Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort in April for anxious intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
For some reason my skiing has gone kaput -when I was younger I used to be able to get down French blues, reds and if I was with an instructor down the occasional black, I lost a bit of confidence after a long break I think partly because the skis were so much shorter and I didn't trust them, but I have facebook proof that in 2015 on the first days skiing I got down an icy black in Folcade (albeit an easy black) and after that in France would happily tackle Blues and easy Reds. I had a new hip in 2017 and went back to France a couple of times and stuck to blues and easy reds, but my skiing was defintely more apprehensive (not wanting to break my very expensive hip). I had my other hip replaced in 2021 so I am now bionic and have no pain - but this year I was cacking it down reds and even some steep blues, and just the sound of someone faster skidding down behind me on skis or a snowboard made me freeze. I am not sure what has happened but it's definitely mental, I've been suffering anxiety in everyday life so maybe its just a heightened anxiety all round? This year in Les Sybelles after 2 days of sideslipping and even coming down on my bum when we encountered icy reds I had a day off and then swapped my skis from 170s to 155s, went back to beginner slopes and over the next 3 days got back to being able to ski steepish blue runs but I really could have done with a few more days to build my confidence up (or to decide that at 59 its time to give up altogether).

My daughter has now agreed to accompany me on another holiday this year to try and refind my mojo - but as she is a teacher we are limited to the Easter hols so we won't be going till about 10th April, this isn't ideal as the slopes are likely to be busy - and we need to find a snowsure resort that has wide cruising blue runs and easy reds - any suggestions? Would it be better to go to Austria rather than France? or should I leave it till next year and go "out of season" to somewhere less busy?

I have on my list potentially Kaprun, Zell am See, Obergurgl, Val Thorens, Deux Alpes? I've been to Deux Alpes (about 30 years ago) and my memory is that the only way down was a long narrow green road (I also don't like edges) and that the glacier was pretty flat at the top - but the rest of it is a blur lol! Do the "high" resorts tend to be steep?

We don't need a particularly "big" resort - in fact, I'd rather not pay the lift pass prices for 100's KMs of piste I won't be able to use if they are too advanced.

Looking for any suggestions for resorts to consider? are there any others we should look at? are any of the ones I mentioned more or less suitable? and any advice on getting the confidence back?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will get plenty of responses to this, but they'll all (or all the sensible ones) be focussed round the theme of "get yourself some really good instruction". You are brave to keep skiing with hip replacements but it sounds as though the experience was far from enjoyable. It will be hard, if not impossible, to enjoy skiing without becoming more confident in your technique.

The other advice I'd give you is to stop obsessing about "blues and reds and blacks". Go to a resort with lots of easy cruisey skiing, get yourself some good private lessons and explain to the instructor about your anxiety and loss of confidence and promise yourself a week where the height of your ambition is to enjoy yourself and to ski the nice blue runs really well, and confidently, even when there are others around. A good instructor can give you some "get out of jail" techniques which you can dial in if, despite your intentions, you do find yourself on a slope which is a bit more challenging than you expected.

This is nothing to do with your age. But, like anybody else, it makes sense to do plenty of exercise before you go, to ensure that all the relevant muscles are in good shape, and that your hips, in particular, have a good range of mobility. Your anxiety about damaging your expensive hips is perfectly rational - but there are things you can do to mitigate the risks. Improve your technique, stay away from tough runs, have long lunches.....

The attitude that "the only way down" in LDA is a horrid long narrow green run is standing in your way. The answer is very simple - use the lift...... It's not supposed to be an ordeal.

I'm assuming your doctors are happy for you to be skiing on the new hip?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would recommend Montgenevre. It has high north facing slopes and tends not to be busy at that time and has a lot of wide cruisy blues and some greens. However maybe wait a bit longer before booking as it has had less snow than usual this year. It is normally open till the end of April.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My only memory of LDA was my first ever ski holiday and it wouldn't be on my list, even if you can get the lift down. My second ever ski trip was Montgenevre and it probably is a good option. Ideally you want a nice run at the end of the day back to base, not something steep or narrow and crowded. I think high and north facing should be your priority. Mush from lunchtime onwards is hard work at the best of times and pretty soul destroying if you are anxious.
Val Thorens does have plenty of lower pitch runs radiating up from the centre of the resort, so it is definitely an option.
If there is still decent snow cover - my own favourite recommendation for building confidence would be Courchevel 1650 (Moriond). The slopes are north facing and the snow can be remarkably good late in the season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
You will get plenty of responses to this, but they'll all (or all the sensible ones) be focussed round the theme of "get yourself some really good instruction". You are brave to keep skiing with hip replacements but it sounds as though the experience was far from enjoyable. It will be hard, if not impossible, to enjoy skiing without becoming more confident in your technique.

The other advice I'd give you is to stop obsessing about "blues and reds and blacks". Go to a resort with lots of easy cruisey skiing, get yourself some good private lessons and explain to the instructor about your anxiety and loss of confidence and promise yourself a week where the height of your ambition is to enjoy yourself and to ski the nice blue runs really well, and confidently, even when there are others around. A good instructor can give you some "get out of jail" techniques which you can dial in if, despite your intentions, you do find yourself on a slope which is a bit more challenging than you expected.

This is nothing to do with your age. But, like anybody else, it makes sense to do plenty of exercise before you go, to ensure that all the relevant muscles are in good shape, and that your hips, in particular, have a good range of mobility. Your anxiety about damaging your expensive hips is perfectly rational - but there are things you can do to mitigate the risks. Improve your technique, stay away from tough runs, have long lunches.....

The attitude that "the only way down" in LDA is a horrid long narrow green run is standing in your way. The answer is very simple - use the lift...... It's not supposed to be an ordeal.

I'm assuming your doctors are happy for you to be skiing on the new hip?

This is superb advice.

I have a friend who has similar issues with anxiety and confidence etc and finds Cervinia a great resort. Though in quiet times of the year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I forgot to say there is also a very good ski school in Montgenevre called Apeak.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimummk, and if you have not already done so consider investing in a pair of impact/armoured shorts, which for me certainly add to confidence with my repaired hip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks

I think the advice to get lessons is great - I know that in Samoens they do a course for anxious skiers which includes mindfulness and a lesson - but that would need to wait till next year. It is my intention to take it really easy, and with less pressure, one reason for going with my daughter is that she doesn't keep saying (as hubby does) that I can do it because I've done it before and she won't mind taking it slowly whereas we ski normally with a friend who is a great skier and I get more and more embarrassed the longer she is standing around waiting for me. I keep telling them to go and I'll get down in my own way.

I also found a company that do a 5 day course for fearful skiers, but I'll be honest - I think the last thing I need is to be stuck with other people panicking as well lol! and its very expensive. I think hypnotherapy and lessons may be the answer - I would get a lesson at the Snozone but suspect that it isn't steep enough or icy enough to get me in the position that I'm scared.

In answer to the question about the hips - the doctors are quite happy for me to ski, I have a really good range of motion. I admit am not as fit as I should be, but I am fitter this year than I've been for quite a few years and I'm about 10kgs lighter (although still way to heavy).

If I stop on a steepish slope due to impending snowboard impact and facing left I'm fine - I can turn, if I'm facing right I just can't bring myself to turn and end up side slipping - what the "f" is that all about??? and why have I got this irrational fear that someone else is gonna crash into me? Its only happened once - 15 years ago - and I got a bruised leg and a bruised ego. I skied the next day. I think I've just got more "grumpy old woman" as I've got older and don't have any trust in other people to be sensible. I keep thinking - you are an expert skier/snowboarder, this piste is nice and wide, you can see me, why do you feel obliged to practically rub shoulders with me?

Sorry, just overthinking as usual.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What do people think about skiing with music? I was wondering if I stuck in some headphones so that I can't hear people approaching from behind that might help?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think music would have the complete opposite effect. Not being able to hear people approach is going to leave you even more startled and surprised if the pass closer than they should.

Similar to goggles, I find these can really kill peripheral vision, sunglasses work well if the conditions allow
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimummk, sympathise, my wife (same age) has struggled with her skiing this year. Not quite the surgical interventions you have had, but on top of the gap since last skiing caused by Covid she damaged some ligament in her back and has been having physiotherapy. And she has a weaker right side anyway.

A few weeks ago she fell a couple of times, and each time it was exactly as you describe - she pulled back from a turn on the right side of the piste when she had already initiated it. I am pretty sure if she had kept going on the line she had committed to she would have had no problem. It didn't help that she isn't used to falling - she always used to be a better skier than me (she persuaded me to try it because she had done it and enjoyed it previously) which meant I got a lot of practice falling in my attempts to keep up with her while she skiied within her capability.

When we get back out (dates unfortunately subject to some medical treatment for me) we are planning to book some solid private instruction, hoping that will help her re-find her previously good technique and re-establish confidence in it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimummk, April 10th is the week containing good Friday. I like the idea of going that week and perhaps returning on the Bank Holiday. Even though the school holidays start that day it will not be very busy, it involves only one zone, and not an Alpine zone at that. The French tend not to go skiing at Easter anyway. In fact it will be a quiet week.

As to which resort I would suggest one of the high Tarentaise resorts. Val Thorens may be connected to the 3 vallies but you can get a lift pass for VT alone. Arc2000 would also be good.

As for fear of someone coming down fast behind you try not to think about it (you know that already). They usually miss you, but you could ask your daughter to ski shotgun behind you making sure no one else comes close.

On age grounds alone 59 is far too young to be considering giving up skiing. Some people start at that age.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimummk, personally, I really like skiing to music, and find it helps a lot if I'm anxious, especially in horrid weather. It makes it less likely that you will hear someone coming close behind but 99% of the time a nervous, unskilled, skier who changes their line in a jerky fear to avoid a collision is going to make things worse.

Your preference for one turn over another is par for the course - most of us have a stronger side. It's the way you'd turn in an emergency stop, and for me that's a left turn - in part because I have a long history of left knee injuries/operations and I protect it instinctively. A lesson at Snozone could definitely help you with basic technique - which none of us can learn when we're out of our comfort zone. It's really all about getting the weight right - and the more challenged you feel, the more important it is to get the weight early, and firmly, onto the outside ski of the turn (which starts off as the uphill ski and becomes the downhill ski once the turn is completed). An instructor could certainly help with that in an indoor ski centre - once you are into OMG territory you can learn nothing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
It makes it less likely that you will hear someone coming close behind but 99% of the time a nervous, unskilled, skier who changes their line in a jerky fear to avoid a collision is going to make things worse.

It reminds me of the advice we got when on scooters in Vietnam (in the chaos of hundreds of scooters and seemingly no road rules). Just keep going straight, and let them avoid you. Don't try to avoid them, as you'll just cause a crash - they can predict your movements if you drive straight and predictably. Any last minutes swerves=disaster!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hubby says to try and be as predictable as possible, but I apparently put in way too many turns - him and son reckon I ski 3 times the distance they do on any one piste!
snow report
@skimummk. My wife is also anxious but she loves skiing. She has been hit by other skiers/boarders more than once, but never injured. On recent (pre-Covid) trips she has asked me to ski directly above her, my role being to prevent faster skiers from getting too close. This has worked well and I have quite enjoyed concentrating on keeping her in the fall line and matching her sometimes unpredictable turns. Perhaps your daughter could do this? She enjoys the Three Valleys. Val Thorens would be a good choice for you. Have fun.
snow conditions
I'd maybe think about the combination of ski resort and recommended instructor on this one. Alpe d'Huez with some instruction from Masterclass could be a good option.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
pam w wrote:
It makes it less likely that you will hear someone coming close behind but 99% of the time a nervous, unskilled, skier who changes their line in a jerky fear to avoid a collision is going to make things worse.

It reminds me of the advice we got when on scooters in Vietnam (in the chaos of hundreds of scooters and seemingly no road rules). Just keep going straight, and let them avoid you. Don't try to avoid them, as you'll just cause a crash - they can predict your movements if you drive straight and predictably. Any last minutes swerves=disaster!

also applies to crossing busy streets in Vietnam, predictable steady movement with no doubling back and the traffic will avoid you. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Obergurgl, Obergurgl, and Obergurgl. Smile
snow conditions
Obergurgl . . .or if you must visit France Montgenevre
ski holidays
A private instructor, briefed accordingly, can do wonders. My last one taught me how to stop, after 30 years. What a waste I thought. But after two days suddenly I could stop with perfect control and no fear down a steep at the side of the piste. When you are no longer afraid of losing control and falling, all other techniques come easily. Be clear to explain what your problem is, mental and physical, and you may get your answer.
ski holidays
OK fellas, what's so great about Obergurgl? I have friends who went there a few times and really didn't like it. So sell it to the OP?
latest report
pam w wrote:
OK fellas, what's so great about Obergurgl? I have friends who went there a few times and really didn't like it. So sell it to the OP?

Why did they keep going back? wink wink
ski holidays
Good question. They are extraordinarily conservative. It was the first place they went, and they didn't know any better, I guess. After visiting us in Les Saisies several times, they bought their own apartment there, but only ever explored a fraction of the (relatively modest....) number of pistes. They - he especially - were pretty timid skiers. Made me feel like Michaela Shiffrin in comparison. Laughing
latest report
Echoing advice above.

Get fit as best you can beforehand, including the typical ski conditioning exercises, cycling if you can and lots of stretching or yoga. Time invested now, will give you one less thing to concern yourself about on the pistes and make injury less likely.

I’d recommend Hochgurgl over Obergurgl at that late date - better snow and wide gentle slopes back to the hotels.

Private lessons with a good english speaker are a must from session one. Not cheap, but you want to systematically resurrect your skiing past.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Good question. They are extraordinarily conservative. It was the first place they went, and they didn't know any better, I guess. After visiting us in Les Saisies several times, they bought their own apartment there, but only ever explored a fraction of the (relatively modest....) number of pistes. They - he especially - were pretty timid skiers. Made me feel like Michaela Shiffrin in comparison. Laughing

Laughing Laughing
Makes sense - must admit there's been times when it's a case of 'better the devil you know'.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Its anxiety free - probably due to the amount of grey hair on the slopes but also poss the lack of inexperienced snowboarders . . .never felt as safe on the pistes as in Obergrugl . . .maybe peeps are just more courteous in general?

I will counter this in that after a week it could be considered a little dull - wide open moonscape pistes / lo key apres - but it is Austria and it is quality!
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I'd maybe think about the combination of ski resort and recommended instructor on this one. Alpe d'Huez with some instruction from Masterclass could be a good option.

Having experienced Masterclass, I recommend this suggestion, great guys who really understand how to give confidence to nervous skiers. No idea what Alpe d’ Huez is like in April but lovely cruisey runs when we were there in January 4 years ago.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The great thing about being with local instructors is that they'll know exactly where to go!
snow report
Quote:

I will counter this in that after a week it could be considered a little dull - wide open moonscape pistes / lo key apres - but it is Austria and it is quality

Is it so unusual to have a quality resort in Austria? There must be others
snow conditions
We are taking a total beginner to Cervinia in Late March, because of the easy to progress cruisey skiing. High so most if not all will be available down to the town,
ski holidays
My husband is a nervous skier and this year after a break of three years due COVID, I insisted after day two that he had an Instructor after that (he’ll do exercises with them but won’t with me for some reason haha). This definitely helped with his mindset (I get constant cries of “oh that looks steep” when looking up at a hill etc) and also brushing up on technique which will always help as obvs the skier will feel more in control if they’re executing their turns better. This was also at a virtually empty resort (although the snow could be a bit hard and icy in places) so he was able to resort to lengthy traverses and occasional long side slips, but STILL felt nervous. It’s def an “in the mind” thing, I feel.
I would recommend Isola 2000 for April which is a bit of a left field suggestion. It’s highest point is 2,400 metres but keeps most of its snow. It has lots of extremely wide, genuine blue runs which are very picturesque and pleasant to ski for a better mindset. There are some wide reds which will give confidence - steep enough to give a boost, but no horrors as such for a nervous skier. Loads of restaurants and coffee stops - v important to take a break when you’re feeling a bit wobbly.
Ps are there others on here who wonder where the “nervous husbands” are??! I seem to read “my wife is a bit nervous of this or that” a lot on here, ….. but I’ve seen some excellent British women skiers out there in the slopes, so……
ski holidays
… actually, answering the question myself, Pam W, and Skimummk with her millions of turns are clearly excellent skiers. Go girls!
ski holidays
@Kimski44, I’m not sure if I qualify as a nervous husband. Mrs SL is certainly more confident at standing on the edge of a steep off-piste pitch (I appreciate that is a value loaded statement in itself). She likes to discuss the best line. I’m much happier hanging back and saying “if you are comfortable I can ski it then I am comfortable, but I would rather not stand here debating the issue”. At which point she usually disappears and I do my best to pick up the line after the appropriate gap.
I take the view that everyone has an “angle of incompetence”. By which I mean you are comfortable and have sound technique up to a point of the “oh sh*t” moment. In general that will increase with experience, but will be influenced by all sorts of things on any given day, not least (old) age and injury, but also things like having children (or other caring responsibilities) or a mortgage that only you can pay. Clearly different for everyone. I think it generally holds true that many women think they can’t, but can and many men think they can but can’t. Probably a societal rather than a snow sports issue.
ski holidays
Obertauern in Austria is a smaller resort that will have bags of snow in April.
There isn't a great deal of vertical so it's easy to get back to the resort if you need to. No long gondola ride to the ski area.
It is a bit of a moonscape too but I guess that's a feature of higher resorts.
Apres can be lively in a non covid peak season.
snow report
Quote:

a mortgage that only you can pay

When I was the sole earner in my family (OH did not-at-all-profitable academic sort of stuff and childcare) and only I could pay the mortgage I always had life insurance, and "critical illness" insurance, which would have paid it off. So if I was scared at the top of a steep slope it was not because of concern that my husband and kids would be queuing at the door of the work house if I broke my neck.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy