Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Positioning bindings on 2015 Black Crows Orb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Newbie here - I've just bought some 2nd hand 2015 Black Crows Orb 179s, the person I got them from must have small feet, as the bindings won't accommodate my boots.
So I need to move the bindings - that's no great sweat - unscrew them, drill some new holes, and I'm done.
BUT - where to place my boot.....
I have another pair for piste days - these will be for off-piste (that I'm not the good at) and piste touring around to find the off-piste.
Suggestions I've found suggest maybe -1cm for predominantly off-piste, but does Black Crows make that adjustment for me as it's a largely off-piste ski (I think)?
Further complication gets thrown in when I read that sometimes the arrow marking the centerline is off - mine is 77.5cm from the tail.
The current Orb (https://www.black-crows.com/gb/en/p/orb/100992-black-yellow-vg.html) suggest a mounting point of -10cm, which would come out at 79.5cm
I can't find the same data for 2015, but the other years I have found are all between -9.3 and -10.
Which do I trust - the specs or the mark on the skis?
All thoughts welcomed!
Pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/35JFsWFCH2aYfmbM7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQshZtFWTZtcEbkZ7

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-02-22 21:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just email the factory and ask 'em.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jimxbob, welcome to shs.

bear in mind you want to offset your bindings to compensate for the natural splay of your feet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah!
This is my first pair of fat skis...
I noticed that the bindings were not installed perfectly centrally - I thought this was just sloppy, but I take it that it's deliberate?
I'm really not sure I'd notice... How do I decide how much?
Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jimxbob, sorry, I was joking, although it has been done, and some boots have been produced with that built in (I've had a pair, not sure I could notice).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@jimxbob, welcome to shs.

bear in mind you want to offset your bindings to compensate for the natural splay of your feet.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
Unless you mount your bindings centrally on the skis (left to right), you'll end up with left and right skis, which is just a pain.

@jimxbob[b], like [b]@spyderjon says, ask Black Crows. Or just mount on the line, that's their recommended location and most likely will work for you. Bear in mind that skis often don't measure to their stated length (so the midpoint my not be 79.5), and check that the lines are in the same place on both skis. Also you need some separation between the existing holes and new ones, otherwise the screws may pull out. Depending on how different your boot size is, it might be easier to mount just off the line to avoid this. Don't forget to seal the old holes, too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf, just poor humour on my part
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't joke with a newbie - I believed you! Embarassed I was going to mark the skis up as left and right!
The skis measure 1cm shorter than stated.
I have emailed black crows - I'll be amazed if they support skis that old, but we'll see how their customer service is!
I've looked at my piste skis and noticed that I've got the bindings set well forward of the mounting mark and never noticed - I may just not be good enough to notice the difference!
Thanks for all your help!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimxbob wrote:
Don't joke with a newbie - I believed you! Embarassed I was going to mark the skis up as left and right!

Hence why I questioned it Very Happy
Some skis are actually left and right, so it's not quite as ridiculous as it may seem. One of my pairs has definite left and right graphics but I don't tend to pay attention to which one goes on which foot.
Mounting about -10 cm back from centre sounds fairly reasonable for a directional freeride ski.
If your piste skis have bindings on tracks where you can move both the toe and the heel independently, try moving them around. I think you'll be surprised how much difference you can feel if you go back ~2 cm. It may not be better but it will help you to understand how the mount point affects the ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jimxbob, so you actually have a boot mounting line? It's not a centre line and will be somewhat towards the back of the ski. Sounds like yours is about right and that lines up with the line on the side of your your boot soles - "normalement", as the French often say, about dodgy building works.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going on 27th, so I will have a play with the track on the piste skis for sure, but I need to mount the other bindings before I go.
I have a bit mounting arrow on the ski, but it's at -12cm, versus the suggested from the website of -10cm for this year's model at least.
I'll see what black crows say, if they come back to me.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy