys. The majority of which have been with Crystal (Thomson Ski before this). They have had £000’s off us over the years.

We’ve slowly watched the erosion of what’s offered. We still go away with people we met via social skiing years ago.

There’s no doubt the double hit of Brexit & Covid has hit these companies hard. No more cheap British labour as reps on the ground in the EU. Lots of EU reps when we arrived at Turin, doing very little from what could be seen. Only one rep in resort when there should be two. No direct phone number to contact.

We’ve always said if you need a rep whilst away, things have gone wrong. Our issue was a cocked up return transfer & subsequent lost baggage from the flight (TUI emailed me to say it was lost without trace the day after I’d had it returned rolling eyes )

I have followed the tales on here & social media this season with horror. Regardless of whether it’s accepted standard practice, what’s been going on is just not acceptable.

We’re off again in just over a week - Crystal again. Thankfully, as of today, our bargain trip still seems to be on - & to the correct resort at the moment (I’m not holding my breath though). We wanted to postpone as I’m just recovering from Covid caught on the last trip but, yes you’ve guessed it, we couldn’t get through & no reply to emails.

We’ve already had lots of discussions & the one thing that’s certain for next year - no more package deals for us! At least if it all goes t*ts up, we’ve only ourselves to blame.
latest report
robboj wrote:
@twoodwar, Thanks for sharing your experience. This is another aspect of why, again, I decided I wasn't booking anything this season. I've used Crystal many times over the years with no problem so they were, and still are, bombarding me with emails literally pleading with me to book.

That sums up my position as well.

I usually use "Crystal Ireland"....which have a smaller office, are easier to get through to and have experienced staff who have been there for years, so you get continuity. During Covid, it took longer to get them on the phone, but usually succeeded within 20 mins. I didn't book, but was asking questions about what would happen if there was a Covid outbreak in resort, in hotel or with me personally. I didn't like the uncertainty and the high prices, so decided not to book.
ski holidays
Tour Ops versus DIY
Where is the groundhog ?
latest report
@twoodwar, there does seem to be quite a lot of this sort of thing going on. I had something happen on my trip to Saalbach in January. I had a twin room booked in Hotel Berger Sport, good facilities, mid high st, not too long a walk to lifts etc. In December Crystal informed me that hotel was over booked on room quota so that had moved me to Eva Garden. This hotel was fractionally lower in status, but most importantly it was much further from lifts - 15+ minute walk etc. They also said I could choose another hotel, but pay extra if it was more expensive or refund if it was cheaper. Anyway, we decided to live with the choice they gave, as we just wanted to get back on the snow, despite the walk and out of town position.

When we got to Saalbach, we were told to check in at Eva Village hotel, not Eva Garden. Eva village is the same group of hotels as Eva Garden, but is much higher standard and right on high st, very near lifts etc and about £500 a head more than our original choice. The good news is that the Eva people told us they had moved us to the Eva Village, without us or Crystal even asking ! Crystal didn't even know this themselves ! Happy days for us, but not necessarily best handling by Crystal. Eva Village was great.

Would I book Crystal again - yes probably - first time in many trips (20+) that there was an issue. I tend to use Crystal for Austria and self organise for France. It always seems to work out financially better with that decision for the 2 countries respectively.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I also hate car hire. Simply too worried about any damage issues.

The answer is to take independent insurance - and not take the extra cover offered by the car hire company. It's not expensive, and if anything goes wrong, very good value. I had a puncture in the dark on a lonely road alongside Lake Annecy. Tyre badly damaged, no spare.
Long story, but was expensive - and my personal car hire insurance paid up without a problem. Insurance4carhire.com - recommended.

The nearest I've come to death on the road was in a tour operator transfer bus in Serbia - that's a long story too, but despite my having asked the rep to ask to driver to slow down, he still nearly killed us all, on a downhill bend on a road covered in ice. I'd prefer to drive myself!
snow report
@pam w, that sounds familiar - you weren't on this bus by any chance? Toofy Grin

snow report
Sweet Jesus!
ski holidays
@Yoda, yes, that looks like it!
latest report
@pam w, small world Laughing
snow report
It was between Kapaonik and Nis airport
snow report
The driver was an idiot. I spoke to the rep, and claimed that one of my kids was feeling sick, going so fast round the bends, and she asked him to slow down. Actually that wasn't true - all the kids were sitting in the back of the bus, as usual, larking around and having a hall. However, they all fell silent when a huge chunk of solid ice broke away and the bus skidded on it, ending up with the back, with the kids, over a big drop. The rep stood up and told everybody to keep their seats, whilst the driver sorted things out. I stood up, in turn, and said we should all get OFF the bus (starting from the back) whilst he did that, and we did. We posted someone well up, and down, the road to warn the other oncoming transfer day buses. Even with an empty bus, the manoevre proved challenging, but eventually we were on our way. Skiing in Serbia later became even more hazardous, of course, when Kapaonik was strewn with landmines. Skullie
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@Lozza1uk, I hope everyone else has this experience, however@JimboS, I made around 6 calls to them. The only good part is I got through. They said the rooms are not now available. I explained I booked in August. Who pinched them?
Reading between the lines it was too good a deal. We bought when Crystal and the market was in peak covid. We are now out, demand picks up, and I believe our rooms have been re sold either by Crystal, or the Hotel or both for much more. They hid behind terms and conditions, and effectively ruined a much looked forward to holiday.
I have though spent 7 hours today online and on the phone directly to Cervinia hotels and succeeded. We now have a good hotel backing on to our original choice the Europa, by the Cretaz lifts. We should have circa £60 each surplus from our Crystal booking;(when I get the money back), but we are now short of evening meals and an International lift pass each. Needless to say £60 does not cover this. Suspect around £500 a head extra to be spent for the 6 of us.
It helps I am retired, otherwise it would have proved pretty impossible.
Thanks again to all for interest and support, my two youngest daughters and partners owe me and my wife a nice drink snowHead

Thanks for sharing the tips, very useful! I’m going through a very similar ordeal with Crystal. Originally booked Hotel Breuil for a week in March but got moved to Sauze d’Olux. I’m also thinking of finding my own accommodation in Cervinia but hopefully use Crystal‘a flight and transfer. Hope you don’t mind me asking, how did you get Crystal to agree on hotels you found yourself? Most available hotels/apartments I can find now are more expensive than what I paid for in the package. Was your hotel similar price? Any tips would be much appreciated!
snow conditions
@Heather2021, get your money back in full! They did this at least. Jet2 Manchester to Turin. Minibus taxi to resort. I phoned hotels directly myself. Suggest you try your original choice. The Hotel will get much more from a direct booking than the discount to a package operator. Good luck, ..oh and if like me never use a tour operator ever again!
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@Heather2021, get your money back in full! They did this at least. Jet2 Manchester to Turin. Minibus taxi to resort. I phoned hotels directly myself. Suggest you try your original choice. The Hotel will get much more from a direct booking than the discount to a package operator. Good luck, ..oh and if like me never use a tour operator ever again!

Thank you! Looks like I may have to go down the DIY route, though the cost of DIY at this stage will cost me a good few hundreds pounds more. Taxi from Turin to Cervinia on its own will be €300, ouch…I might see if I can find someone or another group to share the transfer.

And yes, definitely stay away from Crystal next time. I usually book things myself but opted for package holiday for less hassle during Covid. Good lessons learnt!
snow conditions
Minibus for 6 return 492 Euros, however as per my previous posts the deal was a ‘keep the business going covid deal’ . Too good to be true. We are going to pay circa £500 more per head Crying or Very sad
snow report
I've used Crystal a couple of times (they are the skiing arm of TUI) & found them to be complete cowboys. Booked us into a hotel back b4 Covid promising a bath (not shower, a requirement my Missus insists on) & when we arrive at the hotel it doesn't actually have ANY rooms with baths (despite saying it has in their description), they offered to move us, but not our friends we were with (separate booking), but we'd specifically booked to be almost ski in/out & the other hotels were 1/2 km away! Eventually got a discount, but we wanted what we'd booked not a discount! Decided to give them another try this season as very little available elsewhwre, this time booked us into a hotel promising afternoon tea & cake - guess what, no tea & cake, when questioned the hotel said they used to, but had stopped! Queried with the rep, who you had to walk 1/ mile up the road to find in a bar who said they'd "look into it" never heard anything more & that rep was never seen again! Reported the problem whilst away & again on our return, they've said they'll get back to us within 28 days. Meanwhile their website STILL shows the hotel offering afternoon tea & cake - advertising standards???
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy