Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finally made it to the mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Got to bansko this afternoon in the sun. No recent snow but pistes are good according to sources. Anyone around let me know we'll be here for a week.

Board and gear all setup so going to bed early to get up there before the mayhem of the Gondola queue. I feel like it's Christmas and I'm 10 Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's good to finally get on the snow. Enjoy! Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sure is!

First day under the belt all good. Tired legs in the afternoon so called it a day at 4pm. Happy end pub for a few beers, happy days!

Did anyone say queues? Omg I've never seen a queue like this here or anywhere. It's unreal. It's got to be 1 km it's nuts.

Minibus to the top is 8lv through that changes to 15lv after 9am. Anyway I'm strapping up have a nice day Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
was going to ask about the queues. The gondola queues are ridiculous.
They used to get better after around 10ish - by then everyone has made it up the mountain & late for their lessons.
Some Hotels & Ski Schools that are in the lift operators pocket does VIP lift passes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, I’m heading out to bansko in 3 weeks time, can anyone tell me the best way to obtain Bulgarian lev, is it better to take pounds sterling with me and exchange in bank/ booth , use my debit card in bank to buy lev or just pay for things with debit card? . Any other bansko advice would be much appreciated, ta
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rizzotherock, does your bank charge you a foreign currency transaction fee?

I have a monzo card that I use abroad, and I just use that everywhere I can, unless a place doesn't take cash. I don't change up any cash before going abroad, and just withdraw some out the cash point if needed.

It's a better rate than changing up loads of money before hand as you get the actual exchange rate, not the exchange booths rate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rizzotherock, will really depend on your card’s T&C. Similar to @swskier I used a revolut card everywhere until my bank’s MasterCard credit card removed foreign transaction surcharge in the last couple of years and just apply spot rate, so now I use that too. Whereas Amex still charge a hefty fee
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rizzotherock wrote:
Hi, I’m heading out to bansko in 3 weeks time, can anyone tell me the best way to obtain Bulgarian lev, is it better to take pounds sterling with me and exchange in bank/ booth , use my debit card in bank to buy lev or just pay for things with debit card? . Any other bansko advice would be much appreciated, ta

The travel money booths in Bansko tend to rip you off.

Monzo/Starling/Revoult cards will all allow you to take money out of the wall for no fee - but they do all have limits (hence good idea to have more than 1) - also a good idea to take some lev with you.
Lev is pinned to the Euro (a smidge under 2 lev = 1 euro).

Using your own bank card depends on the fee they charge. Lots of high st banks will add on a transaction fee.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve only got a standard Lloyds debit card and there seems to be a list of charges for every time it’s used abroad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can apply for a Monzo card and get a virtual card to use straight away - contactless on your phone.

When I mean contactless, I mean you can use it for any amount with verification by thumb / facial recongnition / pin

https://monzo.com/help/opening-an-account/how-to-open-a-Monzo-Personal-Account
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rizzotherock, Similarly to to what @OTS says with Monzo. You can do the same with Revolut.

I have a Revolut account that is essentially a savings pot from ski instructing at dry slope. When you set up an account, it is immediately available via your phone. If you want an actual plastic card, you have to order one separately for a £5 charge.

So you definitely have time to set up either a Monzo or Revolut, and be rid of all foreign transaction charges.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same for the Starling account. I opened an account a couple of weeks ago for my trip next week.
Uploaded a video as part of the application and was approved within 2 hours.
Could immediately add the account to Google Pay for phone based contactless payments.
Ordered a card free of charge for ATM withdrawals.
I believe I can make up to 6 withdrawals a day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ideal thanks, plenty of options there to think about then
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz wrote:
Sure is!

First day under the belt all good. Tired legs in the afternoon so called it a day at 4pm. Happy end pub for a few beers, happy days!

Did anyone say queues? Omg I've never seen a queue like this here or anywhere. It's unreal. It's got to be 1 km it's nuts.

Minibus to the top is 8lv through that changes to 15lv after 9am. Anyway I'm strapping up have a nice day Very Happy

Ouch!! I went to Bansko 6 years ago and that gondola was a nightmare then!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the rate at the booths is 2.23 some are 2.4 even which is better than uk. My mate is using starling at 2.4 ATM.

The queue is ridonculous never seen a queue like that. Loads of back handers going on. The minibus was carnage too.

Welcome to bansko!!
snow conditions
The pistes are superb tho and it's been chucking down today. Can't wait for the morning....
ski holidays
@Gainz,

Have you asked at accomodation or ski hire place if they will taxi you up? I know pirin sport used to.
latest report
@Mr.Egg, yeah we asked earlier and they will call one in the morning. Heading up at 8am. It's peeing down in town not seen such at any ski resort.
ski holidays
I've heard that Bulgaria doesn't require vaccines, is this the case?
latest report
@K2Punk, yes it is that's how I'm here. PCR test was enough. No problems at airport at all. No covid paases needed for any places so far. Need to reserve the really popular restaurants.

Fresh lines today in knee deep pow. Off piste was awesome but got tracked out by lunchtime. It's heaving here though but fresh snow due in Sunday.
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
@K2Punk, yes it is that's how I'm here. PCR test was enough. No problems at airport at all. No covid paases needed for any places so far. Need to reserve the really popular restaurants.

Fresh lines today in knee deep pow. Off piste was awesome but got tracked out by lunchtime. It's heaving here though but fresh snow due in Sunday.

That's good news for me too then and the snow sounds great!

I take it you did a private (not NHS) PCR and just uploaded the result to an app or something?

I've not been away skiing for 7 or 8 years now and never to Bulgaria so, if you have any resort advice or suggestions, I'm more than happy to listen.

Enjoy tomorrow ripping it! Cool
snow report
Went to Banks a few years back. We used to get a taxi ups each morning and the guy was crazy driving up the mountain at speed. Stinking of booze. He was reliable though!
snow report
@K2Punk, no need to upload anything, I had it on my phone and showed it after customs. The Gondola queue is a nightmare the minibus queue is short but a little Argy bargy going on. We opted for taxi which drops you at mosta lift if the queue at the car park is too big. The police restrict access after 9 ish
latest report
Gainz wrote:
@K2Punk, no need to upload anything, I had it on my phone and showed it after customs. The Gondola queue is a nightmare the minibus queue is short but a little Argy bargy going on. We opted for taxi which drops you at mosta lift if the queue at the car park is too big. The police restrict access after 9 ish

Great stuff!

It's good to know about the queues.

Thanks fir your help and enjoy the rest of your trip!
latest report
Heading home today and it's dumping with snow. Zero Vis on the mountain so decided not to go up as still needed to pay an extra day and brawl my way to the top. Really don't have the energy this morning. Have to take a PCR soon from megalab which is near predela 1. Results after 2pm. Have to book a day 2 test for plf. It's been a good week but bansko has become too expensive for what it's worth. Best place to eat is the station next to euphoria, euphoria was best place for apres when sunny, happy end was fun. Veranda spitroast lamb was the best meal followed by smoky mountain chicken and ribs. Worst meals was log house and 5M got the runs from the latter. Probably the last time I come here now. Next year Whistler fingers crossed.
snow report
Gainz wrote:
Next year Whistler fingers crossed.

The ridiculous to the sublime perhaps? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, tell you what I managed to get on the hill in the ARVO yesterday as the lure fresh pow was too much to resist. I got to the Gondola at 12.30 so got a half day pass for 30 quid and got to the top in 25mins as no queue. Rode in a foot of the lightest pow since Utah. It was unreal. Not many people around and made fresh lines for 3 hrs. So no not ridiculous at all.

Last dash for the transfer c/o a swift pint at happyend pub. Negative PCR test cert in hand and off to Sofia while it still bucketed with snow. Was gutted to leave but had to go. Got back in UK late last night no issues at all apart from that nonsense queue for border control in Stansted.
snow report
@Gainz, Sounds like the perfect finale Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy