Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitz / st johann link?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I’ve skied in both st johann (Tirol) and kitzbhuel a number of times and I’ve often wondered why there isn’t a link over the top / round the side of the kitzbhueler horn?

When we stay in either we just catch the train in between each area but surely in this day or tri-cable gondolas etc there could be a link over the top?

Is it political? Is it a land issue?

I know the Green Party in Austria are pushing to not open up any new ski areas / pistes so this would be an easy way to increase the “linked km” of both areas.

Do any snowheads know why it hasn’t happened?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was wondering the same myself 30 years ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who would benefit from such a link? The Kitzbühel ski lift company can sell more than enough tickets, adding a link would bring in little or no additional income. It would help St Johann so they would have to pay most of the cost, I suspect they dont have the income stream to support the necessary loans etc. As I understand it there is a plan to put in a lift to replace the bus shuttle between Ki West & the Pengelstein lift, which would easily create the "biggest" ski area in Austria (if such things matter). A lot easier / cheaper than putting in a lift to the Kitzbüheler Horn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought the Train was free travel between the two with a lift ticket?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:
I thought the Train was free travel between the two with a lift ticket?

It is included with a 'guest card' if staying locally. As far as I know, only local ski buses are included with lift passes.

We skied at St Johann on Sunday, and Kitzbuhel yesterday, and I was trying to visualise how a skiable link would work on the St Johann side of the Kitzbuhelerhorn where the terrain off of the summit is pretty fierce looking, not really even conducive to a zizag track descent, let alone any direct, fall line ski runs. And the south facing side of the Kitzbuhelerhorn above Kitzbuhel looked like it had pretty skinny snow cover on its lower half too, so would need artificial snowmaking to keep it open season round.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Environmental impact of ski resorts is horrendous enough already without yet another gondola encouraging ppl who don’t really care about skiing to turn the alps into a big holiday resort full of ppl getting stoned on alcohol and carbohydrates
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Kitzbuhel a few years ago and we got the train on 3 of the 6 days.

We didn't pay, assumed the train was free with a lift pass when wearing ski clothes as per the Zillertal valley. I don't recall any guards checking anything.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So yes the trains are free if you have a valid lift ticket and are in ski wear / gear and i have used them many times and its a easy system, its a enjoyable part of the holiday as you feel like you are travelling to see / ski somewhere new, i was just wondering why two areas which sit less than 500m apart are not linked as its Obvious.

As for how you would do it i agree that a ski run down the north side of the Horn would be very difficult to achieve, there is a existing gondola and ski run down the right as you look at the front of the horn (from the kitz side) called the Raintal. the terrain up and over the ridge from that point is much more shallow and could accommodate a run and a gondola.

The alternative is that there is no run and its just a link lift, which is pretty common when you think about it, the kitz 3S is just a link no runs, the Peak2Peak in Whister or the Brevent - Flegere link in Chamonix
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy