Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - April Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
I'm thinking of heading to Austria early April and need somewhere relatively snow sure that's not too far West. I was considering Hintertux/Mayrhofen or Kitzbuhel but could do with some recommendations from seasoned travellers please!
Cheers
KB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kidbwapo, No to Kitzbühel, it is too late to be reliable for snow. The Zillertal is OK as if it gets too much sunshine then there is Hintertux which is probably at its best in spring, much of the Zillertal skiing is pretty high so is probably OK anyway. The normal answer to this question is Ischgl, reliable snow until the beginning of May. Other possibilities would be Sölden / Obergurgl, Serfaus, Obertauern.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux seems the best option then? I thought Ischgl was party central which put me off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been skiing/boarding in Mayrhofen in April for more than 20 years, in general good snow, fresh dumps most years and the odd very warm slushy year. Always have a day trip or two up to Hintertux if too warm. Zell and Kaltenbach also good for days out if snow suits.

We like it there at that time of the year for the late afternoon shorts and T shirt vibe in the village.

Hmm, I haven't updated this thread for a few years

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2520981
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah cheers Jimbo, that's really helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kidbwapo, after the events of March 2020 Ischgl has been trying to get away from the party thing. I personally loath the village but no doubt the skiing is excellent especially late season. Given the choice I would much prefer staying somewhere in the Zillertal to Ischgl but the skiing in Ischgl is arguably better. Large element of personal choice here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, would you be content skiing for 2 solid weeks in Ischgl? I could do zillertal for 2 weeks I enjoyed kaltenbach and zell terrain alot, we skis for 2 weeks at Easter
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mother hucker wrote:
@munich_irish, would you be content skiing for 2 solid weeks in Ischgl? I could do zillertal for 2 weeks I enjoyed kaltenbach and zell terrain alot, we skis for 2 weeks at Easter

I for one prefer ischgl over Zillertal for the skiing, and I have been there for two weeks before without getting bored. Remember that you can ski the whole Paznautal on the same liftpass in Ischgl.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love both areas, but only ever done Ischgl in Jan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I thought Ischgl was party central which put me off
After visiting in January, I can confirm that participation is not compulsory wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl have been trying to rein-in some of the negative aspects of the apres ski for a while now.

Not sure if this was actively policed

https://www.thelocal.at/20161122/ischgl-ski-resort-bans-off-slope-ski-boots-after-8pm/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jagerbull wrote:
Ischgl have been trying to rein-in some of the negative aspects of the apres ski for a while now.

Not sure if this was actively policed

https://www.thelocal.at/20161122/ischgl-ski-resort-bans-off-slope-ski-boots-after-8pm/

This ban was/is enforced - Mainly due to accidents happening with ski gear and alcohol combined.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jagerbull, the village employs private security to keep undesirable elements in check.

@Mother hucker, long time (30+ years) since I did a two week skiing holiday, so difficult to say. There is plenty to try nearby in spring, ski touring both in Ischgl (the Heidelberger Hutte is nearby) and Galtür, plenty of off piste in both too. However the Zillertal is probably better for the inevitable bad weather days and probably more other activities like bikes or kayaking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guess it's best to stay in Mayrhofen then?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kidbwapo, how early? First week snowbombing is on. Dont know how popular this is,but photos make it look busy. You may find that puts accommodation prices up / limits availability
snow report
We have booked our accommodation for Mayrhofen for april through sunweb
snow report
We're looking to head out April 1st for 6 days or so. Is there anywhere nicer around Mayrhofen to stay?
snow conditions
I haven't skied it before so have no idea. Only ever done Lech in Austria. Usually I'm Portes du Soleil or Trois Vallees
snow conditions
kidbwapo wrote:
We're looking to head out April 1st for 6 days or so. Is there anywhere nicer around Mayrhofen to stay?

What are you looking for when you say Nicer? Also how many are you?
snow report
I got slightly put off by a friend who said it was a little run down but as I said, I don't know.

Just three of us, two adults and a six year old.
snow report
There was lost of new builds there when we went a couple of years ago. We loved the town. I would look for close to Penkenbhan lift given it sounds like you arent a beginner. My family all learned on the Ahorn MANY years ago (i was 12 then).

Are you after self catered or a hotel. I would be concerned by how busy it may be.
snow report
@kidbwapo, it's not run down. it's a very nice town
snow conditions
That's what I wondered, how busy it would be with the festival. Should we chance it do you think?
snow report
The town will be very busy and LOUD during snowbombing. The slopes won't necessarily be, lots of revelers never make it on to the hill.

If that's not your thing it's best to avoid snowbombing week.

As for the comment on Mayrhofen being run down, completely wrong, the place is very affluent and extremely well kept.
latest report
Ok thanks everyone. I'm going to go ahead and book it. Any final recommendations on ski schools for my 6 year old?
ski holidays
You sure? Dont want to put you off, but Snowbombings not really child friendly unless your kids are used a bit of unruly behaviour.

The main street near the lift .

Promo video.

http://youtube.com/v/UIOmBtRELqI
ski holidays
Oh, I see.....hmmm. Perhaps a rethink. Anywhere near Mayrhofen worth considering, I'm an Austria noob.
snow report
Saying that we have been there for 5 or more, over the years.

Snowbombing 2007 with the kids.

Unruly parental issues.

Us watching Madness 2008.

http://youtube.com/v/AXxnhqh__Hg

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 6-03-22 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are your dates flexible, a week before or after will be business as usual. If not then you could go further up the valley but the towns further up lack a bit of life. If fixed to the dates I think about Ischgl.
snow report
kidbwapo wrote:

Mayrhofen itself is rather nice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy