Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using 3G data cards abroad...

Poster: A snowHead
I got a "free" 3G data card with my new laptop. I didn't really think to hard about what £5/MB meant - I mean, we live in a broadband age, right? (Pay as you use contract).

Just got my first "proper" bill. I'm almost too embarrassed to post this. But I think I should - as a salutary lesson.

£433

Sad Sad

Don't. Don't. Don't be tempted by "everywhere" connectivity if you're going to have to pay the bill yourself.

1MB is nothing in our internet rich age. £5/MB adds up mighty swiftly when transferring corporate e-mails and surfing SHs... Absolutely crazy pricing.

Not happy.

Not happy at all.

Previously drafted letter of complaint (about sundry other client service incompetences) now includes several new paras. Copies to Global CEO, UK MD and UK Marketing Director of mobile phone provider.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch! That's gotta hurt Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, ouch, theres goes three ski passes Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, Ooo err Shocked Good job you are seriously rich. Shocked

Thanks for the warning Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I was aware of the costs, was extra careful and two weeks in VT before and during the EoSB gave me an April phone bill of £395!. Roughly 50/50 voice/data
Still, I'd told myself that I'd only be upset if it was over £400.

Even so, it's still a bloody ripoff!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, it does.

hibernia, yep, or my proposed touring boots.

snowbunny, a good job indeed, and stunningly attractive too (allegedly).

admin, Too true. An absolute rip off. And really stupid. I'm just not going to use it anymore (anyone want to buy a "£199" data card?). So instead of a comfy £50-75 drip from now on, the organisation in question will get 0.

Not an ideal model for a subscription business now is it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, yikes, thanks for the warning.

Oh, and,
David Murdoch wrote:
..............snowbunny, a good job indeed, and stunningly attractive too (allegedly).............

I have always assumed snowbunny was stunningly attractive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick Zotov,
Quote:

I have always assumed snowbunny was stunningly attractive.

Blush Blush

Please keep up the compliments, I'm enjoying the feeling, though I do accept that it's probably the effects of the drugs you are consuming, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WiFi's the way to go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you need phone and internet abroad and it has to be easily portable http://www.satcomms.co.uk/ BGAN works out about 8p/Meg (cheapest) depending on the supplier and the plan you take.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny wrote:
David Murdoch, Ooo err Shocked Good job you are seriously rich. Shocked

Thanks for the warning Sad

Snowbunny Your concern is quite touching wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman,
Quote:
WiFi's the way to go
I paid a ludicous amount for 30 minutes WiFi in Helsinki Airport recently. If I remember rightly it was something like 12 euros. Besides WiFi only covers hotspots, so if you need to pick up your e-mails and post on snowheads while up Col Pers then WiFi just wont hack it...
Here in Germany you can now get a flat rate on E-Plus for data at about 40E/month, or you can get 5GB/month on Vodaphone for about the same price, but they don't cover roaming Sad
Apparently the EU is starting an initiative to get roaming charges banned completely inside the EU. Good move I think, but don't hold your breath.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie, that's much more like it. It's hardly what I'd call a settled price for something that costs so little but ~40Eu is a price that makes it a practical option.

Here, orange charge 3 times that (£75/month!) for their unlimited data service but, bad as that is, as ever it's the roaming charges (calls and data) that are criminal. Currently £10/mb they are promoting the 'generocity' of their upcoming reduction to only £8/mb with pre-booked packages that can potentially reduce the cost to £5/mb.

IT doesn't actually cost any more to d/l data in France than it does in the UK; the infrastructure is there - allowing for each operator, your own and your foreign host network, to take a cut one would expect, at most, to be paying double what one would at home.
IMO it's little better than theft (yes, I know I don't have to use it but I'm being dramatic darling rolling eyes )and the new EU directive doesn't go anywhere near far enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Apparently the EU is starting an initiative to get roaming charges banned completely inside the EU. Good move I think, but don't hold your breath.

That would be a good move. I think it would help to maintain Europe's dominance in mobile, by expanding the market.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe competition will force prices down? I suppose one of the causes of the high charges may be the tax on 3G imposed by the government in the form of the licence auction - and companies recovering that partly by slipping in charges for services that are not known value items.
ski holidays
admin, you can't use too strong words for the way I feel. And just look at the net effect. Rather than lauding the benefits of being able to connect easily everywhere the first thing I do is open up a bunch of very negative viral marketing vectors.

The problem I have is that the networks are just being plain stupid. They should look to the low cost airline model. Stop trying to gouge a few people and make it convenient and economically sensible to open up vast economies of scale. BA made record profits last quarter - alongside Ryanair and Easyjet. More people travelled at sensible costs to more places. BA business class was still as full as they wanted it to be. Up the back, lots of happy people were filling seats that would otherwise be empty. The marginal cost of a single passenger is way lower than they would have us believe.

A massive increase in air passengers at much reduced discrete margins but massively enhanced asset loads translates into a much more profitable business.

It's worse for the Telcos. Yes, they do need huge investment in a very large infrastructure but as you say, the marginal cost per MB of data transmitted is close to zero. Getting 200 people to pay a bill of £10 (say) per month would be significantly more interesting to me than trashing one potential client once for £433.

Convergence will happen. Airtime will not be used for phone calls except for VOIP. There is only a very small likelihood (based on current technologies) that this isn't going to happen. So, it does make one laugh when T-Mobile (not my provider) have in their Ts & Cs that anyone using their 3G data card for VOIP will be banned from using it.

Feckin' IDIOTS!!

(Rant over)...
latest report
Nick Zotov, I would submit that that is simply an excuse. The 3G operating licences have been paid for (if we wanted proof that the management of these companies are idiots we need look no further!). The cost of adding clients is near zero. The cost of operation is still being paid for whether those assets are being utilised or not.

I maintain 1 x £433 is still less than 200 x £10 x 12 repeating. I know which business I would want.

Worse, there is no competition. There is an effective (and in France, actual) cartel. We need a cartel buster. Look at broadband in the UK (and compare to Switzerland). Almost every month sees some provider producing cheaper rates for "faster" speeds. It's not clear to me who needs 16Mb/s connectivity at home, but there you go.
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
It's not clear to me who needs 16Mb/s connectivity at home, but there you go.

Some of the Bit Torrent fans here might wink
snow report
Masque,

Laughing Laughing
latest report
David Murdoch, I am in a business where we have had to buy expensive capital equipment. The marginal cost for its use is near free. But the cost has to amortised against each item produced using it. The same applies, I guess, to the 3G licences and mobile broadband use. However, I do agree that the regulatory authorities should be vigilant against cartels. Personally, I think consumer prices will go the same way as airline fares.
latest report
Nick Zotov, for sure. However, the 3G infrastructure has a limited life. We are already looking to 3.5G and 4G. Not to mention WiMax, WiBro and the like. I would imagine that revenue maximisation would be of some importance and in mass market terms it's usually better to maximise revenue paying customers first rather than maximising customer revenues.

Again, assuming zero marginal costs, £24,000 is still more money than £433. There are clearly a whole bunch of near-optimal price points but I reckon the current pricing structure is rather far from optimal in an effectively saturated marketplace.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Something else I had to look up... rolling eyes - I was hearing how criminals charges are being pressed against some 2,000 people donwloading files, can't remember whether it was in Germany or here in France...
ski holidays
Masque, d'you reckon? And, if you have 16Mb connectivity - just what actual end to end throughput do you see?
snow report
 brian
brian
Speaking of which, I had an idea this winter to write cheap-forecast.com which was going to be a little script to strip the info out of snow-forecast for a given resort and just display the important text (freezing level, snow amount, windspeed) for display on my puny little gprs phone.

Unfortunately with web scripting skills of absolutely none, I haven't got round to it rolling eyes

Must be a clever snowHead out there who could knock something up in minutes wink
latest report
In reality bit torrent coupled to a 16mb connection might get a 2 gb file across in a few hrs - i've only use 1mb - but the system works best and faster if you have lots of people sharing the file.. so depending on this there is no way of telling how long it will take. Its the whole point of it really
latest report
PG wrote:
Masque wrote:
Something else I had to look up... rolling eyes - I was hearing how criminals charges are being pressed against some 2,000 people donwloading files, can't remember whether it was in Germany or here in France...

It seems Bit Torrent is striving to be legit, and the movie industry may be getting to grips with peer-to-peer distribution.

http://news.com.com/BitTorrent+inks+studio+distribution+deal/2100-1026_3-6070004.html
ski holidays
If the 3G network providers don't change their tune soon in terms or cost of service they will be dead, wifi and wimax has the potential to kill mobile networks as wireless networks spread. Are there any GSM operators not burdoned by the cost of 3G licences? These could probably provide faster and faster GPRS services at less cost than 3G.

I got stung by O2 the first month I was in the USA, now subsequently I had the choice for voice calls of using O2 to phone home at nearly £1 a minute, or using VoIP at £0.02p per minute, needless to say O2 didnt get much money after the first month! Laughing
ski holidays
That price is quite outrageous.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, dead right. Roaming wifi is being rolled out as I type. WiMax is even more fun.

Kramer, thank you sir. It is.
ski holidays
I'm just thinking about this as I write. I download easily 3-4Gb a month over broadband, at those prices that would be £15-20000 Shocked Admittedly most of that data isn't to my PC, but all the same.

Seeing as though the only reason that I can see for getting 3G is for portable internet access, the pricing policy does stink of short termism.

BTW, if I need to speak to my mate down in Cornwall these days, I do it through X-Box live, possibly (but not exclusively) whilst racing him on Project Gotham Racing 3, and it only costs me the price of a yearly subscription. Very Happy

David Murdoch, it is a good job that you're loaded, stunningly attractive, and have a way with the laydeez. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Winterhighland, the business model behind 3G is indeed hard to fathom! In fact as far as I remember it was only in Britain and Germany that the governments managed to so shamelessly fleece the operators for licence fees. In Italy the auction collapsed, and in France and Finnland the spectrum was more or less given away. Even so, it still costs billions to put up a 3G network that in the end can only potentially produce higher revenues than 2.5G by getting everyone hooked on doing snowheads anywhere anytime faster than 2.5G! There are a few other arguments in favour of 3G, such that you can theoretically squeeze more users / hertz of spectrum in urban environments, but it's marginal at best. In fact 2.5G currently offers services via EDGE that give you similar effective througput as 3G ( 240KBit/s vs 384KBit/s )

On the other hand I have big problems believing that WiFi or WiMax are going to rule. They just don't offer the same mobilty service as 2.5 or 3G. I find it hard to believe that people will want to run down to the local hotspot to do their surfing. In the same vein, they also don't offer any effective form of load balancing, so once you get more than a few users loading the cell it just starts to grind. All in all 3G is an much more sophistcated system than WiFi, but is currently suffering from slightly retarded management/marketing ( but then who doesn't ).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy