Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brits, As A Percentage F Skiers, France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

There was recently a thread-within-a-thread about the %ages of nationalities who 'financially support' French resorts. I'm trying to find it again. Any ideas? Ta.

I've repeated it in general on another site, only to be branded 'totally incorrect'. Any help welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two images I posted

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I recall you posting them, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, Does the data on that page suggest that 62% of all visitors to VT (for example) in a season are Brits? As in, am I reading it correctly?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliegolf, The inset pic shows UK 41.7% - presumably of the foreign total.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why I ski in Italy right there. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The list on the left is the proportion of foreign visitors to each resort so Tignes is 49% French 51% Jean foreigner.

At a national level 32.2% of ski visitors are foreign. Of that 32.2 %, 41.7% are Brits, so 13.4 % of skiers in France are Brit.

Not sure how the data is derived, does a French guy who comes for a weekend once a year count the same as a Brit on a package, and let's not forget our reputation for spending more in resorts than our French 'concrete campers' who bring all their groceries from Paris.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my experience, it was the Dutch who were most criticised for bringing everything with them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They don't figure largely, but in the last couple of years before I sold my apartment I noticed some Italian skiers in Les Saisies (generally the girls with the biggest black puffer jackets). One of the apartment owners in our development was also Italian, though a markedly expatriate one, with a Dutch wife.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, The Dutch also bring lots and also are quite happy to live with as many as they can cram into an apt. A few doors down from me a place with 5, ahem, beds, often had a dozen in! But they do spend in the bars. There are more disparaging comments from French business owners about their fellow countrymen than than other nationalities IME.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

There are more disparaging comments from French business owners about their fellow countrymen than than other nationalities IME.

Indeed - and especially disparaging about the Parisians. But then Frenchmen on one side of a smallish mountain are disparaging about those on the other side....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
But then Frenchmen on one side of a smallish mountain are disparaging about those on the other side....

Made me laugh. But so true.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Not sure how the data is derived, does a French guy who comes for a weekend once a year count the same as a Brit on a package

Indeed I have no idea where this data comes from, how it was collected or even what it refers to. As @chocksaway points out, is it number of skier days or number of single individuals who ski there. So does the 6 skier days of a Crystal tourist count more than the local who skis every Saturday, Sunday and the odd mid week but doesn't actually stay in the resort.

For these reasons I take the figures published with a massive pinch of salt.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Assuming that the figures on that picture are correct it implies that approximately 13.5% of visitors to French ski resorts are from the UK. Still seems a bit high to me but long time since I skied in France. It does make some sense though, France does seem to be the most popular ski country for brits, probably on the basis it is the easiest to get to and traditionally was pretty cheap (in ski terms). Not sure the "value for money" element is so true now, the cheap chalet holiday seems to be a thing of the past perhaps other places as value for money now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the cheap chalet holiday seems to be a thing of the past

most of the expensive chalet holidays seem to be a thing of the past too. But France probably has the best range of self-catering ski in/ski out accommodation at all price points, from rabbit hutch to luxurious and lift passes are no more (or less) expensive than anywhere else, I think. A ski holiday, wherever you take it, is as expensive as you make it.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Self catering in a French apartment is still probably the best value for money skiing you can get. The cheeper places like Bulgaria don't offer the same quality of skiing. The other main ski areas are just as easy to get to so I don't think that has much to do with the popularity of France.

Acually in the big ski areas about 1 in 8 visitors being from the UK outside of school holidays feels about right but I suspect during the school holiday period and in the less well known resorts it could be a lot lower.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Assuming that the figures on that picture are correct it implies that approximately 13.5% of visitors to French ski resorts are from the UK. Still seems a bit high to me but long time since I skied in France. It does make some sense though, France does seem to be the most popular ski country for brits, probably on the basis it is the easiest to get to and traditionally was pretty cheap (in ski terms). Not sure the "value for money" element is so true now, the cheap chalet holiday seems to be a thing of the past perhaps other places as value for money now.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1172805/nationality-of-the-customer-base-of-areas-skiable-in-france/
https://www.statista.com/topics/7267/winter-sports-and-ski-holidays-in-france/#

@Charliegolf
I was saying in a thread that brits tend to spend more.
So even 10% are more likely to spend money in resort on food & drink, than the french doing self catering & picnicking on the slopes
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4895366&highlight=spend#4895366

& weathercam photo is a bit further down
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy