Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance experience

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from an amazing week in Saalbach however, one of our party picked up a broken arm on the slopes. Here’s her review of how her insurance company looked after her:

“Columbus - they have been brilliant both times on ski accidents and I also had to do a big claim on a cancelled holiday when my Dad died. If a company is to be judged by the service you get when something goes wrong and you need to claim I would give them 10/10. Straight through to 24/7 emergency helpline when at hospital, English speaking professional Not a random call centre. No need to chase - they were extremely pro- active. I have been with them for years now. They don’t take the p on annual price increase either - any increase is always reasonable and competitive.”

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-02-22 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Keith_b, unfortunately for many of us this rules them out...
Quote:
Cover is included for off-piste skiing when you get our winter sports cover, but it is only valid if you ski within the resort boundaries or you are skiing with a qualified guide.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, but many of us don't go off piste, or only do so with a guide, so rules it in for us
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, sure. I am not negating @Keith_b, review which is useful. Just trying to save others time as for many it's something that rules out certain companies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And it says valid if off piste within resort boundaries even without a guide ... appreciate US/EU distinctions but may not be as limiting as it first appears.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Keith_b, Good to hear as just booked insurance for a week with Columbus.

Started using them as they were recommended by Ski Safari who we use when going to Canada.

Also if you go on the Ski Safari website and into FAQ and insurance, there is a link to get to Columbus which gives you a discount
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What does "off piste skiing within the resort boundaries" really mean though?

Do resorts have an official "boundary" and if so where can you see it? As far as the resort is concerned, isn't anything off-piste essentially out of bounds? At what point does "in-bound" off-piste become "out-of-bounds" off-piste?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pctaylor, much debated/discussed. In North America there is a very distinct boundary between that managed by the resort (including off piste) and outside (what they would term the back country). In Europe there is piste (clearly marked piste) and off piste (everything beyond those markers). The terminology used by many/most travel insurance is confusing in this respect. But in general if it says anything like you have to ski with a qualified guide off piste then that it's better to assume that is the the European definition.

As an aside it does intrigue me how many people are not covered when they dabble off piste i.e., go just the other side of the piste markers. Or indeed to what extent any insurance companies go to ensure that it isn't the case.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I wonder also.

You would have thought by now there would have been enough insurance claims that highlight the grey area in the wording of the policies that they would actually have a clear definition of what they actually cover off-piste...both in Europe and America. What are all these lawyers paid for?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually the more I read on their website the more it seems they do cover off piste without a guide:

https://customerhelp.columbusdirect.com/en/support/solutions/articles/80000559030-why-is-travel-insurance-for-winter-sports-important-
https://www.columbusdirect.com/travel/winter-sports/

Also they cover ski touring which inherently is mostly outside resort boundaries.

I have messaged them to get clarification.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, That's useful info. I'm a piste skier but try and get off-piste cover 'just in case'.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Their reply to me
Quote:
Thanks for getting in touch.

You will not be covered for claims where you have knowingly endangered either your own life or those in your party if your experience r skill levels fall below those required to participate in your activity, particularly when you are not wit a professionally qualified guide or instructor.

I hope this sheds light to your query. If there’s anything else we can help with – please let us know.

Best regards and stay safe,

Could be read a few ways that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy